Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

demonR6 posted:

wjs I sent you an invite to join ISLAM.. is the battalion poo poo not working or are you afraid to join the goon jihad squad.

I didnt see it pop anything up. Also I dont play on the EU server at all aint got time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
ISLAM is on NA.. CHAI is EU. I'll resend NA when I get home, just join if you are interested so we can test it out whenever that rolls out.

I need to get someone to make me a crying Lenin with a turban on it in the event they allow us our own badges.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

demonR6 posted:

ISLAM is on NA.. CHAI is EU. I'll resend NA when I get home, just join if you are interested so we can test it out whenever that rolls out.

I need to get someone to make me a crying Lenin with a turban on it in the event they allow us our own badges.

Give us an invite for NA: Kuxai

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wjs5 posted:

However the whole design principle is to be able to fire over things and zone in on a target with the laz tower.

That's true, and not necessarily a bad thing given these are supposed to be tank destroyer-ish in function and that allows them to do the job while remaining fragile. The issue is just that the vision differential (blind MBTs versus crazy long vision range swingfire) makes it pretty annoying when you can't observe either the vehicle or the missiles. And, of course, they're also faster and more nimble so they can often get the hell out of dodge before you or your scouts spot them anyways.

The biggest thing I'd like to see changed about the ATGM-carriers in general is the lack of a notable minimum range. Swingfire couldn't engage under 150m, for example. Dudes rolling around a corner or over a hilltop and taking a snapshot with a missile at near point blank while my MBT has to stop and wait to aim have been frustrating.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Snakes in a can posted:

Give us an invite for NA: Kuxai

Sent you a friend invite then from there I will send the bat invite. For some reason I can't send it from the battalion window. This is odd, I sent a friend invite to someone I know has an account and it shows Invite Pending but when I sent yours it does not show that.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 20, 2015

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Warbadger posted:

That's true, and not necessarily a bad thing given these are supposed to be tank destroyer-ish in function and that allows them to do the job while remaining fragile. The issue is just that the vision differential (blind MBTs versus crazy long vision range swingfire) makes it pretty annoying when you can't observe either the vehicle or the missiles. And, of course, they're also faster and more nimble so they can often get the hell out of dodge before you or your scouts spot them anyways.

The biggest thing I'd like to see changed about the ATGM-carriers in general is the lack of a notable minimum range. Swingfire couldn't engage under 150m, for example. Dudes rolling around a corner or over a hilltop and taking a snapshot with a missile at near point blank while my MBT has to stop and wait to aim have been frustrating.

Well swingfires can not fire on the move they have to sit still to steady before firing. GIving them a min range is probably also not the answer as no other vehical has stuff like that. I think the devs say they will be lowering there viewrange, lets see what that does first.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Are they planning to add the M60A2E1 Starship and the MBT-70 or does this ignore crazy experimental tanks? I remember those two were a lot of fun when used properly in Wargame. :getin:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The M60A2 Starship is already in there as a premium tier 5 atm. I played it the alpha before last when they allowed us to play all the premiums.. let me tell you it was fun.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Are they planning to add the M60A2E1 Starship and the MBT-70 or does this ignore crazy experimental tanks? I remember those two were a lot of fun when used properly in Wargame. :getin:

Starship and MBT-70 were both in the alpha.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wjs5 posted:

Well swingfires can not fire on the move they have to sit still to steady before firing. GIving them a min range is probably also not the answer as no other vehical has stuff like that. I think the devs say they will be lowering there viewrange, lets see what that does first.

MBTs more or less do need to sit still before firing. They get horrendous accuracy when moving and it takes a few seconds when stationary to get "hit broad side of barn more than 5% of the time" kind of accuracy. So yeah, they could fire when moving, they'd just miss every shot. It's only the light tanks that don't get the huge penalty to accuracy when moving (this is why they're strong as hell right now) while the AFVs and TDs don't get as large a penalty and aim faster to reduce the impact.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Klaus88 posted:

They both exist as premium tanks, and you get MBT-70 for one of founder package (the most expensive one).

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Is anyone even still playing this? haven't seen anyone all day.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Nobody's playing anything today. It's a wasteland.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

cheese posted:

To be fair, there is basically no MM right now. They seem to have it disabled to ensure people get fast games during the short test windows.

Oh, I get it - it's the people bitching about it in chat that don't. I can't even play long enough to get out of tier 1 because of the nonsense. Is there an option in this game to turn off chat? It would make my experience 100x better because I don't care about winning in this game.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was on earlier, so was scoots and wjs5.. it's a weekend though and early in the day I can see it being a problem. Just add the guys here that are regulars. Get in ISLAM and we can at see each other and try to get platoons going. At least send friend invites.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So they announced they're bringing t8 tanks to the next phase, and silenstalker has hinted pretty directly that they're also bringing the refit system and pve in the next phase, so it might not be that long till open beta at this rate.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

hopterque posted:

So they announced they're bringing t8 tanks to the next phase, and silenstalker has hinted pretty directly that they're also bringing the refit system and pve in the next phase, so it might not be that long till open beta at this rate.

Any eta on that?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well, this phase ends on wednesday, and the time between the last phases was two weeks I think? So fingers crossed for something like that.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
This phase of testing is about to end and they've shown prelim patch notes for the next phase (hopefully starting in a week or two)

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?17826-Early-Access-3-Patchnotes/

Highlights: tier 8 tanks, PVE mode, decals for tanks, matchmaker improvements, more armor buffs and fixes for big tanks, penetration nerfs.
Cool poo poo, super curious about the PvE mode.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009

yesssss, gently caress playing with 14 other retards. Have they said if its going to be the same xp gain vs pvp?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't care if it's 1/3rd the xp gain.. no more having to deal with 14 other retards on my team.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC PVE missions are still with several humans on your team vs bots. OTOH that also means you can platoon up for them.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

hopterque posted:

This phase of testing is about to end and they've shown prelim patch notes for the next phase (hopefully starting in a week or two)

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?17826-Early-Access-3-Patchnotes/

Highlights: tier 8 tanks, PVE mode, decals for tanks, matchmaker improvements, more armor buffs and fixes for big tanks, penetration nerfs.
Cool poo poo, super curious about the PvE mode.
I like it, the armor buffs and pen nerf on higher calibre shoulds should improve gameplay, which above tier 4/5 kind of turns into "everyone pens everybody".

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'm personally waiting till servers stay up 24/7 before doing jack poo poo. Considering the split server uptime/downtimes really kills any momentum I have for playing.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Magni posted:

IIRC PVE missions are still with several humans on your team vs bots. OTOH that also means you can platoon up for them.

When we platooned over the weekend it looked like you could platoon 5 for PvE.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Couple of questions:
Will there be progress wipes before release?
How are the missile/artillery mechanics?
Any word on the next beta phase after the 24th?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes
Haven't played arty, missiles - ATGM's are okay, not my favorite.
Word on the street is one week before the next phase.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They extended this phase through another 48 hour weekend with a new game mode/maps and double xp and triple cash income.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tequila posted:

artillery mechanics?

Arty is actually kind of fun. If you played WoT, your arty view is the battle assistant view. Your shots don't do nearly as much alpha as WoT but they do have high AOE damage. Accuracy really isn't that accurate, maybe a little better than WoT. ROF is higher.

The fun part is when you fire as arty enemy arty see a ping on the mini map and you light up to that arty for a few seconds. If you don't keep moving around after firing you will get counter arty. So while playing it can be a cat and mouse game between you and the enemy arty.

I would perfer to have 0 tanks that can shoot you from the comfort of the spawn but this is better than WoTs binary miss or one shot.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

BadLlama posted:

Arty is actually kind of fun. If you played WoT, your arty view is the battle assistant view. Your shots don't do nearly as much alpha as WoT but they do have high AOE damage. Accuracy really isn't that accurate, maybe a little better than WoT. ROF is higher.

The fun part is when you fire as arty enemy arty see a ping on the mini map and you light up to that arty for a few seconds. If you don't keep moving around after firing you will get counter arty. So while playing it can be a cat and mouse game between you and the enemy arty.

I would perfer to have 0 tanks that can shoot you from the comfort of the spawn but this is better than WoTs binary miss or one shot.

So more like something that keeps people moving? I can live with that.

How do the missiles work? Are they like guns with different velocity?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Like guns with lower muzzle velocity that you can correct while they travel, currently you can lob them over cover but iirc, that is going to get 'fixed'; which will lead to an abrupt drop in efficiency of the current missile throwers like the swingfire as that is what makes them so great at the moment.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So they've confirmed there will be no reset between this phase and 3 (which makes sense, since they're adding t8). And it's a full 48 hour weekend of uptime again, this time with double xp/triple credits.

e: Double xp is really cool

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 27, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tequila posted:

So more like something that keeps people moving? I can live with that.

How do the missiles work? Are they like guns with different velocity?

It's actually pretty accurate. Fully aimed the reticle is about the size of an MBT. You will never miss a stationary target unless you take a partially aimed snapshot or you hit an object between yourself and the target..

Otherwise shell travel time is a bit quicker than WoT, arc is a bit higher than the high tier German arty but not as high as British arty was. The reticle doesn't bloom much when you move it.

So yeah, you can make people move. But you can also keep dropping shells on their face while they move at full speed very easily. High splash radius helps with that, too. Moving is even less a countermeasure than it was in WoT.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Missles on the swingfire are bugged to hell, if you are lower then what you are shooting at you prob arnt gonna hit it. Also alot of shots hit behind where you are aiming.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Crash74 posted:

Missles on the swingfire are bugged to hell, if you are lower then what you are shooting at you prob arnt gonna hit it. Also alot of shots hit behind where you are aiming.
This was only true for the first test phase. They fixed it starting with the second and the Swingfire is hilariously good now.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Getting my tier 4 stuck in games with half the lineup being Tier 6 tanks every drat time has officially sucked all the fun out of this game. Not even going to get into the Tier 7 tanks getting plopped in there. I don't think I've been in a non-frustrating game since I got back yesterday and I think it's a good time to drop it until things get less lovely.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 28, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Yea it sure was a totes great idea to get rid of the matchmaker for "reasons"

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Crash74 posted:

Yea it sure was a totes great idea to get rid of the matchmaker for "reasons"

I totally support the idea of a less granular matchmaker. But well, damage and HP scale so damned fast the Tier 6 poo poo is basically 1.75 x MyTank. And with enough pen to punch a hole anywhere in my slow, blind, stationary-to-shoot, MBT. gently caress that.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 28, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm kind of confused reading those posts because I only very, very rarely get into a match with people more than 1 tier above me. Hell, a pretty high percentage of the time I get matches that are all the same tier. This is with t4 and t5 tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

hopterque posted:

I'm kind of confused reading those posts because I only very, very rarely get into a match with people more than 1 tier above me. Hell, a pretty high percentage of the time I get matches that are all the same tier. This is with t4 and t5 tanks.

Don't know what to tell you. Every game I've been in this morning has had a spread of 3-5 tiers. The game I'm currently in I'm top tier at tier 5, but there's a bunch of scorps and AMX-10's in it, too.

I think this is mostly as a previous poster said - a combination of quickly scaling damage between tiers (plus scaling HP, of course) and the relatively faster time to kill.

As an example, compared to its predecessor the Chieftain, the Challenger I gets a 41% higher DPM (43% higher alpha strike!) and a 43% larger HP pool.
387 vs 555

It takes around 6 shots (6+ a little change) for either a Chieftain or Challenger to kill themselves. (50.4 seconds)
It takes around 9 shots for a chieftain to kill a Challenger. (75.6 seconds)
It takes around 4 shots for a Challenger to kill a Chieftain. (34.28 seconds)

Basically a 2 tier difference means fighting a tank twice as capable as your own that can kill you in less than half the time it takes you to kill it. This is before factoring in the various other "realistic" advantages - the Challenger has approximately double the armor thickness with an additional 40%+ greater bonus to armor protection thanks to the better composite armor, 40% higher penetration, a substantially higher speed, and nearly identical soft stats otherwise. And this is the best case scenario - The T-80 drops nearly 3x the damage of the average tier 5 tank and can actually 2 shot many of them.

Even a single tier difference is often a pretty huge gap.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 28, 2015

• Locked thread