Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Finally got my last job. White Mage, Time Mage, Beastmaster, and Samurai: this seems like a pretty well-rounded party with great survivability and a few good emergency skills. Samurai doesn't synergize with the others for poo poo, but it's better than dragoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Up to nine now! One more for a Berserker next year!

(I assume it's fine if I donate next year to bump up Berserkers, if not I can donate after the cap inevitably hits)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bufuman posted:

Only if you're really, really patient and lucky, since your only non-Berserker source of damage would be Trident Jumps from your Dragoon, and I'm not sure that'll get past his defense.

The Trident is lightning elemental and therefore ignores Omega's defense entirely. It would still be next to impossible, since each jump does little damage, Omega has very nasty counterattacks, and two party members are effectively useless.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Mega64 posted:

Up to nine now! One more for a Berserker next year!

(I assume it's fine if I donate next year to bump up Berserkers, if not I can donate after the cap inevitably hits)

10!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I never pay attention to Blue magic in this game, but now I've got Blue/Red/Ninja. The guides make it sound like I'll need Control to get like half of the spells; am I screwed out of stuff like White Wind? I confused a Mythril Dragon for Fusion but I dunno if that will work for other stuff.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

megane posted:

I never pay attention to Blue magic in this game, but now I've got Blue/Red/Ninja. The guides make it sound like I'll need Control to get like half of the spells; am I screwed out of stuff like White Wind? I confused a Mythril Dragon for Fusion but I dunno if that will work for other stuff.

Control and Confuse are almost 1:1. There are a couple enemies that will never cast a spell without Control, but they are very rare and Confuse should do the job for nearly every spell.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Final configuration: Knight/M.Knight/Ninja/Dragoon.

Y'know what makes for an exciting stream? Me turning off the game sound since I had to fast-forward through farming 200000 gil, and choosing to fill the time crooning. "FLY ME TO THE MOON... no, wait, wrong game."

But now everyone has Flame Rings, and my Spellblades get equipped with Curaga Sword.

Do !Thrown scrolls trigger Omniscient's gag reflex, or am I stuck just Mute Swording his face in?

(I didn't choose the No750 life, the No750 life chose me.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NBHS posted:

Final configuration: Knight/M.Knight/Ninja/Dragoon.

Y'know what makes for an exciting stream? Me turning off the game sound since I had to fast-forward through farming 200000 gil, and choosing to fill the time crooning. "FLY ME TO THE MOON... no, wait, wrong game."

But now everyone has Flame Rings, and my Spellblades get equipped with Curaga Sword.

Do !Thrown scrolls trigger Omniscient's gag reflex, or am I stuck just Mute Swording his face in?

(I didn't choose the No750 life, the No750 life chose me.)

Mutesword his face off. Also: the bone mail is awesome and makes biosword a much cheaper heal while letting you use hermes sandals while doing it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
More Fartz doe the Fartz pile:

Also these chumps died.

While this run was interesting in the beginning with using freelancer and then 4 BERSERKERS from after Garula till Cresent Island, the rest of the run was basically like my risk run last year, Monk Zerk Bard Zerk.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
The fourth death sickle
The sandworm looms above me
My broken space bar

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Set up a script to grind Moldwynds for the four white mages and went out for an hour.

Apparently Lenna flailed Bartz to death along the way, leaving him 3 levels behind. Sucker.

Still only 24. I'm really not sure there's any way to do this that isn't basically doing it the solo way and running him out of MP - there's only one Healing Staff to go around, and an entire party of level 1 White Mages with no mana isn't any better, or any more capable of beating Drain.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Red Mage. Great damage output but almost no real versatility. At least I can just hold down A while fastforwarding and kill every random encounter with 0 effort.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Monk, Mystic Knight, Ninja so far. The weird fire thing killed everyone but Fartz and left him at 12 HP, so I said "gently caress it" and had him Focus so he'd at least get one last hit in before he bit the dust.

...only Fartz wasn't the one that died :kamina:

This is a really fun game. I'm surprised I'd never tried it before now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Set up a script to grind Moldwynds for the four white mages and went out for an hour.

Apparently Lenna flailed Bartz to death along the way, leaving him 3 levels behind. Sucker.

Still only 24. I'm really not sure there's any way to do this that isn't basically doing it the solo way and running him out of MP - there's only one Healing Staff to go around, and an entire party of level 1 White Mages with no mana isn't any better, or any more capable of beating Drain.

THawk did solo white mage vs byblos at 26, having to run it out of mp before attacking. WIth 3 others on healing/unconfuse duty it shouldn't be quite as bad, but it's not going to be fast.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Galura went down like a chump. It took a while because I only attacked with Faris (only the Flail produced acceptable damage) but I never came close to dying. I've now reached Karnak and got my equipment fully up to date. 2 Berserkers and 2 White Mages should make short work of randoms for the time being.

Note for future Berserkers, don't buy Mythril Hammers. They loving suck. Stick to Mythril Knives.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dis astranagant posted:

THawk did solo white mage vs byblos at 26, having to run it out of mp before attacking. WIth 3 others on healing/unconfuse duty it shouldn't be quite as bad, but it's not going to be fast.

The biggest issue I think he's worried about is that Wind Slash is a lot harder to patch up after with four people alive, and that his MP will run out before Byblos's.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

The biggest issue I think he's worried about is that Wind Slash is a lot harder to patch up after with four people alive, and that his MP will run out before Byblos's.
This, and also that if everyone's Dischorded to L1 it's going to take an extra (dangerous) eternity to actually score the kill.

Gonna give it a go on stream because aughhh. http://hitbox.tv/cnashel

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mustard Iceman posted:

Interesting stuff; have to gain another 12 levels and farm Dark Matter; maybe I'll get around to it this weekend.

Don't use Dark Matter, it's bad and suboptimal. Use Succubus Kisses after mixing Turtle Soup six times (Turtle Shell + Antidote) to reduce his Magical Defense to 2.

Basically, come into the fight with everyone already floating via Levisalve mixes, wearing Reflect rings, and then layer on one of your Red Mages (they'll be the one to murder Omega): Goliath Tonic (Elixir + Dragon Fang), Resist Fire (Ether + Eye Drops), Hasty-Ade (Turtle Shell + Eye Drops), and Dragon Kiss (Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss). Second action involves the soloer saving their lives with an X-Potion (Potion + Ether) or an Elixir, while their teammates mix at them Life Shield (Phoenix Down + Holy Water) and two Dragon Powers (Dragon Fang + Potion).

Now that you're invincible, just slowly level yourself to 255 with Dragon Powers, hit him with six Turtle Soups, and then proceed to Succubus Kiss him to death. Bear in mind that you'll be healing yourself with X-Potions or Elixirs as you go along, and never ever attack with Succubus Kiss if a Wave Cannon is coming in his AI routine, since you won't have time to heal after a possible Mustard Bomb counter. (does not apply if you have over 3500 HP after a Goliath Tonic). Your Kisses should do like 4k damage or so.

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Fiestas for the fiesta god! This was another triple kill, too.

Do we still have people in the thread offering bounties on goon completions, other than the Fartz guy? Need to know if it's worth bothering to post these, since I'm probably gonna be doing at least a dozen more. Maybe I'll call some of those Fartz.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rixaxun posted:

Fiestas for the fiesta god! This was another triple kill, too.

Do we still have people in the thread offering bounties on goon completions, other than the Fartz guy? Need to know if it's worth bothering to post these, since I'm probably gonna be doing at least a dozen more. Maybe I'll call some of those Fartz.

Please.

It's always worth posting these. Make others revel in your glory.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I rolled a good party (BM TM Geo Chem) and am not worried about completing the game or the optionals, but is there any place the Geo gets to shine?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

derra posted:

I rolled a good party (BM TM Geo Chem) and am not worried about completing the game or the optionals, but is there any place the Geo gets to shine?

Grinding out Turtle Shells for your Chemist? :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

derra posted:

Well, they can prevent your party from taking damage from floo- oh wait, TM has float, Chemist has levisalves.

Um. They can deal AoE damage in certain plac- No, wait, BM has that covered.

Well.

They can act as a second BM or TM.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So who else here gets a profound sense of :smugwizard: every time you use Teleport when you roll Time Mage? Both to escape battle and leave dungeons.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Final loadout is Black Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Dancer. Feeling pretty lucky for my first time. Probably give the BM summon, Summoner Black Magic, and not quite sure for the Dancer/Ninja.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Supremezero posted:

Well, they can prevent your party from taking damage from floo- oh wait, TM has float, Chemist has levisalves.

Um. They can deal AoE damage in certain plac- No, wait, BM has that covered.

Well.

They can act as a second BM or TM.

Or Chemist, since everyone knows that !Mix is the only reason anyone comes to the class anyway and Geomancer's Magic is innately as good as Time Mage's. Succubus Kisses off of 48 magic is something to be feared.

!Gaia is great to have inside the Ronka Ruins since very few things there absorb wind and you're gonna be barfing out Wind Slashes, likewise the Ancient Library and Will-o-Wisp. Past that, they're basically a platform for all your other, better jobs to build off of. Better HP than either Mage, but worse than chemist. Most Strength out of the group, but you're not gonna stab people with your Air Knife and bells have a lovely hosed-up damage formula. You can see pits, in all of the two places in the game where there's hidden pits.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So, my final party is Zerk/RM/Geo/Bard. I'm thinking Equip Harps for Zerk, Dualcast for RM, Sing for Geo and... what for Bard? Equip Axes? !Red? Mostly he's going to be singing so it probably doesn't matter hugely, I guess.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a way, in a gba emulator, to make the game hit up and down for you kind like turbo but for two buttons? Anything to make this sandworm grinding faster would be cool.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Just starting World 2 today with a team of White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Samurai. Will Berserker benefit from Equip Whips or Equip Katanas?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Just starting World 2 today with a team of White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Samurai. Will Berserker benefit from Equip Whips or Equip Katanas?

Equip Whips, yeah. Very good passive, and whips are better weapons than Axes for most of the game (aside from when you need a Death Sickle).

At endgame you'll want them packing !White though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LaserShark posted:

So, my final party is Zerk/RM/Geo/Bard. I'm thinking Equip Harps for Zerk, Dualcast for RM, Sing for Geo and... what for Bard? Equip Axes? !Red? Mostly he's going to be singing so it probably doesn't matter hugely, I guess.

!Hide has a few uses, particularly with the Zombie Shinryuu strategy. Past that, !Red would give you a second source of Raise.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rixaxun posted:

yes, nine more to max out my wallet-emptying. I haven't even unlocked my water job yet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, I'm stopping my endgame warm-up Fiesta run (Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Samurai) to do an actual Fiesta run! I made it to the end of World 1 so far and I rolled...

Black Mage (yay!)/BERZERKER (Shouldn't have named Bartz Zerk?)/Geomancer (!Gaia is a thing, I guess) and Samurai (No Chemist Risk).

Troublesome fights were Garula (solved by breaking a Frost Rod on his head), the fuckin' Sandworm (solved by murdering Zerk? in cold blood, THEN breaking a fuckton of Rods on his head) and I guess that was about it. Oh, Archeaeovis got ganked by CLUTCH BERZERKER at 12HP with the rest of my basically-all-magical party dead. I knew you could do it, Zerk?!

Bad things: I have no healing, one of my party members is a Zerker, Geomancer is kind of a bad class except for !Gaia in some circumstances and anything with high damage shreds me like I'm paper. Well, Samurai makes it better, but still.

Now I'mma take a break before tackling World 2.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

This was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in this game.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 23, 2015

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, chaos risk report: so far, jobs are Time mage and Zerker. Here's to hoping for 2 more berserkers. And much sadness.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Well, definitely thanks to this thread for getting me into FF5. This game is awesome; I wish I hadn't shelved it for so long. My first ever run is Chaos and I drew Mystic Knight, Bard, and two Zerkers. People are telling me I might be okay, though.

I made this last night because I did find it a little hard to figure out what was going on with the Fiesta, etc. not actually having played FF5 before. Maybe it's helpful to others interested in getting in on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j67j-czC6yw

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wipe five on a Quadrchimera, getting Aqua Rake to prep for Sandworm.

I also could have wiped easily in Jachol Cave. I remember grinding on Skull Eaters, but obviously not at level 18. I got a first strike and thought "There's only one, might as well Aero2 him before I run... OH poo poo THAT DID NO DAMAGE AND NOW THERE'S SIX OF THEM." :derp:

Honestly I think my Berserker is MVP. Gave him a knife because I hate missing, and he's doing consistently about double the Blue Mages' output, all other things being equal.

e: Boy, when they say "Weak against Water," they aren't kidding.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 23, 2015

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

slowbeef posted:

Well, definitely thanks to this thread for getting me into FF5. This game is awesome; I wish I hadn't shelved it for so long. My first ever run is Chaos and I drew Mystic Knight, Bard, and two Zerkers. People are telling me I might be okay, though.

I made this last night because I did find it a little hard to figure out what was going on with the Fiesta, etc. not actually having played FF5 before. Maybe it's helpful to others interested in getting in on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j67j-czC6yw

Enjoy hitting the damage cap constantly on nearly every fight after World 2. MK also lets you essentially trivialize the final boss. Some bosses are going to cause you serious pain/grinding because that comp is so incredibly stupidly slow though. In particular a few of the final dungeon bosses do damage that you'll be hard pressed to heal off.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Amgard posted:

Enjoy hitting the damage cap constantly on nearly every fight after World 2.

Oh, no!

Amgard posted:

MK also lets you essentially trivialize the final boss.

Oh, good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
"I think I'll start a new Chaos run after my first one turned out so vanilla, what could go wro-"

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=knifefightbears

fuk

• Locked thread