Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Nerdrock posted:

Please, please tell me it just tells anyone who uses it that their hacker name is "idiot."

unfortunately it just relies on people typing it into the comments section on facebook

which an unsurprising number of people do

so you then get to call them an idiot manually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Nerdrock posted:

Please, please tell me it just tells anyone who uses it that their hacker name is "idiot."

No, unfortunately:

Fortunately the only time I saw this was people joking about it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lightning Jim posted:

No, unfortunately:

Fortunately the only time I saw this was people joking about it.

BlueRainbowdash69

....what? Why is everyone looking at me like that?

e: That wasn't very funny I'm sorry.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Renegret posted:

e: That wasn't very funny I'm sorry.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This will always be the best response to anything.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

This will always be the best response to anything.

Let me tell you, this AV is starting to go into my head.

Whenever things are going to poo poo and I'm having a bad day, I start blowing raspberries for no reason. A temp overheard asked me ltwo weeks ago if I was alright. My response was "THE AMOUNT OF FART NOISES I MAKE IS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO HOW lovely TODAY HAS BEEN GOING. DON'T ASK. *PBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBT*"

That temp is gone now. My secret is safe.

As far as tickets go, I have a ticket pending on me since this morning with a request of "please provide more information" with no more details as far as what they want. The problem with this ticket is that they originally sent it to me, and I sent it back asking for more information.

I'll let it pend for a bit before angrily sending it back again telling them to read the god drat ticket.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Renegret posted:

Let me tell you, this AV is starting to go into my head.

Whenever things are going to poo poo and I'm having a bad day, I start blowing raspberries for no reason. A temp overheard asked me ltwo weeks ago if I was alright. My response was "THE AMOUNT OF FART NOISES I MAKE IS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO HOW lovely TODAY HAS BEEN GOING. DON'T ASK. *PBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBT*"

That temp is gone now. My secret is safe.

As far as tickets go, I have a ticket pending on me since this morning with a request of "please provide more information" with no more details as far as what they want. The problem with this ticket is that they originally sent it to me, and I sent it back asking for more information.

I'll let it pend for a bit before angrily sending it back again telling them to read the god drat ticket.

"Kindly please do the needful and revert."

EDIT:
A call came in... a robo call. I'm impressed, since I only have an extension not a direct dial number.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 22, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
If there's software out there that can negotiate phone menus, I want it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm sure you could script a soft phone to spam 0 until a person shows up

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Swink posted:

If there's software out there that can negotiate phone menus, I want it.

Pressing 0 a few times usually works. (e:fb)

Then again, doing that probably just gets somebody pissed off that he has to manually connect you to the proper department when your issue should clearly be handled by team "1, then 3".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your phone system doesn't give me a list of options that I can press a button to navigate through, wants me to say in plain English what the issue is and then fails to match it 5 times, you're drat right I'll be mashing the 0 key.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Trying to get git installed on a CentOS server that is sold by a storage company so we can push plugins out via an internal git server. They locked down yum so that you can't install and/or update anything; running yum repolist comes back with a list of none.

I know they did it to prevent dumb end users from running yum update and borking the server but it makes my job as an integrator hellish. Actually a lot of things with this particular company have made my job hellish.

:bang:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 22, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

try yum --enablerepo=* repolist

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spankmeister posted:

try yum --enablerepo=* repolist

We ended up copying the repolist from the "vendor stuff" (for lack of a better term) directory to /etc/yum.repos.d/ and are trying to come up with a cleaner way. This vendor is rather particular on how things are done so we're treading carefully in this instance.

I'll keep the command tucked away for further use though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pr0digal posted:

We ended up copying the repolist from the "vendor stuff" (for lack of a better term) directory to /etc/yum.repos.d/ and are trying to come up with a cleaner way. This vendor is rather particular on how things are done so we're treading carefully in this instance.

Well all that does is enable repos that are disabled in the configuration, you'd still need to actually have repositories configured in yum.repos.d

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

pr0digal posted:

yum -c /path/to/some.config

Where that config has, at least:

pre:
[main]
reposdir = /path/to/your/repos
Really, though, if you want a cleaner way to make sure users can't install anything/etc, you should be using lifecycle management software (ala satellite/spacewalk/katello) to enforce package sets, since that's not preventing them from "rpm -Uvh http://path/to/foo.rpm http://path/to/bar.rpm"...

Similarly, replacing yum with a shell script which tells them they can't use yum, and locking users in the wrong group out of calling /usr/bin/yum with facls will stop 99% of problems, since most users don't have a clue how facls work and will be totally mystified when "ls -l" shows them it should be executable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah also giving your users root but expecting them to be thwarted by such a simple restriction is kinda silly. There's 100's of ways to get around something like that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

Yeah also giving your users root but expecting them to be thwarted by such a simple restriction is kinda silly. There's 100's of ways to get around something like that.

This.

Why would your users have root access, instead of a very specific set of commands they are allowed to run with sudo?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

spankmeister posted:

Never underestimate the stupidity of users.

In my 7 years of managed hosting, never once did a user figure out why they couldn't edit certain files I didn't want them loving with. chattr +i filename is a poor substitute for proper lifecycle management but it works when everyone around you are idiots

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's probably like a support/legal thing wherethey "disable" yum and when you do have a support issue and you have installed packages they can point to that and say you tampered with their system.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Thanks Ants posted:

If your phone system doesn't give me a list of options that I can press a button to navigate through, wants me to say in plain English what the issue is and then fails to match it 5 times, you're drat right I'll be mashing the 0 key.
Try this in our phone tree and you get sent back to the first menu.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

A co-worker had a ticket come in...

Some security guy in a company ran a security test against his network and got a TON of CVE responses, and wants our help with fixing them.

Funny thing is A) customer didn't even know what a CVE was and B) just reponses on CVEs wasn't enough, he wanted us to fix them for him.

What is also funny is several of the CVEs only affected specified vendors that are not us (firmware vulnerabilities), so it's irrelevant that those CVEs are flagged.

This guy is an internal security member of a company that's primary service is making security software.

This is simply amazing. :psyboom:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

If your phone system is one of those lovely voice activated pieces of poo poo, I do this.

Nothing says crazy than saying "yes, no, agent, agent, AGENT, AGENT, loving AGENT YOU PIECE OF poo poo" to a telephone system.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CEO caught wind that the local hospital is dumping transcription and going with Dragon Naturally Speaking for everyone, so now we're going to do the same thing for our doctors. I haven't used Dragon in about 12 years, but I remember it being poo poo back then. I guess we'll get to find out how it deals with a thick Indian accent.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sham I Am posted:

My car loan is from a bank that you literally cannot reach by telephone. If you call up, they give you an automated menu that will give you the status of your payment and loan, but it has no option to speak to anyone. If you enter 0 or the wrong menu option enough times, it smugly says "good bye" and hangs up on you...

...Unless their bill collectors are trying to reach you, and have been for long enough that they've switched from robocalls to real people. In that case it will connect you directly with a person as soon as it gets your account number. This means that if I want to actually ask a question about my loan or change something, my only course of action is to not pay my car note for a few weeks. :shepface:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

wa27 posted:

CEO caught wind that the local hospital is dumping transcription and going with Dragon Naturally Speaking for everyone, so now we're going to do the same thing for our doctors. I haven't used Dragon in about 12 years, but I remember it being poo poo back then. I guess we'll get to find out how it deals with a thick Indian accent.

The new Dragon stuff is actually pretty good once you train it. Thick rear end asian, indian and southern accents all have remarkably good transcription performance once you do the required calibration reading. It also learns as it goes to refine things. Compared to 10 years ago, worlds and worlds of difference.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

wa27 posted:

We recently invested in a rather pricey new closed captioning system that would do live transcriptions of live and ad-libbed segments so interns wouldn't have to sit there and type everything.

What we got was basically a copy of Naturally Speaking wrapped in a lovely java window.

Even after multiple training sessions, it mistakes every 4th or 5th word.

Granted, all that audio is filtered through four or five really old machines and then to an XLR>USB converter.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spankmeister posted:

It's probably like a support/legal thing wherethey "disable" yum and when you do have a support issue and you have installed packages they can point to that and say you tampered with their system.

Probably this. They have a folder chock full of scripts so my guess is if you want to install something you have to call up support and have them walk you through it.

Or we can say gently caress that and just circumvent their restrictions. And we do everything as root on these boxes but rootsh is used to elevate so it's logged. It's the vendors specs so that's what we do.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

wa27 posted:

Strangely well, actually, especially after training; Dragon will have dozens of ML models and they'll pick the best one for your accent initially and continue to refine it over time. Accents for any country that contributes a lot of software engineers tend to work more-or-less well enough.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The new Dragon stuff is actually pretty good once you train it. Thick rear end asian, indian and southern accents all have remarkably good transcription performance once you do the required calibration reading. It also learns as it goes to refine things. Compared to 10 years ago, worlds and worlds of difference.

I can speak from personal experience that Dragon has significantly improved. I interned at Nuance for two summers and I have a family member who works there. The speech recognition on the iPhones/iPads is Nuance backend as well.

And as larchesdanrew mentioned some closed captioning systems run it. If I remember correctly you can tell because of the contractions.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sham I Am posted:

I would do murder upon discovering this.

Long, drawn out, painful, grisly murder.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Agrikk posted:

I would do murder upon discovering this.

Long, drawn out, painful, grisly murder.
I would too. I warned them when it was first set up, but the CS manager was to busy giggling over how great it was to pay attention. At least I don't have to deal with the fall out though

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I have been tasked with finding a bunch (150' or so) of 4" braided cable sleeve. It's probably gonna have to be custom made.

Anyone have any preferred vendors for this sort of thing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sham I Am posted:

I would too. I warned them when it was first set up, but the CS manager was to busy giggling over how great it was to pay attention. At least I don't have to deal with the fall out though

Better than T-Mobile's phone tree a few years ago, where if it didn't understand what you wanted at the voice prompt IT HUNG UP ON YOU.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I have been tasked with finding a bunch (150' or so) of 4" braided cable sleeve. It's probably gonna have to be custom made.

Anyone have any preferred vendors for this sort of thing?

I've only ever seen that stuff sold in bulk lengths. You might need to get a hot knife and cut it to length yourself.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Slanderer posted:

I've only ever seen that stuff sold in bulk lengths. You might need to get a hot knife and cut it to length yourself.

That's what I want. It just has to be 4" in diameter. I'm kind of at a loss on where to actually buy it from.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

4" is a ridiculously huge size. What do you need it that big for?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm guessing their basement storeroom flooded and some manager figured out empty cable is cheaper than a hose.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

That's what I want. It just has to be 4" in diameter. I'm kind of at a loss on where to actually buy it from.

Ohhhh poo poo I thought you meant a reasonable diameter cut to 4" lengths. Yeah, 4" diameter is huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Yeah 4" is PVC or dryer hose territory.

• Locked thread