Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Wheeze posted:

Speaking of misguided attempts to appeal to the kids these days, here's Chevy's latest press release:

Reminds me of Nvidia's attempt to click with the gaming demographic in 2003. (A translation)
Even back then people were aware enough that 1337 was a holdover from old BBS and found the idea pretty silly - but the competition wasn't that unreasonable.

Though it's barely up there with Acclaims's infamous marketing strategies which went from the weird, such as a bus shelter that dripped blood or planning to have branded pigeons to swoop in during a Wimbledon match.
Then to the insane which included paying to name a kid Turok, getting your tombstone endorsed with an ad for Shadowman and offering to pay people's speeding fines to promote Burnout 2.

On another level here was the Starforce PR blunder where to counter the claims that their copy protection was breaking your CD drives they offered to pay you $10,000 if that was the case.
The catch? Transport your computer at your own cost to Russia. Surprisingly no one took up this offer.

But that still doesn't top radio station KDND's "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest which subsequently killed a woman from water intoxication. The contestants were in the studio and had to drink til they couldn't cope. That cost them $16 million in damages.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
McDonald’s Can’t Win Back America’s Love, So It’s Closing Restaurants Instead

quote:

Still, that McDonald’s is downsizing at all is another stark indication of just how far the graying king of fast food has fallen. McDonald’s same-stores sales (those at restaurants open at least 13 months) have declined for 10 of the past 12 months in the U.S., and every month for the past year globally. In the latest month, U.S. sales slipped a worse-than-expected 2.2 percent. McDonald’s will report monthly sales figures once more for June before ending the practice altogether.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WebDog posted:

Reminds me of Nvidia's attempt to click with the gaming demographic in 2003. (A translation)
Even back then people were aware enough that 1337 was a holdover from old BBS and found the idea pretty silly - but the competition wasn't that unreasonable.

Though it's barely up there with Acclaims's infamous marketing strategies which went from the weird, such as a bus shelter that dripped blood or planning to have branded pigeons to swoop in during a Wimbledon match.
Then to the insane which included paying to name a kid Turok, getting your tombstone endorsed with an ad for Shadowman and offering to pay people's speeding fines to promote Burnout 2.

On another level here was the Starforce PR blunder where to counter the claims that their copy protection was breaking your CD drives they offered to pay you $10,000 if that was the case.
The catch? Transport your computer at your own cost to Russia. Surprisingly no one took up this offer.

But that still doesn't top radio station KDND's "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest which subsequently killed a woman from water intoxication. The contestants were in the studio and had to drink til they couldn't cope. That cost them $16 million in damages.

This doesn't top any of these blunders but there was that time EA sent game journalists a bunch of gross meat full of metal bits and promo material for Bulletstorm.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-meat-murder-edition/2300-2604/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its always EA, isn't it?

This one is my personal favorite worst ever gaming ad... thing?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/09/eafail-the-story-of-the-worst-pr-campaign-in-gaming/

I cannot fathom what would posses some executive or ad man to come up with a campaign where sweaty nerds would force "acts of lust" on paid booth babes in a contest to one-up each other and win video game prizes. :stonk:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Eh McD will be fine. Obesity is still rising.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Why God, why?!?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wheeze posted:

Hey, at least this is comprehensible and contains actual words and sentences.

I could honestly see a retelling of Romeo and Juliet done entirely by text messages as a silly little art project thing. Not as a serious attempt to appeal to anyone, more just as an experiment with the text and the medium.

Romeo and Juliet were lovely and infuriating teenagers, too, so it's not as far from the source material as it could be.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
You're just making me imagine a 'modernized shakespeare' sketch where the actors are sitting there in full costume texting and angrily glaring at eachother while a robotic text to speech voice badly reads the texts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bucketmouse posted:

You're just making me imagine a 'modernized shakespeare' sketch where the actors are sitting there in full costume texting and angrily glaring at eachother while a robotic text to speech voice badly reads the texts.

I'm pretty sure that would actually be incredible and needs to happen.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

thewireguy posted:

Why God, why?!?

This is no different than Shakespeare in his day, his plays were popular not because they were proper but because they were vulgar and common.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Hasters posted:

This is no different than Shakespeare in his day, his plays were popular not because they were proper but because they were vulgar and common.

Yeah, I bet you hated the Baz Luhrmann version too :colbert:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's sort of the opposite of that thing where that guy translated "The Big Labowski" into Shakespeare style ye ole English.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PaganGoatPants posted:

Eh McD will be fine. Obesity is still rising.

That's just it though, according to how capitalism is supposed to work the aren't fine, which is why everyone is making a big deal about it.
Not growing is bad, actually getting smaller is awful bad.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think you're supposed to translate it and send the answer to that email address. See how there's a little person raising their hand like they're answering a question and then the little email thing, maybe that means "Answer email" or something?

She's yapping something about "emoji bootcamp" on her twitter, complete with a Norm Macdonald video I didn't watch: https://twitter.com/annalisabluhm/status/613022184919830528

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its always EA, isn't it?

This one is my personal favorite worst ever gaming ad... thing?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/09/eafail-the-story-of-the-worst-pr-campaign-in-gaming/

I cannot fathom what would posses some executive or ad man to come up with a campaign where sweaty nerds would force "acts of lust" on paid booth babes in a contest to one-up each other and win video game prizes. :stonk:

There's some irony that a gay guy won, posing with a male model (or perhaps they chose him on purpose to prove something)

Though, I gotta love how even in the illustrations the 'booth babes' seem repulsed by the winner.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Zaphod42 posted:

Its always EA, isn't it?
Sony got into some hot water at a press release night for Gods of War II where a dead goat was present, professionally butchered, as a prop and then a photo was included in press kits sent out after to showcase the event. What could possibly go wrong?

It blew up as the British press (who didn't attend) simply took the images and copy "endless barbaric killing" at face value and wrote increasingly morbid tales of how the guests were offered ""still warm intestines uncoiled from the carcass of a freshly slaughtered goat".

Sony wrote back saying at no point was anyone allowed to touch the dead beast, and the only thing eaten was traditional Greek soup.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

WebDog posted:

Sony got into some hot water at a press release night for Gods of War II where a dead goat was present, professionally butchered, as a prop and then a photo was included in press kits sent out after to showcase the event. What could possibly go wrong?

It blew up as the British press (who didn't attend) simply took the images and copy "endless barbaric killing" at face value and wrote increasingly morbid tales of how the guests were offered ""still warm intestines uncoiled from the carcass of a freshly slaughtered goat".

Sony wrote back saying at no point was anyone allowed to touch the dead beast, and the only thing eaten was traditional Greek soup.

"Thank you for attending the RAZOR CES afterparty."

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Hasters posted:

I am curious if that filter would work on the Canterbury tales.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
There's a Canadian pizza chain called Vern's that used to operate in my hometown, and on Remembrance Day about 12 years ago they changed their storefront sign to read something like:

LEST WE FORGET

THAT VERNS HAS $10 LARGE PIZZAS

I don't remember the exact wording of the promotion but it was similar to that. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

All on Black posted:

There's a Canadian pizza chain called Vern's that used to operate in my hometown, and on Remembrance Day about 12 years ago they changed their storefront sign to read something like:

LEST WE FORGET

THAT VERNS HAS $10 LARGE PIZZAS

I don't remember the exact wording of the promotion but it was similar to that. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw it.

Wow, I thought only the US did classy stuff like that. Apologies if this was covered before, but here's an article on lots of 9/11 advertising:

Marketers Again Mistakenly Think 9/11 Is a Good Brand-Building Moment

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

She's yapping something about "emoji bootcamp" on her twitter, complete with a Norm Macdonald video I didn't watch: https://twitter.com/annalisabluhm/status/613022184919830528

I got through about thirty seconds of that. Even Norm couldn't make that anything short of embarrassing.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

Wow, I thought only the US did classy stuff like that. Apologies if this was covered before, but here's an article on lots of 9/11 advertising:

Marketers Again Mistakenly Think 9/11 Is a Good Brand-Building Moment

Surely it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of scenario with some of these? Maybe not the :burger:MONEY OFF:burger: ones, but I would put money on people being upset that they DIDN'T mention it in some way. A bit like when some newsreader didn't wear a poppy around October/November time

quote:

ITV News London presenter Charlene White has spoken out about the torrent of abuse she has received after refusing to wear a Remembrance Day poppy on the air.

White wrote a blog post on ITV’s website explaining her reasons for not wearing the symbol, saying that while she donates to the Poppy Appeal every year she does not want to give one charity disproportionate exposure.

‘I support and am patron of a number of charities and I am uncomfortable with giving one of those charities more on-screen time than others,’ she wrote.

‘I prefer to be neutral and impartial on-screen so that one of those charities doesn’t feel less favoured than another.’

The presenter, whose father and uncle have served in the RAF and Army, added that she does wear a poppy off-screen, along with a pink ribbon for breast cancer, a red ribbon for World Aids Day and other symbols.

Speaking on the abuse she has received, White added: ‘The messages of ‘go back to where you came from’ have been interesting to read, as have the ‘fat slag’ comments, and the repeated use of the phrase ‘black c**t’.

‘Mostly because it flies in the face of everything that millions of British men and women and those in the Commonwealth have fought for for generations, and continue to fight for: the right to choose, and the right of freedom of speech and expression.’

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Rondette posted:

Surely it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of scenario with some of these? Maybe not the :burger:MONEY OFF:burger: ones, but I would put money on people being upset that they DIDN'T mention it in some way.

I doubt people will be upset if White Castle didn't mention 9/11. And Fleshlight? There's no way that could ever be a good tie-in.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WebDog posted:

This one was especially tragic because more than one person (one of them a medical professional) called the station to tell them how dangerous the contest was and that they should quit before someone ended up in the hospital :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This one was especially tragic because more than one person (one of them a medical professional) called the station to tell them how dangerous the contest was and that they should quit before someone ended up in the hospital :(

I want to say that the DJs laughed about the possibility during the contest too. Everything about it was wrong.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I want to say that the DJs laughed about the possibility during the contest too. Everything about it was wrong.

quote:

The Sacramento Bee released audio clips from the morning show indicating that the disc jockeys were aware of the death of Matthew Carrington by water intoxication.[5] At one point, a caller contacted the station and informed the DJs that the contest could be dangerous and potentially fatal.[6] The DJs responded by saying, "We're aware of that," and joked that the contestants had signed releases and couldn't file a lawsuit. However, according to a contestant, the waivers addressed only publicity issues and made no mention of health or safety concerns. The DJs also joked about Strange's distended belly, joking that she looked three months pregnan

"Haha, just try and loving sue us idiot losers!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pentyne posted:

"Haha, just try and loving sue us idiot losers!"

Unfortunately while the station got sued for over a hundred million, it looks like all the DJs (who were really responsible) just switched jobs to elsewhere in the country and avoided much issue. :smith:

One apparently even changed his name.

You'd think they'd be chased out of the radio business after that stunt, but nope.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
This isn't "marketing" in its purest form, but it is the most baffling thing I have ever seen and I don't know what to make of it.

Last Christmas a relative got me a clothing item from Zara that just didn't fit, so I took it back and returned it for store credit. Since then, the Zara at the nearby mall went through a renovation, and I went back after they reopened to see if there was anything I could use the credit for.

Down the center of the store are a row of mirrored pillars, and on all four sides of every single pillar is a sign that says "Gift card & e-gift card" with a big red slash going through it. I stared at the signs, completely perplexed as to why the store was no longer accepting or selling gift cards, and asked one of the employees if my store credit would still be valid. She looked up at the sign and said, "Oh yeah, that. Thats supposed to let you know that we provide gift cards and e-gift cards at the store. We don't know why they have the red slash through it either and everyone asks about it."

:psyduck: I mean, maybe signage in the U.S. Works different to Europe, but a big red slash seems like a pretty universal "No" symbol.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Unfortunately while the station got sued for over a hundred million, it looks like all the DJs (who were really responsible) just switched jobs to elsewhere in the country and avoided much issue. :smith:

One apparently even changed his name.

You'd think they'd be chased out of the radio business after that stunt, but nope.

Yeah in the Wikipedia article it even says that two of the DJs sued for wrongful termination of their contract. :psyduck:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

dirksteadfast posted:

This isn't "marketing" in its purest form, but it is the most baffling thing I have ever seen and I don't know what to make of it.

Last Christmas a relative got me a clothing item from Zara that just didn't fit, so I took it back and returned it for store credit. Since then, the Zara at the nearby mall went through a renovation, and I went back after they reopened to see if there was anything I could use the credit for.

Down the center of the store are a row of mirrored pillars, and on all four sides of every single pillar is a sign that says "Gift card & e-gift card" with a big red slash going through it. I stared at the signs, completely perplexed as to why the store was no longer accepting or selling gift cards, and asked one of the employees if my store credit would still be valid. She looked up at the sign and said, "Oh yeah, that. Thats supposed to let you know that we provide gift cards and e-gift cards at the store. We don't know why they have the red slash through it either and everyone asks about it."

:psyduck: I mean, maybe signage in the U.S. Works different to Europe, but a big red slash seems like a pretty universal "No" symbol.
I'm a designer, and sometimes people just...tunnel vision a design and stop thinking about the actual implications of their choices. I've had coworkers do it, and I've been guilty of it myself sometimes. The difference is that usually, in a somewhat competent company or agency, someone will be there to step in and go "hey, uh, that kinda looks like a swastika" or "that imagery evokes a penis pointing at the client's head" or whatever. Avoiding groupthink is important!

e: Last Chance, I love your avatar!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Not intentional marketing, but when I worked on the copy desk at a newspaper, we normally didn't see the ads until the paper came off the press. We'd just have a box on the screen labeled with the store name showing where the ad would go. So, the summer of 2008, we decided to run a long AP feature story on the Obama campaign, with plenty of photos, opposite a full-page Local Grocery Store ad. It happened that the grocery store was going with a summer/picnic theme that week - can you guess what products featured prominently in it?

Yeah. Fried chicken and watermelon.*

No one believed we weren't closet racists. :( It's just that no one noticed how it looked until the next morning.

* Non-US goons: these two foods in particular are strongly associated with negative depictions of black people in the U.S. Historical caricatures in particular are full of grossly stereotyped poor black people eating chicken and/or watermelon.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Wheeze posted:

Speaking of misguided attempts to appeal to the kids these days, here's Chevy's latest press release:

The Verge's attempt at a translation. This is what the young people like, right?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Leslie Facen? Leslie Headn?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it's Leslie Mann.

e: wow that's actually an actress that exists, I'm really good at this.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Leslie Facen? Leslie Headn?

Leslie Freddy Mercuryn

Phlegmish posted:

I had to Google the movie cast to see who it was. I suck at emojis. :(

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Who's Cameraeron Diaz?

And wow, I'm surprised that movies now show fisting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

My first guess was Leslie Moustachn but since that sounds ridiculous I guessed Leslie Mann next. :thumbsup:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I just assumed it was Leslie Nielsen. That might improve the movie.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

e: Last Chance, I love your avatar!
Thanks, I got it from some yospos thread. No idea where it came from originally tho :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

So Nvidia had a recent promotion where you could buy one of their graphics cards and receive hotly anticipated title BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (tm) for free. This was meant to show off Nvidia's recent cards and how well they run even graphically intensive new games, and developer Rocksteady got a lot of free advertising out of it.

Except, whoops, turns out Rocksteady outsourced the PC port so now this massive flagship title meant to push graphics card sales sputters on high end cards and is locked into 30fps by default. Now both companies look pretty incompetent for pushing it so hard.