Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Literally all I can remember about FF12 is the OGIR YENSA SANDSEA because playing that part of the game was like a living nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

This is brutally wrong. The idea of Basch being the protagonist was thrown out before there was even art for the game. Beyond that, Basch barely has any lines in the game. The actual story, if anyone gives a gently caress, is Matsuno's pitch for the game placed Basch in the protagonist role, but it didn't test well it test groups, so it was changed, this is before development on the game had actually begun. The first character to be drawn was Vaan, under the name 'Aqua' he was the last character to be created and the first to be drawn. From there the games story was developed, the first picture we saw about FFXII was Vaan in the Salikawood, which was the first environment made.

Thank you though for proving my point that people don't actually remember the game.

People like to dramatize executive meddling with games to make themselves feel better about it not being the gem of perfection. See: Xenogears

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beef Waifu posted:

The writing in Nier is good, but I felt the poo poo with the Shades was always incredibly hamfisted and people in the LP thread bitching about Nier doing what he did are dumb.

:agreed:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

corn in the bible posted:

Literally all I can remember about FF12 is the OGIR YENSA SANDSEA because playing that part of the game was like a living nightmare

Oh yeah loving Sandsea was hell on earth. Like FFXII has some legit pacing problems and that place did not help.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't remember anything about FF12 because whenever I try to play it, or watch someone else play it, it puts me to sleep. Literally. I cannot stay awake long enough to pay attention to what's going on. It's incredibly good at that though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Clarste posted:

I can't remember anything about FF12 because whenever I try to play it, or watch someone else play it, it puts me to sleep. Literally. I cannot stay awake long enough to pay attention to what's going on. It's incredibly good at that though.

It's a good thing that the game can nearly play itself later on with all the gambit options.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Beef Waifu posted:

The writing in Nier is good, but I felt the poo poo with the Shades was always incredibly hamfisted and people in the LP thread bitching about Nier doing what he did are dumb.

Yeah, I agree. Stuff like the part with the wolves just tried way too hard to paint you as the bad guy, and then you have scenes like Nier murdering all the babies who were apparently piled up next to a door while all the adults were ballroom dancing. They really should've dialed back on that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I never really thought of Nier as trying to paint Nier as the badguy. I just figured it was trying to portray things as generically tragic. You thought you were killing bad guys, but it turns out you weren't, it was just two non-bad sides that couldn't coexist. You still weren't wrong for fighting for your survival, it's just... tragic. The game never presented not killing them as a solution.

Although I guess I can understand why people would think it's emotionally manipulative.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To put in very bluntly Nier was Spec Ops: The Line, for Action RPGs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Clarste posted:

I never really thought of Nier as trying to paint Nier as the badguy. I just figured it was trying to portray things as generically tragic. You thought you were killing bad guys, but it turns out you weren't, it was just two non-bad sides that couldn't coexist. You still weren't wrong for fighting for your survival, it's just... tragic. The game never presented not killing them as a solution.

Although I guess I can understand why people would think it's emotionally manipulative.

:agreed:

The tragedy stems from what you don't know. Which is why the second playthrough, where you find out what all of these enemies are saying, stabs you in the heart. They're still dangerous, they're still in your way, so there's no avoiding whatcha gotta do...but drat. Sucks a lot more when you realize what you're doing.

I never considered Nier the villain, for what it's worth, and I platinum'd the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

I didn't feel it was painting Nier as a bad guy so much as they just felt like they were forcing a lot of the sympathy in a lot of the places, especially with the dog and Mother Goose. It gets really egregious when Grimoire Nier becomes a thing and says that Noir is the savior book or something and then I just think the entire story becomes really stupid because Noir is pretty unabashedly portrayed as a villain throughout the game and never anything else while the Shadowlord has the benefit of the doubt, at least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There was also literally no reason at all for Devola and Popola to tell Nier that he had to defeat the black book to heal the black scrawl. Like, that's literally the opposite of what they want done.

Also, the way the shades' dialogue boils down to "You're the REAL bad guys here!" for so long makes me think that yes, the game is trying to paint Nier as a bad person. I never really bought that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Momomo posted:

Also, the way the shades' dialogue boils down to "You're the REAL bad guys here!" for so long makes me think that yes, the game is trying to paint Nier as a bad person. I never really bought that.

Why wouldn't they say that? Obviously they don't want to die. You are the bad guy, from their perspective. But that doesn't mean their perspective is any better than yours: iirc they think of you as a soulless puppet.

Just because two sides are in conflict doesn't mean one side is the "good guy" and the other side is the "bad guy".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The music for FF7R better be well done or it's loving dead to me. That's all I can say. gently caress with the story all you like, but if you gently caress up the music... unforgivable.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Clarste posted:

That reminds me that I actually literally fell asleep while playing FF12 as well. I turned it off and took a nap and never played again, might have been insomnia issues that caused me to be that tired rather than the game but still.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Adam Bowen posted:

That reminds me that I actually literally fell asleep while playing FF12 as well. I turned it off and took a nap and never played again, might have been insomnia issues that caused me to be that tired rather than the game but still.

That's what happened to me with FF9 too, pretty much. I don't think I've actually completed an FF game since FF7. Honestly, it was probably just the right game at the right time to convince me to actually complete it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Onmi posted:

To put in very bluntly Nier was Spec Ops: The Line, for Action RPGs.

Rate Nier 2: The Nierering 5, or pay the price for insubordination.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

I have to go there next to take care of a mark. Kill meeee.

Teleport stones really should have been a lot more common in that game. Because otherwise, it takes forever to get from one place to another.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Celery Face posted:

I have to go there next to take care of a mark. Kill meeee.

Teleport stones really should have been a lot more common in that game. Because otherwise, it takes forever to get from one place to another.

You can buy them on pretty much any airship ride, I think. Of course, not many people ever take the airships, but they're there!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

You can buy them on pretty much any airship ride, I think. Of course, not many people ever take the airships, but they're there!

Heck, you can buy them from the Clan shop in Rabanastre.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing about FFXII was getting the Sandalwood Chop thing and then putting all the stuff worth keeping above it in the inventory so that all of the junk worth selling goes under it so I can just mash X to sell that poo poo.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

:doh: I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The problem with XII isn't that 'people are playing it wrong' if they don't like Vaan.

The problem is that they made the grander military/political story far more interesting than the personal one, so people focused on it. Which is bad writing. It is true however, that you might enjoy it more now if you play it while considering that.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

PT6A posted:

The music for FF7R better be well done or it's loving dead to me. That's all I can say. gently caress with the story all you like, but if you gently caress up the music... unforgivable.

I'm pretty sure this is such a universal opinion that it needn't be said. Right? If this isn't everyone's main concern about the remake, I'd be surprised. The trailer at least seems promising.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

incredible bear posted:

I'm pretty sure this is such a universal opinion that it needn't be said. Right? If this isn't everyone's main concern about the remake, I'd be surprised. The trailer at least seems promising.
I'd be fairly confident except they turned the organ synths in the Seymour boss music into a beepier boopier synths in 10HD so I can only imagine the de-rockifying travesties that could be committed against the 70s prog rock album that is the FF7 sound track.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

fronz posted:

is Nier fun

It's a great game but fun is probably not the best way to describe it. It's an experience. One every gamer must have.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nier is a thing. I love it but I can't honestly suggest it to somebody cause the gameplay is insanely boring and the first half of the game is kind of a slog at points.

Also it's a completionist trap. Never attempt to do all the sidequests.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Golden Goat posted:

Nier is a thing. I love it but I can't honestly suggest it to somebody cause the gameplay is insanely boring and the first half of the game is kind of a slog at points.

Also it's a completionist trap. Never attempt to do all the sidequests.

Why exactly is the gameplay insanely boring? At least it's fast. Groups of enemies could be repetitive but you could get rid of them quickly with 1 or 2 moves. I'm playing FF9 now and it's battles are way more boring and torturous. It's much more of a slog. The last game I played before FF9 was Xenoblade and that had me missing Nier's speed and how short the battles were.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 23, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why exactly is the gameplay insanely boring? At least it's fast. Groups of enemies could be repetitive but you could get rid of them quickly with 1 or 2 moves. I'm playing FF9 now and it's battles are way more boring and torturous. It's much more of a slog. The last game I played before FF9 was Xenoblade and that had me missing Nier's speed and how short the battles were.

I found the combat kind of simple or samey at times. Magic for instance felt like only one or two spells were actually useful and the word system to attach stats gave really tiny increases throughout the game and whenever you found new weapons you had to reapply the words on a weapon. Also you were stuck with the one handed sword in the first half when they should have given you at least one of the other weapons beforehand.

Also the first half of the game was setting up all the areas story wise and compared to the second half I didn't feel driven to keep playing for the story.

The shooter gimmicks, text adventures and second half of the game though are good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Xenoblade sucks.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Xenoblade sucks.

How dare you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nier's big problem is that the combat is samey and repetitive and basically perfunctory. There's little effort put into variety outside of the areas where the game changes genres and those are all by their very nature pretty simplistic and basic. There are a billion weapons and spells but little thought put into them. Outside of getting the new weapon types after the time jump there's no real meaningful change in the gameplay, mechanics or style. Some of the boss fights are pretty fun but the actual shade-bashing is dull as hell, especially if you go for sidequests.

This is why Platinum Games Presents Nier is so hype because they basically are custom-made to fix all of Nier's actual gameplay problems because the weaknesses it has are the things Platinum is great at even in their worst games.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah even if Nier 2's combat turns into what Anarchy Reigns or Legend of Korra had it'll still be a huge improvement over Nier's.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xenoblade sucks.

What does that have to do with Final Fantasy?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FFXIV 2.0 continues its new tradition of having awesome songs for the Primal fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_IP4mNJCI

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

FFXIV 2.0 continues its new tradition of having awesome songs for the Primal fights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_IP4mNJCI

I kinda prefer phase 1, but yeah, Heavensward has amazing music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6roTXrTziQ

I guess it's FFXIV 3.0 now!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Adam Bowen posted:

That happened to me too but because, due to the gambit system, I never needed to interact with the game beyond walking around. So I'd wake up and find my character walking into a wall.

Still more enjoyable than FFXIII.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Celery Face posted:

The voice acting is fantastic (aside from Al-Cid, who has the worst Spanish accent I've ever heard) but some of the scenes with the judges are hilarious. They wear these big heavy helmets so there's an echo-y thing going on with their voices. But then you hear another character, who doesn't have a helmet, speak and he's got the same thing going on. The audio quality might as well be from a PS1 game.

Al-Cid owns sorry

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ravana is a cool boss and yeah, Heavensward's soundtrack in general is pretty great.

I hope Yoshida gets at least a bit more rest now that the expansion is out, I don't want XIV's greatness to come at the cost of that guy's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Jimi Hendrix once said that if you love something, you must sacrifice it. If he loves life, sacrifice it for the glory of Final Fantasy XIV.