Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

*sigh* Only another 140 days until everyone's too busy playing this to give a poo poo about inane posts.

At least Anno 2205 comes out a week ahead of time, that should help tide me over for the final stretch.

I'd laugh at you thinking anything would ever stem the tide of shitposting, but it's too easy and also sorta sad :(

edit content:

So, I noticed during the video showing off Power Armor customization that an old MK1 Enclave helm is an option, hoping they ditched their terrible MK2 look in favor of the goofy Remnants style

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Let me rephrase it then - I'll be too busy playing this to give a poo poo about inane posts. Not that I give a poo poo now, but they need to be sifted through to find new information sadly.

Magmarashi posted:

So, I noticed during the video showing off Power Armor customization that an old MK1 Enclave helm is an option, hoping they ditched their terrible MK2 look in favor of the goofy Remnants style
The fact that Enclave armour is in the game means that the Enclave are probably mentioned at some point. Even stranger though is that APA and APA Mk2 were developed after the war by the Enclave in their super secret Pacific club house.

EXPLAIN THAT ONE BETHESDA! Also, where did the Enclave get all its food on the Poseidon Oil Rig? How did they live out there for all that time with no farms?

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 23, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Unreal Tournament 2004 had a hyper-successful "speech to text" feature rolled into the game that allowed typed messages to be read aloud during matches, simulating mentally-disabled speech via Windows built-in speech-to-text accessibility option.

The rumor is that Fallout 4 will feature a similar wrapper that ties into Windows 10's "Cortana" feature. Cortana, along with male companion-voice "John-117", will provide players with alternative voice options when building characters (as opposed to being stuck with the main male/female protagonist VA). The speech software will run in the background and read the lines dynamically. "The software works," T. Howard answered when asked about the subject at E3. "We know it works. And since the player is an android, [Cortana's/John-117's] readings will work especially well with our game."

Apple has been entertaining a similar feature for Fallout 4 OS, only using Siri and "Australian Male".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

EXPLAIN THAT ONE BETHESDA! Also, where did the Enclave get all its food on the Poseidon Oil Rig? How did they live out there for all that time with no farms?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lotish posted:

Someone already suggested that a four button system could just have a "more" button to access another list of dialogue options, but another tweak that would allow for more would be to have a "page" button (like Right Trigger) that lets you flip through up to four options at a time, each hot keyed to a face button. That would honestly be better for me than scrolling through a giant list in the rare situations a giant list comes up.

The system as shown doesn't have to be a death-knell of four-plus dialogue choice options.

I'm less worried about the four button system and more concerned with with the three words summaries for them conveying the wrong message or even delivering the completely wrong tone of the message.

Prime example: Link

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You're so clever. :downsbravo:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 23, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unreal Tournament 2004 had a hyper-successful "speech to text" feature rolled into the game that allowed typed messages to be read aloud during matches, simulating mentally-disabled speech via Windows built-in speech-to-text accessibility option.

The rumor is that Fallout 4 will feature a similar wrapper that ties into Windows 10's "Cortana" feature. Cortana, along with male companion-voice "John-117", will provide players with alternative voice options when building characters (as opposed to being stuck with the main male/female protagonist VA). The speech software will run in the background and read the lines dynamically. "The software works," T. Howard answered when asked about the subject at E3. "We know it works. And since the player is an android, [Cortana's/John-117's] readings will work especially well with our game."

Apple has been entertaining a similar feature for Fallout 4 OS, only using Siri and "Australian Male".

This guy's fakeposts own and I love them. *John Fallout voice* John Fallout approved

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back Hack posted:

I'm less worried about the four button system and more concerned with with the three words summaries for them conveying the wrong message or even delivering the completely wrong tone of the message.

I mostly saw that problem in LA Noire, which is entirely because that game just gave generic "Truth, Doubt, Lie" options for believing their statement and you literally didn't get a single clue as to what Cole would claim or accuse the person of depending on what they picked. I remember in "A Slip of the Tongue" choosing Doubt when a driver in a car smuggling ring said she didn't know another driver, expecting Cole to go "Yes you do, stop bullshitting." Instead he launched into some tale about the two drivers being secret lovers and she was taking advantage of his infatuation to betray him. I was stunned at how off the rails it went.

Then again, this is a game where choosing to Doubt a suspect's claim of being engaged could cause Cole to instantaneously launch into a tirade of racist, sexist, and politically bigoted epithets....on the correct answer.

Cole Phelps is kind of a shithead.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Back Hack posted:

Prime example: Link

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this example (I haven't played the ME games) but saying "I can shut him up" is pretty clear the intent is to knock him out. It does bug me when the options don't actually match what's being said, though.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I mostly saw that problem in LA Noire, which is entirely because that game just gave generic "Truth, Doubt, Lie" options for believing their statement and you literally didn't get a single clue as to what Cole would claim or accuse the person of depending on what they picked. I remember in "A Slip of the Tongue" choosing Doubt when a driver in a car smuggling ring said she didn't know another driver, expecting Cole to go "Yes you do, stop bullshitting." Instead he launched into some tale about the two drivers being secret lovers and she was taking advantage of his infatuation to betray him. I was stunned at how off the rails it went.

Then again, this is a game where choosing to Doubt a suspect's claim of being engaged could cause Cole to instantaneously launch into a tirade of racist, sexist, and politically bigoted epithets....on the correct answer.

That even kind of happens in the Fallout 4 demo a little, somehow "GET FOOD" translates "What!? Food? Y-yeah sure, I guess? I need a minute to think."

Garrand posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this example (I haven't played the ME games) but saying "I can shut him up" is pretty clear the intent is to knock him out. It does bug me when the options don't actually match what's being said, though.

Maybe for you, but I and many others misinterpreted as something else entirely. Me personally, I thought he was going to sedate him or something, I didn't think Shepard would slug him. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 23, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back Hack posted:

That even kind of happens in the Fallout 4 demo a little, somehow "GET FOOD" translates "What!? Food? Y-yeah sure, I guess? I need a minute to think."

Well, those both still have the same meaning and one is just a little embellished with personality and context. LA Noire leaves it entirely up to Cole as to what he's going to accuse the person of, and unfortunately Cole Phelps is a racist misogynistic right-winger with a rather flexible idea of how police officers operate. Basically his entire repertoire is to either throw out really bigoted insults or threaten to take the innocent person out back and break their legs if they don't give up info. And you have no idea which option he's going to take until he opens his mouth!

I know that LA Noire had a lot of the casual racism and misogyny intentionally, but it ends up falling pretty flat when you're meant to empathize with any of the characters and they almost unanimously end up behaving like your racist grandpa.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Maybe for you, but I and many others misinterpreted as something else entirely. Me personally, I thought he was going to sedate him or something, I didn't think Shepard would slug him. :v:

It is important for any Shepard to establish early on that all their problems are punchable

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Back Hack posted:

"I can shut him up" is not a line that's ever gonna translate to something nice happening to the person in question. "I can calm him down" could be your sedation scenario, but "shut him up" is clearly a more aggressive wording which turns into aggressive actions.

Very rarely if ever in ME or DA did I find myself feeling like my character didn't say what I expected based on the prompts. It really wasn't that hard to figure out.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Epi Lepi posted:

"I can shut him up" is not a line that's ever gonna translate to something nice happening to the person in question. "I can calm him down" could be your sedation scenario, but "shut him up" is clearly a more aggressive wording which turns into aggressive actions.

Very rarely if ever in ME or DA did I find myself feeling like my character didn't say what I expected based on the prompts. It really wasn't that hard to figure out.

I had issues with some of those at first, and though I can't remember specific ones off the top of my head, even when I "got it" I'd still pick something that ended up being different from what I had intended or hoped it meant.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/22/why-fallout-4s-protagonists-have-voices

quote:

"We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want," he said.

:ironicat:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

T. "Shitler" Howard demonstrating an attempt to combine two falsehoods into a truth.

IT ONLY WORKS FOR NEGATIVES, T. HOWARD.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I hope there are giant mutant fish out in the ocean, we need a fishing minigame.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'm guessing we're going to get to break the physics engine again in FO 4 because it's not gonna be frame-locked on PC.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Scyantific posted:

I'm guessing we're going to get to break the physics engine again in FO 4 because it's not gonna be frame-locked on PC.

If I can't get myself killed by nudging a shopping cart full of empty cereal boxes the wrong way, then I don't know why anyone would even bother picking this game up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Grinning Goblin posted:

If I can't get myself killed by nudging a shopping cart full of empty cereal boxes the wrong way, then I don't know why anyone would even bother picking this game up.

No reason to buy it on consoles then :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I thought this was one of those Cream-Of-Plenty joke posts but that bit you quoted isn't even the maddest thing in there :psyduck:

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

So judge dredding by this image here, I'm starting to get the feeling that feeling that a lot of the (at least high level) combat will revolve around shooting off the plate armor of dudes with explosives or heavy weapons, then spraying their soft, pimply flesh with high DPS weapons.

Could be good if they actually tweak the AI and mechanics so that power-armored dudes actually take advantage of their high defense -- either hang back and pound away at you with miniguns and explosives, or trudge up to you with a melee weapon to kill you in 2-3 hits. But it's Bethesda, so nope.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Manket posted:

So judge dredding by this image here, I'm starting to get the feeling that feeling that a lot of the (at least high level) combat will revolve around shooting off the plate armor of dudes with explosives or heavy weapons, then spraying their soft, pimply flesh with high DPS weapons.

Could be good if they actually tweak the AI and mechanics so that power-armored dudes actually take advantage of their high defense -- either hang back and pound away at you with miniguns and explosives, or trudge up to you with a melee weapon to kill you in 2-3 hits. But it's Bethesda, so nope.

Eh, they mentioned hiring some bungie devs and other talent to help with the combat, so I'll wait til I see it to judge.

I mean, this is Bethesda proper's first big game after the megahit Skyrim, how much bigger is the budget and how much would that allow for them?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Honestly having to shoot through armor to kill dudes sounds cool at first. But like with any "complex" combat mechanic along those lines, I can easily imagine it getting to be really, really obnoxious when you reach high levels and every enemy starts showing up in an entire scrapyards worth of armor and fights become slow slogs unless you specifically spec in explosives or something.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

the dialog options in LA noire were actually originally called something like coax/force/lie instead of truth/doubt/lie, with the idea being that force is phelps saying stuff that is obviously false to scare whoever he's interrogating into giving up. they renamed it because apparently it was too difficult to communicate how it would work to the player which is sort of insane when you consider how much crazier it ends up being in the final game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

If you play Fallout 3, you know, Liam Neeson is the voice of your dad, and there are some good emotional beats there, but there's only so much you can do when you're clicking on a line of dialog and there's no spoken response,

So the emotional depth that we got by having a voiced protagonist has actually [made the story] way more tense than I ever expected.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Honestly having to shoot through armor to kill dudes sounds cool at first. But like with any "complex" combat mechanic along those lines, I can easily imagine it getting to be really, really obnoxious when you reach high levels and every enemy starts showing up in an entire scrapyards worth of armor and fights become slow slogs unless you specifically spec in explosives or something.

Same thoughts here basically. If there's a whole set of perks associated with wearing PA "better" then it could lengthen the playability of the mechanic. In fact, I can totally see Bethesda making a skill-tree for PA with names like "Power sprint" "Mailed fist" "Legs of Steel" "Abs of Steel".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dammit why can't Todd just talk about the perk system instead, voiced protagonist is not that big of a deal :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Manket posted:

Same thoughts here basically. If there's a whole set of perks associated with wearing PA "better" then it could lengthen the playability of the mechanic. In fact, I can totally see Bethesda making a skill-tree for PA with names like "Power sprint" "Mailed fist" "Legs of Steel" "Abs of Steel".

Just based on how they're framing it, it looks like the power armor is going to take center stage for the combat. I imagine you might have to get out of it for interiors or something, and there looks to be some kind of fuel management system. But they basically just turned the power armor into a mech suit. Again, I'm assuming based on how they presented this in screenshots, and I figure it'll aid in bypassing armored opponents as well.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
I wonder why couldn't they simply take the "Taken" storyline and then use it to get Fallout 3 going. They already had Neeson in the loop, so all they had to do was to make the player to play "The pops" and make him voiced. Just imagine your character talking with Colonel Austin over the radio and saying:

quote:

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular SPECIAL set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter/son go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.

Now you're going to play a voiced over dad that sets out to find out what happened to his family and ho....
...oh...

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
lol who could listen to Liam neesons lines in Fallout 3 and think yes emotion, depth, weight let's put more stuff like that in fallout 4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's exactly what I thought. Hell, I'm thinking it right now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"PS3 is the best system to develop for. Good tools, good speed, and loads of "gaman"...working with these strange aliens was refreshing. Making "burst-fire emotional experiences" is truly their number one focus and they helped us a lot when working on the system before it was totally done. We'll continue to support the PS3. I wish everyone owned one so they knew how good it is...when someone asks me if they should get Fallout 3 for PC or PS3, I tell them to get the PS3 game--I know it'll work perfectly."

--T. Howard, shortly before climbing into a plane made to look like a miniature version of the Mothership Zeta during a PS3 promotion of the Fallout 3 DLC and attempting to "find out where all of these aliens came from".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

"PS3 is the best system to develop for. Good tools, good speed, and loads of "gaman"...working with these strange aliens was refreshing. Making "burst-fire emotional experiences" is truly their number one focus and they helped us a lot when working on the system before it was totally done. We'll continue to support the PS3. I wish everyone owned one so they knew how good it is...when someone asks me if they should get Fallout 3 for PC or PS3, I tell them to get the PS3 game--I know it'll work perfectly."

--T. Howard, shortly before climbing into a plane made to look like a miniature version of the Mothership Zeta during a PS3 promotion of the Fallout 3 DLC and attempting to "find out where all of these aliens came from".

:golfclap:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I can't imagine playing morrowind on the xbox. :psyduck:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It just works!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wonder if the wedding ring is irremovable as a Quest Item. Or you can do it and even sell it, only to regret it in the future for some reason :ohdear:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

I can't imagine playing morrowind on the xbox. :psyduck:

It's fine. The only thing that sucked was no mods but when I played it I wasn't aware of the modding scene so :shrug:

It didn't have the console but at least it had cheats to regen your health, magicka, and fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

I wonder if the wedding ring is irremovable as a Quest Item. Or you can do it and even sell it, only to regret it in the future for some reason :ohdear:

I will be very happy if there's an achievement/trophy for never taking it off.

• Locked thread