Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Had a pretty fun game last night, my 1850 of Dark Eldar, trying the Corpsethief Claw formation of 5 Talos (WS5 S7 T7 W3 A3 omg) with deepstriking Grotesques, Scourges and Kabalites supported by 2 Razorwing Jetfighters...against a 1750 pt ork army including a Stompa, 3 Killa Kans and a couple of Trukks full of Boyz.

Unfortunately the 5 Talos (120 pts each) were wasted as I started them in a corner and they went back and forth shooting at targets in the middle and corner - I should have just kept moving them forward on the short edge of the table but they did get into an interesting combat with the Stompa! I needed 6s to glance it to death, too bad the drat thing has 12 HP, they only took it down to 9 or so before most of them got stomped, the first turn of combat the stompa missed or didn't do any damage at all. Turn 5 I disembarked the last of the Grotesques on an objective and turbo -boosted their Raider (the last surviving one) on top of another objective, which got me a 'moral draw' as we called it (I had 2 objectives, orks had 1 plus first blood, the stompa was marginally closer on the contested objective). All in all pretty interesting, I should have taken more anti-vehicle stuff since I knew the stompa was coming but it was still fun all the same. We were both removing models by the handful, which turns out to be pretty fun.

And yes I had 100 more points, this was against our most tactical player but he knows the rest of us want to enjoy the games too so we're trialling a handicap system where whenever I lose against him I get an extra 5% of points. If we count all-time playing record I should have 200% more points than him but we only recently started this.

e: whoops, top of a new page! here's a picture of my ebay rescue Taloi being cheered on by their Haemonculus leader against the big stompy robit

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Reynold posted:

:hf:

Every elf I kill, in any of the vast multitude of game settings and storylines where they exist in any form, is a victory for the betterment of the world, and brings me joy. Conversely, when elves kill my bros, I get totes mad about it. It's a vicious cycle.

In other news, MY GIRLFRIEND has convinced me to take the plunge into 30k ... It is also very likely that most of our games will be of the zone mortalis variety in the future.

I too have started planning for 30k once my Minotaurs are finished, and was actually about to ask about Sons of Horus and Imperial Fists in 30k too. :iiam:

And gently caress elves.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

I have to assume that the Deathwing Redemption Force, which is a Formation of only Belial/Chaplain/Company Master/Librarian, Deathwing Terminators, optional Deathwing Command Squad, optional Deathwing Knights, and optional Venerable Dreadnought, will have an ability to come in first turn. One of the "tease" texts from a recent White Dwarf was that Deathwing would be ready to assault turn 2. It would make sense that the Formation would fix the necessary FOC requirements of Troops to go full Terminator, give them a bump in arrival time and probably give ObSec to the normal Terminators.

Doesn't look like it.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/dark-angel-formation-unveiled.html

No Turn one deepstrike. Looks like classic 'I have 20 models in my army' Deathwing Assault is dead.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

Doesn't look like it.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/dark-angel-formation-unveiled.html

No Turn one deepstrike. Looks like classic 'I have 20 models in my army' Deathwing Assault is dead.

Yeah, I saw that last night and was pretty bummed. :/ it's still possible that something gives them the ability but I find it hilarious that if you only field the Deathwing Formation you immediately lose. I don't think they've ever made a Formation that's impossible to field on its own before.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's genuinally weird.

Deathwing Assult has been a thing forever, and it's not like a mass terminator army is some totally OP thing that desperatly required nerfing.

It might even make sense if GW was moving away from turn one deepstrike in general, but no not only are Drop pods unchanged but they literally introduce that Skyhammer Annhilation force last week.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, I saw that last night and was pretty bummed. :/ it's still possible that something gives them the ability but I find it hilarious that if you only field the Deathwing Formation you immediately lose. I don't think they've ever made a Formation that's impossible to field on its own before.

Legion of the Damned are the same way.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
It also owns how the Deathwing Redemption Bros bundle isn't actually legal since they didn't include a drop pod.

I'm pretty excited for this dumb book. Making the gun on the stupid church jet 10/2 or whatever makes it suddenly worth taking, dropping the price on Terminators is rad, and even if Grim Resolve still kinda sucks, it's better than it used to be. I'm stoked to see how less-lovely the army is now, and I guess I'm getting some Grav cannons.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Reynold posted:

:hf:

Every elf I kill, in any of the vast multitude of game settings and storylines where they exist in any form, is a victory for the betterment of the world, and brings me joy. Conversely, when elves kill my bros, I get totes mad about it. It's a vicious cycle.

In other news, MY GIRLFRIEND has convinced me to take the plunge into 30k, but more like baby steps into the kiddie pool I guess. I ordered Abaddon and Loken for her to be picked up at GenCon (along with other stuff), since Loken...

This just isn't fair, I can't get my girlfriend interested in 40K, all she cares about is having sex all the time. You sir, are a lucky man.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

This just isn't fair, I can't get my girlfriend interested in 40K, all she cares about is having sex all the time. You sir, are a lucky man.

Check your email :P

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Check your email :P

Task Complete Lord Magos.

Anyway, took Slimnoid's advice and touched up my assassins. Ended up drybrushing Necron Compound onto the metal parts of the bases, and Ulthuan Grey on the concrete portions. Also, did a bit more with Runefang Steel on all the gold parts.

So, I suppose ill have these up on the Oath thread here once I get a bit more color on the Culexus, but other than that I am really happy with how they turned out.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 23, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

I'm stoked to see how less-lovely the army is now

:agreed:
I haven't had the time to play 40k in a long time, but all this has me wanting to bust out my Dark Angels. I'm going to use my Nephilim for the first time ever and wreck poo poo with AP3 Deathwing Knights. :getin:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

ANAmal.net posted:

It also owns how the Deathwing Redemption Bros bundle isn't actually legal since they didn't include a drop pod.

I'm pretty excited for this dumb book. Making the gun on the stupid church jet 10/2 or whatever makes it suddenly worth taking, dropping the price on Terminators is rad, and even if Grim Resolve still kinda sucks, it's better than it used to be. I'm stoked to see how less-lovely the army is now, and I guess I'm getting some Grav cannons.

One of the rules lawyers at my LGS pointed out that Deathwing that are taking a land raider as DT are required to arrive via deep strike according to the precise wording of that rule.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

koreban posted:

One of the rules lawyers at my LGS pointed out that Deathwing that are taking a land raider as DT are required to arrive via deep strike according to the precise wording of that rule.

I noticed that too. I suspect it means that they can't take Land Raiders as dedicated transports anymore, but if they can you bet your rear end I'm deep striking those fuckers and I don't give a poo poo how stupid it is. :black101:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Nevermind, the new ball-tipped rods fit into a round socket in the bottom of the Venom, to be glued in place.

Edit: I was mounting the rod into the base and, despite being made for 20 years, either the hole or the peg was the wrong size and the bottom beg snapped. Neat.

I like how all of these look. The skull mask is one of the defining features of the Eversor, (in a game full of skull masks) with a few strokes of one color on the teeth it would add more definition. The wash spread a bit (the model itself lacks definition there, unless the base coats dulled that).

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Reynold posted:

In other news, MY GIRLFRIEND has convinced me to take the plunge into 30k, but more like baby steps into the kiddie pool I guess. I ordered Abaddon and Loken for her to be picked up at GenCon (along with other stuff), since Loken is her favorite character. Does anyone play Sons of Horus, or have any general 30k beginner advice, keeping in mind she will always always ALWAYS be using Loken as her HQ? I have yet to decide what to do for my own 30k force, I'm still trying to decide between AdMech so I can be cool and different, Imperial Fists (my 40k marine army is Black Templars SO IT JUST MAKES SENSE YOU SEE), Night Lords (because psychotic murderers and Curze), and Iron Warriors. Thus far I have not been impressed with the Iron Warriors releases, so I'm leaning towards the first two. It is also very likely that most of our games will be of the zone mortalis variety in the future.

What armies will you play against? If you’re playing 30k you’ll have a very different meta from 30k in 40k. For the former, if its an established group, you’ll want smaller squads in transports of some kind. Otherwise do whatever.

In the right meta SOH can be strong. In a vacuum or in 40k they have pretty mediocre/situational rules. Admech and Fists are both strong. Night Lords and Iron Warriors are also situational, with the IWs in particular getting some poo poo rules and models. If you can talk your friends into letting you use the ‘raider’ force org for NL then they suddenly go from ‘meh’ to ‘pretty drat good’.

You can also ally SOH and Iron Warriors to AdMech or the other way around. This tends to mitigate some of their weaknesses.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

BULBASAUR posted:

What armies will you play against?

Primarily the GF's Sons of Horus. :v:

There is a slim chance that I will take the army out into the wild, mostly gonna be smaller zone mortalis games against one or two peeps. I don't wanna go over the top hard counter to her SoH, as this will quickly wind up with another few hundred dollars' worth of models on the shelf for all time. Are AdMech considered OP in such small scale games vs. marines? If so, I'll probably go with Imperial Fists, but of course I'd wanna go all phalanx warder rite of war with them because it's so cool, but again, I don't wanna end up all HAHAHA YOU CANT GET THROUGH MY SHIELDS AND I WIN every game, so are they considered fairly balanced vs. SoH melee mans?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Reynold posted:

There is a slim chance that I will take the army out into the wild, mostly gonna be smaller zone mortalis games against one or two peeps. I don't wanna go over the top hard counter to her SoH, as this will quickly wind up with another few hundred dollars' worth of models on the shelf for all time. Are AdMech considered OP in such small scale games vs. marines? If so, I'll probably go with Imperial Fists, but of course I'd wanna go all phalanx warder rite of war with them because it's so cool, but again, I don't wanna end up all HAHAHA YOU CANT GET THROUGH MY SHIELDS AND I WIN every game, so are they considered fairly balanced vs. SoH melee mans?

Admech you will not have many models in 1000 points, depending on which flavour you field. If you go with the Cybernetica list and take Castellax as compulsory troop choices, then that plus a HQ is pretty much 1000 points. If you go with Tagmata then Thallax + Castellax plus character plus something else (Vorax/servitors + tech priest/etc) will give you something like less than 15 models for 1000 points.

Quick to paint.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kilo147 posted:

Plus 20 hormagants, a couple Armorcast beasties, a pair of Screamer-killers, 40 Rogue Trader Hunter-Slayers, gargoyles, and a gently caress ton of other stuff? PM me or email me. I'll send delicious photos.

Oh, and I have one of the unreleased Dominators. Forgot which one..

Sent a PM! Hunter-Slayers, good god... I have 30 of the plastic alien attack 2nd edition gants, so could use a unit of 1st ed. Plus a Dominator!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Space Marine battlescribe catalogue's almost done

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Note how many HQs you can take in the Ravenwing Strike Force.

Note also that in nowhere in the book does it say that being put on a bike gives you the Ravenwing special rule. In fact, the only HQ model that has it is Sammael. Who is also, I might add, stuck with his Warlord trait.

Additionally, there's no way to get a turn 1 Deepstrike with Deathwing. At all. So if your entire army is a DW one you're pretty much screwed.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

ijyt posted:

I too have started planning for 30k once my Minotaurs are finished, and was actually about to ask about Sons of Horus and Imperial Fists in 30k too. :iiam:

And gently caress elves.

SoH Reaver squads have a neat trick where you buy jump packs for them at a per-squad basis, not per-model, so it costs the same to make 5 reavers jump troops as it does to make 15! The Eye of Horus podcast had an interesting discussion on how to make the Black Reaving work, so it may be worth looking into that.

Justaerin kinda blow though.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
How are Blood Angels in 30k? I'm holding out on the hopes that they don't suck, and then I might migrate over to 30k permanently with my army of them.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So anyone had any experience using Honor Guard lately? I want to give them Power Mauls for the upcoming tournament because it maximizes their effectiveness, but I am slightly worried this leaves them to vulnerable should they run into anything running with a 2+. Power Mauls also mean they will have a chance against most walkers should they find themselves in combat with them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BirdieBedtime posted:

SoH Reaver squads have a neat trick where you buy jump packs for them at a per-squad basis, not per-model, so it costs the same to make 5 reavers jump troops as it does to make 15! The Eye of Horus podcast had an interesting discussion on how to make the Black Reaving work, so it may be worth looking into that.

Justaerin kinda blow though.

Neat, I'll check out the podcast, might help figure out a small 500-1000pt list too.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Strength of Many posted:

How are Blood Angels in 30k? I'm holding out on the hopes that they don't suck, and then I might migrate over to 30k permanently with my army of them.

Good news! They don't exist yet. Though I am pretty sure you can take them as a generic Legion list and give them all Furious Charge.

Edit: Well they kind of exist, they have a couple of relics.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Reynold posted:

Honestly at low points you’ll both have a hard time making a really balanced list and will both have the same handycap. AdMech with lots of robots can be really hard to deal with at low points though, so I would avoid them in small scale games unless you make a friendly list.

Phalanx Warder ROW isn’t super duper great, so feel free to use it against her SOH without much guilt. The regular fist legion rule are just really good.

Strength of Many posted:

No rules yet, sadly. They aren’t in any of the books yet and probably wont be for a while. I expect we’ll get them after Thousand Suns and Space Wulfs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Holy poo poo just saw the Mk IV Recon Squad, I know what I'm using for my Minotaur scouts. :signings:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
From the waist-up those guys look neato, from the waist down it seems like their legs are somehow even more scrawny than standard marine legs.

This splinter cannon under the Venom is kinda-sorta snapfit, while I'm going to pin the splinter cannon on the top (that flimsy hinge bit clearly won't make it a year without breaking).

Is there any reason at all not to glue the underslung splintercannon into place? It's so completely inconspicuous I'm thinking of just leaving it off for extra bits, on top of how I'd never take any other loadout, anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

From the waist-up those guys look neato, from the waist down it seems like their legs are somehow even more scrawny than standard marine legs.

This splinter cannon under the Venom is kinda-sorta snapfit, while I'm going to pin the splinter cannon on the top (that flimsy hinge bit clearly won't make it a year without breaking).

Is there any reason at all not to glue the underslung splintercannon into place? It's so completely inconspicuous I'm thinking of just leaving it off for extra bits, on top of how I'd never take any other loadout, anyway.

Magnets, maybe. But WYSIWYG isn't a thing so you might as well keep it for bits.

Also Bulbasaur, while you're here as the resident 30k expert, do Alpha Legion have intersting rules? It's a toss up between SoH and Alpha in terms of paint scheme, and Imperial Fists more because the rules sound neat but painting yellow is painting yellow.

e: vvvv If that's true then :pcgaming:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 23, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ijyt posted:

Also Bulbasaur, while you're here as the resident 30k expert, do Alpha Legion have intersting rules? It's a toss up between SoH and Alpha in terms of paint scheme, and Imperial Fists more because the rules sound neat but painting yellow is painting yellow.

Each turn, roll a leadership test. If you pass the test, an enemy unit of your choice is actually Alpharius, and attacks for you as normal.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Would anyone be willing to evaluate two similar 1850 Eldar lists for me?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ijyt posted:

It's not. Alphas play pretty similarly to vanilla 30k, with bonuses and buffs here and there. Their calling card is that they can give themselves your choice of special rules for the entire Alpha Legion force rather than any preset chapter tactics, and their unique rite of war has one very unique, very powerful perk: see a non-IC special unit another Legion has that you like? Now it's yours, with the same Alpha Legion mutable tactic you chose.

Not an active Warhams player myself (my gaming group plays Rogue Trader a lot and a few of my players are active traditional Warhams players), but consensus I've read is that Alphas are like vanilla 30k marines with some buffs here and there that depend heavily on your own particular tactics and list building to make the most of rather than being predisposed to any particular strategy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's not true but it bloody well should be :colbert:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Another Primarch down. Tied for best model they've made with Horus imo. More pics in the model thread.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Finally got my Devastator kits in. Holy poo poo that's a lot of options and bitz. :stare:

Now I need to get two Tactical boxes to build out four options and ten extra bolter marines to come down in the Stormhammer Formation.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Magnets, maybe. But WYSIWYG isn't a thing so you might as well keep it for bits.

Alpha Legion have some strong rules, they are up there with Fists, Word Barrers, Hands, and AdMech as having the 'strongest' legion rules.

You have tons of flexibility with their army and you can pull some hilarious poo poo

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

serious gaylord posted:

Another Primarch down. Tied for best model they've made with Horus imo. More pics in the model thread.

this is awesome

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Painted by seven people over 20 something years. The bulk of it nearly lost in Katrina. And absolute nothing done in the past few years.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Kilo147 posted:

Painted by seven people over 20 something years. The bulk of it nearly lost in Katrina. And absolute nothing done in the past few years.

Those own. I love old Tyranids, I just got into the game too late (2000ish) to buy all the buggers before they went for a premium. :/ While I like the new style, the original bugs will always hold a soft spot for their semi-goofiness and early 90s charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

PierreTheMime posted:

Those own. I love old Tyranids, I just got into the game too late (2000ish) to buy all the buggers before they went for a premium. :/ While I like the new style, the original bugs will always hold a soft spot for their semi-goofiness and early 90s charm.

If Lord Aba turns them down, I'll send you all the pics. If you're interested, that is.

• Locked thread