Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Have you guys run into any unintended phase cancellation issues before when playing loops on top of each other?

I've been playing in a group with live instrumentation on top of electronic drums. These guys insist they want to be able to use it and won't learn how to use any pad apps or laptop programs, so we use a Boss RC-505.

One of our songs has a line with an 808-like kick pulsing. It goes on top of another more regular drum beat. It sounds fine over normal earphones and on the recorded version of the song, but when you play through a PA (and most of the PAs at the venues we're playing at are going mono), the volume of the regular drum beat drops and the rest of the group complains about losing their timing.

I've inverted the wav for the 808 line and also jacked up the gain on the various drum parts. I've made sure no compression setting is in place that would squash the sound. I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas?

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Brony Car posted:

Have you guys run into any unintended phase cancellation issues before when playing loops on top of each other?

I've been playing in a group with live instrumentation on top of electronic drums. These guys insist they want to be able to use it and won't learn how to use any pad apps or laptop programs, so we use a Boss RC-505.

One of our songs has a line with an 808-like kick pulsing. It goes on top of another more regular drum beat. It sounds fine over normal earphones and on the version of the song, but when you play through a PA (and most of the PAs at the venues we're playing at are going mono), the volume of the regular drum beat drops and the rest of the group complains about losing their timing.

I've inverted the wav for the 808 line and also jacked up the gain on the various drum parts. I've made sure no compression setting is in place that would squash the sound. I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas?

I'm looking into a similar setup and also steering clear from laptops or software. In fact the rig I'm planning is centered around an rc 505.

Are you guys running the inputs through a mixer before the looper? Try running sounds through a mixer first, then out from the looper to the pa.

Even better might be to run sounds into mixer, run looper pedal through fx sends pre, and it theoretically you should be able to turn the send knob all of the way up to engage the audio into the looper.

If this is not doable right now.. Do your sound check with the volume faders on the looper at 75% so you have some wiggle room when you get started. This is a good rule of thumb anyways, even for things like guitar.

If your into computers and software, start learning Mobius looper. Get a midi pedal and hide the laptop from the guys. They'll never know.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

philkop posted:

I'm looking into a similar setup and also steering clear from laptops or software. In fact the rig I'm planning is centered around an rc 505.

Are you guys running the inputs through a mixer before the looper? Try running sounds through a mixer first, then out from the looper to the pa.

Even better might be to run sounds into mixer, run looper pedal through fx sends pre, and it theoretically you should be able to turn the send knob all of the way up to engage the audio into the looper.

If this is not doable right now.. Do your sound check with the volume faders on the looper at 75% so you have some wiggle room when you get started. This is a good rule of thumb anyways, even for things like guitar.

If your into computers and software, start learning Mobius looper. Get a midi pedal and hide the laptop from the guys. They'll never know.

We haven't worked any live instrumentation looping into our setup yet. The RC-505 mainly plays .wav drum loops as a drummer substitute and to recreate synth hooks that the current keyboard player can't pull off. I don't know if I can run the sounds through a mixer first as a result.

I will try that fader approach though.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Brony Car posted:

We haven't worked any live instrumentation looping into our setup yet. The RC-505 mainly plays .wav drum loops as a drummer substitute and to recreate synth hooks that the current keyboard player can't pull off. I don't know if I can run the sounds through a mixer first as a result.

I will try that fader approach though.

I just picked up an akai mpx16 for $120. Its essentially a .wav sampler that I use for live drums, but it has some very basic but intuitive settings that I think would work better for you.

You can set any .wav sample (even if its a full length drum loop) to loop mode. So long as you load the samples in at the same bpm you'd be fine. The sample would play over and over until you turn it off.

There is also a choke group setting, so you could do things a few ways.

Have an entire drum loop going on one pad, put it on choke group 1 and have a separate drum loop also on choke group 1. When you press the button to switch to the other one, it will only play one sample from choke group one at a time, so you would effectively switch between the loops.

What I think would be even cooler, and I think you might like this too, would be to have a full kit (16 samples) per song. So long as you have the tempo preset on the samples themselves you can have pad 1 be that 808 kick drum you want, and split up the drum beats into different parts all in the same tempo. If you assign your choke groups (8 total) right, you could have a few different kick patterns, a few snare type parts, some different hi hat sizzles, all ready to loop in temp and organized so that only one of each drum part plays at a time.

Live, you could easy bring in and out different parts, and actually get some variety to the beats all with a simple pad touch while playing guitar or singing.

I'ts really a sweet little box with a lot of potential once you get over the fact that AKAI has basically given up on support for it. I could answer more questions about it for anyone interested, I had a lot of trouble finding info when I was looking into it.

philkop fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 12, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
So I went to my producer friend's place and he showed me the magic of ableton live.

I just want to use the launch feature to record live inputs from external guitar, keyboard, and vocals. I'll use an apc40 to mix them live. Drums will come from the drum rack.

Am I severely limiting myself by just getting the ableton intro version?

I know this isn't too be discussed, but I had trouble procuring ableton through other means so I figured I'd just purchase the cheap version.

E:nvm, no slicing

Standard it is.

philkop fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 12, 2015

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

philkop posted:

So I went to my producer friend's place and he showed me the magic of ableton live.

I just want to use the launch feature to record live inputs from external guitar, keyboard, and vocals. I'll use an apc40 to mix them live. Drums will come from the drum rack.

Am I severely limiting myself by just getting the ableton intro version?

I know this isn't too be discussed, but I had trouble procuring ableton through other means so I figured I'd just purchase the cheap version.

E:nvm, no slicing

Standard it is.

I also have noob live questions

I want to hook up my record player so that I can record it with a looper and have some knobs and buttons to play around with other effects and stuff.

I've seen some of the stuff designed to be used with serato that would have what I'm looking for but I was wondering if
A) it should be able to map in live just fine
B) anyone has some hot tips on cheap gear

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I had been meaning to start this edit for a very long time.

https://soundcloud.com/downpour/eat-india-youth-end-resultdownpour-edit

This is only the first half, having some trouble getting the back end working without just doing more of the same. Going to carry on mid this week so I figured it'd be good to get feedback on this part and try and finish it in one shot.

larusso
Oct 22, 2003
Du trägst 'n Gott zwischen deinen Schenkeln
After a hiatus of about 7 years of recording/producing music I just 'finished' two tracks. It's amazing to get back into this again.
It really feels like I found something I was missing but didn't realize it in the last few years.

Anyways, I have no clue what to think of my stuff so I would gladly appreciate criticism!

https://soundcloud.com/madhavamusic

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Whee! Two of my tracks got on this compilation http://www.positroniccollective.com/, which is gonna be out on bp and itunes in two weeks, but I think already available from that site I linked right now.

vvv thanks ;) I think that was the automatic URL thingie

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 17, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Congrats!

:ssh: you included a comma in the url, making it go 404.

Raavn
Jan 30, 2014

"Insert random smartass quote here."

wayfinder posted:

Whee! Two of my tracks got on this compilation http://www.positroniccollective.com/, which is gonna be out on bp and itunes in two weeks, but I think already available from that site I linked right now.

vvv thanks ;) I think that was the automatic URL thingie

Nice, getting picked by Jimbo is not the most common thing that happens to musicians. Congrats!

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Anybody have a mininova?

If you still had the manual just laying around I'd love it. Just got the synth for my girlfriend and she likes manuals.

E: I know I can print it, but she would like the real deal better.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster posted:

I had been meaning to start this edit for a very long time.

I took that down to continue work - it's done now

https://soundcloud.com/downpour/east-india-youth-end-result-downpour-edit

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
So I have a unique problem... only have a laptop, no headphones, no speakers (...no bass). Trying to do what I can with a new track but I think I'll end up settling for a time when I can actually fix things up by ear like it should be, as in when I can get my headphones shipped back to me. Still, would love any criticism I can get. Main problem I have as far as I know is the kicks are not balanced well for the track.

https://soundcloud.com/aeglus/bounce-serum-final/s-nlENF
https://soundcloud.com/aeglus/bounce-serum-boosted/s-bIIeN (boosted kicks)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

aeglus posted:

Main problem I have as far as I know is the kicks are not balanced well for the track.
Actually the main problem is that even on full range speakers anything but the kick sounds as if it is blasted through a broken tweeter. There's no mid range, no body, only harsh near-distortion shrshchshss. It's bordering on the unpleasant, actually.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Flipperwaldt posted:

Actually the main problem is that even on full range speakers anything but the kick sounds as if it is blasted through a broken tweeter. There's no mid range, no body, only harsh near-distortion shrshchshss. It's bordering on the unpleasant, actually.

Hmm thanks, no one else mentioned that. Looks like my only option is to shelve the thing until I get good speakers again and do it all over again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

aeglus posted:

Hmm thanks, no one else mentioned that. Looks like my only option is to shelve the thing until I get good speakers again and do it all over again.
I'm not going to exclude the possibility that it complies with some genre specific tendency that I'm not aware of and that it's maybe mostly intentional. I have a different tendency to often try to fit a lot of stuff in the midrange. But it strikes me as oddly balanced. It's probably safest if you find the opportunity to verify for yourself.

To which I want to add that I have done mixes on a $30 pair of earphones that came out reasonably well, in retrospect. This isn't all or nothing. You don't necessarily need to wait for the perfect headphones or speakers; almost anything will be an improvement over laptop speakers, especially for midrange. You can probably bring this track within a more average balance if you can borrow someone's iphone/ipod earphones for an evening.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not going to exclude the possibility that it complies with some genre specific tendency that I'm not aware of and that it's maybe mostly intentional. I have a different tendency to often try to fit a lot of stuff in the midrange. But it strikes me as oddly balanced. It's probably safest if you find the opportunity to verify for yourself.

To which I want to add that I have done mixes on a $30 pair of earphones that came out reasonably well, in retrospect. This isn't all or nothing. You don't necessarily need to wait for the perfect headphones or speakers; almost anything will be an improvement over laptop speakers, especially for midrange. You can probably bring this track within a more average balance if you can borrow someone's iphone/ipod earphones for an evening.

Yeah I've made a couple remixes that off of laptop speakers that sounded great when I played them out on Funktions, but this is the first all original track I've tried to make and gotten close to completion. I'll end up giving it another go when I get some decent earbuds. Thanks for the advice.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I've been getting some more videogames-related queries and stuff and I got around to working on some old requests and stuff because I have nothing to do:

https://soundcloud.com/mishkahd/fugue-state (Wound up sounding a lot like this old piece of poo poo!)

This is another progress-over-the-time thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhwiGkNTtc

I see all these vids from like SeamlessR and stuff where like 80 playlist tracks are used and, while my mixer is usually full up like that I typically use up to about 10 or so at a time on the playlist editor. How do I really work towards that kind of complexity? Is it really necessary? I figure it has to be because it looks impressive.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I'm building up a setup to eventually take into a live setting.

Am I better off with studio style monitors, or just biting the bullet and getting a small PA system.

We are in the stage of designing and mixing our instruments together, so for right now I just want to create the most accurate depiction of "Our sound" from within our apartment.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

philkop posted:

Am I better off with studio style monitors, or just biting the bullet and getting a small PA system.
The latter, because studio monitors aren't exactly roadworthy. Your sound is going to change per venue and whether it's good or not is a question for the FOH engineer; your monitoring on stage should let you hear what you need to hear so you know you're not playing off key or something.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

I see all these vids from like SeamlessR and stuff where like 80 playlist tracks are used and, while my mixer is usually full up like that I typically use up to about 10 or so at a time on the playlist editor. How do I really work towards that kind of complexity? Is it really necessary? I figure it has to be because it looks impressive.

Classic rock often used less than 8 tracks. Skrillex usually only has 1 large instrument playing on drops. Its not necessary. If you want to work more on complexity, try changing leads/pads over time, so that the melody is the same but it gets handed off to other voices. You can also layer sounds so you have mutlipe instruments playing the same melody/harmony. Lots of very subtle backgrounds effects and one-off sound. But perfection is when there is nothing left to take away. I wouldnt complicate something for the sake of it, unless the idea behind the track was complexity.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Agreed.

Some people like tinkering. Some people's whole process is tinkering. You can have a complex project because you don't go towards your goal in a straight line. Or you may be the type of guy to obsess over tiny details and subtleties no one else is likely to ever distinguish. Which can make cool stuff as well.

But it's all fine if you end up where you want to be. There's absolutely no necessity to complicate a track, especially not for the reason that other people do it and it "looks impressive". Simplicity and straightforwardness can be a quality just as well and added layering can definitely be nothing but clutter in some cases.

Definitely experiment if you're intrigued, but you shouldn't need to feel like you have to to make good music.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Thanks dudes, it kind of was a sticking point because I've been working hard on it and I don't want to stagnate since I've gotten into a kind of workflow rhythm.

I also made some heavy dance music for PC-88, a classic japanese PC that, in a 1985 version, included a 6-channel FM sound chip (3 FM and 3 PSG). Check it out! :getin: (SC link for those who can't visit MMLTalks)

e: I also did something a bit more in-line with this thread in general.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 27, 2015

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
This seems like the best place to post this project I've been working on, Twitch Plays Acid House . It's a sequencer controlled through Twitch chat that's currently running a virtual 909, 808, and 303. I'm still developing it, so more instruments, effects, and commands are on the way - suggestions are welcomed.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Does anyone have any tips for producing deep house/"future house"? I think that's a dumb name but whatever. Like any sample packs or vst's that would work well for that Oliver heldens sound. Already have massive and sylenth, that's about it. I know that's kind of a broad question but maybe someone has a suggestion. Thanks boys!

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

zeldadude posted:

Does anyone have any tips for producing deep house/"future house"? I think that's a dumb name but whatever. Like any sample packs or vst's that would work well for that Oliver heldens sound. Already have massive and sylenth, that's about it. I know that's kind of a broad question but maybe someone has a suggestion. Thanks boys!

deep house, i don't think you really need too much aside from a decent piano VST, and even then, it's not a necessity if you work the VSTs you already have. any old 808 or 909 sample pack should do you, especially cause you already have massive and sylenth

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ni have been releasing genre specific expansions for maschine for a while, that's your best bet. If you don't have a maschine... uh, get one, they're really good.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
Has anyone tried collaborating through the web service called Splice? It seems to be sort of like Soundcloud as a social music discovery site, mashed up with a cloud storage site that you can post your stems to (from a couple different DAWs) and let other people look at, work from and contribute to. It seems like it'd be good for folks who don't have an active electronic music community around them.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

People seem to either not respond or respond with a "dang this is dope keep it up!" without anything in between whenever I post my stuff. I'd love more pointed critique or criticisms of my mixing ability, songwriting, etc. Don't just pick at me for the sake of picking at me, or do, I guess, but I'd like to know what things stand out to you or that you like or dislike. Don't listen with an attitude going in of "okay I'm gonna find everything wrong with this", but I would like to know what you think isn't working about it. If that at all makes sense. The hugbox of soundcloud/twitter/youtube/etc fans is cool but it's not helping me progress or grow as an artist.

I guess I'd like to know what you think of my most recent releases, but feel free to go back if you like and tell me I was way better at computer music 2 years ago or something. Thanks!

https://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/music

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 6, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
E: figured it out

philkop fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

larusso posted:

After a hiatus of about 7 years of recording/producing music I just 'finished' two tracks. It's amazing to get back into this again.
It really feels like I found something I was missing but didn't realize it in the last few years.

Anyways, I have no clue what to think of my stuff so I would gladly appreciate criticism!

https://soundcloud.com/madhavamusic

This stuff is pretty cool and interesting. Your drums on the tattoo track remind me of classic house tracks from the 90s with attitude.

I'm going to be releasing an EP for free on this collective me and some friends from college made, these are two of the recent ones I've finished.

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/funked/s-1hWC2

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/flow/s-r0RDV

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Some PC Music-inspired craziness:

https://soundcloud.com/spacecampbeats/sugar-rush/s-sCdx6

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

https://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/album/obsidian-veins

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Transitioning from 128 to 140 has been harder than I thought, and also my computer blew up. I installed reaper on my partner's pc and I've had to get this stabby peice of poo poo out of my system:

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/sets/vertiphage
hq download https://fieldbalm.bandcamp.com/album/vertiphage

It's kinda more deep house at 140 then techno still, I think. I'd love some feedback on any of the tracks. I mixed this on a stereo, not my monitors, so let me know about anything glaring!

I've been programming my own sequencer in chuck that I am planning to move to 100% from now on.

I like this loads. Just enough noise to bury everything properly. What do you use for the warble/vibrato/chorus or whatever on the pads at the start? The naked cowbell sample sets me off a little (maybe from using it as my tf2 hitsound for years), but the lack of cheesiness in everything else lets it work really well.

Blowdryer posted:

This stuff is pretty cool and interesting. Your drums on the tattoo track remind me of classic house tracks from the 90s with attitude.

I'm going to be releasing an EP for free on this collective me and some friends from college made, these are two of the recent ones I've finished.

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/funked/s-1hWC2

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/flow/s-r0RDV

I liked the second song way more. There wasn't enough going on structure/sound design wise in the first track, but the second one has some great hooks and synth programming. The detuned chords throughout, plus the filtered lead thing that comes in half way through add a load of character and vibe.

zeldadude posted:

Any synth with good filters and envelopes. Pick a great reverb and delay plugin and learn how to program and automate the hell out of them!

field balm fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 17, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is there such a thing as a good general introduction to trackers, or should I just be looking for program specific guides?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

field balm posted:

I like this loads. Just enough noise to bury everything properly. What do you use for the warble/vibrato/chorus or whatever on the pads at the start? The naked cowbell sample sets me off a little (maybe from using it as my tf2 hitsound for years), but the lack of cheesiness in everything else lets it work really well.

Thanks! http://www.kvraudio.com/product/wow-and-flutter-by-the-interruptor in combination with various other standard chorus and reverb effects.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Just finished this funky thing. What do you guys think?

https://soundcloud.com/spokelee/noise-delivery

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

real nap poo poo posted:

People seem to either not respond or respond with a "dang this is dope keep it up!" without anything in between whenever I post my stuff. I'd love more pointed critique or criticisms of my mixing ability, songwriting, etc. Don't just pick at me for the sake of picking at me, or do, I guess, but I'd like to know what things stand out to you or that you like or dislike. Don't listen with an attitude going in of "okay I'm gonna find everything wrong with this", but I would like to know what you think isn't working about it. If that at all makes sense. The hugbox of soundcloud/twitter/youtube/etc fans is cool but it's not helping me progress or grow as an artist.

I guess I'd like to know what you think of my most recent releases, but feel free to go back if you like and tell me I was way better at computer music 2 years ago or something. Thanks!

https://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/music

i like the first track of this quite a bit:
https://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/album/let-the-reaper-reap

but you faded it out at the end and did it so quickly too, whyyyy :(
i just don't think it rly fits the elongated droning of the rest of the track

cubicle gangster posted:

Ni have been releasing genre specific expansions for maschine for a while, that's your best bet. If you don't have a maschine... uh, get one, they're really good.

have you used a push? if so, which would you prefer, the maschine or push?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
They're completely different things, you can't compare them.

I borrowed my friends push for a while and it didn't really add anything new I couldn't also do other ways. For djs who mix pre organised clips of tracks and have an ableton document with 100 warped tracks already in it, it's pretty useful. It's also good for live performance when you've finished a track and bounced down all the stems.

Maschine is completely unique and does a job nothing else does anywhere near as well. It's an ideas box - you can throw around hundreds of ideas a minute, refine and arrange them, then take it all out into ableton for more careful arrangement and mixing. They're at opposite ends of the process.
There really is nothing as useful as a maschine when you've got a blank page in front of you, sent my productivity through the roof.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread