Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Shifty Pony posted:

lol at trusting the inspector chosen by the seller.

i wish tech bubble would disrupt the real estate sales industry instead of trying to make it so manchildren never have to leave their apartments.

they tried, but just like car dealers, real estate agents have lots of power and lord MLS over everything.

also, in today's insane market in the bay area homes will sometimes not even go on the market. The real estate agent works both sides so the house never goes on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Subjunctive posted:

I am not emotionally equipped for SV real estate.

grats on probably not being a sociopath

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The real estate agent works both sides so the house never goes on the market.

there's pending legislation in SF to publish these sales and people are real pissed about it [it's public info anyway it's just now you have to wait for the property tax reassessment data and search it one at a time]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Munkeymon posted:

grats on probably not being a sociopath

we were very kind when selling our place, I feel OK on that front

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
indoor doors are 3 feet wide, so maybe someone can figure it out using math

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Toronto was nice because there was one well-known inspection company, so the seller could get them to inspect and buyers could rely on it.

when we sold our house in Toronto in 2012 we countered *lower* than the buyer's offer, after some complexity. I am not emotionally equipped for SV real estate.

also not physically or mentally equipped to take care of some cardboard without paying tech-serf to do it for you

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

tesla is a strong sign, but the $15K Apple watch has to be guaranteed

in vancouver you can tell whose daddies are corrupt chinese businessmen because they have a gold apple watch and a gigantic samsung smartphone

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

<3 u subjunctive

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mido posted:

also not physically or mentally equipped to take care of some cardboard without paying tech-serf to do it for you

ya got me

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

indoor doors are 3 feet wide, so maybe someone can figure it out using math

not all of them, especially not for something built in the early 50s. my house was built in 1900 and all the windows and doors are hosed up mutant sizes.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

its okay i generally prefer to sleep with a futon and stare at women while they sleep

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

the Cuesta Park Charmer
sounds like a serial killer or a wrestler

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

they tried, but just like car dealers, real estate agents have lots of power and lord MLS over everything.

also, in today's insane market in the bay area homes will sometimes not even go on the market. The real estate agent works both sides so the house never goes on the market.

ya Redfin tried to break in but even though they won access to MLS data they have largely been rendered useless by the private little real estate social network where they let each other know when a house is coming for sale, how much you should bid, etc.

it is funny to watch actually. the NAR is really freaking concerned about off the market sales because they are pretty much always a giant breach of fiduciary duty.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

EVGA Longoria posted:

i was p pissed when i saw how much of my meagre near-minimum wage job was taken

then i grew up and realized it's good for society and now i just wish it were used for social programs and good public transit

tbh, employee/employer contribution should be graduated based on income level. make minimum wage? employer pay 100% of fica. make 50k a year? employer pays 75%, etc. etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

it is funny to watch actually. the NAR is really freaking concerned about off the market sales because they are pretty much always a giant breach of fiduciary duty.
not to mention equal opportunity and anti-redlining laws

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

not to mention equal opportunity and anti-redlining laws

yeah but lets be realistic about which one is more likely to bite realtors in the rear end: some minorities not getting the chance to bid on a house or a rich white fucker who lost out on $80k.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

is the bay area housing bubble part of the tech bubble?

I'm the buyer's kids' GPAs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
although really if you can drop $1.6 million on loving 2000 square feet you can probably afford to fix whatever might be hosed up inside.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the people buying it can't really afford it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, their budgets are generally built right to the edge of their mortgage interest deductions (lol USA) and frozen property taxes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

according to the legend, the orange was the original house footprint and they added the white

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
where the gently caress were the bathrooms before

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

:mrgw:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

the people buying it can't really afford it

For those interested I found this here:

http://www.newpaloaltohouse.com/2013/05/our-mountain-view-home-is-for-saleopen.html

and

http://www.newpaloaltohouse.com/2013/06/sold-behind-scenes-look-at-selling-of.html

when I typed 'should I buy a home in the bay area' someone linked to these articles and noped right the gently caress out of that idea also burbed is funny:

http://www.burbed.com/

quote:

Home prices up 31% in Redwood City, 40% in Mountain View – Congrats!!

Congrats to the Real Bay Area cities whose median sold home price went up greater than 30%!

Now, let’s dissect the data. Obviously Hillsborough and Atherton went up by 40% because everyday a new millionaire is minted (billionaires are only minted on Thursdays.)

Mountain View is kind of obvious because of Google, Google, Google, and Global Beads at 345 Castro Street.

But Redwood City? drat!

The last time Redwood City soared like this was back in 2006… when dead people were getting mortgages. But this time it’s different. The paradigm has shifted. There’s Facebook next door and a Philz.

And look at the difference it has made to the schools according to Great Schools:

Oh. Uh. Yeah.

Well whatever. Nothing can stop us now. It’s only a matter of time before even Redwood City will beat our mortal enemy Manhattan in price per square foot. (I hear they’re already whimpering in fear.)

Let’s look at how house prices will look in 5 years based on the current growth levels (and as always, past performance is indicative of future results):

Yep, that’s right. You heard it first. I’m calling Redwood City at $4.3M and Mountain View at $4.7M in 2019. Nothing can stop us now!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
one point six million dollars

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
that's nothing. paging any vancouver yosgoons...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
611 Bridlepath Trl
$1,550,000 | 5 Bed 5 Bath
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/611-Bridlepath-Trl_Davidson_NC_28036_M63932-15667

this is the closest one I could find to me

one point six million dollars

Stringent posted:

seriously what the gently caress?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there are 4 places for sale in my zip code:
a studio for $650k
a 2br for $1.6mm
a 3br for $6mm
and the ultimate pimp palace for $10mm

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

lmao at those HOA fees

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Janitor Prime posted:

lmao at those HOA fees

I looked at a tiny 1br in the building next door and they were $800 for that so it's not that bad of a deal

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Janitor Prime posted:

lmao at those HOA fees

I'm sure you'll really notice them with your $53,000 a month mortgage payment

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Stringent posted:

not only mentioned, but actually publicized

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hey jonny290 I'm legit looking at Colorado Springs and Longmont, CO just looks so nice

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Dislike button posted:

I'm sure you'll really notice them with your $53,000 a month mortgage payment

no one buying that is going to have a mortgage

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

born on a buy you posted:

no one buying that is going to have a mortgage

eh, it'd probably be 'corporate housing' for a CEO or whatever, and it's unlikely the company would buy it full cash, that's a big investment for something they could be paying a mortgage on and investing the rest.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

with interest rates where they are (and interest tax deductible) they will probably take a mortgage because they can exceed on returns with the remaining capital

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
you buy that property to rent out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

gonna fire up task rabbit and have some rube do this difficult house math for me good heavens

• Locked thread