Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just terrible, no-good pictures here but I made bbq boneless country ribs with brown sugar baked beans in the smoker. It was my first time having to get my new smoker up to high heat for a length of time, so that was a challenge but fun in a primal pyromaniac sort of way.

They were delicious, the ribs were incredibly tender and tasted like brown sugar baked beans and the baked beans tasted like BBQ pork and everything tasted like hickory and cast iron and I was in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Brawnfire posted:

Just terrible, no-good pictures here but I made bbq boneless country ribs with brown sugar baked beans in the smoker. It was my first time having to get my new smoker up to high heat for a length of time, so that was a challenge but fun in a primal pyromaniac sort of way.

They were delicious, the ribs were incredibly tender and tasted like brown sugar baked beans and the baked beans tasted like BBQ pork and everything tasted like hickory and cast iron and I was in heaven.

Well, now I know what I am doing Saturday, absolutely awesome.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
http://imgur.com/a/ciAKj

lb and half bone in ribeye, daughter wanted fries and then she loves fries with sauce so I made some "pub sauce." Red Oak beer to drink, daughter got chocolate milk.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I made raspberry kladdkaka!

It's not as gooey as I would've liked (first time using this oven), but it's warm, soft and chocolatey so I'm happy enough.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

My take on Chicken Eden Isle.

Chicken breast (cooked sous vide with roasted garlic cloves, roasted pearl onions, and fresh rosemary) wrapped in prosciutto. Pickled radish and yellow squash "flowers".
The plating was kind of an accident. A squash slice randomly looked cool when I picked it up so I unfolded it to see how it folded itself. It needs improvement but the idea is sound.
Chicken breast (skinless) is best cooked sous vide. Really. 140C for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Perfect.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Grilled Canadian lobster with lemon butter, risotto and some nice champagne.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
It was Midsommar this weekend, so I made Halvspecials (swedish street hotdog with mashed potatoes, fried onion and shrimp salad)

I also made Apelsin Pucko - which is basically Swedish yohoo. They have a orange version (apelsin), which i made by infusing syrup with orange rind, and then adding to the mixture.

Later on Saturday we made Montrealer bagels, which turned out well except I should have kneaded the dough longer (they weren't chewy enough).

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Where's the sauce/soup component?

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 22, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Woof! Woof! posted:

It was Midsommar this weekend, so I made Halvspecials (swedish street hotdog with mashed potatoes, fried onion and shrimp salad)

These look so delicious, I can't even wrap my head around it.

So a friend of mine handed off a venison tenderloin to me, I was thinking of wrapping it in bacon and herbs and just slow-smoking it. Anyone have other ideas?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

These look so delicious, I can't even wrap my head around it.

They really are, and a few industry dudes and I have talked about trying to sell them in a Korvkiosk in the US (a korvkiosk is a tradtional swedish/danish hot dog stand) - but I think they'd be hard to market due to the starch on starch on starch. Using a lot of dill, using yogurt in the rakksalad instead of mayonnaise. That helps with the heaviness, good mustard cuts into that, too. But gently caress is it a lot of carbs, even for me. The fried onion helps with the texture, as does (obviously) a really good natural casing hot dog, and grilling the bun a moment or two.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If anything I'd say lose the potatoes, the rest would probably work as a hot dog with Halvspecial-inspired toppings. Maybe not traditionally accurate, but maybe less of a hard sell.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

If anything I'd say lose the potatoes, the rest would probably work as a hot dog with Halvspecial-inspired toppings. Maybe not traditionally accurate, but maybe less of a hard sell.

I agree but the potatoes are the core of what makes it.

gently caress.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Puff pastry filled with tomato sauce, garlic, sunflower seeds, shredded parmesan and salty bulgur, served with assorted greens, red onion, black beans and a light vinaigrette.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

I agree but the potatoes are the core of what makes it.

gently caress.

There's a Swedish food truck in Orlando that sells them and it's by far one of the most popular trucks in the area. (And yeah, they are really loving good). If she can sell them in the 80-90+ degree humid as gently caress Florida, it could maybe work elsewhere...

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Susical posted:

There's a Swedish food truck in Orlando that sells them and it's by far one of the most popular trucks in the area. (And yeah, they are really loving good). If she can sell them in the 80-90+ degree humid as gently caress Florida, it could maybe work elsewhere...

poo poo. Is it swedeDISH? I'm gonna hit her up.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

poo poo. Is it swedeDISH? I'm gonna hit her up.

Yes :D

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Email sent, hopefully they don't mind sharing some insights.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I think I did chili dogs, pretty sure there are hot dogs, I know the chili made it, lots of onions and dill relish, mustard at the bottom not sure how the tomatoes got in the mix in there somewhere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Today's grilling adventure was spicy italian sausages with a veggie medley (asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, vidalia onion, lemons).

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Chicken breast (cooked sous vide with roasted garlic cloves, roasted pearl onions, and fresh rosemary) wrapped in prosciutto. Pickled radish and yellow squash "flowers".
The plating was kind of an accident. A squash slice randomly looked cool when I picked it up so I unfolded it to see how it folded itself. It needs improvement but the idea is sound.
Chicken breast (skinless) is best cooked sous vide. Really. 140C for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Perfect.

Never heard of Chicken Eden Isle. Judging by the recipes I've just read, it's a terrible terrible thing but I would say you're rather far away from the gloop it is. I'm actually hoping the recipes I've read are wrong and there's no real need for dried beef or the grotesquery of cream of sodium canned soup.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Cavenagh posted:

Never heard of Chicken Eden Isle. Judging by the recipes I've just read, it's a terrible terrible thing but I would say you're rather far away from the gloop it is. I'm actually hoping the recipes I've read are wrong and there's no real need for dried beef or the grotesquery of cream of sodium canned soup.

Oh man, I bet you're a hit at parties.

Chicken Eden Isle was a standard gig growing up for me in the upper midwest. Dried beef and cream of mushroom are amazing. The above interpretation has me scratching my head, however. Outside of the chicken, nothing on the plate has much to do with Chicken Eden Isle. I mean I guess you've got prosciutto, but you also have no dried beef, no cream of anything, no sauce even. The whole thing is just very sterile looking.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Woof! Woof! posted:

Dried beef and cream of mushroom are amazing.

No.

also: Midwest, never heard of it.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

No.

also: Midwest, never heard of it.

You're probably from like Philly or some poo poo.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 23, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Philly isn't part of the Midwest lol

I don't know that I've ever had dried beef, unless it's just beef jerky. In which case, ok fine, but that's a weird thing to put in a dish with chicken. As for cream of mushroom soup, no, that's about the farthest from awesome you can get.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 23, 2015

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

So a friend of mine handed off a venison tenderloin to me, I was thinking of wrapping it in bacon and herbs and just slow-smoking it. Anyone have other ideas?

Salt and pepper maybe some garlic powder and just grill it straight. Cook to medium rare then slice it into medallions.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

I also made Apelsin Pucko - which is basically Swedish yohoo. They have a orange version (apelsin), which i made by infusing syrup with orange rind, and then adding to the mixture.

I woke up somewhat the worse for wear after over-imbibing last night and your delicious-looking outdoor sunny food and drinks are making me extremely jealous - gimme dat starch and lubrication! :swoon:

Brawnfire posted:

Today's grilling adventure was spicy italian sausages with a veggie medley (asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, vidalia onion, lemons).

Dammit, you too! :bahgawd:

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Philly isn't part of the Midwest lol

I don't know that I've ever had dried beef, unless it's just beef jerky. In which case, ok fine, but that's a weird thing to put in a dish with chicken. As for cream of mushroom soup, no, that's about the farthest from awesome you can get.

Oh I took this to you saying the old "what's the midwest" "flyover" argument.

Had dried beef plenty as a kid. It's made by Hormel, based in Minnesota, where I'm from.
Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, everything has its place. Green Bean Casserole is poo poo with béchamel. Not everything needs to be gussied up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

indoflaven posted:

Salt and pepper maybe some garlic powder and just grill it straight. Cook to medium rare then slice it into medallions.

Aw, I was really hoping to involve bacon... I guess I can just throw some bacon on the grill too....

franco posted:

Dammit, you too! :bahgawd:

My bad! I just can't stop grilling! I got the new grill like, two weeks ago and have grilled every night but two. Gotta get that money's worth!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Woof! Woof! posted:

Oh I took this to you saying the old "what's the midwest" "flyover" argument.

Had dried beef plenty as a kid. It's made by Hormel, based in Minnesota, where I'm from.
Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, everything has its place. Green Bean Casserole is poo poo with béchamel. Not everything needs to be gussied up.

The midwest really has the worst food of anywhere

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was hot as balls today, perfect opportunity to make a cold chickpea salad tossed in olive oil + curry powder.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Jose posted:

The midwest really has the worst food of anywhere

who cares

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

This is really cool!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

twas good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ahh, Mjolnir tart!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I know I'm late to the party but RE: Chicken Eden Isle: :whitewater:

here's some white-bred midwestern chicken dinner sans canned soup

and some pretzels

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

and some pretzels

what kind of noodles are those they look neat

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

and some pretzels

would

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Fetus Tree posted:

what kind of noodles are those they look neat

Mezzi Rigatoni. Comes in a blue bag. Brand is Pastificio G. Di Martino. My grocery store has 'em. They seem pretty good, but I'm not a pasta expert.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mezzi Rigatoni. Comes in a blue bag. Brand is Pastificio G. Di Martino. My grocery store has 'em. They seem pretty good, but I'm not a pasta expert.

What did you do to prepare them, I am very much interested in tasting what you tasted

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Fetus Tree posted:

What did you do to prepare them, I am very much interested in tasting what you tasted

Haha - boiled them in salty water until al dente, drained and tossed them gently in some store bought pesto. Half the bag of pasta and half the tub of pesto made about 4 servings.

I used the buitoni pesto from the refrigerated section of the pasta aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Have you ever had creamed chipped beef? I'm pretty sure dried beef is just another name for chipped beef (maybe in whole form, instead of chipped?).

• Locked thread