Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Senator Tom Davis, of Beaufort, says that “debate on the Confederate Battle Flag in the Senate it would likely take a minimum of two weeks, and perhaps longer,” and, considering Davis’ last cause (defeating a gas-tax increase), may actually take longer given the State Senate’s desire to give every member his or her own say. “This isn’t an issue where the State Senate will cut off debate in any sort of expedited manner,” says Davis. “There will be every effort made to ensure that senators will have every opportunity to say everything they want to say.”

I’ve talked to many a legislator regarding “the flag,” and they are saying 99% of the emails, snail mail, or phone calls they are getting, come from people who are not South Carolinians. They do not have a say in this matter.

Get ready for this from Toms mouth....

quote:

Much like what actually spurred on the Civil War, these people are coming in from a national level and telling South Carolina how to run its government—and, as it did then, it’s working.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...o-rip-down-fla/

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

I mean at this point we've had everything up to and including Guy Walks Into Church During Bible Study And Murders Black People While Saying I Hate Black People and people still refuse to admit racism is a thing.

They admit racism is a thing that Obama is making worse.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Swan Oat posted:

What's stopping you? Deface the monuments!

The aforementioned jail sentence is enough of a deterrent - call me a chicken hawk. That, and the fact that defacing a monument is a great way to get people who might be sympathetic otherwise to not support your cause. Statue martyrdom, if you will.

I am tempted to go spit on Jefferson Davis' grave now, though.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

“There will be every effort made to ensure that senators will have every opportunity to say everything they want to say.”

This is a very good thing, I think. So much blatant racism will be outed because of something like this.

:munch:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zxqv8 posted:

“There will be every effort made to ensure that senators will have every opportunity to say everything they want to say.”

This is a very good thing, I think. So much blatant racism will be outed because of something like this.

:munch:

I read that as, "We're going to drag this out for weeks and hope that everyone just forgets."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Symbols matter, that's why we make symbols in the first place.

I should've been more clear. I meant that from their perspective, it's just damage control. From the perspective of the rest of the country and the next generation, it's a good thing and will hopefully inspire more to not go down that path.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

Seriously though, I live a block away from the Robert E. Lee monument and drive by effigies to noted traitors Stonewall Jackson, JEB Stuart, and Jefferson Davis like every day and it's rather grating. Surprised no one's defaced them yet.

I don't know. Do British people deface images of traitors like Washington and Jefferson? (I imagine some do, but who really cares?)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know. Do British people deface images of traitors like Washington and Jefferson? (I imagine some do, but who really cares?)

Lol no. There's a statue of Washington next to the national gallery in trafalgar square for god's sake.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 23, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh Todd

Wow EBay is really stopping sales

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Disinterested posted:

Lol no. There's a statue of Washington next to the national gallery for god's sake.

Of course if half of England was still lionizing him, and shooting up schools in the name of the insurrection, people might.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Hasters posted:

Of course if half of England was still lionizing him, and shooting up schools in the name of the insurrection, people might.

Quite. It wasn't exactly the end of the world for Britain to lose the 13 colonies, just a political scandal and a matter of personal anguish for George III. There was plenty of support for the revolutionary cause, too, from such heavyweight radicals as Pitt the Elder.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hasters posted:

Yeah it's a different situation I think, the Confederacy is dead and gone while Britain is Our Special Relationship. If the CSA was an extant nation that the USA was allied with then it would make more sense to commemorate their heroes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh Todd

Man, I hope nobody tells him about what Germany thinks of Nazis.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oh Todd

I think I can get behind a #culturalcleansing of the Confederacy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Oh Todd

eBay and Amazon exercising a lot of discretion over third-party posting may be a road we come to regret going down.

Matt Bevin is calling on Kentucky to remove its Jefferson Davis statue

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fried Chicken posted:

eBay and Amazon exercising a lot of discretion over third-party posting may be a road we come to regret going down.

...but they already do, though? I mean, this isn't something new that they've never done before, this is just moving one more item over to their "won't carry" bucket, which already has a ton of things in it from what I remember.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh Todd

I like this toddstarnes fella. Seems like its his job to point out all the heinous racist poo poo we need to erase from our country. Keep at it, @toddstarnes! I'll bring the bleach and sledgehammers! #culturalcleansing

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's far more offensive that eBay refuses to carry most cannabis paraphernalia when it's legal to tens of millions of people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ebay appears to still sell Nazi flag memorabilia.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

eBay already has had crazy Byzantine rules about what can be sold to whom where. This is nothing new.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe neoconfederates just have a really bad eBay score.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

ufarn posted:

Maybe neoconfederates just have a really bad eBay score.

You would be surprised what they're used to getting for free.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Growing up in Virginia I can't express how happy it makes me that people are finally recognizing the Confederacy and their flag for what it is

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

Amazon allegedly saw sales of Confederate items jump 3000% in the last 24 hours...

Trump and Rand have both called for the Confederate flag to be retired.

In other news: Here's an interview with Democratic senator Chris Murphy about the Democrats stance on foreign policy.

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

Impermanent posted:

The substance of his hate seems to primarily have been gleaned from online wellsprings like /poll/ and the various racist subreddits.

I am a little bit jealous of your naivete if you think that those sites are the absolute worst examples of racist content on the internet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sir Tonk posted:

I should've been more clear. I meant that from their perspective, it's just damage control. From the perspective of the rest of the country and the next generation, it's a good thing and will hopefully inspire more to not go down that path.

Well apparently the early release notes on Clinton's next speech say that the topic will be how the anti-confederate push is good, but it is symbolic and not a real solution to America's racial divide

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess now is a good time for me to campaign that they change the name of Robert E Lee Middle School here...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

Well apparently the early release notes on Clinton's next speech say that the topic will be how the anti-confederate push is good, but it is symbolic and not a real solution to America's racial divide

So who's still saying she's not a New Deal/Great Society liberal at this point?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hasters posted:

Well I for one am of the opinion that the above kind of liberal would be pushing for more of those policies. That being said I haven't paid enough attention.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Ebay appears to still sell Nazi flag memorabilia.

We discussed earlier how this "cleansing" of the confederate battle flag is just some BS to make everyone feel better, but not to actually change anything.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hasters posted:

Me, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Hasters posted:

:allears:

me, because she's absolutely a corporatist democrat and was literally on the board of walmart

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Disinterested posted:

Lol no. There's a statue of Washington next to the national gallery in trafalgar square for god's sake.

A significant difference here being that a rebel is only branded a traitor if they lose. Otherwise they're potential diplomatic partners or the new government (depending on the nature of the rebellion).

The Confederacy is the butt-end of all these jokes because they lost. If they won, they'd have eventually become the United States' #1 trading partner and would have abolished slavery in, I dunno, let's say the 1960s. You know, if they miraculously didn't fall apart from all the debt, inflation and interstate trade conflict post-war.

Hasters posted:

Great Society? Yes. New Deal? No.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If the British would deal with anything it'd probably be the huge statue of Cromwell outside of Parliament.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

this_is_hard posted:

:allears:

me, because she's absolutely a corporatist democrat and was literally on the board of walmart

This was discussed elsewhere, wherein she never really went to meetings and pushed for decent policies so much they made a green Walmart they call Hillary's Walmart, but hey, facts never mattered to the ideologues on this forum anyway.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alligator Horse posted:

I know it's significant that a guy like this is calling for the flag to come down, but holy hell is he off base here.

eh, this is good tho:

quote:

Imagine your great-grandfather was a slave. Imagine your great-grandfather was lynched. Imagine your grandfather was forced to drink from a separate fountain. Imagine your father or mother was murdered by a deranged man with the Confederate flag all over his website.

Imagine these kinds of horrors were your American heritage. Imagine every time you saw a Confederate flag it reminded you of this.

Now imagine being told you don’t understand what the flag “really” means.

It’s an insult.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

If the British would deal with anything it'd probably be the huge statue of Cromwell outside of Parliament.

He's not the most popular figure but he's also an author of our democracy. I can't imagine some of the worse founding fathers are going to stop being commemorated any-time soon!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Beamed posted:

This was discussed elsewhere, wherein she never really went to meetings and pushed for decent policies so much they made a green Walmart they call Hillary's Walmart, but hey, facts never mattered to the ideologues on this forum anyway.

lmao

please list a single policy that Hilary Clinton has ever championed that is anything close to the New Deal or the Great Society, tia

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Beamed posted:

You never need to compromise if you don't get invited to the bargaining table!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

lmao

please list a single policy that Hilary Clinton has ever championed that is anything close to the New Deal or the Great Society, tia

UHC?

• Locked thread