Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's hard to get uppity about how bad you have it when you don't realize how bad you have it, basically. The USA is pretty isolated culturally from the rest of the world -- remember we only border Canada and Mexico. Mexico's worse off than we are and while Canada's in good shape (a.k.a. has decent public healthcare) probably less than 5% of the population interacts with Canadians on a regular basis. So it's not like in Europe where if you live in Germany you routinely encounter Danes, Poles, Frenchmen, Italians, etc. making day trips out to check out your beer.

Yeah, except Canada and Mexico aren't really any better. Different, yes, but not better.
For example, in Mexico, there is a reason why the running gag for healthcare is that you wake up in a back alley in a tub of ice with a blood pack and a hastily scrawled note that says, "Thanks for the kidney, lol".
In Canada, there are more people needing doctors than there are available doctors and, because of insurance and government mandated healthcare, those doctors force extremely long waiting times on their patients. Hence, why some Canadians travel down to America for healthcare.
Yeah, we are expensive, but if you've got the money, we'll get your fixed up quick.
"But, DINGO!", you might say, "Where are the facts to back up your wild assertions?!"

Sally C. Pipes: President, CEO, and Taube Fellow in Health Care Studies at the Pacific Research Institute posted:

Those Canadians who can afford to do so have simply opted out of their healthcare system. An enormous number jump the queue for care in their native land and travel to the United States to receive medical attention.
In 2012, over 42,000 Canadians crossed the border to get treated.

Is there evidence to the contrary? Of course there is, there always will be. I'm also not saying that America is the ABSOLUTE BEST at everything, no matter what.
What I will say is that every single country on the planet is just as hosed up as America, but we get poo poo on all the time because we have set ourselves up to be leaders and we are currently doing a pretty lovely job of leading.
Give us a break, though, wouldja? We're only, like, a couple of centuries old. Effectively toddlers in comparison to the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
drat, it's no wonder why in XCOM 2 we let the aliens take over so easily. All they had to promise was decent healthcare for everyone.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

ReturnOfFable posted:

drat, it's no wonder why in XCOM 2 we let the aliens take over so easily. All they had to promise was decent healthcare for everyone.

I would totally be a Quisling if they told me they'd take the spurs outnof my ankle. Fuckin' sign me up!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I would totally be a Quisling if they told me they'd take the spurs outnof my ankle. Fuckin' sign me up!

The fine print says they'll fix you by genemodding you into a snakeperson tho

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rumda posted:

How the hell haven't you had a second revolution yet

Even if we had one and it somehow succeeded, any replacement is almost guaranteed to be just as mediocre as what we've got now.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Chard posted:

The fine print says they'll fix you by genemodding you into a snakeperson tho

.....and where's the catch?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ahhh. All this Medical Horror Stories remind me that all the way back in '08, back in what passes for high school down here, I had my Gall-bladder removed.

I was in horrible horrible horrible pain before that happened, and I was in only slightly less pain after the surgery. The worse part was that I had a cold during the post-surgery process, so I couldn't stop coughing and sneezing. Remember how they tell you that you shouldn't laugh when you have stitches? It's worse with coughin and sneezing, and unlike laughing, you can't stop that poo poo.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Siegkrow posted:

Ahhh. All this Medical Horror Stories remind me that all the way back in '08, back in what passes for high school down here, I had my Gall-bladder removed.

What up, gall bladder buddy. The pain hit me so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. Gallingly (:downsrim:), at first they thought I was having a panic attack and just gave me some brain meds. The third time I headed to the ER, though, I said FIX IT, and they ran the right test shortly thereafter. Now I have a couple interesting scars on my torso and a belly button like a Pop-o-Matic bubble, which all in all is a good trade.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pain is so bad at the moment I can't even get up. Calling friend of the family to help me since everyone inconveniently is out of town tonight. I hope I'm not getting a fever. Hurts too much. I'm scared.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Speedball posted:

Pain is so bad at the moment I can't even get up. Calling friend of the family to help me since everyone inconveniently is out of town tonight. I hope I'm not getting a fever. Hurts too much. I'm scared.

Deep breath buddy. As someone who has had a poo poo ton of surgical procedures, I've been there trust me. IANAD so do not take this as gospel, but it may be a minor infection. They give you wonderful antibiotics and painkillers for that straight at the hospital.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Well, this thread has suddenly gotten horrifying in a way that no alien invasion will be able to match.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Air in abdomen found in cat scan. Might be the cause of it all.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

That's a Chryssalid larvae

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a pogo stick, Speedball, what deity did you offend to get this kind of lovely luck?

Get well, please.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

Speedball posted:

*sits there holding a small candle for you*

Eeeesh, you have all the bad luck, eh mate? Hope it improves a bit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Speedball posted:

I originally misread this as cat in abdomen

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have even more bullshit to report. Moved me to observation in original hospital, authorizing doctor won't answer phone. Been writhing here 2 hours without medication or IV. This is a death camp.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
You let them take you to a county hospital?! :stonk:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Jesus christ dude. Remind the nurse that she is charged with making sure you feel comfortable... or at least get you an IV drip with a bit of painkiller in it. The gently caress kind of chickenshit outfit is that?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There's something aptly Kafkaesque flavored at the idea of writhing in pain in a hospital for hours and hours. My mom went through that once. :shepicide:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I hope things go as least bullshit as possible from here, because it sounds like you are already dealing with bullshit :saddowns:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hideous, dude :( Let us know if we've gotta come break you out of there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Situation slowly improving. Phone nearly dead, can't update you guys much. Family is here.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
You can always start screaming at the top of your lungs. They will do something to shut you up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gas still in me but churning around. Ate two high fiber meals, hopefully I can finally fart in the next 12 hours.

This is ridiculous.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It will be a fart to rock the heavens.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just waiting for doctor to come here to discharge me officially so I can eat something. Yes this is the same guy. Yes I have been here five hours, coming apart at the seams and proving why I need panic meds.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 26, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Speedball posted:

Gas still in me but churning around. Ate two high fiber meals, hopefully I can finally fart in the next 12 hours.

This is ridiculous.

After my appendix was removed was in same boat. Took 4 days. I destroyed that hospital toilet.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Remember, after any abdominal surgery, the most important thing to do is fart!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Fire Storm posted:

Remember, after any abdominal surgery, the most important thing to do is fart!

Someone should have told me that, I held that in for very long before my doctor told me I needed to :smithicide:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

bunnyofdoom posted:

After my appendix was removed was in same boat. Took 4 days. I destroyed that hospital toilet.

When I got to boot camp I was one of the recruits who couldn't poop. Something about the combination of bad food and stress meant I held everything in. For nearly two weeks. When I finally got sent to the hospital for sick call I got handed a tiny green glass bottle. I was instructed to be sure that I could get to a toilet within ten minutes of downing the bottle. I was also told the stuff inside was really gross and could make me puke, but that was bad so I had to keep it down.

If you have seen the movie Dumb & Dumber, I was the bathroom scene near the end.

Edit:
Why the hell do I share this stuff with strangers on the internet? :psyduck:

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 26, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Specifically what laws would I be breaking by running out of here? I'm so trapped I'm hyperventilating. He is literally holding me hostage. Break me out NOW.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Specifically what laws would I be breaking by running out of here? I'm so trapped I'm hyperventilating. He is literally holding me hostage. Break me out NOW.

None that I know of (IANAL, TINLA), but you'd piss off your doctor. Walk out of your room, find a nurse, complain to them -- but politely, if your level of aggravation allows for it. Doctors can be dicks, but nurses are mostly just overworked. Odds are you've managed to slip through the system somehow and just up and gotten forgotten about. Do you have a call button?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, when the guy actually showed up, he was nicer than Santa Claus, overworked, apologetic and informative. Looks like we were both having a bad day. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Wow, when the guy actually showed up, he was nicer than Santa Claus, overworked, apologetic and informative. Looks like we were both having a bad day. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

It's nice that you are self aware enough to consider other people's feelings when going through post surgery unpleasantness. Though you are not an rear end in a top hat unless your response to Saint Nurse Mc Nicemans was to swear at him or other unpleasantness.

I can understand the feeling though, I sway wildly between petty selfishness and overly concerned for others "Oh no the muffins I wanted are way back on the top shelf, better ask the barely five foot tall person for the ones not above eye level"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OKAY. Sorry for creating a page full of nothing but "Speedball Is In Physical And Mental Anguish" I swear I'll have a new update for you tomorrow. Thank you all for your support.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
No worries. Take your time, get well. Great posts are worth waiting for.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Speedball posted:

OKAY. Sorry for creating a page full of nothing but "Speedball Is In Physical And Mental Anguish" I swear I'll have a new update for you tomorrow. Thank you all for your support.

You know how many times I did that in my lp when I was goimg through radiation treatment? Too many. Also never lp when you are undergoing radiation. Too tired to write updates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

You know how many times I did that in my lp when I was goimg through radiation treatment? Too many. Also never lp when you are undergoing radiation. Too tired to write updates.

Oh my GOD. Which one was that? Are you okay now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Speedball posted:

Oh my GOD. Which one was that? Are you okay now?

Don't worry. This way two and half years ago tried doing a sslp of Sherlock Holmes vs jack the ripper. I'm fine.

• Locked thread