Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hey thread, as a total newbie to modding I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon reinstalling Skyrim and tweaking it, and am still not quite where I'd like it to be.  I've got a few (hopefully not too dumb) questions (using Mod Organizer):

1) The performance improvement mod ENBoost is something to use instead of an ENB preset, rather than in addition to one, right?

2) If I want to use a few mods that affect loot lists like Morrowloot 4E, Immersive Weapons, Immersive Armor, cloak mods, etc, what I need to do is download Wrye Bash, use that to merge the aforementioned mods into a "Bashed Patch", and then only activate that patch while leaving the .esps for the aforementioned mods unchecked?  Is that correct?

3) ENB's can be changed or removed at any time, since they don't actually write to the save file, right?

4) Mods can be added to saves, but can't be removed?  So if I eventually decide an ENB isn't worth the performance hit, I can turn it off and add some other lighting/graphics mods without having to restart my character?

5) Does the injector version of ENB result in better performance than the wrapper version?  Some people seem to think so but I can't tell if this is an "urban legend" kind of thing or actually true.

Appreciate any tips and feedback, like I said I'm new to this and while I definitely have a better understanding of what I'm doing than I did yesterday morning, skimming through this and similar threads still makes my head spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Hey thread, as a total newbie to modding I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon reinstalling Skyrim and tweaking it, and am still not quite where I'd like it to be.  I've got a few (hopefully not too dumb) questions (using Mod Organizer):

1) The performance improvement mod ENBoost is something to use instead of an ENB preset, rather than in addition to one, right?

2) If I want to use a few mods that affect loot lists like Morrowloot 4E, Immersive Weapons, Immersive Armor, cloak mods, etc, what I need to do is download Wrye Bash, use that to merge the aforementioned mods into a "Bashed Patch", and then only activate that patch while leaving the .esps for the aforementioned mods unchecked?  Is that correct?

3) ENB's can be changed or removed at any time, since they don't actually write to the save file, right?

4) Mods can be added to saves, but can't be removed?  So if I eventually decide an ENB isn't worth the performance hit, I can turn it off and add some other lighting/graphics mods without having to restart my character?

5) Does the injector version of ENB result in better performance than the wrapper version?  Some people seem to think so but I can't tell if this is an "urban legend" kind of thing or actually true.

Appreciate any tips and feedback, like I said I'm new to this and while I definitely have a better understanding of what I'm doing than I did yesterday morning, skimming through this and similar threads still makes my head spin.

1) ENBoost is a component of ENBSeries and has been for a while. Pretty much any ENBSeries preset you download (i.e. ones updated in the last 2 years) will use a version of ENB that has it. Most presets you download will tell you how to setup enblocal.ini (the enboost settings file) up, and by extension ENBoost. It usually entails opening it up and changing a couple of options to do with your video memory. You can use ENBoost without enabling any of the fancy graphics options though, if you like. While it's mainly necessary for the ENB effects due to how ridiculously demanding they are it improves stability on its own and can be used to eke out some extra FPS on weaker machines.

2) if you want to use multiple mods that change levelled lists (which determine what items will appear on enemies and in containers) then you will need to use wrye bash to merge the changes they make to the levelled lists, as each mod will overwrite previous (in the load order) mods; changes to them when you run the game. If you run a load order organizer like LOOT I believe it adds the right bash tags to your plugins, so do that then make a bashed patch and it should import everything. Generally the only mods able to be safely unticked without any other guidance are mods that bash as merged completely into the patch; these are denoted with a plus and you'll be prompted to deactivate them when you create a patch. Others only have some changes that are imported, not all, and should remain active (these are denoted by a dot that appears in the checkbox when unticked.) some of these can be deactivated but it's on a case by case basis.

(n.b. in case you weren't aware every item, npc, creature and levelled list (among other things) is a distinct 'entity' in the game logic. the way this works regarding modding is if you want to edit, say, an NPC's health to be 999999999, when you save this change in the editor the game will save an exact copy of the NPC 'entity' into a plugin file with everything the same except the values you changed. when the game loads it goes down your list of plugins by date and overwrites entities if they are found in a plugin. the term 'load order' is the order in which the game loads your plugins and consequently which changes are overwritten.

the main issue with this system is that a lot of the time youhave more than one mod that edits the same entity. this is most common with levelled lists, with the last mod loaded that edits the entity being the only one that has its changes enacted in the game. what the bashed patch does is pull in the changes from mods that edit the same thing and merge them together so you get a single entity with all the changes, which it then places in a patch at the very end of your load order to ensure it gets enacted)

3) yep. enb just lives in the root folder and injects some code in that enables pretty grafix when you run the game. it's completely seperate from your load order or game logic.

4) the only things that affect your saves are mods that add and alter the gameworld, in the form of plugins/masters (with the file extension .esp and .esm.) it's generally advised that removing lots of plugins from a save that used said plugins can leave behind a bit of digital cruft and redundant scripts that can decrease stability and performance. i wouldn't call it a golden rule or anything though; your save won't refuse to load or anything if you remove a plugin it relied on and small mods probably won't noticeably affect your save. i'd advise against removing some massive gameplay overhaul and trying to play with the same save though

5) no. there's no reason why it would. it is more compatible though so if the wrapper's not working for you (never had any problems) you might get it working with the injector. i've only reeally had to do this with fallout new vegas and a third party launcher though

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Tender Bender posted:

1. No. Make the ENBoost relevant changes to enblocal.ini but set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics to false and UseDefferedRendering to true if you are using an actual ENB Preset

2. Leave the original mods checked. Otherwise there will be no item/container/world records modified and at best you gain no benefit from the mods, at worst your game crashes.

3. Yes.

4. Varies from mod to mod but usually the only ones that can't be added mid-game safely are ones that change up the balance. Lighting mods are fine.

Actually it's not so much mods that can't be removed, it's scripts. Scriptless mods (which visual mods of any kind usually are) are typically completely safe to remove and swap around.

I dunno about 5.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If you're playing around with ENB, you really should look into ENB Manager. It's basically the ENB files version of MO, and works wonderfully, especially for those that require different binary versions.

The way the modding programs are set up between MO and ENBM you shouldn't have to add anything to your steam/Skyrim directory except the 3 files directly associated with the SKSE launcher. Literally everything else can be run outside of the directory through those apps, which means a rollback is that much easier. You can even separate out the post-TESVEdit clean vanilla ESMs into a seperate mod that is loaded first and move the vanilla .esms to someplace safe.

On a side note, I went through pretty much every popular ENB and even played with the settings myself but I just couldn't get to somewhere I felt the game looked noticeably better in all aspects yet wasn't cutting my FPS by far too much. It wasn't unplayable but to go from 90 to 40 in Whiterun to add some saturation was a bit excessive, especially as it seems the color just drowned out details like facial lines.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 22, 2015

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have a $300 tupperware laptop that can just barely run Skyrim, but with mediocre to poor performance. Are there any good, current and stable performance improvement mods? I haven't finished looking, but I can't seem to find anything.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I've decided Interesting NPCs is poo poo after running into Dravos? in the Rift area and constantly having the quests (and dialogue) forced down your throat. It's a shame because they have some genuinely cool characters in it.

I need some interesting follower suggestions that don't talk all the drat time (tried and didn't like INIGO, backstory and voice acting were both 'meh'). I'm using EFF and have FCO so I'll probably just go back to vanilla people as I'm hard to please.

Fake Edit: that don't talk all the time but have some sort of quest back story that kinda slowly unfolds or something, would be ideal.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

There no longer seems to be a main Skyrim thread, so I'm asking here. I did the forsworn quest, got thrown in jail, killed everyone, then broke out. Now Thonar Silver-Blood is trying to kill me, and he won't stay down. Did I do something wrong?

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Ariong posted:

There no longer seems to be a main Skyrim thread, so I'm asking here. I did the forsworn quest, got thrown in jail, killed everyone, then broke out. Now Thonar Silver-Blood is trying to kill me, and he won't stay down. Did I do something wrong?

Did you attack him the instant you exited the prison? If I remember correctly, he should be the one that gives you back all your stuff and should just open a dialogue when you exit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nope, he just takes out his sword and goes for the throat.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Ariong posted:

Hit him with the calm spell? :shrug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Well, let's get some more detail here. How did you go about the quests inside the prison? I know you ended up killing them all, but did you do anything for them first?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I've decided Interesting NPCs is poo poo after running into Dravos? in the Rift area and constantly having the quests (and dialogue) forced down your throat. It's a shame because they have some genuinely cool characters in it.

I need some interesting follower suggestions that don't talk all the drat time (tried and didn't like INIGO, backstory and voice acting were both 'meh'). I'm using EFF and have FCO so I'll probably just go back to vanilla people as I'm hard to please.

Fake Edit: that don't talk all the time but have some sort of quest back story that kinda slowly unfolds or something, would be ideal.

Brhuce Hammar, the only follower you need™.

Or Bob Ross.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

I never knew this existed. gently caress yeah I'm gonna add Bob Ross to my follower swarm.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, I wasn't able to get a framerate I was happy with so I ended up ditching the ENB presets and going with Smol's suggestion on the previous page of using the stock ENB config with original postprocessing on, which gives me some nice stuff like ambient occlusion but no performance hit.  

I didn't get around to messing around with loot lists, that might be a project for tonight, but the tips are appreciated as it looks like I would've mucked it up on my own.

A few more questions:

1) I'm trying out Purity, the weather/outdoor lighting/water/etc mod.  Does anyone have an interior lighting mod they recommend to complement that?  Figured I ask since most of the more popular lighting mods affect both indoors and outdoors, and I picked up Purity after seeing it recommended by a few posters several pages back.

2) What tree/grass/vegetation mods do you guys like?  The "lush trees and grass" mods in the OP seem to be dead, but the Flora Overhaul is still active and seems pretty popular.  Verdant looks pretty good too; but in the preview videos it looks like it adds too much grass EVERYWHERE, not just in forests and stuff; roads and rocky terrain being covered by swaying grass is kinda annoying to me, I wasn't a fan of it when I messed around with Morrowind mods back in the day.  Do you guys like any plant mods that are more restrained?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tender Bender posted:

1) I'm trying out Purity, the weather/outdoor lighting/water/etc mod.  Does anyone have an interior lighting mod they recommend to complement that?  Figured I ask since most of the more popular lighting mods affect both indoors and outdoors, and I picked up Purity after seeing it recommended by a few posters several pages back.

I love ELFX and its Enhancer, dunno if it "compliments" purity, but indoor locations just look much cooler (and dungeons and caves much scarier) with no (or much less) ambient light, which is its main thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dDr3invFJI

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27043/

Edit: Huh, looks like ELFX has a weather module now. I'd kinda like to test it out, but so much of my painstakingly cobbled-together system of patches relies on Climates of Temriel that it's too much of a pain in the rear end right now.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 23, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've recently switched to Relighting Skyrim/Enhanced Lighting for ENB/Natural Lighting and Atmospherics (NLA) combo and its really rad

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I've tried every way I can think of to get these texture replacers to "take" and they just won't -- loose files dropped in by hand, Mod Organizer-handled installation and management, nothing, all the NPC clothes still use the lovely 'nilla textures. The game also seems to want to keep reverting back to the vanilla texture for fur armor despite my Amidianborn overhaul and even dropping in the loose files for just that texture. It's only fur I've noticed, might be more, but it's like I notice that it's bad so I end the game and make sure it looks like it's gonna work and boot it back up and it's fine, but the next time I play it's back to the lousy original texture.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Is there a good Skyrim mod that lets me make hotkeys instead of using the 'Q' screen and tagging abilities as favorites? Would be nice to press 1 to wield my weapon, press 2 to switch to casting my ironskin, press 3 to grab my bow... etc.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kickascii posted:

Is there a good Skyrim mod that lets me make hotkeys instead of using the 'Q' screen and tagging abilities as favorites? Would be nice to press 1 to wield my weapon, press 2 to switch to casting my ironskin, press 3 to grab my bow... etc.

... isn't that literally what the hotkeys already do? Press Q, hover over an item an then press a number key.

Or you could look into SkyUI which allows you to make favorite groups so you can, for example, press F3 to equip your melee weapon, shield and heavy armor, or F4 to equip your casting armor and a couple of spells.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there a simple mod that increases the number of followers without any of the extra clutter and skeevy 'dance for me' commands?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

Is there a simple mod that increases the number of followers without any of the extra clutter and skeevy 'dance for me' commands?

I can't say for sure whether all the major follower mods - Extensible Follower Framework, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, and Amazing Follower Tweaks - are free of creepy poo poo, but I know AFT is. Alternately, there's a bashed patch tweak to just increase follower count.

Man, I wish AFT wasn't abandoned, I really liked it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

I've tried every way I can think of to get these texture replacers to "take" and they just won't -- loose files dropped in by hand, Mod Organizer-handled installation and management, nothing, all the NPC clothes still use the lovely 'nilla textures. The game also seems to want to keep reverting back to the vanilla texture for fur armor despite my Amidianborn overhaul and even dropping in the loose files for just that texture. It's only fur I've noticed, might be more, but it's like I notice that it's bad so I end the game and make sure it looks like it's gonna work and boot it back up and it's fine, but the next time I play it's back to the lousy original texture.

load order? it sounds like something is overriding the textures you want to use

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use EFF and it seems pretty non-creepy to me.

I found this in a :nexus: comment when I was looking for comparisons of the big follower mods; apparently I've been blissfully unaware of what creepy things people make their followers do. :stare:

quote:

AFT has hands down better outfit management then EFF. Being able to configure outfits that change automatically is really cool. for example, when you come home after a long week of killing things, it's really nice to have all of your followers change into lingerie when you walk into your home. Or configure them to dress in fine clothes rather then full suits of armor while walking around town can add another layer of immersion.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Everything Burrito posted:

I use EFF and it seems pretty non-creepy to me.

I found this in a :nexus: comment when I was looking for comparisons of the big follower mods; apparently I've been blissfully unaware of what creepy things people make their followers do. :stare:

Ya know, if they have Hearthfire, there's probably children in that house. They don't need to see Erik the Slayer's naughty bits.

I'm sorry. I can't stop screaming. Help.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I can't say for sure whether all the major follower mods - Extensible Follower Framework, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, and Amazing Follower Tweaks - are free of creepy poo poo, but I know AFT is. Alternately, there's a bashed patch tweak to just increase follower count.

Man, I wish AFT wasn't abandoned, I really liked it.

I still use it. Tried EFF for a bit, and while I really liked telling the group to gather ingredients, overall I preferred the control in combat that AFT gives. It hasn't changed in a while, but it still works. It's a bit of a pain with Mod Organizer, ASIS and Wrye Bash because it really does want to be last, and I keep having to move it last in the load order, but it's worth it.

I like: mass relax, tweak spells to make a healer/buffer, no helmets outside combat, follower keeps distance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gorgar posted:

I still use it. Tried EFF for a bit, and while I really liked telling the group to gather ingredients, overall I preferred the control in combat that AFT gives. It hasn't changed in a while, but it still works. It's a bit of a pain with Mod Organizer, ASIS and Wrye Bash because it really does want to be last, and I keep having to move it last in the load order, but it's worth it.

I like: mass relax, tweak spells to make a healer/buffer, no helmets outside combat, follower keeps distance.

Those last few features are the big draw for me. The only issue I have with AFT is that because it's not getting updated, it's not easily compatible with other things. Right off the top of my head, Immersive Horses and Familiar Faces don't play well with it, but work with EFF. If EFF every got those features I'd feel better about switching.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
AFT is the one I tried. Too many extra menus added that seem to exist only so you can strip Lydia naked and make her drop to her knees.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

I use Simple multiple followers. Everything it adds beyond allowing for more followers can be easily disabled.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mr.Grit posted:

Hit him with the calm spell? :shrug:

Spawning in a calm staff works for him, but all the guards are still hostile.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Well, let's get some more detail here. How did you go about the quests inside the prison? I know you ended up killing them all, but did you do anything for them first?

Nope, just punched them all to death, got the not about the tunnel, and left.

EDIT: calmed thonar, sneaked away, waited an hour, everything's fine now. thenk.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 24, 2015

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Nope, just punched them all to death, got the not about the tunnel, and left.

EDIT: calmed thonar, sneaked away, waited an hour, everything's fine now. thenk.

This COULD have been it. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be able to do that, but I've heard of the quest breaking when it's done this way. I had a better time getting it to work right when I followed the quest until after it had me kill someone and THEN kill everyone. Dunno why.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What dragon mod (or mods) should I get that makes dragons into rare, difficult, but highly rewarding (like they can drop super special enchanted gear and other things in addition to their regular drops)?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Midnight Voyager posted:

This COULD have been it. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be able to do that, but I've heard of the quest breaking when it's done this way. I had a better time getting it to work right when I followed the quest until after it had me kill someone and THEN kill everyone. Dunno why.

Well the quest is over and the guards are peaceful and say my name's been cleared, so I can't imagine it will be a problem anymore.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Is Immersive Creatures any good? I'm putting together a pack that is straight up the Skyrim Revisited guide from the STEP site (just want to compare it with my own mod/ENB stuff, see how it looks) and the screenshots don't give me much hope.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

load order? it sounds like something is overriding the textures you want to use

If these replacements used .esp's that would be my first thought, but they're just loose files that I've had no trouble with in previous installs. If this were FO3/NV I'd apply archive invalidation and that would fix it but apparently that's not a thing in Skyrim?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mazz posted:

Is Immersive Creatures any good? I'm putting together a pack that is straight up the Skyrim Revisited guide from the STEP site (just want to compare it with my own mod/ENB stuff, see how it looks) and the screenshots don't give me much hope.

It's not bad if you set it to lore purist mode or whatever it calls it. It can sometimes be bad about spawning monsters that are much more difficult than you can handle early on.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Didn't have much luck last time, but: my ENB ambient occlusion starts flickering on-off any time there's even a tiny sliver of a river or a lake on my screen. As far as the SSAO rendering can see, every shadow in sight starts strobing in sync. I think it has something to do with the rippling surface of the water, anyone else get this?

Deferring the object processing back to vanilla gets rid of it, but nothing else related to ambient occlusion or even water helps.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Emong posted:

It's not bad if you set it to lore purist mode or whatever it calls it. It can sometimes be bad about spawning monsters that are much more difficult than you can handle early on.

Alright, I'll give it a shot, especially because this dude's pack does all the compatibility stuff built in so it's harder to remove things then it is to just keep them.

On that note, I got to his body and armor mods section and some of them are pretty :stare:, thankfully he at least picked the semi-normal options in all of them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 25, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Emong posted:

I did not know there was a lore purist version. This makes me want to try the mod as well, thanks for your clarification.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I have deadly dragons installed. I autosaved while riding an elder dragon with the dragonborn DLC's bend will shout. I loaded the save and was being attacked by no less than twelve enemy dragons. While amazing and awesome beyond words, my computer unfortunately cannot handle it. Soft locks after about 20 seconds. Not sure what to do: on one hand, I could load a slightly earlier save. On the other, I kinda wanna fight a dozen dragons at the same time without my computer dying.

Update: It seems that I can't open the tween menu while my dragon is flying, and after a few tests, I found out that the soft-locking happens when I open the favorites menu, and try to close it. Maybe the script doesn't think I should be on the dragon?

Update: Tried an earlier save. The dragons are still spawning. It is now clear to me that they are spawning infinitely, and the game CTDs when the game reaches a dragon critical mass. In other news, Ivarstead is totally hosed.

help

Update: Uninstalled deadly dragons. Still farting dragons at a rate of one per frame. Tried hiding in a cave, didn't stop them. Even starting a new game does nothing: The flood of dragons will not abate. How mysterious.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BattleCattle posted:

I have deadly dragons installed. I autosaved while riding an elder dragon with the dragonborn DLC's bend will shout. I loaded the save and was being attacked by no less than twelve enemy dragons. While amazing and awesome beyond words, my computer unfortunately cannot handle it. Soft locks after about 20 seconds. Not sure what to do: on one hand, I could load a slightly earlier save. On the other, I kinda wanna fight a dozen dragons at the same time without my computer dying.

Update: It seems that I can't open the tween menu while my dragon is flying, and after a few tests, I found out that the soft-locking happens when I open the favorites menu, and try to close it. Maybe the script doesn't think I should be on the dragon?

Update: Tried an earlier save. The dragons are still spawning. It is now clear to me that they are spawning infinitely, and the game CTDs when the game reaches a dragon critical mass. In other news, Ivarstead is totally hosed.

help

Update: Uninstalled deadly dragons. Still farting dragons at a rate of one per frame. Tried hiding in a cave, didn't stop them. Even starting a new game does nothing: The flood of dragons will not abate. How mysterious.

lmao

• Locked thread