Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have the same plan terms but pay $56.20. They're robbing you blind, that's almost $3 a year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Bell Mobility eliminated those ages ago. Or maybe they just did for my sector (ministry of government services) because our plans are wicked cheap now.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

For reference, I pay 56.40 for:
-250 min Canada-wide voice, 6pm evenings
-unlimited Canada-wide messaging
-caller id/voicemail
-6GB data

Yeah I got on one of these through a friend-of-a-coworker. Thank jesus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not sure what the exact criteria is/was for these plans, but I know it's because my company is a Rogers enterprise customer above a certain number of lines, so we had access to that plan. The awesome part too, which I do keep, was our own personal rep so instead of calling *611 I just send the rep an email and she gets back to me right away. It's a godsend not having to deal with their loving mainstream customer service reps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

Bell Mobility eliminated those ages ago. Or maybe they just did for my sector (ministry of government services) because our plans are wicked cheap now.

My work is part of a group on a corporate plan, and our rep just cheats and marks all personal plans as employees anyway.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm not even sure what kind of corporate plan I'm on. It's been so long.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'd kill for 6gb of data at that price. After own device discount and taxes I'm paying $60.48 a month for unlimited calling/texting/2gb of data. It's an extra :10bux: to go up to 3gb of data and $20 for 5gb.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So here's a question.

I have a wonderful Saskatchewan rate plan with Telus.

I'm very likely moving to BC soon, and good GOD the rate plans everywhere else are awful. I'm looking at 60-70 dollars more just to keep what I have, which is absurd.

If and when I move, can I just change my number and keep my rate plan? Assuming I do it myself through self service? Or is this something the system is going to catch and force me to lose my awesome cell plan?

I'm positive this is something they'll catch if I try to upgrade to a iPhone 6S later this year.

EDIT: Should mention, no trickery was involved to get the rate plan. I live in Saskatchewan. I'm more concerned with trickery to keep the rate plan.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 24, 2015

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
It's been fairly popular to get a Koodo plan with a number in MB or SK, then port in your ON number while keeping the same, cheap, plan. There's been rumblings for a that they would kick people off those plans with out of market numbers, but I hadn't heard of it actually happening. As long as you don't try to do anything that involves an agent, you should be fine. I used a positive tab balance to buy a phone through Koodo's online portal and kept my plan fine after that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Welp

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/06/23/mobilicity-rogers-telus-acquisition/

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

quote:

As long as you don't try to do anything that involves an agent, you should be fine. I used a positive tab balance to buy a phone through Koodo's online portal and kept my plan fine after that.

An agent ported in my virgin number no questions asked from out of market. Been on the sweet sweet plan for 3 months with no issue!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

spoof posted:

It's been fairly popular to get a Koodo plan with a number in MB or SK, then port in your ON number while keeping the same, cheap, plan. There's been rumblings for a that they would kick people off those plans with out of market numbers, but I hadn't heard of it actually happening. As long as you don't try to do anything that involves an agent, you should be fine. I used a positive tab balance to buy a phone through Koodo's online portal and kept my plan fine after that.

Is this easy to do? Google leads me to two different locked forum threads about it and a lot of it seems to be "well maybe depends on the person you get".

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

Is this easy to do? Google leads me to two different locked forum threads about it and a lot of it seems to be "well maybe depends on the person you get".

Order a SIM from Koodo's online shop. When it arrives, call in and activate it, giving them a Saskatoon address.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

What a god drat joke. This loving country sucks.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Order a SIM from Koodo's online shop. When it arrives, call in and activate it, giving them a Saskatoon address.

Like any Saskatoon address will do (public library or etc)? What then just port my existing phone number and I'm good to go?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

Like any Saskatoon address will do (public library or etc)? What then just port my existing phone number and I'm good to go?

Yep. And sign up for e-bill (though I think it's by default now.)

Get a new Saskatoon number from them on the phone, then go sign up for self-serve and port your number.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Yep. And sign up for e-bill (though I think it's by default now.)

Get a new Saskatoon number from them on the phone, then go sign up for self-serve and port your number.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl. I can't find a spot on their website to order a SIM so I guess I'll try to get one in store.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl. I can't find a spot on their website to order a SIM so I guess I'll try to get one in store.

Yeah, looks like they took it down at the moment:

https://www.koodomobile.com/accessories

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I didn't have to give a Saskatoon address. I gave my Ontario address. I did it at the cell phone place at FutureSh--- oh.

I did get a Winnipeg number though lol, changed that online easily. I've also called in to Koodo a few times and no one cared that I'm on the plan. Been on it nearly a year now!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

RIP DAVE Wireless. You were a pretty good cellphone company.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Industry Canada sure did approve that in record time

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
gently caress Rogers.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ashley Madison posted:

What's really funny is they are all bidding for that sweet government contract for when all federal employees get cell phones.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

What's really funny is they are all bidding for that sweet government contract for when all federal employees get cell phones.

When they were bidding for Ontario's, Rogers offered an absurd deal. Bell matched them so they could stay as the vendor of record for the province. I'm glad because changing to a new mobile provider would make me quit my job immediately.

It's basically $5 voice $15 300 MB (tiered data plan)

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Oh dear lord lol

"Rogers will gain an additional 150,000 wireless customers and 30 more employees to its roster."

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/06/24/i...aws-1-spectrum/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure that when I call Rogers support I end up speaking to more than 30 different people.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I'd kill for 6gb of data at that price. After own device discount and taxes I'm paying $60.48 a month for unlimited calling/texting/2gb of data. It's an extra :10bux: to go up to 3gb of data and $20 for 5gb.

That's what I have with koodo except its like $61.20 I think. I always thought 2gb was lots but as I become more a slave to social media its becoming less and less viable.

Oh yeah, what I came to ask about. Asus Zenfone? I seen some Canadian site had them and they were very cheap. Any experiences?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So Mobilicity only employs 30 people?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

codo27 posted:

Oh yeah, what I came to ask about. Asus Zenfone? I seen some Canadian site had them and they were very cheap. Any experiences?

Picked one up last week and I love it. It's a great phone if you're willing to root it and remove or freeze all the bloat that comes pre-loaded. I've seen reports of people getting 2 hours more screen on time after dealing with the poo poo.

Only other issues are a mid tier camera and weird power button placement. Double tap to wake mitigates the power button though.

Hardware is great for the price and the UI is smooth as gently caress.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's my quarrel with android. Buy most phones, have to root it to get the most out of it. Buy a Nexus, well, I cant remove the battery or even insert a SD card, stock android is ugly as poo poo and the phone itself is even uglier. I wonder even if they start porting apps to WP will it be worthwhile.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

cowofwar posted:

So Mobilicity only employs 30 people?

To be fair, Rogers could be keeping 30 employees.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

It was the same lady who replied to every customer support email I sent to mobilicity :sparkles:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure they outsourced a ton of staff so probably don't count those as direct employees.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

codo27 posted:

That's what I have with koodo except its like $61.20 I think. I always thought 2gb was lots but as I become more a slave to social media its becoming less and less viable.

Yeah there are lots of small things I can't do because of my low data cap. None of them are super important, gotta wait to download podcasts and update apps till I'm on wifi, can't stream my iTunes Match library, gotta be careful about too much streaming video. A nice big 5-6gb data cap would eliminate all the bullshit and worry. I could just use and enjoy my phone without worrying over the data usage of every little thing.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

less than three posted:

Is there any elegant way of doing this if I'm already a BC Koodo customer?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IceHawk posted:

Is there any elegant way of doing this if I'm already a BC Koodo customer?

No one in BC would ever want to move to Sask, so no :v:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one in BC would ever want to move to Sask, so no :v:

You underestimate how lovely BC can be once you get outside of the lower mainland. :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BGrifter posted:

You underestimate how lovely BC can be once you get outside of the lower mainland. :v:

Kelowna is kinda ok! I've been to PG though, anything north of like....yeah, Kelowna, is awful.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Kelowna is kinda ok! I've been to PG though, anything north of like....yeah, Kelowna, is awful.

Trust me, Kelowna is pretty awful. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Trust me, Kelowna is pretty awful. :sigh:

I only ever go there for camping/wineries in the summer or Big White in the winter....so yeah actually I believe you