Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You mentioned Injustice? You should get the Injustice comic. It's unironically the best Harley has been written in years.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The child killing was from Matt Kindt's villains month one shot.
The current series is fun and silly. Nothing like that comic or Suicide Squad

It is also bad. I mean if you like really poorly written Deadpool then by all means buy it but please don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

You mentioned Injustice? You should get the Injustice comic. It's unironically the best Harley has been written in years.

It is also bad. I mean if you like really poorly written Deadpool then by all means buy it but please don't.

There's got to be a little irony in the best Harley comic being the book where Superman is the villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's some Harley Quinn stuff that's fun and silly, and not killing lots of kids with exploding gameboys? Something for someone who likes Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Girlfriend's seen some stuff she liked (I think from Injustice?) and it piqued her interest in the character.

God, don't even bother. The comics have almost never gotten the character right. There's a few stories in Batman/Gotham Adventures, and there's that one recent short story where she and Ivy help a kidnap victim, but for the most part the character is criminally mishandled. Way too much violence, sadism, and creepy sex stuff.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I've heard Gotham Sirens is good and has lots of Harley, but I do not have first hand knowledge and the lack of recommendations of Sirens makes me concerned it is not in fact good :ohdear:.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

God, don't even bother. The comics have almost never gotten the character right. There's a few stories in Batman/Gotham Adventures, and there's that one recent short story where she and Ivy help a kidnap victim, but for the most part the character is criminally mishandled. Way too much violence, sadism, and creepy sex stuff.

Yeah, the OP is probably best off looking up the voice actress in B:TAS and then just watching episodes she's credited in.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I'd say judge for yourself on the new Harley. It's pretty well liked outside of here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I've heard Gotham Sirens is good and has lots of Harley, but I do not have first hand knowledge and the lack of recommendations of Sirens makes me concerned it is not in fact good :ohdear:.

The art is super male-gaze-y, but well done within that. The writing is basically what you'd expect for Paul Dini (though as I recall, he left towards the end of the run and the pre-Flashpoint arc is pretty good). The most interesting stuff it does prior to the ending is actually with Ivy. She gets a secret identity and a day job working for a pharmaceutical company at one point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the 06-09 Moon Knight run worth reading? What about the Bendis/Maleev one?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Is the 06-09 Moon Knight run worth reading?

Yes. It's awesome.

quote:

What about the Bendis/Maleev one?

Noooo.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

zoux posted:

Is the 06-09 Moon Knight run worth reading? What about the Bendis/Maleev one?

The bendis one has a pretty hardcore girlfriend gets fridged moment, also it has that classic Bendis decompression that gives me a headache thinking about. It has some interesting ideas though.

the 06-09 one starts really grr grimdark (or at least I thought so) but gets a lot better, I'm also not a huge fan of the art in this one, but it is still pretty good.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The 06-09 Moon Knight is good while Charlie Huston is writing it but when Mike Benson fully takes over it loses it's way. The arc that takes place in Mexico at the end of the run feels especially rushed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about the Vengeance series that goes in between those two?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Vengeance of the Moon Knight was awful, worse than the 06-09 and the Bendis run but it did start out with some great Opena art.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

What about the Vengeance series that goes in between those two?

I liked it a lot, but it really depends on how much you think 'Batman, but in the MU' is a thing you want to read, because that's pretty much what it is, with a side of Marc trying to resist Khonshu's violent influence (represented by a chibi Khonshu on his shoulder).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

trashbuilder posted:

The bendis one has a pretty hardcore girlfriend gets fridged moment, also it has that classic Bendis decompression that gives me a headache thinking about. It has some interesting ideas though.

the 06-09 one starts really grr grimdark (or at least I thought so) but gets a lot better, I'm also not a huge fan of the art in this one, but it is still pretty good.

Was that when Finch was on art? I couldn't get past that. Taskmaster looked like a literal zombie, it took me a while to recognize the costume and his dialogue didn't match the art at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

Was that when Finch was on art? I couldn't get past that. Taskmaster looked like a literal zombie, it took me a while to recognize the costume and his dialogue didn't match the art at all.

It's Finch and then a guy who draws exactly like Finch.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Speaking of Moon Knight, what about the current run? I've read the 6 Ellis issues and like them, but it didn't seem like they were setting up anything major for the run.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
So Uncanny X-Men 1 through 25 is on sale on Comixology. Should I purchase the whole run to be caught up with the series, or can I skip certain issues?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's all about the same, except for the Frazer Irving drawn arc (#5-7.) Cause it's Frazer Irving.
Keep in mind, there's a crossover where you can't really just read the UXM issues https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Ba...eWxpbmVTbGlkZXI
and you might want to read Bendis' companion series, All-New X-Men along with it. Their Annuals meet up for an awesome Andrea Sorrentino drawn two-parter.

Maybe use Marvel Unlimited so you don't have to spend $100+ doing that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seriously, the answer to any "Should I buy [insert Marvel title here]?" question should always be "Get Unlimited and read every comic ever*" unless you're super intent on getting high-res comics or can't wait six months to read the latest Squirrel Girl.

*almost

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 26, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Seriously, the answer to any "Should I buy [insert Marvel title here]?" question should always be "Get Unlimited and read every comic ever*" unless you're super intent on getting high-res comics or can't wait six months to read the latest Squirrel Girl.

But I wanna read it nooowww! (seriously is it Wednesday yet?)

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Phylodox posted:

*almost

I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but do people think Comixology's all you can eat service will be just as good or better?

edit: or i could be a super smart brain guy and read the digital comics thread

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 30, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Panama Red posted:

I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but do people think Comixology's all you can eat service will be just as good or better?

edit: or i could be a super smart brain guy and read the digital comics thread

For me, it's gonna depend on which companies are on board, how much of their backlogs are going to be available, and what the price point will be.

If it's :10bux: and I can go back and read every single Aliens vs. Predator comic ever, then hell yeah.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

which series is it with deadpool and that lady cop(shield agent?) stuck in his head?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HogX posted:

which series is it with deadpool and that lady cop(shield agent?) stuck in his head?

Deadpool 2013 Duggan and Posehn

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Deadpool 2013 Duggan and Posehn

Thanks! Also, I picked up marvel unlimited again. Finished the new deadpool, hawkguy, and hawkpool. What else is good on MU?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HogX posted:

What else is good on MU?

About a billion things. Can you narrow down what you're looking for?

How about Rick Remender's great Uncanny X-Force, which had Deadpool on the team?
http://marvel.com/comics/series/997...mit=10&count=10

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

About a billion things. Can you narrow down what you're looking for?

How about Rick Remender's great Uncanny X-Force, which had Deadpool on the team?
http://marvel.com/comics/series/997...mit=10&count=10

Yo this series starts of with deadpool telling a horrible joke. I like it. I figure I'll go from this to the all-new x-men stuff, the series about the school with wolverine as the headmaster, I read a few of those they're great. Thanks for this one though, it's awesome!

edit: What series is the genosha events in? I keep reading comics that mention it, but haven't read it myself.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 6, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HogX posted:

Yo this series starts of with deadpool telling a horrible joke. I like it. I figure I'll go from this to the all-new x-men stuff, the series about the school with wolverine as the headmaster, I read a few of those they're great. Thanks for this one though, it's awesome!

edit: What series is the genosha events in? I keep reading comics that mention it, but haven't read it myself.

New X-men by morrison.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HogX posted:

It blew up at the start of Grant Morrison's New X-Men http://marvel.com/comics/series/228...mit=10&count=10
That series introduces Fantomex who's also in UXF, so you might wanna read it first.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm trying to start right from the beginning of the Marvel canon with Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, and X-Men from the early 60s and...man, it's not easy, is it? They're from a different time with different writing conventions. So stilted and verbose. Also, Professor X was such a dick! "X-Men meeting! Everyone to my study! You have exactly fifteen seconds!!!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I'm trying to start right from the beginning of the Marvel canon with Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, and X-Men from the early 60s and...man, it's not easy, is it? They're from a different time with different writing conventions. So stilted and verbose. Also, Professor X was such a dick! "X-Men meeting! Everyone to my study! You have exactly fifteen seconds!!!"

Fantastic Four is still awesome and worth a read

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At some point we just need to develop a "Here's what you read on MU" list.

Phylodox posted:

I was reading the Korvac Saga and I was surprised at how dickish everyone was to each other. Cap all "You loving suck at leading the Avengers Iron Man, you're a piece of poo poo."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

I was reading the Korvac Saga and I was surprised at how dickish everyone was to each other. Cap all "You loving suck at leading the Avengers Iron Man, you're a piece of poo poo."

My favorite part of Lee/Kirby FF is how they fight with each other constantly, they're just massive cocks to each other all the god damned time.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I just wish the website was better for discovery. Whoever runs the MU system needs to hire an intern to just go through everything and put runs together so the website can say "complete run" or "if you want Character X books click this for everything in order". For example, they recently added a pile of the old Star Wars comics, and I think they added all of the original series, but god drat is it hard to make the website actually indicate that. I think the entire Waid/Weiringo run is ordered if you click on the "editor's picks" thing right now, but there should just be tons of those things, all ordered for new readers. If you want Dr. Strange you can search for Strange Tales and I think get most of the original series, but if you search for Dr. Strange the Strange Tales books don't appear.

Plus the website always seems slow as poo poo.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Zachack posted:

I just wish the website was better for discovery. Whoever runs the MU system needs to hire an intern to just go through everything and put runs together so the website can say "complete run" or "if you want Character X books click this for everything in order". For example, they recently added a pile of the old Star Wars comics, and I think they added all of the original series, but god drat is it hard to make the website actually indicate that. I think the entire Waid/Weiringo run is ordered if you click on the "editor's picks" thing right now, but there should just be tons of those things, all ordered for new readers. If you want Dr. Strange you can search for Strange Tales and I think get most of the original series, but if you search for Dr. Strange the Strange Tales books don't appear.

Plus the website always seems slow as poo poo.

I still think the bean counters are afraid that if they make it more user-friendly, it will cannibalize their own business, as silly as that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing that would go a long way to improving the app would be allowing you to import user made lists.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Got Marvel Unlimited last week and been reading Hickman's run on Fantastic Four plus Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther. The former is really, really good, but not loving the latter despite the hype. The Ross character is more obnoxious than funny and T'Challa comes off as more Shaft than statesman. Hoping the Hudlin run lives up to expectations.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Panama Red posted:

Got Marvel Unlimited last week and been reading Hickman's run on Fantastic Four plus Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther. The former is really, really good, but not loving the latter despite the hype. The Ross character is more obnoxious than funny and T'Challa comes off as more Shaft than statesman. Hoping the Hudlin run lives up to expectations.

Got MU too, could you give me a link to Priest's run on BP? Trying to find stuff on MU is actually kind of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Panama Red posted:

How far are you in BP? I thought it started ok but got progressively better right up until the final arc which I did not like at all.