Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I hope for some expansion in a new zone where you get to meet Saskia, Iorweth and maybe Jan Natalis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Isn't there a wanted poster for Iorveth?

the only explicit details from TW2 that I can think of that get discussed are when Roche and Letho meet in Kaer Morhen if you get both to help you

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

alex314 posted:

I hope for some expansion in a new zone where you get to meet Saskia, Iorweth and maybe Jan Natalis.
I want Ves back :swoon: she was the hottest and had some sick tattoos (that you only saw during a sex scene but hey).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ves is in the game, what are you talking about?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
And with an even more ridiculously impractical shirt

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While I'm reminescenting about Witcher 2 I must say that I liked Rebelka's cutscene animations more than the ones in Witcher 3. They're still good on their own but I just dig the previous illustrator's crazy style. Here's a page with his different works if anybody's interested.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

You barely get to hang out with Ves and Roche, most you get is 2-3 short quests and then a bit at the end of act 2. I've posted it before, but I'd love to play as a new recruit in Blue Stripes or whatever's left of Temerian army between W2 and W3. It would put stuff in perspective, where you simply cannot defeat this one loving wraith, and have to contact the professional so you can visit some dungeon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's hilarious that one guy legitimately thought that Skyrim and Oblivion's quests were more intellectually and emotionally engaging than the Witcher 3's and he posted as much just as he started the Bloody Baron questline.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

He's entitled to his opinion, maybe there's something in W3 story and quest design that simply doesn't mesh with his expectations.. For me W3 has changed the way I look at quests in RPGs, I regularily replay Skyrim with some new set of mods, and when I look at quests and their outcome now your choices lack meaning. You pick a side in civil war, and a Jarl or three changes. You shank a couple of important characters, perform human sacrifice once or twice, do really terrible stuff (if you want that daedra achievment) in addition to the usual helping stuff, but in the end nothing bites you in the rear end. An Archmage, Whisperer, Nightingale, Companion, Thane of all of holds, Vampire and Dragonborn enter the tavern, s/he approaches the tender, asks for rumors and leaves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hi, I'm the Dragonborn, but you can call me the chosen one if you prefer, I'm the Arch Mage in the Mages Guild, Leader of the Thieves Guild and I'm also the leader of an organisation that takes on contract killings. Sure, that's illegal, but it's not like there's gonna be any ramifications from any people who know that, and sure enough, they do know that even if I don't tell them because of how the game works. They also seem to know I'm super good at lockpicking too.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
geralt stop trying to talk to eskel and examine obelisks while you are fighting a chort that is my dodge button

and stop putting your sodding sword away every time it headbutts you

you are the worst witcher

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TES is a power fantasy that's all about freedom of choice and letting you do whatever you want. It's not really a fair comparison to this game, which has a defined role for a preestablished character. That being said, while The Witcher is objectively and undeniably better written than any TES game, that doesn't mean it is to everyone's taste. Liking the quests in Skyrim or what have you more than what is in The Witcher 3 is totally fair.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Some glitches in this game compete with the bug insanity in Assassin's Creed games. Roach getting stuck on things, Geralt's out of body swimming experience, levitating items sometimes even replacing NPCs and flying around, random people getting trapped in cutscenes etc. It's hilarious.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I must be lucky in that regard, because the only glitch I've seen was a little girl standing in the deep water in one of Skellige island harbours. Like fully submerged with a couple of meters of water above her head. Her hair were moving with waves. I've thought that it's a part of some quest and it's a ghost, but found nothing nearby.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Manatee Cannon posted:

That being said, while The Witcher is objectively and undeniably better written than any TES game, that doesn't mean it is to everyone's taste. Liking the quests in Skyrim or what have you more than what is in The Witcher 3 is totally fair.
He specifically wrote that Witcher 3's writing is on a fanfiction level and intellectually not stimulating while in Oblivion on the other hand... Also calling out Witcher 3 on fetch quests while comparing it to Bethesda games.

I have no problem with people having preferences in gameplay design but that's just being purposefully obtuse or something.

Or trolling, in which case well done I guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

alex314 posted:

I must be lucky in that regard, because the only glitch I've seen was a little girl standing in the deep water in one of Skellige island harbours. Like fully submerged with a couple of meters of water above her head. Her hair were moving with waves. I've thought that it's a part of some quest and it's a ghost, but found nothing nearby.
Let me tell you about that swimming glitch:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Palpek posted:

In a game that emphasises consequences of your actions with even minor quests getting little follow-ups it is really strange that Iorveth isn't even mentioned once. Neither is Saskia. It's like the choice of that path in Witcher 2 has been completely ignored considering that you do get to see Roche, Letho, Eilhart and even Sile. Or as somebody said it'll get a mention in one of the expansions or something as Elven terrorists and a shapeshifting dragon are interesting enough to be used somewhere.

I saw Saskia mentioned once. I imported a Iorvath path save where I saved Triss instead of freeing Saskia. When I got the chance to talk to Philippa before getting on the boat to Skellige I could ask her about Saskia. She said she lost her control over Saskia as soon as the war broke out and she has no idea what she's up to now.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Seaman!?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Palpek posted:

I understand that but I don't even expect to meet them just maybe hear about them or talk to somebody who knows anything. Hell, I would accept a casualty report from the region that lists both as dead, whatever. Considering Geralt's investment into the plot of Iorveth+Saskia's act 2 you'd expect he would want to know what happened to them after Nilfgaard steamrolled over the country. It's just strange that it's as if that choice isn't canon in a game that makes it a point to let you import a save state from the previous title.

Which again makes me think they want to use it in an expansion and didn't simply ignore it.

I'm expecting that to be one of the expansions, and that is why I'm not touching a new game right now.
Which is a shame, because I really, really want to.

Manatee Cannon posted:

TES is a power fantasy that's all about freedom of choice and letting you do whatever you want. It's not really a fair comparison to this game, which has a defined role for a preestablished character. That being said, while The Witcher is objectively and undeniably better written than any TES game, that doesn't mean it is to everyone's taste. Liking the quests in Skyrim or what have you more than what is in The Witcher 3 is totally fair.

The comment was more "I don't like the story because none of it makes sense, why do I even want to save this girl" which I, personally, cannot stand. You aren't playing a medieval face dancer (Telltale needs to make a Dune series, tia), you are playing Geralt.

I can accept however that if you go into this game wearing blinkers what you see could be viewed as very sparse and boring, but if you go into video games wearing blinkers you probably also think that CoD is better than Metro (which is a holistically wrong opinion :colbert:).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 23, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Badly Jester posted:

didn't Comte say he was working on that, or am I misremembering things?

I'm working on some stuff you should enjoy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

What swimming glitch?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Team Golf tournament where you pick between team human: Geralt, Ves, Thaler and Lambert and team Troll, with returning performance of W2 bridge troll.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

alex314 posted:

Team Golf tournament where you pick between team human: Geralt, Ves, Thaler and Lambert and team Troll, with returning performance of W2 bridge troll.

Husband and Wife Troll Team or get stuffed.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anti-Hero posted:

I know I hosed around a ton with crafting in the early game. I'm at 110 hours and I'm clearing out my quest log before doing Ugly Baby. Did you do any of the witcher contracts?

Ha, I'm currently doing the exact same thing. Level 23? Guess it's time to do that level 7 quest I forgot about.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

That health bar is blood-colored. The more wizard drugs you take, the more it turns yellow/green. It's just letting you know that you're hosed up on wizard drugs.

By 'it' you mean your blood, right? Your blood is now yellow/green because you've taken way too many wizard drugs.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Random question - is this game more dependent on GPU or CPU? I've been playing on a computer below minimum specs (i5-2500 and a GTX-560), but I've only got enough budget to upgrade one component. I'm guessing a GPU upgrade would be my best bet?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

webmeister posted:

Random question - is this game more dependent on GPU or CPU? I've been playing on a computer below minimum specs (i5-2500 and a GTX-560), but I've only got enough budget to upgrade one component. I'm guessing a GPU upgrade would be my best bet?

Definitely. I'm running i7-920 which is a bit slower but generally in the same bracket as your CPU, and game runs with almost all stuff on high-ultra (save hairworks) on radeon 7970.
Get a ssd if you don't have one.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Palpek posted:

Some glitches in this game compete with the bug insanity in Assassin's Creed games. Roach getting stuck on things, Geralt's out of body swimming experience, levitating items sometimes even replacing NPCs and flying around, random people getting trapped in cutscenes etc. It's hilarious.

I had a bug on the console version where Geralt would jump every time I moved the joystick in any direction. It persisted after reloading my previous save too until getting on my horse somehow fixed the issue. I felt like I'd taken a kangaroo potion by accident or something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Palpek posted:

No wonder he hates doublets.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

webmeister posted:

I'm on the same set-up. Get a GPU, not really a competition, honestly.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

I found this guy way west in Skellige sitting on a tiny island, I helped him out and now he wants a book from me. I found one that he HATED but the vendors I've checked since then have been unfruitful. Any suggestions?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Hey why didn't they reuse the bridge troll model from Witcher 2? poo poo was tite.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey why didn't they reuse the bridge troll model from Witcher 2? poo poo was tite.

reasons, probably (I dunno)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Did a fun quest at Skellige, killed a wraith, forced an rear end in a top hat lightkeeper off an island. Then the cool bro who gave me the quest and I got into a fist fight at the bar. They murdered cool bro and I kiled them in self defense. Of course I get thrown in jail because no one testified on my behalf. I'm so glad I had mind trick because I was too annoyed to figure out the "real" way out of that prison

Actually, I was more annoyed when I googled and found out that I did nothing wrong and that the murder of cool bro is unavoidable.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JetsGuy posted:

Did a fun quest at Skellige, killed a wraith, forced an rear end in a top hat lightkeeper off an island. Then the cool bro who gave me the quest and I got into a fist fight at the bar. They murdered cool bro and I kiled them in self defense. Of course I get thrown in jail because no one testified on my behalf. I'm so glad I had mind trick because I was too annoyed to figure out the "real" way out of that prison

Actually, I was more annoyed when I googled and found out that I did nothing wrong and that the murder of cool bro is unavoidable.

Wait, that fight never happened on my playthrough, but I didn't directly antagonise those dudes when I walked into the bar, so cool bro is still around. Either that or it didn't trigger when I came back.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^^^^^^
I've did that quest differently, no wonder Geralt had a piece of dialogue "I wonder what caused this" when I've finished.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Huge, too. I really liked the giant trolls - the threat balanced by how polite they could be.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

I also had this happen, but it was because I didn't get the contract from him but rather just stumbled upon the lighthouse and the wraith. Went to the bar, got the reward, drank with the guy, fought with the two yokels (even though I was going for a "let's all have a drink" route instead of "you givin' me poo poo? try me" and got my rear end thrown into jail.

Still kicking myself too for going back when the game said OK YOU CAN GO BACK NAO and not searching the lighthouse interior, so I couldn't call the BS on the guy for being in league with pirates.

It still lead to the innkeeper going all mute and me not getting the Thaler card, but they fixed it in the last patch, I think.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think it's hilarious that one guy legitimately thought that Skyrim and Oblivion's quests were more intellectually and emotionally engaging than the Witcher 3's and he posted as much just as he started the Bloody Baron questline.
And got salty when our "echo chamber" called him out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's true actually we're terrible.