Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
If animal people are going to have a valid place in society, will it be immoral to use thrips men as training fodder for recruits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been capturing hostile animal people and breeding friendly offspring to serve as a scout/screen force for many versions now.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

what? is it unethical to enslave the local tigermen to serve as guard dogs now? bah humbug.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'll take "phrases that would be sociopathic in literally any other context" for 500, Alex

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just hope duck men are warlike as hell.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Sadly wiped out by the goose men. Everyone was wiped out by the goose men.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

TOADS TOAD TOASDS COMING OUTTA THE WALLS

Toady One posted:

The last major thing I need to do in adventure mode is handle how the player interacts with all the art stuff. All of the adventure tavern-goers do fort-mode dancing and storytelling and music and so on, and we need a few indicators there so you know more about what's going on. We need the adventurer to be able to do all of these things themselves, and if you start an activity, other people need to join in or otherwise appreciate what's going on. We're also going to do a little bit with composition, though as we've said before, we're not doing much with it for this time. It would also be good for the sun to diminish and go into the west, for a few months at least... it'll be slow-going while records continue being set.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

scamtank posted:

The last major thing I need to do

But before release he needs to include a climate model of global warming and a model of radioactive decay because this is totally necessary for the performance of dwarven bards.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also naturally the timbre and style and so on of the ambient music playing, their opinions of nearby art pieces, etc. need to affect all interactions your adventurer has with NPCs.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The drunkenness syndrome impacts NPC personality traits, so it's only natural that music can do the same. Mod all the brakes off and then be able to incite people to riot by singing the song that cranks [PRONE_TO_RAGE] all the way up. Be a magic bard and clear away bandits by cranking dudes' sadness so high they slip into suicidal melancholy.

e: What I really hope is that he ports the "accumulation" of the drunkenness syndrome back towards the secretions of forgotten beasts so they will only be a mild annoyance when on the ground unless someone stands in it for a long period.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 27, 2015

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The Pied Piper of Death.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

The drunkenness syndrome impacts NPC personality traits, so it's only natural that music can do the same. Mod all the brakes off and then be able to incite people to riot by singing the song that cranks [PRONE_TO_RAGE] all the way up. Be a magic bard and clear away bandits by cranking dudes' sadness so high they slip into suicidal melancholy.

:allears: This is a great idea.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

PublicOpinion posted:

e: What I really hope is that he ports the "accumulation" of the drunkenness syndrome back towards the secretions of forgotten beasts so they will only be a mild annoyance when on the ground unless someone stands in it for a long period.

It should be a cinch to modify with the string patcher, anyway.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

PublicOpinion posted:

Then it turns out that you aren't immune to your own songs.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
"The last major thing I need to do"
Does this mean that he'll stop to develop it? What? No way

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Then it turns out that you aren't immune to your own songs.

It turns out that your own songs only affect you like acid rain and inexplicably turns your boots into iron thrones.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

"The last major thing I need to do"
Does this mean that he'll stop to develop it? What? No way

He probably means "The last major thing I need to do before releasing the next update"

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

that last major thing still sounds like a lot of work so get ready for another 6 months of nothing

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Helical Nightmares posted:

:allears: This is a great idea.

It's a major part of gameplay in Liberal Crime Squad, so it would make sense for Toady. He's gone there before.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Angela Christine posted:

Sadly wiped out by the goose men. Everyone was wiped out by the goose men.

One thing I love about Runequest is how duck men will always get loving smashed on ale, godquest-worship their savage quacking ancesters and just go on a 500-mile gently caress poo poo up spree with axes and swords <3

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The folks on Bay12 are getting close to figuring out the secret of causing wounds exclusively through DFHack. Those will be some mighty interesting scripts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The spinning memory address has lodged in the wound!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SynthOrange posted:

The spinning memory address has lodged in the wound!

It overflows!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is there a google doc with all the new features on it like there was for the last release? I haven't been paying attention to this one's development but just skimming the devlog it seems like there's a lot of major changes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Taverns, temples and fortress visitors, festivals, entertainment and the arts, libraries, scribes and the spread of discoveries, personality needs, working mugs and extension of the syndrome system to account for drunkenness come to mind.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

hey df thread, it's time for my semi-annual question:
are armies still busted so that you cannot prevent your dwarves from becoming suicidally depressed while in the service?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DFHack got that bug all the way in 2012, first through a binary patch and then with tweak patrol-duty, but Toady himself marked that one as fixed for v0.40.05. Probably thanks to Quietust's binary digging.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Attack speed and movement speed are seperate things, things can walk/run/sprint, things can jump and climb. Your 1 z tile wide and tall walls won't cut it anymore. Gobbos can and will jump over pits, climb trees and jump over your walls, etc.

Shooting bolts is calculated correctly (more correctly?). Dwarves have emotions; a scrub just drafted into the military will probably run the hell away from a forgotten beast at the first sign of trouble.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
That's it, I'm officially out of patience for the new release.

How does he manage to delay it so consistently, every time? You think you've finally got your expectations set and he scope creeps and drags it out longer than even that.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Before this the last three "big" updates took 2 years, 11 months, and 19 months (or thereabouts).

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TildeATH posted:

That's it, I'm officially out of patience for the new release.

How does he manage to delay it so consistently, every time? You think you've finally got your expectations set and he scope creeps and drags it out longer than even that.

How white and middle class are you?

It's one man, making a free game larger in scope than pretty much ANY loving thing else on the market.

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up and being grateful Toady exists?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Come on, even the Magna Carta defined the liberty to grump as a civil right of all free men.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Toady is a goddamn treasure.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I was actually just thinking how amazing it was that we might get a 1 year release this time, instead of a 2+ one. That's pretty incredible, actually! Half the usual time!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

scamtank posted:

DFHack got that bug all the way in 2012, first through a binary patch and then with tweak patrol-duty, but Toady himself marked that one as fixed for v0.40.05. Probably thanks to Quietust's binary digging.

excellent

Moridin920 posted:

Attack speed and movement speed are seperate things, things can walk/run/sprint, things can jump and climb. Your 1 z tile wide and tall walls won't cut it anymore. Gobbos can and will jump over pits, climb trees and jump over your walls, etc.

Shooting bolts is calculated correctly (more correctly?). Dwarves have emotions; a scrub just drafted into the military will probably run the hell away from a forgotten beast at the first sign of trouble.

EXCELLENT

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gibbo posted:

How white and middle class are you?

It's one man, making a free game larger in scope than pretty much ANY loving thing else on the market.

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up and being grateful Toady exists?

Pretty sure you're allowed to criticize Tarn Adams here.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TildeATH posted:

pretty sure the criticism just bounces off him like a spinning basalt on a ☼steel breastplate☼ anyways

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gibbo posted:

This does not comply with SA groupThink my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TildeATH posted:

I think his priorities can be weird, but I also recognize that those weird priorities are what gave us the DF we know and love. Severed parts sailing off in arcs, beautifully simulated FPS-killing trees, procedurally generated descriptions of every dwarven beard hair, megabeasts made from materials causing them to die from a light tap, a military screen no human being can properly understand...