Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BioMe posted:

Seems like it's the same people that did the other spin-offs, except Crisis Core.

What makes you think that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Who was the guy who whipped FF14 into shape? It was Yoshi-something. Is he involved with the remake?

If he is, then that would make me somewhat hopeful.

Naoki Yoshida.
He actually got a promotion within S-E fairly recently, but is almost definitely married to the XIV project for its lifespan.

I would not like to see the direction that game would take without him at the helm.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's a great picture of a FF14 vanilla box that he autographed and wrote, "I fixed this" on.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

What makes you think that?

The names of the producer, director and writer from the trailer. Those are pretty much the key positions for loving everything up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

BioMe posted:

The names of the producer, director and writer from the trailer. Those are pretty much the key positions for loving everything up.

They're also the exact same people who worked on the original.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SorataYuy posted:

I really love how people keep trying to keep Aeris alive in this game. And by love I mean, get very amused that they keep forgetting her living invalidates the rest of the story going forward. :cawg:

If you're referring to what I said about if they had an alternate plot line of AVALANCHE vs Shinra, Aeris staying alive would be more due to there being no Sephiroth to shiskabob her. I mean, you could just have her arbitrarily killed off partway through.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, seriously. This is most of if not exactly the same team that did FF7 in the first place. Doesn't mean it's free from the possibility of being crap, but it certainly can't claim to be half-assed.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I' be more optimistic if they hadn't spent the last decade proving how much they needed Sakaguchi for a success story they had in 1997.

I'd feel even more optimistic if Nomura wasn't directing though. Giving him creative control might have been the real mistake with the FF7 spin-offs.

EDIT: I mean Toriyama was also involved with the original script and not seeing his name attached is probably a relief to most people after seeing how well he's come into his own.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 22, 2015

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

BioMe posted:

I' be more optimistic if they hadn't spent the last decade proving how much they needed Sakaguchi for a success story they had in 1997.

I'd feel even more optimistic if Nomura wasn't directing though. Giving him creative control might have been the real mistake with the FF7 spin-offs.

EDIT: I mean Toriyama was also involved with the original script and not seeing his name attached is probably a relief to most people after seeing how well he's come into his own.

If he was, you could bet your bottom dollar he would find a way to shoehorn in a Lightning cameo.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Randalor posted:

If you're referring to what I said about if they had an alternate plot line of AVALANCHE vs Shinra, Aeris staying alive would be more due to there being no Sephiroth to shiskabob her. I mean, you could just have her arbitrarily killed off partway through.

Thing is if you take away Sephiroth, the story doesn't really go anywhere. He's the major driving force behind many of the events. Then we just get some of the story of XII, I believe.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
If they do the combat like 15 this will be so cool. Also can't wait to see all the remade summons.

Cosmo Canyon, Rocket Town...Junon will definitely be badass. Wonder what crazy poo poo they will put in the Gold Saucer.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was playing FFXIV Heavensward's campaign, and here's something interesting. Also, huge spoilers:

The final boss is quite literally a Knights of the Round summon. Complete with the name, the designs being pretty much HD versions of the FFVII summons with the same silhouette and colors (the King even has the same white armor and red cape), the crazy attacks like the dash and the meteors (aptly named Meteorain, heh), the "falling background" animation, everything. It looks pretty nice.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 23, 2015

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Elentor posted:

I was playing FFXIV Heavensward's campaign, and here's something interesting. Also, huge spoilers:

The final boss is quite literally a Knights of the Round summon. Complete with the name, the designs being pretty much HD versions of the FFVII summons with the same silhouette and colors (the King even has the red cape), the crazy attacks like the dash and the meteors, the "falling background" animation, everything. It looks pretty nice.

That is the coolest.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

The final boss is quite literally a Knights of the Round summon. Complete with the name, the designs being pretty much HD versions of the FFVII summons with the same silhouette and colors (the King even has the same white armor and red cape), the crazy attacks like the dash and the meteors (aptly named Meteorain, heh), the "falling background" animation, everything. It looks pretty nice.

I miss my Monk. :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Elentor posted:

I have literally no idea how anyone could keep track of anything in that sort of UI full of tiny constantly moving text everywhere. I don't think I could do anything but button mash if I were playing it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Choco1980 posted:

I have literally no idea how anyone could keep track of anything in that sort of UI full of tiny constantly moving text everywhere. I don't think I could do anything but button mash if I were playing it.

The game eases you into a lot of it. Some people actually think that the game ramps up too slowly with the complicated poo poo. :shrug:

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Pretty much the reason I stopped playing. I couldn't even tell what was going on in Moogle Extreme and I think that only had 8 party members. There were other reasons as well but they're too off-topic.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Med School posted:

If they do the combat like 15 this will be so cool. Also can't wait to see all the remade summons.

Cosmo Canyon, Rocket Town...Junon will definitely be badass. Wonder what crazy poo poo they will put in the Gold Saucer.

Can't wait to see how they embellish the 'cross-dressing-to-gain-entry-to-the-club' sequence.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Death Zebra posted:

Pretty much the reason I stopped playing. I couldn't even tell what was going on in Moogle Extreme and I think that only had 8 party members. There were other reasons as well but they're too off-topic.
You got to Mog EX and still didn't know how to read the UI, presumably knowing full well you can customize much of it? Honestly that sounds more like player fault than the game's...

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Choco1980 posted:

A lot of that tiny text looked irrelevant to me. Damage dealt/taken aren't needed since boss and player health have their own bars you can watch and I highly doubt they need to be keeping track of all those (de)buffs.

That's probably just how that person likes it to look.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

asymmetrical posted:

You got to Mog EX and still didn't know how to read the UI, presumably knowing full well you can customize much of it? Honestly that sounds more like player fault than the game's...

MMO interfaces aren't everybody's cup of tea and no amount of the available in-game customization will change it on a fundamental level. Some people just aren't into it.

FillInTheBlank posted:

A lot of that tiny text looked irrelevant to me. Damage dealt/taken aren't needed since boss and player health have their own bars you can watch and I highly doubt they need to be keeping track of all those (de)buffs.

That's probably just how that person likes it to look.

It still looks kinda clean compared to some aberrations that would pop up from time to time in WoW, though. :v:

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 23, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Elentor posted:

If I ever decide to ruin my life with playing a MMO again this game actually looks very pretty.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

asymmetrical posted:

It's been 10 months but I think I could read the UI fine (though admittedly it took way longer than it should have to even notice the agro meters), I just couldn't tell what was going on in the battles at that point. My guess is there was too much information for me to process between the UI and what was happening in the battle. I do tend to focus on too little information. Lazy brain I guess.

Also, I never said it was the game's fault.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Elentor, your post about HW made me finally log in and use my early access, so thanks. Fun so far

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Oh my god :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Holy poo poo this is a work of art.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Did you make that yourself? That's amazing.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Great!

Now do one with Barret, so it's more authentic.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

LeafyOrb posted:

Great!

Now do one with Barret, so it's more authentic.

I'd love to see an enquirer style cover about dubious science experiments in Shinra tower.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

:aaaaa:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Did you make that yourself? That's amazing.

If you made that I literally want a poster-size copy of it, sell me this thing, please

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I did not make that. It seems it was made by Rusty Shackles. You can buy a print of it for $15 ($10 for the print, and $5 one time flat shipping fee).

From the site: "All prints are 11x17 art/12x18 full bleed printed on vibrant 60 lb digital stock"

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

quote:

“There won’t be any new characters. As far as visual taste goes, it’s going to match the visuals we’ve seen this time, and be more on the realistic side,” says Nomura when asked about any scenario changes or new characters.

Finally, Famitsu asks more about the game system.

“While I can’t say much about the details, it will be changed to a system that has a sense of reality,” answers Nomura.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/23/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-more-realistic-but-wont-have-new-characters/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have absolutely no idea what that actually means aside from "it may or may not be similar to the original".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'll have a sense of reality.

VIRTUAL reality.

Flagship Morpheus title! :getin:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

no more characters? I was hoping that, after all these years, they could finally be true to their vision and replace Cait Sith with the more realistic Iscar Matthias.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And here I was sending them the design docs for my original character Jeff "Nimbus" Strife all these years. I guess they didn't wanna get in legal trouble.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Waffleman_ posted:

And here I was sending them the design docs for my original character Jeff "Nimbus" Strife all these years. I guess they didn't wanna get in legal trouble.

You didn't say not to steal him so guess who's ending up in my next fanfiction :twisted:

Just beat my junction-abuse game of FF8 and that was fun. I got plowed because I was playing the entire game just one-hitting everything with Renzokuken, didn't bother junctioning any kind of defense, and Griever's second form gets its insanely-damaging attack in before I can act. I ended up grinding high level magic in the Island Closest to Hell / Heaven, until I realized wait, I have Hero items, who needs defense? :v:

I like FF8 a lot. It was nice playing it without the random battles, which is something I have much less tolerance for now that I'm old. Like I'd whined about earlier, I think with a retooling of the script and a re-examination of how to portray Squall, it could be a lot better. This playthough [and this thread's discussion] helped me look at what's there a lot differently.

[also, between Esthar and the end portions of the game, I would love to see what FF8 HD would look like]

Off to go read peoples' insane theories about just what was going on in FF8 / what it all meant. My vote is Rinoa is Ultimecia, Squall is Cloud, Seifer is Zeromus, Ultimecia is Kefka, time is cyclical, hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do hope the Love Triangle element is changed some. Maybe they clearly favor Cloud/Aerith or Cloud/Tifa. Just to watch the rage of the people on the Internet in response.

• Locked thread