Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My favorite comedy writer happened to do an article on Silver Age Superman protecting his identity recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

That was a great read, thanks.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It could be like that SNL skit The Rock did several years ago, where Superman actually does a terrible job of hiding his secret identity, and everyone at the Daily Planet jokes about it around him just to laugh at his denials.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sarcasm is a super power?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

It could be like that SNL skit The Rock did several years ago, where Superman actually does a terrible job of hiding his secret identity, and everyone at the Daily Planet jokes about it around him just to laugh at his denials.

That skit lived or died on Rock's performance and he nailed it. If they don't put him in a superhero movie someday we're gonna lose a hell of an opportunity with that charming SOB.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's Black Adam. It ain't Namor like it should be, but Black Adam's a fine consolation prize.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

McSpanky posted:

That skit lived or died on Rock's performance and he nailed it. If they don't put him in a superhero movie someday we're gonna lose a hell of an opportunity with that charming SOB.

Ironically, he's set to star in the Big Trouble in Little China remake, which does a pretty good job of tearing down Jack Burton as the stereotypical 80's action star. I don't know that the Rock's particular brand of humor will work for it as well as Kurt Russell, but there it is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

My preferred take is that everyone around him knows but lives in a constant state of terror and paranoia, but I like that one almost as much.

Not terror and paranoia, but I'm positive that All-Star Superman has just about the entire Daily Planet staff guessing the secret on their own. And they realize how much Superman needs to be Clark Kent so they just don't say anything.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

All of The Rock's SNL skits are great. How could anyone forget Nicotrel?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Random Stranger posted:

Not terror and paranoia, but I'm positive that All-Star Superman has just about the entire Daily Planet staff guessing the secret on their own. And they realize how much Superman needs to be Clark Kent so they just don't say anything.

In All-Star Superman, Clark tells Lois himself and she straight up doesn't believe him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Travis343 posted:

In All-Star Superman, Clark tells Lois himself and she straight up doesn't believe him.

To be fair, All-Star Superman also has the part in it where he brings Lois to the Fortress of Solitude, and something he's doing causes her to hallucinate that the reason he brought her there was to make her the sole breeder for a new race of Kryptonians, which is pretty hosed up for something that's effectively a PG-13.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sometimes I forget that Lois Lane and Superman are both crazy people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah but the terror and paranoia comes from not knowing if Superman's listening or how far away he can hear, or if he's watching what you write through x-ray vision, so it's not like you can just chat it out in the break room. Employee orientation periods at the Planet must be a logistical nightmare.

Travis343 posted:

Yes but All-Star Lois was also kind-of a narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

Was that the one from like 10 years ago where they lie about a drug lord hideout and Clark covers up his absence with "I need to go... to sleep."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

Yes but All-Star Lois was also kind-of a narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

Probably the most accurate silver age tribute in that book.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sitchelin posted:

All of The Rock's SNL skits are great. How could anyone forget Nicotrel?

Holy poo poo he was tiny.

Holy poo poo I consider that as being tiny.

Wow.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

PJOmega posted:

Holy poo poo he was tiny.

Holy poo poo I consider that as being tiny.

Wow.

He was both smaller and had a higher body fat percentage, all while still being a terrifyingly huge dude. The Rock is not human.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, of course not. He's The Rock.

He might have been born Dwayne Johnson, took the stage name Rocky Maivia, but in the end he is, now and forever, The Rock. And the Rock is pretty fine with that.

...Thinking that and typing it makes it sound almost like a superhero comic in itself. Didn't he get a comic at one point, briefly?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 24, 2015

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Keromaru5 posted:

http://www.trilulilu.ro/video-divertisment/the-rock-is-superman

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Keromaru5 posted:

"several years" = 15 years.

Dear Lord...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

He was both smaller and had a higher body fat percentage, all while still being a terrifyingly huge dude. The Rock is not human.
It's much easier to eat right and work specific routines when you're not on the road 5 days out of 7.

Also, he's not drug tested anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's much easier to eat right and work specific routines when you're not on the road 5 days out of 7.

Also, he's not drug tested anymore.

Aw, you think he was drug-tested when he was wrestling. That's adorable.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe they tested him to make sure he was on drugs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Heh. True. I suppose the breast reduction surgery was a good tipoff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

Maybe they tested him to make sure he was on drugs.

Nope. Until about 10 years ago, the only thing other than a toilet WWE wrestlers pissed into, was another wrestler's mouth after a bender.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. Until about 10 years ago, the only thing other than a toilet WWE wrestlers pissed into, was another wrestler's mouth after a bender.

No no, they would occasionally piss and poop into each other's bags.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Heh. True. I suppose the breast reduction surgery was a good tipoff.

I thought that was also due to him being Samoan

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

I like the one where Luthor pours millions of dollars into a computer programme that will reveal Superman's identity, then when it reveals that he's Clark Kent, he flies into a rage, cancels the project and sacks the scientist who designed the software, because obviously nobody as powerful as Superman would choose to be a mild-mannered newspaper reporter.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the one where Luthor pours millions of dollars into a computer programme that will reveal Superman's identity, then when it reveals that he's Clark Kent, he flies into a rage, cancels the project and sacks the scientist who designed the software, because obviously nobody as powerful as Superman would choose to be a mild-mannered newspaper reporter.

I always got the in universe logic for having a secret identity, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you dissect it, especially in the Silver age. What're they gonna do, hound him with the press? Put the woman or kid that's already always in loving peril in MORE peril? If someone held Lois hostage Superman could've just made some kinda dumbassed robot to distract them while he shrunk down to the size of an atom and flew into their brain to take direct control of them, and if it was Jimmy well he'd just shrug his shoulders and fart in Jimmy's face so the captor would be like 'OH THIS GUY ISN'T IMPORTANT TO SUPERMAN AT ALL, WHAT GOOD IS HE TO ME I'LL LET HIM GO.'

The Silver age was insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I always got the in universe logic for having a secret identity, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you dissect it, especially in the Silver age. What're they gonna do, hound him with the press? Put the woman or kid that's already always in loving peril in MORE peril? If someone held Lois hostage Superman could've just made some kinda dumbassed robot to distract them while he shrunk down to the size of an atom and flew into their brain to take direct control of them, and if it was Jimmy well he'd just shrug his shoulders and fart in Jimmy's face so the captor would be like 'OH THIS GUY ISN'T IMPORTANT TO SUPERMAN AT ALL, WHAT GOOD IS HE TO ME I'LL LET HIM GO.'

Well, his Ma and Pa for one are mild mannered folks. One of the first things Conduit did for example was go after them. Lois and Jimmy are in danger pretty often but Superman has people close to him who are not.

It also provides a way for him to actually, y'know, exist outside of being Superman. The same story I mentioned above had a scene where Lois forces him to go and get coffee as Superman and it's a genuinely uncomfortable situation where everyone is gawking at him, nobody can really talk directly to him and everyone is afraid there is about to be a super-disaster.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

E is for Extinction #1

Much much later after a human hate group's attack has been thwarted:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That is impressively ugly.

Also, I thought Beak was just a regular ol' sapien now.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ImpAtom posted:

The same story I mentioned above

I'm not seeing you mention a story in this thread. :raise: And I'd love to see the 'Superman buys coffee' panels, but no one seems to have access to them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phylodox posted:

That is impressively ugly.

Also, I thought Beak was just a regular ol' sapien now.
Continuity is dead. Long live the new continuity.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

E is for Extinction #1

Much much later after a human hate group's attack has been thwarted:

When you say "much, much later", do you mean as in Cyclops is in his 60's now? 'Cause that's what it looks like here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Got some middle-age spread too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

When you say "much, much later", do you mean as in Cyclops is in his 60's now? 'Cause that's what it looks like here.

He's supposed to look old and flubby. It's about the new X-men replacing the old

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He's supposed to look old and flubby. It's about the new X-men replacing the old

*classic

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

zoux posted:

*classic

Oh, so it's like New Coke? Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I love that art. Is the book worth picking up? I heard it was picking up on some of the pre-Decimation status quo from Morrison's run.