Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Stanley Pain posted:

"Dailies" are the worst thing in games right now, and only GW2 seems to get it right since you'll just incidentally finish them by playing the game the way you like.

Things that GW2 got right that somehow WoW (and I assume Wildstar) still doesn't:
  • Vistas, exploration points, interesting zone design, rewards for fully completing a zone encourage players to explore zones vs. WoD's endgame of sitting in your garrison all day and Blizzard having to hamfist reasons for players to actually leave their garrison and do world PVE content (flying pre-reqs in 6.2)
  • Dailies that can be completed through any combination of solo PVE, group PVE, small-group PVP, large-group PVP accomplishments
  • Allowing players to cooperate in world PVE instead of making them compete against each other to be the first to tag a mob or harvesting node
  • No Ashran

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Anoia posted:

Nothing says "you're playing this game too much" quite like them mistaking your grinding for an automated exploit.

Noting quite says "you're playing a terrible game" like this situation even being possible.

Parker Lewis posted:

Allowing players to cooperate in world PVE instead of making them compete against each other to be the first to tag a mob or harvesting node

Tera gets this wrong as well and it's somewhat shocking, it's such a pleasant beer and pretzels game aside from that.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 23, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Pretty much only logging on to do dailies is the sign the game is over until the sequel/patch/expansion and you need to unsub, no matter how many of your friends are still doing them too. Took me way too long to figure that one out.

MMOs are a cursed genre.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Noting quite says "you're playing a terrible game" like this situation even being possible.

Tera gets this wrong as well and it's somewhat shocking, it's such a pleasant beer and pretzels game aside from that.

pretzels more like preteens

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It certainly has that, and yes it's enormously repellent when people are creepy with it (which is pretty much all elin players)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Look on the bright side - at least the Elin allow the pedos to self-identify.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Flesh Forge posted:

There are no good multiplayer survival games. None.

Now excuse me while I sit in this tree and wait for something to lumber into that pit trap.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
At least Tera give me the chance to have a character other than generic hero #7, WITH a game that doesn't actively hate you, just more Passive-agressive

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Failboattootoot posted:

I did. I never understood why anyone liked timeless isle. It felt like a return to the lovely days of EQ1. I also liked running dungeons a lot more than I liked raiding so killing the jp/vp system was tiresome.

Timeless Isle had some concepts that were nice to see: fast (for WoW) respawning events/rares, and lots of little toys hidden around the place. I feel it worked pretty well for visiting it a few times, but became hugely tedious if it was your only non-group content. What sucked was trying to use it as a catchup mechanic or trying to do the rep grind.

So I didn't mind that they brought the treasures/rares over into WoD, but I sincerely wish they had left the rep grinds behind and at least given us dailies/reasons to run dungeons for things to do at the level cap.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Anoia posted:

Now excuse me while I sit in this tree and wait for something to lumber into that pit trap.

RUST recently made dick size a random function based on your steamid.

(linked for big and NSFW)

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

WarLocke posted:

It's not that big.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Parker Lewis posted:

Things that GW2 got right that somehow WoW (and I assume Wildstar) still doesn't:
  • Vistas, exploration points, interesting zone design, rewards for fully completing a zone encourage players to explore zones vs. WoD's endgame of sitting in your garrison all day and Blizzard having to hamfist reasons for players to actually leave their garrison and do world PVE content (flying pre-reqs in 6.2)
  • Dailies that can be completed through any combination of solo PVE, group PVE, small-group PVP, large-group PVP accomplishments
  • Allowing players to cooperate in world PVE instead of making them compete against each other to be the first to tag a mob or harvesting node
  • No Ashran

GW2 was a really fun game to play, but gently caress trying to level up another character. I could not run through that world again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Forgall posted:

It's not that big.

BAZINGA

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

GW2 was a really fun game to play, but gently caress trying to level up another character. I could not run through that world again.

It is a lot easier now that level tomes are handed out like candy.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WarLocke posted:

That is the best idea ever. You just know a some dudes who got micropenises are rolling new Steam accounts and buying the game again to get a mandingo.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah, I've just been banking them. I'll soon reach the point where I can take a new character from 1 to 80 immediately.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The problem with GW2 is they made an MMO and not a cool skill based multiplayer thing like GW1 was.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Xavier434 posted:

Where do you get them? I have like 4 level 30 dorks and I want to not play all the content over and over.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Where do you get them? I have like 4 level 30 dorks and I want to not play all the content over and over.

Primarily from login rewards (log in click butan get loot) and PVP, the latter of which shits them at you

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Asimo posted:

Having not played WoW since Wrath, what's this about? Since it sounds Wildstar-level retarded. :stare:

You have to be really loving bad at the game to not be able to 100% them though. Or just super super unlucky with followers.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The problem with GW2 is they made an MMO and not a cool skill based multiplayer thing like GW1 was.

Huh? It's plenty skill based if you're hardcore enough for it :q:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kessel posted:

Primarily from login rewards (log in click butan get loot) and PVP, the latter of which shits them at you

Some dailies too I believe.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kessel posted:

The login rewards can give you up to 16 level up scrolls total per 28 days (no penalty if you miss a day, it's just slower) if you pick them as your bonus chest at the end of the cycle. I don't pvp and I've still gotten them left and right.

You can also get smaller xp scrolls from daily chests that are from dumb easy stuff like "go click a vista."

oxidation
May 22, 2011
I got this through the humble bundle and i'm level 20 so far and i'm really enjoying it

this topic is making me feel bad for liking this game :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kessel posted:

What kind of crazy nonsense is this!! Everyone knows you can't run a PVP online RPG like that!!!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stanley Pain posted:

Huh? It's plenty skill based if you're hardcore enough for it :q:

skills as in you could make a build specifically to destroy FotM builds instantly in the cool multiplayer PvP Turtle Game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

oxidation posted:

Most of us rip on this game pretty hard but it is still just a game. There's nothing wrong with personally enjoying it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aside from having bad taste.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

oxidation posted:

I got this through the humble bundle and i'm level 20 so far and i'm really enjoying it

You haven't hit the real tedium yet, don't worry

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Minsky posted:

The "apexis grind" in WoD that most people hate involves basically doing something once per day in a random area, and that something is "kill any 50 monsters and/or click 25 things until your progress bar has filled up". The reward for doing this is 800 apexis crystals which is a generally useless currency, because you either buy gear that is worse than crafted gear or hoard a huge pile of it to purchase a lame mount. Apexis crystals also trickle in from a few other sources related to your garrison, or from grinding even more monsters in those same areas, but what's described above is roughly about it for the primary non-raiding non-garrison mission PVE end-game content.

You can actually buy useful gear with Apexis now and the game kind of spews them at you from every angle.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

oxidation posted:

The early game isn't that bad. The art design, music and combat system give you enough to keep things interesting for a while. As you level though the poor zone design, uneven quest design, obnoxiously invasive challenges and a slew of other issues really start to drag the game down. Then you hit max level and it gets even worse.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
The game gets a lot of flack especially BECAUSE there are bits of edible corn sprinkled into the poo poo. If it was just pure garbage front to back goons would all have a good laugh and move on instead of beating this dead horse. I want a good, more action-based MMO with a relatively small action bar and fun dungeons and small "raids" and such. Wildstar has flashes of that here and there, but is hamstrung by tons of bullshit. One example of the classic One Step Forward, Two Steps Back of Wildstar:

Parker Lewis posted:

• Vistas, exploration points, interesting zone design...

Wildstar KNOWS that lots of players love exploring the world, finding their way into little nooks and crannies and doing jumping puzzles and poo poo. It SPECIFICALLY lets you select a "path" that says, "Hey, I like that poo poo. Show me more of it." And that path is tedious bullshit and none of the exploration or jumping puzzles are anything close to the poo poo GW2 lets you just DO when/if you feel like it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

They should just have dropped the path system and let everyone do everything. The game isn't that overloaded on content for locking it behind paths to be a good idea.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

They should just have dropped the path system and let everyone do everything. The game isn't that overloaded on content for locking it behind paths to be a good idea.
This is Carbine we're talking about, hardly anything they do is a good idea.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kessel posted:

Yeah this wouldn't have been a bad idea. You could keep the paths as seperate XP tracks, so you could get Soldier XP and Explorer XP and Scientist XP and earn those rewards along those paths seperately, but do them all on one character.

The game really really doesn't want you running multiple alts with how it's set up (like most MMOs I guess) so it would make sense to open that system up more.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Anoia posted:

Don't Starve, maybe?

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Shadowlyger posted:

You can actually buy useful gear with Apexis now and the game kind of spews them at you from every angle.

Yep I got the apexis weapon. Good thing I'd been hoarding the few apexis crystals I bothered to grind.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I want a good, more action-based MMO with a relatively small action bar and fun dungeons and small "raids" and such.

That's Tera. :getin:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Monomythian posted:

Or if you don't like anime pedobait you could wait for Skyforge, the closed beta seems pretty cool so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Monomythian posted:

He said small raids, not small girls.

• Locked thread