Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I have a bad feeling this sudden backlash over confederate iconology is going to end in a lot of self-satisfied kudos and little if any reflection as to why that same iconology was acceptable across most of the south up until last Friday.

Or the fact that those GOP presidential candidates likely would have held on to those CCC donations had this shooting not occurred.

Or why those GOP candidates received donations from such a racist organization to begin with.

Or what, aside from confederate apologism and iconology, poisoned the mind of Dylann Roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the TPP/TPA/whatever provisions state that the President has 5 years to negotiate its terms before putting it before Congress for a straight yes/no vote, doesn't that mean it's not Obama who'll be handling it? That seems like a big leap for something that's supposed to be part of his "legacy"

this_is_hard posted:

me, because she's absolutely a corporatist democrat and was literally on the board of walmart

Walmart was the first to dump the selling of CSA merchandise (just flags?) though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its this bizarre gymnastics move that they seem to be trying to make.

The flag started bad and was used for lots of bad stuff, but then we made it good and its just been innocuous good stuff for us for awhile, but then this jerk made it bad again so you need to address that but totally give us a pass on all those years we waved it around because we weren't bombing or shooting up black churches.

Its this weird deal where a bunch of people woke up and suddenly realized they can't back the flag anymore but they still have to find a way to brush off all those years of doing it without acknowledging they were literally waving the same banner as all the racist assholes, and that it was their's first.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Hasters posted:

So who's still saying she's not a New Deal/Great Society liberal at this point?

I don't have a lot of problems with what Clinton says, I have problems with her character, her sources of campaign funding, parts of her political/legislative record, and the fact that she'd be a dynastic President. In other words, I don't trust her to execute wholeheartedly on her stated agenda, and I don't like the political trends she represents.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

"Hey look, just because Wal Mart was literally jackbooting unions while I sat on their board of directors doesn't mean a thing.

I didn't even go to the meetings! :iamafag:"

~ Hillary "Eleanor Roosevelt" Clinton, 2016 Candidate for President

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hillary definitely has a robust record of championing liberal healthcare reform, that at the very least can't be ignored.

this_is_hard posted:

"Hey look, just because Wal Mart was literally jackbooting unions while I sat on their board of directors doesn't mean a thing.

I didn't even go to the meetings! :iamafag:"

~ Hillary "Eleanor Roosevelt" Clinton, 2016 Candidate for President
She could have been the most vocal supporter of rapprochement with unions on the planet, but if she's getting shut out by the rest of the board what can she do?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Supraluminal posted:

I don't have a lot of problems with what Clinton says, I have problems with her character, her sources of campaign funding, parts of her political/legislative record, and the fact that she'd be a dynastic President. In other words, I don't trust her to execute wholeheartedly on her stated agenda, and I don't like the political trends she represents.

yep. On nearly every single policy she's basically the equivalent of Obama. On foreign policy she's significantly more hawkish.

She will essentially be Obama except a tad bit more to the right.

quote:

She could have been the most vocal supporter of rapprochement with unions on the planet, but if she's getting shut out by the rest of the board what can she do?

Okay, so what you're saying is rather than speak up and say something she should do nothing and let bad things happen unopposed. Hillary Clinton, 2016 Candidate for President.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

spacetoaster posted:

We discussed earlier how this "cleansing" of the confederate battle flag is just some BS to make everyone feel better, but not to actually change anything.

Mass destruction of symbols can create change, that's why we do it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

Not serve on the board.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

We discussed earlier how this "cleansing" of the confederate battle flag is just some BS to make everyone feel better, but not to actually change anything.

This is wrong. Symbols matter, and a public outcry over racist symbols is meaningful in terms of the modern discourse on race and the racial history of the country. While it's good to advocate for large change, small change is still vitally important and should be supported.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not serve on the board.

Maybe she thought she could make a differeaahaha

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hasters posted:

So who's still saying she's not a New Deal/Great Society liberal at this point?

Trying to gloss over (and sometimes entrench) institutional racism to appease certain voting blocs? Yeah sounds about right.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

kaxman posted:

Maybe she thought she could make a differeaahaha

It's basically The Clintons.txt. They're renown for valuing 'loyalty' and connections above all else, and is exactly why people are so distrustful of her and her husband's relationship with Clinton Foundation donors. Her serving on the board of Walmart is like ground zero for Arkansas inside political baseball and it doesn't shock me for one second that she didn't say jack poo poo when they did things that are polar opposite of what she claims to support publicly.

The parallels with Clinton Foundation donors are obvious.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
De-confederatization(150 years too late) is more than has been done over any of the other mass shootings, so... at least it's some form of progress.

It's also nice for the people defending it to be told they don't matter, they are irrelevant. The "free market" slapping them down as everyone who wants any presence outside the american south recoils in horror is a nice bit of symbolism in itself.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

The Confederacy is the butt-end of all these jokes because they lost. If they won, they'd have eventually become the United States' #1 trading partner and would have abolished slavery in, I dunno, let's say the 1960s. You know, if they miraculously didn't fall apart from all the debt, inflation and interstate trade conflict post-war.
The Fire-Eaters had a very expansive set of foreign policy proposals, prior to 1860 they campaigned not only on the expansion of slavery into the new territories, but also for a U.S. Intervention into Cuba to prior up its slavery practices, intervention in Brazil to reinforce after the Mal'e revolt, the support of Texas in its breakaway from Mexico (on the basis of supporting slavery) and called for military aid to neighboring Caribbean and Central American slave states to preclude slave revolts.

Had the CSA survived the high probability is they would have acted on this to try to mitigate economic damage, and as a result would have created a slave-empire.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 23, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

This is wrong. Symbols matter, and a public outcry over racist symbols is meaningful in terms of the modern discourse on race and the racial history of the country. While it's good to advocate for large change, small change is still vitally important and should be supported.
Consider southern usage of racial slurs. A few decades ago, they were used in public and fellow white people weren't concerned by it. Now they're exchanged solely behind closed doors or through codewords, lest you look like an actual racist. Similarly, the confederate flag is a rallying icon to white nationalists, racists and "southern history experts" the nation over. It being forced out of the public eye marginalizes that type of perspective, makes it something that can only be shown and discussed amongst 'polite company'. That's a step in the right direction: maybe in a generation the average southerner will look stinkeyed at someone wearing confederate flag gear in public and think "whoa, hey, pull it back a little, buddy."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fried Chicken posted:

The Fire-Eaters had a very expansive set of foreign policy proposals, prior to 1860 they campaigned not only on the expansion of slavery into the new territories, but also for a U.S. Intervention into Cuba to prior up its slavery practices, intervention in Brazil to reinforce after the Mal'e revolt, the support of Texas in its breakaway from Mexico (on the basis of supporting slavery) and called for military aid to neighboring Caribbean and Central American slave states to preclude slave revolts.

Had the CSA survived the high probability is they would have acted on this to try to mitigate economic damage, and as a result would have created a slave-empire.

All true, and not to get into the age-old counterfactual about what an independent South would have actually looked like, but for my money I don't see the CSA surviving on its own due to its internal contradictions and, for lack of a better term, ornery nature of the various state governments. Hell, Georgia nearly re-seceded during the war over having to kick in war supplies for other confederate states. It seems likely to me that any major policy debate within the Confederate government could have easily provoked a new round of secessions, especially since the precedent would have then been set.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And here comes the final boom

http://www.mediaite.com/online/amazon-to-pull-confederate-flag-merchandise-from-website/

Amazon is pulling all confederate merchandise

Also this

5,466%

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Countdown until a prominent voice on the right (either in media or a politician) comes out and complains that the whites are being persecuted by ~mainstream America~ shunning their hate-flag and oh it's so hard for a white Christian man in America today just look at those liberals at WalMart/Amazon/wherever stifling our free speech!

oh I see Todd Starnes has already done this. well here's hoping one of the GOP candidates goes full neo-Confederate.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 23, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i dont like this praise that walmart & sears are getting just bc they're going to stop selling confederate flag merchandise now, like wow thanks for being halfway decent and letting the world know you’re finally gonna stop selling racist merchandise, how saintly of them. how about some dang healthcare or at least some respetc

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/amazon-to-pull-confederate-flag-merchandise-from-website/

Also this

5,466%
That Char-Broil does look pretty shady imo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not serve on the board.

What exactly would that gain?

How would the world be better if she didn't serve on that board? Besides improving the posting in this thread.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I can make my own confederate flag if I wanted to. hell, I can even make a sailor moon brooch

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

All true, and not to get into the age-old counterfactual about what an independent South would have actually looked like, but for my money I don't see the CSA surviving on its own due to its internal contradictions and, for lack of a better term, ornery nature of the various state governments. Hell, Georgia nearly re-seceded during the war over having to kick in war supplies for other confederate states. It seems likely to me that any major policy debate within the Confederate government could have easily provoked a new round of secessions, especially since the precedent would have then been set.

Well the noted resistance to providing war supplies lead to confederate officers stepping in to assume control of those industries so the supplies would keep coming. In my assumptions of a surviving CSA I assume that this sort of arrangement remains in place and you have a one party state with nominal control of the military with said military controlling all the important industries and a minor market for no industrial goods. With the army running the show internal divisions tend to disappear very swiftly, as do those who object to the army running the show (usually at night, into a shallow grave)

Basically the CSA died the first proto-fascist state, I assume that had it lived it would have become the first full one, and gone off to carve a slave-empire on in its sphere of influence the way Hitler did in Eastern Europe.

But like you said this is counter factual naval gazing and not really relevant

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It is good that you'll now have to go to a weird website that looks like it's from 1999 to obtain your Racist Traitor flag

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Countdown until a prominent voice on the right (either in media or a politician) comes out and complains that the whites are being persecuted by ~mainstream America~ shunning their hate-flag and oh it's so hard for a white Christian man in America today just look at those liberals at WalMart/Amazon/wherever stifling our free speech!

oh I see Todd Starnes has already done this. well here's hoping one of the GOP candidates goes full neo-Confederate.

Already happened, see the issue of the National Review dropped last evening

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

How would the world be better if she didn't serve on that board? Besides improving the posting in this thread.

It would make her less of a complete loving hypocrite?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Also this

5,466%

Will be. Everything's still up. Probably waiting for sales to die down first...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

this_is_hard posted:

No one actually cares about hypocrisy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

It is good that you'll now have to go to a weird website that looks like it's from 1999 to obtain your Racist Traitor flag
Confederate iconography gradually moving into the same realm of public nonacceptance and difficulty to acquire as Nazi iconography.

Where it deserves to be imo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

I donno, "reforming horrible institutions from within" seems pretty ideologically consistent for a former senator :v: (and any liberal politician).

But besides not angering ideologically pure leftists, what actual benefit would be seen to the rest of us if she'd excluded her voice from the board?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I actually just checked because of morbid curiousity, but there are still quite a few swastika'd items you can buy on Amazon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Also this

5,466%

I enjoy the blissful thoughts of imagining that these people are buying flags to burn them in that grill.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

Yeah, refusing to serve on the board of the single largest company in the state you live in and your husband governs is a good way to effect change.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

Yeah honestly bud I'm a Bernie guy myself but no one gets anywhere by out and out refusing to play the game. If you believe so hard in politics without process, go torch an office building.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I enjoy the blissful thoughts of imagining that these people are buying flags to burn them in that grill.
I'm sure at least one person is doing that. It's a good thought.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JT Jag posted:

And she could have been the one who called in the thugs and told them to kick in workers teeth. :toughguy:

It's fun to make up stuff!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'd prefer politicians that take a tiny chance of reform over a 0 chance of reform and keeping their ideological purity any day.

But then again, I'm not an accelerationist.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Perhaps by not associating with people who's actions directly contradict her stated beliefs and policy goals, she wouldn't be facing so much skepticism about her motives and the Clinton Foundation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I'd prefer politicians that take a tiny chance of reform over a 0 chance of reform and keeping their ideological purity any day.

But then again, I'm not an accelerationist.
I'm voting for whichever Democratic candidate gets through the primary entirely and 100% because there's probably a minimum of two Supreme Court seats opening up in the next 5 years, so it's a moot point to me. That said I'll give Bernie a vote in the primary

• Locked thread