Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Funzo posted:

That was pretty mild to be honest. There were a couple of shots where I couldn't even pick out people doing anything remarkable. If that's considered horrible driving in Portland, I'd take it any day.

I was just in Portland, and the drivers there are amazing. People actually stop at the stop bar when they can't make it all the way through the intersection!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

I was just in Portland, and the drivers there are amazing. People actually stop at the stop bar when they can't make it all the way through the intersection!

I don't believe you! It's impossible!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mooseykins posted:

Winnebago, excuse you!

It was like 300 yards ahead of him.

SHOCK HORROR.

The exact point I closed the video.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

This seems pretty excessive, especially considering that he was in the middle lane. I'm not saying he's innocent but at least he wasn't driving a huge double decker bus in the passing lane, which is something I see literally every day and doubt anyone tickets for.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I cruise the middle lane, but I go like 10-15 over and keep up with traffic

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Safety Dance posted:

Haha you must be talking about Maine because Oregon drivers do that poo poo all the time. And Beaverton is full of left turn red light runners.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I cruise the middle lane, but I go like 10-15 over and keep up with traffic

If you can do so, why not change lanes toward the slow lane? I like cruising in the left and middle lanes too, but I always change lanes toward the slow lane when I'm able to. It just makes life so much simpler for everyone when you don't use a judgement call. If you can move to the outside and maintain speed, you should move to the outside. Easy as pie, and if everyone did it the world would be a better place.

EDIT: The fact that no one should be going faster than I am (I usually go 20 km/h over on the highway, depending on conditions and traffic) doesn't change the fact that I should not impede someone who does want to go faster. I can always change left when I need to overtake again. When you have a bunch of people that actually obey the keep-right rule, it's so lovely and unstressful, and I want to be a part of that.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 23, 2015

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

nm posted:

The most interesting thing here was the e30 wagon.

I have to agree - there was some questionable driving, but drat, that wagon was sick.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hikaki posted:

This seems pretty excessive, especially considering that he was in the middle lane. I'm not saying he's innocent but at least he wasn't driving a huge double decker bus in the passing lane, which is something I see literally every day and doubt anyone tickets for.

Just watched 'Police, Camera, Bastards' - (or one of the variants) and an HGV driver caught reading a map while driving down the motorway at 60mph received a £60 fine.
Maybe the magistrate read hates lane hogs?

As for that Portland BMW pulling out, that happened to me yesterday. Only he was 5 feet in front of when he did it. That's bad driving.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The reason the fine was so heavy was because be failed to attend court, normally it's a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SyHopeful posted:

Haha you must be talking about Maine because Oregon drivers do that poo poo all the time. And Beaverton is full of left turn red light runners.

Nope, Oregon. Something like Washington and 12th.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

PT6A posted:

If you can do so, why not change lanes toward the slow lane? I like cruising in the left and middle lanes too, but I always change lanes toward the slow lane when I'm able to. It just makes life so much simpler for everyone when you don't use a judgement call. If you can move to the outside and maintain speed, you should move to the outside. Easy as pie, and if everyone did it the world would be a better place.

EDIT: The fact that no one should be going faster than I am (I usually go 20 km/h over on the highway, depending on conditions and traffic) doesn't change the fact that I should not impede someone who does want to go faster. I can always change left when I need to overtake again. When you have a bunch of people that actually obey the keep-right rule, it's so lovely and unstressful, and I want to be a part of that.

I stick to the middle lane because I don't want to deal with people merging.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Wamsutta posted:

That and when I come across a slow semi in the center lane once every half mile, I don't want to have to cut over two lanes to pass them (or undertake and risk being squished when the trucker suddenly realizes he has to take the next exit). As long as you're going with the prevailing speed of traffic and aren't cruising in the far left lane, I don't see what the issue is; there's still a lane available for anyone who wants to pass you.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Safety Dance posted:

Nope, Oregon. Something like Washington and 12th.

Ah okay. Come back and sample any of our freeway onramps during rush hour :)

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Almost made my day yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfCVwVU0ClA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

When I was walking home last night, I saw a cabbie pull into the oncoming lane, and then turn left immediately in front of a bicyclist who was on the street, nearly hitting him and causing him to have to stop very quickly. He seemed confused about what he'd done wrong when I asked him if he realized he'd just done several illegal things.

Whatever process we use to license taxi drivers in this city isn't loving working. I didn't think this was possible, but I believe they're worse, on average, than regular drivers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PT6A posted:

When I was walking home last night, I saw a cabbie pull into the oncoming lane, and then turn left immediately in front of a bicyclist who was on the street, nearly hitting him and causing him to have to stop very quickly. He seemed confused about what he'd done wrong when I asked him if he realized he'd just done several illegal things.

Whatever process we use to license taxi drivers in this city isn't loving working. I didn't think this was possible, but I believe they're worse, on average, than regular drivers.

Taxi drivers are poo poo the world over. When you take upon yourself to do a job, after a certain amount of years you're considered somewhat of a master at it in the eyes of others. I can only think of one single job where the longer you've worked at it, the shittier you get and that's taxi driver.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

88h88 posted:

Taxi drivers are poo poo the world over. When you take upon yourself to do a job, after a certain amount of years you're considered somewhat of a master at it in the eyes of others. I can only think of one single job where the longer you've worked at it, the shittier you get and that's taxi driver.

Politician.
Road worker.

I can think of others :P

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ludicro posted:

The reason the fine was so heavy was because be failed to attend court, normally it's a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points.
Ok, yeah, that's a good way to get the book thrown at you.

Wamsutta posted:

dennyk posted:

That and when I come across a slow semi in the center lane once every half mile, I don't want to have to cut over two lanes to pass them (or undertake and risk being squished when the trucker suddenly realizes he has to take the next exit). As long as you're going with the prevailing speed of traffic and aren't cruising in the far left lane, I don't see what the issue is; there's still a lane available for anyone who wants to pass you.
There's a difference between that and obstinately sitting in the middle pissing off everyone behind you.

Have to say, yes, there can be good reasons to keep in the middle lane, and that would be why I'm not completely in love with it being on the books. If plod's opinion of what's a good reason doesn't align with your own, you're going to get stuck for it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wamsutta posted:

And I'll use that free right lane as my own personal express lane right past you and everyone else who is afraid of a lane merger.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

88h88 posted:

I'm not sure about that. Most other places I've been where taxis are crazy and do illegal poo poo, they do it in the name of efficiency. Here, they just do stupid poo poo for no reason. The taxi involved could've simply stopped, waited for the bike to pass, and then completed their left turn as drivers everywhere do every day. Nope; he had to pull into the oncoming lane, and cut the cyclist off. Given there was very little other traffic at the time, this gained him perhaps 4 seconds of time at the cost of doing several illegal and dangerous things.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This is an intersection near where I live. I see this regularly, where the eastbound and westbound left turn lanes have a green arrow to make a protected turn, and the turds driving the opposite way will make a right on red, nearly hitting the left turning traffic.

What do you goons think about this?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont know why anyone would be in favor of that. Those guys are jerks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are there two lanes going southbound or one? I probably wouldn't attempt that right-on-red even if there are two because I just don't trust people to pick the near lane when turning, but if there's two then there's enough room for both to go without hitting each other.

If there's one, then right-on-red needs to yield (and should perhaps be prohibited altogether).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There are two southbound and northbound lanes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If I'm the red arrow (right on red) I'm going to assume Mr. Green Arrow is going to make an illegal turn and hit me, so I would be cautious. If I'm the green arrow, I'm going to assume Mr. Red Arrow is both not going to be paying attention and make an illegal turn, so I would be cautious.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Ok, yeah, that's a good way to get the book thrown at you.

There's a difference between that and obstinately sitting in the middle pissing off everyone behind you.

Have to say, yes, there can be good reasons to keep in the middle lane, and that would be why I'm not completely in love with it being on the books. If plod's opinion of what's a good reason doesn't align with your own, you're going to get stuck for it.

Yeah sorry I was phone posting from work so I couldn't go into much more detail. Basically he was stopped by police, and like most offenses of its kind, offered a fixed penalty. So that means you pay the £100, your license is electronically endorsed with 3 penalty points, and you go on your merry way. This guy refused the fixed penalty, so the matter gets referred to court. With offenses such as these, you'd better have a damned good reason to not take the fixed penalty as the costs for losing a court case are very high in comparison. So this guy decides to go to court to fight the matter...and doesn't bother to show up. On top of it he's now trying to play the victim, so gently caress him.

There does seem to be a lot of people online who don't grasp the concept of what lane hogging actually is. I see comments all the time from people along the lines of "but what if theres heavy traffic and lorries in the inside lane and I'm going past them?!". Well that isn't loving lane hogging is it? Thats using lanes as they are meant to be used. As soon as you've cleared any slower traffic to your left, if is safe and practical to do so you move back into the inside lane.

Honestly anyone who can't grasp this simple concept shouldn't be driving.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Two armed men 16 year olds and a chase vehicle carjacked a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, video has the 911 call.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=778_1433545139

I realize that this is from a few pages back, but how the hell does anyone end up paying $40K for a bog-standard Wrangler ?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ludicro posted:

There does seem to be a lot of people online who don't grasp the concept of what lane hogging actually is. I see comments all the time from people along the lines of "but what if theres heavy traffic and lorries in the inside lane and I'm going past them?!". Well that isn't loving lane hogging is it? Thats using lanes as they are meant to be used. As soon as you've cleared any slower traffic to your left, if is safe and practical to do so you move back into the inside lane.
Yep, that's fine. However, if a copper disagrees with your opinion on whether it's justifiable lane use, you still get the fine and points.

Did you stay out because you saw there was a junction ahead, and wanted to be clear of any traffic coming down the sliproad? Or there's another lorry further up the road that you'll just have to pull back out for anyway? Or were you just mindlessly sitting there because you couldn't be arsed to pull back in?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
OK, this is my favorite annoyance in parking lots. I see this crap all the time.

"OH, I'M GOING TO PARK IN THE ROAD AND BLOCK TRAFFIC IN THIS STRIPMALL BECAUSE I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!"

And before you start making excuses, it's Home Depot. There's parking right by the exit for this kind of thing. Instead Mrs. Snowflake decides to park in the traffic lane.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I realize that this is from a few pages back, but how the hell does anyone end up paying $40K for a bog-standard Wrangler ?

A new Wrangler with the Rubicon package starts at more than that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Mandingo posted:

If there are two lanes, then both left turners and right-on-red can go without conflict as long as the drivers aren't loving retarded. Obviously that's a high standard to ask of a lot of people, but if everyone stays in the lane they're supposed to be in there's no problem.

buttcrackmenace posted:

If you get a four-door model with the full off-road package (Rubicon Hard Rock Edition, since apparently the regular Rubicon package has now become more of a decal job) the MSRP starts at $40,495. Add a few options and you can get close to $50k.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Yep, that's fine. However, if a copper disagrees with your opinion on whether it's justifiable lane use, you still get the fine and points.

Did you stay out because you saw there was a junction ahead, and wanted to be clear of any traffic coming down the sliproad? Or there's another lorry further up the road that you'll just have to pull back out for anyway? Or were you just mindlessly sitting there because you couldn't be arsed to pull back in?

I don't think the sliproad example would hold water, as it is the responsibility of traffic on the sliproad to give way to traffic already on the motorway. If you spotted cars joining in front of you and you switched lanes to avoid having to brake, then I think you'd be fine, as you are merely overtaking slower traffic. Likewise if you see a lorry up ahead that you'd have to pull back out for almost straight away anyway, I doubt you'd have a problem. Personally I use a 15 second rule; if its going to take me longer than 15 seconds to catch up to the lorry ahead I'll pull in, if not I'll stay where I am.

Bear in mind that these new regulations for penalties have been in effect for 2 years now and its taken this long for the first prosecution. This was also someone who was driving 10mph under the speed limit and persistently hogging the middle lane for quite some time before they pulled him over. Basically I think you'd have to hog lanes for a long time before you get pulled over and issued a fixed penalty, its a bit like how (around here at least) can happily whizz past police cars at 80mph and they don't give a poo poo. Staying in the middle lane as you're going to be passing a lorry 100m ahead of you anyway? You'll be fine.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

nitrogen posted:

OK, this is my favorite annoyance in parking lots. I see this crap all the time.

"OH, I'M GOING TO PARK IN THE ROAD AND BLOCK TRAFFIC IN THIS STRIPMALL BECAUSE I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!"

And before you start making excuses, it's Home Depot. There's parking right by the exit for this kind of thing. Instead Mrs. Snowflake decides to park in the traffic lane.

Come on, you need to get to this level.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

wolrah posted:

If you get a four-door model with the full off-road package (Rubicon Hard Rock Edition, since apparently the regular Rubicon package has now become more of a decal job) the MSRP starts at $40,495. Add a few options and you can get close to $50k.

The aftermath photos show that it isn't even a Rubicon. Some people just buy Wranglers with every feature except offroad features because they suck at life.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ludicro posted:

I doubt you'd have a problem.
Probably not, I just dislike having to rely on plod seeing eye-to-eye with my reasoning. I have the same issue with the "good reason" stuff regarding carrying a locking knife.

I am an awkward bastard, basically.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The Mandingo posted:

Everyone's pretty much answered this correctly but I'll extend it further to say that when I leave work and make a right turn into 3 lanes of traffic, I know that I only need one lane free to turn into, but I tend to wait until there's space in the middle lane also for me to either get out before the next car or right after. Even though I won't stick my nose into that second lane, if the driver in it is anything like me expects that I'm an idiot who simply doesn't see him, and may take evasive maneuvers. If I was the red turn dude I'd stick my nose out but I wouldn't dare make the turn simultaneously with green because people get freaked out when they see a car heading towards them. There is no way to know whether someone sees you and is an idiot or not.

Same goes for if there were two turn lanes at green going into 3 lanes southbound. I make a turn like that every day and if I'm in the top turn lane and there's no one coming from red's side, I'll take that far lane even though I know I'm not supposed to, because I've seen more than enough people in the bottom lane go straight into the middle to fear for my safety. If there is someone waiting at red then I'll manage my speed so I'm not parallel with the other guy turning, because if I don't then that'll be the day someone merges right into me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Probably not, I just dislike having to rely on plod seeing eye-to-eye with my reasoning. I have the same issue with the "good reason" stuff regarding carrying a locking knife.

I am an awkward bastard, basically.

Understandable, but I think its one of those things that can be avoided with a bit of commonsense. From my experience at least you have to really act out in order to attract the attention of a motorway cop. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I was cutoff in a parking lot by an Audi who was then immediately cut off by a Prius. I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are there two lanes going southbound or one? I probably wouldn't attempt that right-on-red even if there are two because I just don't trust people to pick the near lane when turning, but if there's two then there's enough room for both to go without hitting each other.

If there's one, then right-on-red needs to yield (and should perhaps be prohibited altogether).

This is the correct answer - and for the record, I would be extremely cautious making a left or right turn, if only because of assholes that take wide swings into the outside lane (or like to run red lights altogether)