Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lampey posted:

Why does a garage need to have a foundation and basement?

Everyone should have a basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Everyone should have a basement.

I assume there's a reason for homes in desert climates not having basements but I don't know what it is

Also he's talking about a garage rather than a house

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Wow, Tayne is assuming that every part of the country is exactly the same as where he lives? Color me shocked.

In earthquake country, we have converted garages instead of basements.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

QuarkJets posted:

I assume there's a reason for homes in desert climates not having basements but I don't know what it is

It's due to the type of soil in most desert areas. Only the most expensive houses will have them, and that's a custom request.

As a car/shop guy, I get why you wouldn't normally have or want one under a garage. For one, gas settles. For two, big added cost. Due to budget and build constraints, sometimes people do put storage or suites under garages, but more rarely than slab on grade.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Uhhh around here there's like two feet of dirt and then bedrock so yeah good luck with that "everyone needs a basement" for whatever stupid reason.

Apr 7, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Even garages should have a basement.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

But why is a basement so important to you? Like I get the desire to have more square footage by having a basement, but if you live in an area where that's significantly more expensive then maybe it's better to just forego the basement and get a bigger lot?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
A sex dungeon above grade is really just a sex room, and the sounds of whips against flesh without the background chorus of a failing sump pump just don't have the same appeal.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I wish I had a garage so I could put a basement under it. :(

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It would be pretty sweet to have a pit setup in your garage like an auto shop to let you super easily work on your car.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

baquerd posted:

It would be pretty sweet to have a pit setup in your garage like an auto shop to let you super easily work on your car.
Auto shops don't have pits outside of lube bays. Pits absolutely suck to work in. You want a 2 post baseplate/overhead lift, 2 post inground, or in ground scissor lift. Ex-mechanic here, I've used them all. 2 post FTW for real work, scissor lifts are great as long as they're spaced right for your vehicle. Scissors are ideal for home shops due to the flush down position.

Pic from Garage Journal thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35433

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2015

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

Auto shops don't have pits outside of lube bays. Pits absolutely suck to work in. You want a 2 post baseplate/overhead lift, 2 post inground, or in ground scissor lift. Ex-mechanic here, I've used them all. 2 post FTW for real work, scissor lifts are great as long as they're spaced right for your vehicle. Scissors are ideal for home shops due to the flush down position.

That's awesome. Why do pits suck to work in compared to a lift?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Ah a good car detail. My apologies in advance, thread! At least its not basement or HOA, right?

baquerd posted:

That's awesome. Why do pits suck to work in compared to a lift?
Access to the underside and suspension. If a car is sitting on its wheels, you're unable to do suspension or brake work. Trust me, standing up to do suspension or brake work is WAY easier than standing. Better leverage, much more comfortable, your movement isn't constrained near as much. A 4 post lift can have a bridge that you can either put a bottle/floor jack on, or have a built in air over hydraulic jack on it so you can lift the car. These are typically used by folks who either want to store cars on the lift, or for alignment racks. With alignment racks, you wouldn't generally set the car down on jackstands but rather make an adjustment to some part of the suspension. With a 4 post at home, people often simply use a bottle jack and then jackstands to secure the car. Lots of people use these setups, but they're a real pain compared to a two post lift. I've done plenty of work on both (thousands of hours on a 2 post, hundreds on an alignment rack doing alignments, and dozens doing light work on the alignment rack when the other racks were full - always a pain.)

I stand by my vote for a 2 post scissor scissor or 2 post above ground for at home, depending on your situation - mostly due to garage size and if its a dedicated work bay or one you park over..

2 post alignment rack - much like what I use to use, but the one I used was from the 80s I think:
Source: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163224

Scissor alignment rack:

4 Post lift:

IMO, you want full access to under-car and suspension for most types of car work. If you're doing general maintenance, you want access. I'd find a pit annoying as hell to use, ramped lifts work but aren't my choice. I wouldn't mind a scissor in my parking garage, a normal 2 post and an alignment rack in my shop... Someday! For now the 2 post will do.

2 Post:

VVV Sorry! Fixed!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 22, 2015

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

SiGmA_X posted:

Ah a good car detail. My apologies in advance, thread! At least its not basement or HOA, right?
Access to the underside and suspension. If a car is sitting on its wheels, you're unable to do suspension or brake work. Trust me, standing up to do suspension or brake work is WAY easier than standing. Better leverage, much more comfortable, your movement isn't constrained near as much. A 4 post lift can have a bridge that you can either put a bottle/floor jack on, or have a built in air over hydraulic jack on it so you can lift the car. These are typically used by folks who either want to store cars on the lift, or for alignment racks. With alignment racks, you wouldn't generally set the car down on jackstands but rather make an adjustment to some part of the suspension. With a 4 post at home, people often simply use a bottle jack and then jackstands to secure the car. Lots of people use these setups, but they're a real pain compared to a two post lift. I've done plenty of work on both (thousands of hours on a 2 post, hundreds on an alignment rack doing alignments, and dozens doing light work on the alignment rack when the other racks were full - always a pain.)

I stand by my vote for a 2 post scissor scissor or 2 post above ground for at home, depending on your situation - mostly due to garage size and if its a dedicated work bay or one you park over..

2 post alignment rack - much like what I use to use, but the one I used was from the 80s I think:
Source: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163224

Scissor alignment rack:

4 Post lift:

IMO, you want full access to under-car and suspension for most types of car work. If you're doing general maintenance, you want access. I'd find a pit annoying as hell to use, ramped lifts work but aren't my choice. I wouldn't mind a scissor in my parking garage, a normal 2 post and an alignment rack in my shop... Someday! For now the 2 post will do.

2 Post:

Hey your failure to timg is showing. :regd04:

Apr 7, 2003

I have a basement.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Pits are only good for keeping Citizen Tayne in. You have to keep a net over them to keep people from falling into them and then half the time people drive their car into it rather than over it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Elephanthead posted:

Pits are only good for keeping Citizen Tayne in. You have to keep a net over them to keep people from falling into them and then half the time people drive their car into it rather than over it.
Agreed. That would be a great use for a pit.

And yep, nets to keep dumb humans out, grates to keep bad drivers out.

2 post FTW!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

QuarkJets posted:

SiGmA_X posted:

It's due to the type of soil in most desert areas. Only the most expensive houses will have them, and that's a custom request.

Basements are also much more common in cold places - if you already have dig way down to put in a 6' concrete footing, you might as well go a couple more feet and get a basement out of it.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I'm about to buy a house with a basement AND a pit.

I am about to finish the inspection period, and I have a pre approval from my credit union for the mortgage (30 year fixed). My realtor gave me phone numbers for a couple lenders a while ago, is it too late to call them? Any thoughts about the mortage companies I see online? Consumer Direct Mortgage shows a 3.875% rate while my credit union is offering 4.125%, are those companies reputable?

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 23, 2015

Apr 7, 2003

BossTweed posted:

Good. Always buy a basement.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

BossTweed posted:

I am about to finish the inspection period, and I have a pre approval from my credit union for the mortgage (30 year fixed). My realtor gave me phone numbers for a couple lenders a while ago, is it too late to call them? Any thoughts about the mortage companies I see online? Consumer Direct Mortgage shows a 3.875% rate while my credit union is offering 4.125%, are those companies reputable?

You can always call around to try and get the best deal for yourself. The only thing time wise you want to focus on is how soon you are schedule to close and whether or not it is possible to get a loan closed that quickly by whoever you are attempting to use for your mortgage approval.

Keep in mind credit checks and things like that are common when you shop around so your current lender is probably going to ask what is up and you are likely to have multiple people (depending on how much you shop) asking to make hard inquiries on your credit. Any inquiries for home financing count as 1 pull if you do it in the same two week window.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Citizen Tayne posted:

Good. Always buy a basement.

Its funny, but so true. We saw a hosue pop up in this one neighborhood, didn't look too dated and the price was really good. Then we saw it was on a slab and with its smaller size ~2100 sq ft we would have been screwed on storage/kids room area.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I have an attic.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I have an attic.

Enjoy your hotbox.

Apr 7, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

I have an attic.

I have an attic and a basement. Having four usable floors is good and cool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

Its funny, but so true. We saw a hosue pop up in this one neighborhood, didn't look too dated and the price was really good. Then we saw it was on a slab and with its smaller size ~2100 sq ft we would have been screwed on storage/kids room area.

Oh man, can you imagine trying to live in only 1500 square feet? That would be crazy! :jerkbag:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
To get off of basement and attic talk, what are people's thoughts on pools?

My girlfriend and I are house hunting, and we found a place that we like overall, but it has a pool.

I know for some people this is a bonus, but we live in Vermont where you get a whopping three months of use before you've got to winterize and cover it. I know that I wouldn't be paying the electricity and chemical usage for those months, but then come May I'd have to spend a bunch of upfront money to get it ready for use, and then there's the electricity and maintenance fees for the rest of the summer. Not to mention the extra insurance costs.

Does anyone here have experiences, positive or negative, that can help us influence our decision? I'm leaning towards no, based almost entirely on the pool (I'm not thrilled about a couple other things, but that's the big one that right now is preventing me from wanting to go forward.)

I mean...I've practically already made up my mind, but maybe some anecdotes from more experienced people will help convince her.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Oh man, can you imagine trying to live in only 1500 square feet? That would be crazy! :jerkbag:

I know, right? I grew up with three other siblings in a 1200 square foot house with no basement or attic and just a normal 2 car garage, and it never felt crowded. My brother and I shared a room until my older sister graduated high school and moved out. That was fine too.

I'm not saying more space isn't nice, of course it is. But when I hear people moan about how impossible it'd be for their whole family of two adults and two kids to survive in a mere 2100 square feet that only has just a really small basement and the back yard isn't even that big etc. etc. it just makes me sick.

Apr 7, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend and I are house hunting, and we found a place that we like overall, but it has a pool.

I know for some people this is a bonus, but we live in Vermont where you get a whopping three months of use before you've got to winterize and cover it. I know that I wouldn't be paying the electricity and chemical usage for those months, but then come May I'd have to spend a bunch of upfront money to get it ready for use, and then there's the electricity and maintenance fees for the rest of the summer. Not to mention the extra insurance costs.

Does anyone here have experiences, positive or negative, that can help us influence our decision? I'm leaning towards no, based almost entirely on the pool (I'm not thrilled about a couple other things, but that's the big one that right now is preventing me from wanting to go forward.)

I mean...I've practically already made up my mind, but maybe some anecdotes from more experienced people will help convince her.

A pool is just a basement that isn't under the house.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

If it is in-ground and you wind up not wanting it it can cost thousands to have it filled (which by law may need to be done to properly abandon it). If it is above ground, you can dismantle it in a weekend if you want it gone.

We were in the same situation in MA, immediately crossing out homes with pools. Then one popped up with an above ground, and a friend of ours had just bought a house with one and torn the pool down in a few hours, so we bought.

We still have the pool, it worked out for us, but I wouldn't have bought with an inground without knowing first.

Call around to excavating or pool installation places for quotes to punch holes and backfill a pool to whatever code covers it in your area, and just know that's what you have to pay to give up on it, or just be forced to keep maintaining it.

They're also sort of a hazard for the years before your kids can swim, so keep that in mind for the future.

As far as costs go, poo poo is always deteriorating, but the actual test kit cost and chemicals, opening and closing is like $500 or $700 a year.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 23, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

A pool is just a basement that isn't under the house.

Truth. Never buy a house with an outdoor basement.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I have enough trouble getting off my rear end to just mow my back yard, I definitely didn't want to learn how to deal with a pool. My dad has one and has continuously fought with algae, fought with repair companies to properly refinish it, and is constantly fishing dead baby bunnies out of the skimmers. Now at one end of the pool the ground has started shifting where the paving stones are starting to sink and get all wonky so he needs to hire an engineer to assess how extensive/concerning/expensive that problem is. Probably very because he is noticing cracks in the pool on that end. While house hunting I was also concerned about safety of my pets, future kids/their friends.

And I live in Texas where swimming weather is a good chunk of the year! It's like a pickup truck - just make friends with someone else who has one :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We bought a house with an inground pool, explicitly adding thousands of dollars to the bid price in our heads for filling. It can be done, but only if you love the house.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

uwaeve posted:

If it is in-ground and you wind up not wanting it it can cost thousands to have it filled (which by law may need to be done to properly abandon it). If it is above ground, you can dismantle it in a weekend if you want it gone.

It is an above ground, so I guess that's a bonus (well...in this instance...less of a bonus when it comes to actual use.) And the backyard is entirely fenced in with a locking gate, so I believe that will make the insurance company a little happier.

Of course, the ironic thing about the house is that is actually comes with two pools...there's a "rec room" above the garage with a pool table that the owners are willing to leave if desired.

(Though when we go back to look at it again, I'm going to take a close look at it to make sure the owners aren't just leaving us with a hunk of junk that will cost a few hundred bucks to get hauled off to save themselves the money.)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

gently caress the whole mortgage interest rate fluctuation thing I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Our loan officer was like 'last Friday it was 3.875% and this week it's 4%' so we thought we'd see and now it just jumped to loving 4.375%. Kill me kill me kill me.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Just pretend the 3.875 never existed.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

lord funk posted:

gently caress the whole mortgage interest rate fluctuation thing I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Our loan officer was like 'last Friday it was 3.875% and this week it's 4%' so we thought we'd see and now it just jumped to loving 4.375%. Kill me kill me kill me.

Are you waiting because you want a shorter rate lock period, or because you want to get the lowest interest rate?

If it is the first, then know that on a given day the 60 day rate lock is cheaper than the 90 day rate lock, and consequently you will get a larger lender credit and discount points if you pick the 60 day rate lock. However, on a given day your options are really to a) pick the 90 day rate lock, or b) wait 30 days and then pick the 60 day rate lock, and hope that the market does not go against you during this 30 days. This is what I did (against the advice of people who knew better/ had experience with this) and it was a losing gamble for me.

If it is the second then are you tracking the U.S. 10 year treasury note? The daily mortgage rate tracks the U.S. 10 year treasury note. Over the past 3 months the trend has been upwards - with small local dips. You can also see that on Friday it was at a local low point, after which it has done nothing but go up.

My advice (and the advice I was given and which I should have taken) is to lock in your rate and not stress about it any more.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Could depend on the product too. Might have gotten a PAL or have been buying new construction, where locking might not have been an option.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

No we have the short lock period. We were tempted by the fact that we missed the low rate by a day (story of this entire process) and thought hey! May as well wait a few days and see if it falls back. And now we're staring at a massive bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Rates have been in the basement for some time.