Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

ryanbruce posted:

This one might be a little tricky, because I don't think SA allows for automatic crawling.

It doesn't even have to go that far - just a simple "Keep this page" on an already loaded page would do for my use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ryanbruce posted:

This one might be a little tricky, because I don't think SA allows for automatic crawling.

I can't find any mention of crawling on the Rules or in the FAQ.

Anyway, what's the real difference between telling the app "pre-load the next 5 pages of this thread" and just opening the next five pages in new tabs in your browser?

It's hardly crawling... his desired use-case would be user-directed and pretty limited in scope/resources consumed. It would use no more server cycles or bandwidth than reading the pages normally, it's not like you're clicking every single link on every thread on every forum.

Edit: I sorta want this too, a lot of buildings at work are basically Faraday cages and how else am I supposed to read GBS threads while I'm busy making GBS threadswork-making GBS threads.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The app already does this. Just visit the page, let it load, and the posts are saved in the apps database. If the app has no connection and you revisit those pages it will simply load the posts from the database. WRT images, YMMV as these are handled by the webview and we have no controll over them.

To be fair, it's not as easy as it used to be, as requesting a new page will now cancel any page requests that are currently going on. Just let the page load before you load the next one.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Sereri posted:

The app already does this. Just visit the page, let it load, and the posts are saved in the apps database. If the app has no connection and you revisit those pages it will simply load the posts from the database. WRT images, YMMV as these are handled by the webview and we have no controll over them.

To be fair, it's not as easy as it used to be, as requesting a new page will now cancel any page requests that are currently going on. Just let the page load before you load the next one.

Did it always do this? I just updated and havent tried it, but i had a version from january and that process isnt really reliable I find. Anyways I'll keep trying. Thanks!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The crashing at the bottom of pages and when swiping back to the index bug is annoying.
Is it just me?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Colonel J posted:

Did it always do this? I just updated and havent tried it, but i had a version from january and that process isnt really reliable I find. Anyways I'll keep trying. Thanks!

I don't know if this should count as a bug report or I'm dumb but I just tried it out on a Nexus 5.

I was in this thread and went to the last page of another thread from my bookmarks; I let it load fully, then stepped back a page and let that load fully.
I then turned my phone's screen off, and back on 5 minutes later in the metro. I was back in this thread! I tried to go back to the thread I had preloaded but the pages I had let load just wouldn't come back.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ryanbruce posted:

1) Accept the new hotness.
2) Under settings, look for "Disable FABs"

Thanks for this, the reply button was annoying because I scroll with my right thumb.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Wizard of Smart posted:

Thanks for this, the reply button was annoying because I scroll with my right thumb.

Quite welcome! I rarely reply to threads so I opted to not have it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 11, 2018

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hello about 5 minutes ago my awful app has bugged out, what happens is whenever I open the app all I can see are bookmarks. No matter where I go or what I do it will only show me book marks.

I'm lucky you guys put an option to see this thread from the settings.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Same here. Galaxy s4 with lollipop. I thought it bugged out due to non-stop shitposting but I'm not 100% sure.

Restarted too but it didn't help. Trying again.

haris pilton fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I restarted my phone and that seemed to fix it, eyyyyyy. Still I figured you guys would like to know.

EDIT: I am also a Galaxy S4.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 20, 2015

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Got it working again after restarting twice.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Restarting your phone will do nothing to fix the app, as will clearing the app cache in most cases.

The forums are probably just bugging out at the moment. Just try refreshing the forum index in a couple of minutes. Or, well, now.

I thought I had fixed the bug that lets this affect the app but apparently not 😐

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What about my problem? Do you need more info or?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

James Baud posted:

There's only one crash (that's being reported...) in the current build that anybody's been able to repeatedly trigger.

I dunno if this is the same crash, but I've got one that's completely cramping my style. Here's what happens, and it's 100% of the time:

• Open up app
  • Open bookmarks
  • Go into thread (any)
  • Press back button to return to bookmark list
  • Bookmark list is frozen, unscrolling.
  • Tapping on a thread in the bookmark list reveals that while the display shows the bookmark list, the active links on the screen are those of the main forum listing.
  • If you tap on the second or third bookmark, you'll be taken to gbs or fyad, wherever your thumb happens to land, and so on down the length of the screen.
  • If you tap on the part of the screen where the bookmark list link would be, nothing happens.
  • Closing the app and restarting it clears this error only until you go into the bookmarks and look at another thread.

I've got a Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.3.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How do I get normal thread view? I have Show XX Previous Posts at the top of my screen. I want to get rids of that in favor of normal thread view.

Edit: Apparently, this is a theme thing. I prefer the thread style in dark, but I want the colors of default. Classic looks bad.

Edit: It is still there in Dark. I like seeing a whole page of a thread. Is there anyway to remove the button at the top and have just normal thread view?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 23, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlayVus posted:

How do I get normal thread view? I have Show XX Previous Posts at the top of my screen. I want to get rids of that in favor of normal thread view.

Edit: Apparently, this is a theme thing. I prefer the thread style in dark, but I want the colors of default. Classic looks bad.

Edit: It is still there in Dark. I like seeing a whole page of a thread. Is there anyway to remove the button at the top and have just normal thread view?

You can change this with Settings -> Posts -> Hide Old Posts

I think. Never used it

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

You can change this with Settings -> Posts -> Hide Old Posts

I think. Never used it

Thank you, that did it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Does the full version of linkbubble support gifs? I have trouble displaying them.

E: oops wrong thread

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 23, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

midnightclimax posted:

Does the full version of linkbubble support gifs? I have trouble displaying them.

You're looking for this thread.

I had occasion to factory reset my phone yesterday (2014 Moto X on 5.0), and I'm still getting the "Loading Failed" toast when coming back to the bookmarks after not using the app for a bit. I'm still not getting the logged-out message, though.

Edit: It seems that I am susceptible to the logged-out message, but not frequently. I've had it once so far, just a few minutes ago. Swiping the app from the recents list and then re-opening from the bookmarks shortcut fixed it, however. No need to actually log out and back in.

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 23, 2015

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I have the stock Xoom running 4.1.2 on which Awful crashes when I get to the bottom of pages and when I try to swipe back to the thread list. It isn't always, but I can reliably reproduce it by not quite swiping all the way. What I mean is, if I get to the bottom but don't go all the way down, it crashes. If I swipe back to the threat list and don't take my finger all the way to the edge, it crashes.
I am actually sending this from Something instead of Awful because it is so easy to crash it at the bottom of a page.

My tablet isn't rooted and I have no experience using the debugging tools. When it crashes, it does not produce a crash dialogue; it just drops me on the desktop.

I want to help troubleshoot this because I am not buying another tablet any time soon and I don't feel comfortable rooting it or putting Cyanagenmod or something else on it. There is zero chance that any more official OS updates will be released for it.

Edit: I also have a Moto X 2nd gen phone running Android 5.0. The only issue I have on that is "Failed to load" when bring the app up.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 23, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do you have 'send my username in crash reports' enabled in the settings? The last crash with your name is from 3 months ago

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Testing a thing

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 24, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

And again!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

baka kaba posted:

And again!

Annnd another

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

One more

e- better add some content

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 24, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have the app set to not automatically show gifs, and when I told it to show the first one, they all showed at once. I don't know if that's what it normally does with multiple identical gifs.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

I have the app set to not automatically show gifs, and when I told it to show the first one, they all showed at once. I don't know if that's what it normally does with multiple identical gifs.

It didn't used to do that and people said it should. So now it does (well for almost a year now).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It should and you were right to do it!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Really minor thing, but on my S5 I noticed words bleed through a spoiler when it's also a hyperlink. It doesn't exactly come up often, but still. This links to Google. I'm on the dark theme, if that matters.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

mastajake posted:

Really minor thing, but on my S5 I noticed words bleed through a spoiler when it's also a hyperlink. It doesn't exactly come up often, but still. This links to Google. I'm on the dark theme, if that matters.

Does that on note 2 as well

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe the wow goons subforum of the blizz subforum is gone, or I don't know how to access it. There's no drop-down menu on the left.

E: this applies to every sub-sub, phone-view

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 24, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

For me it's simply handled like a normal sub forum on the same level as the Blizzard one. :shrug:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Honj Steak posted:

For me it's simply handled like a normal sub forum on the same level as the Blizzard one. :shrug:

Nope, not for me. There's nothing there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

midnightclimax posted:

Nope, not for me. There's nothing there.
You can try: refreshing that view, clearing your app data, changing themes, updating the app

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

anthonypants posted:

You can try: refreshing that view, clearing your app data, changing themes, updating the app

Yeah changing themes fixed it. Ty

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why is this post orange?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spankmeister posted:

Why is this post orange?

Is that the OP? Also, what thread is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nmfree posted:

Is that the OP? Also, what thread is that?

No and here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610457&pagenumber=69#lastpost