Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

spacetoaster posted:

Are you talking about taking it off of government buildings, like JT clarified. Or are you talking about preventing a person from waving the flag on a sidewalk.

The only one thinking it was about people on the sidewalk was you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anti-Christian? Tell that to the Christian church I go to that has a lesbian pastor and works heavily with my city's LGBT homeless.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

NASCAR just came out against the Confederate flag.

I never expected to write that sentence

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow that's like movie theaters coming out against popcorn.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Bryan Fischer of American Family Association

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiibClEZ6Fo

:godwin:
wow, he isnt even original. That assclown who helped write uganda gay laws came up with gay Reich first, that and he thought all the nazis were homosexuals.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I represent Big Gay.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Calling for legislation to remove something that offends you? Be careful conservatives, this anti-gay pride flag thing sounds a lot like the many ACLU suits that you have ridiculed and raged about for years.

I wonder if they would take this case.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fried Chicken posted:

:aaa:

Its... happening?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
First they take are freedom flag. Next are guns. Then who will stop them from sending us to fabulous camps for forced butt sex?!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Amazing.

Question is, do they now ban people wearing it from entry into events?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DemeaninDemon posted:

First they take are freedom flag. Next are guns. Then who will stop them from sending us to fabulous camps for forced butt sex?!

You're under the mistaken impression gay men find you attractive. :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm continuing my blissful thoughts, imagining that a bunch of people boycott NASCAR over this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Amazing.

Almost definitely not. Might fine racers who wear it though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cythereal posted:

Anti-Christian? Tell that to the Christian church I go to that has a lesbian pastor and works heavily with my city's LGBT homeless.

Yeah, several churches in this area have rainbow flags on them. In radical leftist Upstate New York.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Someone needs to burn a General Lee car to really get this party started.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Boon posted:

No, replace the flag on top with the Union flag, stick flamethrowers on the bottom of the car and rename it the General Sherman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ReidRansom posted:

Amazing.

The article I read said they explicitly wouldn't ban the flag from events, simply discourage it.

But that's fine. Its about enough people saying its bad so you can't avoid feeling like an rear end in a top hat if you're the guy waving it. And if NASCAR is saying its bad? drat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Roof damaged his own cause so severely with what he did. Unless RaHoWa starts in the next week, his attack will have had the opposite consequences as he intended.

(Liberal plant)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

No, replace the flag on top with the Union flag, stick flamethrowers on the bottom of the car and rename it the General Sherman.

I have seen this sans flamethrowers as the General Grant.

STAC Goat posted:

The article I read said they explicitly wouldn't ban the flag from events, simply discourage it.

But that's fine. Its about enough people saying its bad so you can't avoid feeling like an rear end in a top hat if you're the guy waving it. And if NASCAR is saying its bad? drat.

Ah, well, progress nonetheless.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's great that we're all banning the Confederate flag so we can feel good about not addressing structural racism in any form.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Boon posted:

I don't think any of those old Challengers from Dukes of Hazzard exist anymore. They pretty much wrecked a car a week on the show, and someone wrapped a surviving one around a tree last week. There's probably one in a museum, but the new one had the flag erased from it's roof.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's great that we're all banning the Confederate flag so we can feel good about not addressing structural racism in any form.
This is no joke the closest thing to a frank discussion about race that America has had since the beginning of the Obama Presidency, I'll take what I can get

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm personally surprised we're getting even this much, to be honest.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Thanks Luigi Thirty for making GBS threads all over our party.

If it gets one person to rethink their thoughts about racism in the US it was a success.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

(Liberal plant)

It will likely not surprise you one bit to hear that this is one of many stupid and deluded ideas freep has come up with to avoid admitting that a white Neo-Confederate murdered black people because he hates them.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Thanks Luigi Thirty for making GBS threads all over our party.

If it gets one person to rethink their thoughts about racism in the US it was a success.

"it" being sending a false flag operative to murder a senator and a handful of church-goers, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I'm personally surprised we're getting even this much, to be honest.

Yeah I honestly thought we'd just get a SC law that lets them lower the confederate flag whenever the state flag is lowered. I didn't expect no flag was a workable option.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It will likely not surprise you one bit to hear that this is one of many stupid and deluded ideas freep has come up with to avoid admitting that a white Neo-Confederate murdered black people because he hates them.
I don't even need to read the Freep thread to know they'd come up with that

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You know the threat of riots like those that took place in baltimore and ferguson coming down to S.C. probably helped to get this whole ball rolling.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel that discussions of the form "is Hillary leftist enough for my taste" are best pursued (politely) in the Primaries thread, rather than taking up page-space in this thread, which is more about broader political issues in the US. What do y'all think?

God yes.

Let's at least contain the 'True Scotsman' circle jerk to one thread.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

I don't even need to read the Freep thread to know they'd come up with that

You're likely better off for it. We've staring too long into the abyss in that thread.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I honestly thought we'd just get a SC law that lets them lower the confederate flag whenever the state flag is lowered. I didn't expect no flag was a workable option.

Neither did I. I'm frankly a little surprised so few of the usual suspects have crawled out of the woodwork to try to keep it flying.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Impermanent posted:

You know the threat of riots like those that took place in baltimore down in S.C. probably helped to get this whole ball rolling.
All the poo poo that's happened over the last year kind of primed the pump for this yeah

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Impermanent posted:

You know the threat of riots like those that took place in baltimore and ferguson coming down to S.C. probably helped to get this whole ball rolling.

I actually think that had very little to due with it.

The new blood in the Republican party in the south is a much bigger deal. The younger Republicans just don't care about defending the flag anymore.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Which states have adopted the gay pride flag? :allears:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Interesting profile of Kristen Beck, transgender former SEAL who is challenging Steny Hoyer in the Maryland Democratic primary

Reading her issues page on her website I can't say I'd support her, seems to have a lot of praise for the Ryan budget, wants to generate a surplus through department budget cuts, proposal of a national sales tax needs way more fleshing out, same with the gross receipts tax. Also, lot of typos in the tax plan (descent used in ace of decent for example). Her proposed changes to the ACA is to include a lot of things already in the ACA, which is either a novel attempt at rebranding or a disturbing lack of understanding. The few new points are mainly republican doctrine like sales across state lines, HCRSAs, tort reform, and a bizarre proposal to force insurance companies to reinstate the policies that have been cancelled since the ACA was passed.

Also really on the voter ID crap, so yeah, not really sure why she is a democrat other than the GOP would reject her.

Oh lol, she wants to get rid of "standing" as a legal concept. Ok, yeah.

Do appreciate the section titled "Poop and Other Stuff" though

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

McDowell posted:

Which states have adopted the gay pride flag? :allears:
The gay pride flag is a fixture on public ground in a number of locations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

I actually think that had very little to due with it.

The new blood in the Republican party in the south is a much bigger deal. The younger Republicans just don't care about defending the flag anymore.

I can think of at least one 21-year-old who really loved that flag and a few others.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Luigi Thirty posted:

On one hand yeah, on the other hand we might actually stop STATE GOVERNMENTS rubbing the flag of the slave-driving traitor side of the biggest cataclysm in the country's history in everyone's faces.

Let's recap what the flag represents from the horse's mouth:

Mississippi Declaration of Secession posted:

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union

In the momentous step, which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product, which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.

The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France.
The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact, which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.
It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.
It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better.

It has invaded a State, and invested with the honors of martyrdom the wretch whose purpose was to apply flames to our dwellings, and the weapons of destruction to our lives.

It has broken every compact into which it has entered for our security.

It has given indubitable evidence of its design to ruin our agriculture, to prostrate our industrial pursuits and to destroy our social system.
It knows no relenting or hesitation in its purposes; it stops not in its march of aggression, and leaves us no room to hope for cessation or for pause.

It has recently obtained control of the Government, by the prosecution of its unhallowed schemes, and destroyed the last expectation of living together in friendship and brotherhood.

Utter subjugation awaits us in the Union, if we should consent longer to remain in it. It is not a matter of choice, but of necessity. We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property. For far less cause than this, our fathers separated from the Crown of England.

Our decision is made. We follow their footsteps. We embrace the alternative of separation; and for the reasons here stated, we resolve to maintain our rights with the full consciousness of the justice of our course, and the undoubting belief of our ability to maintain it.

:ms:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

The government pasting symbols of racial superiority all over the place is part of structural racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

quote:

BREAKING NEWS: Gov. Pat McCrory plans to ask for a change in state law that would allow the Division of Motor Vehicles to stop issuing North Carolina specialty license plates with the Confederate flag on them.

edit:

quote:

I guess the race baitors couldn't get the people of Charleston to riot and destroy and encourage a race war so they're going to use the flag as their way to stir things up. This needs to stop.We need to stop these few people from causing division among us .We should all be proud Americans who respect each other.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 23, 2015

• Locked thread