Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SalTheBard posted:

I feel the same way

I will be sad when they get rid of Law and hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I feel the same way

It's nice when writers can ignore continuity and be creative as they like.

Has there been a company wide crossover that's been as well received as SW?

Or is that just the BSS bubble are legions of fans on other boards firing torches and hoisting pitchforks :ohdear:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

zoux posted:

It's nice when writers can ignore continuity and be creative as they like.

Or is that just the BSS bubble are legions of fans on other boards firing torches and hoisting pitchforks :ohdear:

Original Sin was incredibly well received. Up until people started complaining about how Fury shouldn't have been so badass in the last few issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

people started complaining about how Fury shouldn't have been so badass in the last few issues.

This statement confuses me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sentinel Red posted:

I saved all last week's releases for a long train journey and oh man, Elsa Bloodstone vs the Marvel Zombies is everything I want and need right now. Can we just keep Battleworld for a few years longer? It's just so much more fun.

Oh I forgot to mention that one earlier. It ended up being one of my favorite tie-ins of all. Elsa Bloodstone is awesome is and that book was great.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Ghostlight posted:

616 Thanos is in the main Secret Wars title.

redbackground posted:

Uh, he's been one of the main supporting characters throughout Hickman's entire run. He's made an appearance in each issue of Secret Wars, too, iirc. :confused:

True. But there's also a Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet SW comic, which is the Thanos I was referring to.

edit: I don't think I made that very clear. What I had meant was that we haven't seen doubles of cosmic characters around Battle World, like Surfer. I'm aware 616 Thanos is a survivor of the Incursion.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 23, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

This statement confuses me.

He made every hero essentially redundant through a broad application of flobotnum and maguffains like he was a fanfiction selfinsert character.

He was totally protecting earth with a space gun guys, the Avengers and Xmen couldn't have beaten this super scary bullet vulnerable army. Frankly Arron took a poo poo all over Fury as this master tactician and schemer by just giving him god killing doodads instead of poo poo like him manipulating Kree and Skrulls into a war to keep them out of earth's business.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 23, 2015

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Ramadu posted:

We all know he will get the fame but it is Squirrel Girl who will be really saving the universe.

Doubtful. Action is his reward.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This crossover really holds up, I go back and read it once or twice a year.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This crossover really holds up, I go back and read it once or twice a year.

What is that?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Happy Hippo posted:

What is that?

DC One Million. It's really, really good. All Star Superman is a stealth prequel.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
So now that we are almost 2 months into this thing, as there been any idea on which secondary titles will be important to the main story?

I have been picking up a smattering of different titles every week, and it seems like these are the ones that will have more of an effect on the main Secret Wars issues:

Ultimate End - pretty obvious since it is the two main universes thrown together
Old Man Logan - Seems to have larger implications based on where they are going
Guardians of Knowhere - despite it still being a month away, it is a Bendis title and features the Guardians heavily
Infinity Gauntlet - I haven't read it yet, but it looks like it pretty clearly DOES NOT involve Thanos from the Cabal and the infinity gems
A-Force - The first issue seemed to have some implications for crossing borders and involving other territories
Thors - Battleword mystery that crosses over territories
Inhumans: Attilan Rising - Another mystery that crosses into several territories

Any other series I should include (or take off the list)? Like I said, I am just trying to compile a list of titles that will be important to the main storyline (or look like they are headed that way).

Havoc904 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 23, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Havoc904 posted:

So now that we are almost 2 months into this thing, as there been any idea on which secondary titles will be important to the main story?

I have been picking up a smattering of different titles every week, and it seems like these are the ones that will have more of an effect on the main Secret Wars issues:

Ultimate End - pretty obvious since it is the two main universes thrown together
Guardians of Knowhere - despite it still being a month away, it is a Bendis title and features the Guardians heavily
Infinity Gauntlet - I haven't read it yet, but it looks like it pretty clearly involves Thanos from the Cabal and the infinity gems
A-Force - The first issue seemed to have some implications for crossing borders and involving other territories
Inhumans: Attilan Rising - Another mystery that crosses into several territories

Any other series I should include (or take off the list)? Like I said, I am just trying to compile a list of titles that will be important to the main storyline (or look like they are headed that way).

I think Secret Wars by itself will have everything you need if all you care about is following the plot, if I'm not mistaken no one from either raft has appeared in any tie-in, and I think most of the story is going to be the interaction between the rafts, Strange and Doom. Buy the tie-ins that seem most interesting to you on their own merits, very few of them have gotten bad reviews so far.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

Infinity Gauntlet - I haven't read it yet, but it looks like it pretty clearly involves Thanos from the Cabal and the infinity gems

Ultimate End - important since its the end of the Ultimate Universe
Old Man Logan - joining Marvel Universe so yeah it is important
Guardians of Knowwhere Bendis and not sure if he is off Guardians
Infinity Gauntlet - Thanos is part of the life raft so this is most likely an oddity.
A force - already announced that its continuing past the event
Thors - Aaron and Jane Foster Thor is on the boat
Inhumans - will be an important part and writer is continuing on title after the event.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
None of them will be important. Secret Wars will have everything you need.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

Is it the actual 616 Thanos, or just a Battle World double? I feel like if it was THE Thanos, then it would've been made more obvious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

Is it the actual 616 Thanos, or just a Battle World double? I feel like if it was THE Thanos, then it would've been made more obvious.

You mean the Thanos that they have already shown in the main series in the raft?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Havoc904 posted:

No it doesn't. At all.

616 Thanos is hanging with the Cabal and is about to make some friends with a bunch of Thors. He's not out having adventures with a nomad family and a bunch of bugs.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I think Secret Wars by itself will have everything you need if all you care about is following the plot, if I'm not mistaken no one from either raft has appeared in any tie-in, and I think most of the story is going to be the interaction between the rafts, Strange and Doom. Buy the tie-ins that seem most interesting to you on their own merits, very few of them have gotten bad reviews so far.

Yeah, I am definitely going to continue buying the tie ins I enjoy regardless of impact. I just figured having a small list of secondary books for people that come onto the event mid way through and wanted to read somewhat relevant stuff would be helpful. I can't remember the last time Marvel did an event without at least a few secondary titles that provided detail on stuff in the main title. But so far, like you said, it seems like being able to just read the main Secret Wars will be enough for some people.

El Tortuga posted:

I also wasn't sure of this myself, but it seems I was wrong. I was just going under the assumption that everyone on the Cabal life raft (that Doom and Strange knew about, IE not Ultimate Reed or Miles) did not have a double in Battleworld. But that was an assumption completely made up on my own, so I am probably pretty off base. I haven't read the Inhumans yet, so if Maximus is in that as well, then obviously I am completely wrong. This is wrong, there are multiples of individuals on the Cabal life raft

redbackground posted:

No it doesn't. At all.

616 Thanos is hanging with the Cabal and is about to make some friends with a bunch of Thors. He's not out having adventures with a nomad family and a bunch of bugs.

I updated my original post to mention it is a different Thanos. Like I said, I had only read the synopsis online and it was one of the series I haven't been picking up.

Havoc904 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 23, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

Yeah, I am definitely going to continue buying the tie ins I enjoy regardless of impact. I just figured having a small list of secondary books for people that come onto the event mid way through and wanted to read somewhat relevant stuff would be helpful. I can't remember the last time Marvel did an event without at least a few secondary titles that provided detail on stuff in the main title. But so far, like you said, it seems like being able to just read the main Secret Wars will be enough for some people.

I also wasn't sure of this myself, but it seems I was wrong. I was just going under the assumption that everyone on the Cabal life raft (that Doom and Strange knew about, IE not Ultimate Reed or Miles) did not have a double in Battleworld. But that was an assumption completely made up on my own, so I am probably pretty off base. I haven't read the Inhumans yet, so if Maximus is in that as well, then obviously I am completely wrong.

The whole plot of Thors is the murder of Jane Fosters. We have also seen another Miles, Spider-man, Cyclops and others.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The whole plot of Thors is the murder of Jane Fosters. We have also seen another Miles, Spider-man, Cyclops and others.

Yeah, like I mentioned, I assumed (for no real reason) that the Cabal life raft didn't have multiples, not that the other didn't as well. It was a wrong assumption, so I can edit my previous post if it is just going to muck up a page with people correctly saying I am wrong.

I guess I just liked the idea of a Doom/Strange alliance deciding that they had no room for the Cabal people on Battleworld.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Havoc904 posted:

I guess I just liked the idea of a Doom/Strange alliance deciding that they had no room for the Cabal people on Battleworld.

Which would make sense, but they have guys like Apocalypse and Sinister, plus the Ultrons, zombies, Annihilus wave, etc which you would think would be detrimental to running the place.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Havoc904 posted:

The only thing I can guarantee you there is nothing of in Battleword is Richards.

No more Richards.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean the Thanos that they have already shown in the main series in the raft?

I know it's already been cleared up, but I mean the Thanos that was in the Infinity Gauntlet comic, which seems to be a Battle World double, not the 616 Thanos from the Cabal that was on the Raft. Thanos seems like a bit of a risk to have a bunch of doubles of running around the place.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only thing I can guarantee you there is nothing of in Battleword is Richards.

No more Richards.

:doom: RICHA-oh.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

site posted:

Which would make sense, but they have guys like Apocalypse and Sinister, plus the Ultrons, zombies, Annihilus wave, etc which you would think would be detrimental to running the place.

Yeah, I guess when your kids have a pet Galactus, having a couple of Thanos running around isn't that big of a problem.

Much like there being no Reeds, I hope there aren't any Namors running around since Doom still feels snubbed about being his second choice after the Cabal blew up in his face.

I really hope we get an ongoing series after this event that fills in everything about Doom and Strange building Battleworld to where it is. They mentioned something like 8 years having passed since Strange initially found the raft with Reed, Starlord & the others, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

Yeah, I guess when your kids have a pet Galactus, having a couple of Thanos running around isn't that big of a problem.

Much like there being no Reeds, I hope there aren't any Namors running around since Doom still feels snubbed about being his second choice after the Cabal blew up in his face.

I really hope we get an ongoing series after this event that fills in everything about Doom and Strange building Battleworld to where it is. They mentioned something like 8 years having passed since Strange initially found the raft with Reed, Starlord & the others, right?
You're half right (and you don't need to spoil that). Battleworld has been around 8 years, though he only found the Raft I think 2 years prior.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Doom is gonna smoke Ultimate Reed, and it is going to be SO satisfying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

^burtle posted:

For some reason I took that super literally when I first glanced at it and thought you were saying Doom will use him as a blunt.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

WickedHate posted:

For some reason I took that super literally when I first glanced at it and thought you were saying Doom will use him as a blunt.

God Doom smoked all bowls but one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

I hope UltReed sticks around...somehow after Whatever Happens, he's a good character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is kind of lame and I haven't read a story where they did anything interesting with him.

Its probably because making an evil version of a character who is already kind of a prick is a little pointless.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 23, 2015

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wish we got more of Ultimate Reed in Hickman's Avengers run, going from him meeting the Cabal to just being part of the team was a bit sudden. We needed a Bendis style breakfast table scene to show him interacting with them a bit more.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WickedHate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLw2lyLnA8

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This week's titles:

AGE OF ULTRON VS MARVEL ZOMBIES #1 SWA $3.99
E IS FOR EXTINCTION #1 SWA $4.99
INFINITY GAUNTLET #2 SWA $3.99
KORVAC SAGA #1 SWA $3.99
MODOK ASSASSIN #2 SWA $3.99
PLANET HULK #2 SWA $3.99
WHERE MONSTERS DWELL #2 SWA $3.99
X-MEN 92 #1 SWA $4.99

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is E for Extinction really $4.99? That's a bit off putting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It looks so loving hideous I must have it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

It looks so loving hideous I must have it.

The art looks like a really badly shaded Quitely rip-off. Still getting it though.

Dear god the eyes on the Cuckoos

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The cover art isn't the same as the interior art.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/e-is-for-extinction-1-marvel-comics-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
In the same way that DC's Convergence was bad, this Secret Wars event is turning out to be really good. I picked up a bunch of the crossover books and haven't read a single one I didn't like. Even the retro X-titles are good. I'm excited to see what the "new" marvel continuity will look like - I thought the Ultimate Marvel line was just about perfect for a while.

Anyway in what comic do we find out how Doom fought against the Beyonders destroying Multiple Men and started the whole thing? I read this on Internet but cannot find the issue where it is explained.

• Locked thread