Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
If I select my tax status as Married Filing Separately, am I really prohibited from making Roth IRA contributions if I earn more than $10,000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Can't you contribute to a non-deductible traditional IRA then convert to a Roth IRA? I guess then it would be taxed twice - once upon earning it originally and once during the conversion - so it's probably not worth it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

Can't you contribute to a non-deductible traditional IRA then convert to a Roth IRA? I guess then it would be taxed twice - once upon earning it originally and once during the conversion - so it's probably not worth it.

you'll only get taxed on the gains. you can put your traditional IRA contributions into something that won't fluctuate (like a money market fund) and then convert as soon as the transaction is finalized, and the tax implications should be roughly nil (i am not your tax preparer etc etc)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I live outside of the US and the Roth IRA is (from what I can tell) my only way to save for retirement (Germany does not have a good tax advantaged retirement savings plan that I'm aware of and it has laws that treat US based funds as some kind of Passive Foreign Investment Company and the US would treat any German-based fund as a PFIC). And since I can't take advantage of saving money pre-tax in Germany, a Traditional IRA doesn't make sense (or at least didn't when I filed as single).

I could always file jointly, but I have a non-citizen alien spouse, so if I could avoid making my tax situation even more complicated by not including her income/assets in the mix, I'd like to.

Mr. Glass posted:

you'll only get taxed on the gains. you can put your traditional IRA contributions into something that won't fluctuate (like a money market fund) and then convert as soon as the transaction is finalized, and the tax implications should be roughly nil (i am not your tax preparer etc etc)

OK, that might work. I'll have to look more into this. I could do a backdoor contribution every year?

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 23, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Gold and a Pager posted:

I live outside of the US and the Roth IRA is (from what I can tell) my only way to save for retirement (Germany does not have a good tax advantaged retirement savings plan that I'm aware of and it has laws that treat US based funds as some kind of Passive Foreign Investment Company and the US would treat any German-based fund as a PFIC). And since I can't take advantage of saving money pre-tax in Germany, a Traditional IRA doesn't make sense (or at least didn't when I filed as single).

I could always file jointly, but I have a non-citizen alien spouse, so if I could avoid making my tax situation even more complicated by not including her income/assets in the mix, I'd like to.

OK, that might work. I'll have to look more into this. I could do a backdoor contribution every year?

Yes, it's called a backdoor Roth if you want to Google the details of it, including making sure it's taxed the way you expect in Germany.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If you are filing for the foreign earned income exclusion, be careful contributing to an IRA. If your income is below the $92.5k deduction (or whatever it is now), then you won't be eligible to contribute.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah you may wish to consult with a tax advisor if you're living abroad, i have no idea how that complicates things (probably significantly).

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

pig slut lisa posted:

pension stuff

I'm leaving my state run pension 2 years shy of vesting. My thought process was since I'm 28, a pension is based on your highest 3 earning years, and the system is constantly under attack I'm better off rolling the contributions into an IRA instead of banking on working at a participating agency close enough to 55 that inflation doesn't erode my benefit.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Saint Fu posted:

If you are filing for the foreign earned income exclusion, be careful contributing to an IRA. If your income is below the $92.5k deduction (or whatever it is now), then you won't be eligible to contribute.

According to the IRS website the IRA limit calculation uses your income before the foreign earned income exclusion.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My understanding was that you include that foreign earned income when calculating your max contribution amount with respect to the upper limit phase-outs. It looks like that's what that article is referring to.

But it does not count as qualifying income when determining how much you can contribute. Like how dividend income isn't qualifying income. If you made $5,000 of dividends and had no other income, you wouldn't be able to contribute to an IRA, for example.

Again, this poo poo is confusing as hell to me, I paid someone to do my taxes the first year I was abroad and that's what they told me. I'm no longer abroad so I don't keep up on the rules any more but that's just my experience.

e: I re-read the emails from my accountant and she said that I could contribute to a non-deductible IRA but could not contribute to a Roth IRA. This was when I was abroad for the whole year and made less than the $91.5k FEIE.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 23, 2015

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I just use Foreign Tax Credits because taxes here are higher and it's not a problem.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
I am a long term savings noobie and had a question about my situation. I currently have no long term savings, but understand that Roth IRA and 401k are the important ones to do. I am a 1099 contractor and my current job doesn't do 401k match.

Does this mean I should start a Roth IRA?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Brotein_Shake posted:

I am a long term savings noobie and had a question about my situation. I currently have no long term savings, but understand that Roth IRA and 401k are the important ones to do. I am a 1099 contractor and my current job doesn't do 401k match.

Does this mean I should start a Roth IRA?
Yes. Max it and open an individual 401k or SEP or SIMPLE IRA. Vanguard makes it easy to setup.

E: I'm off my game today, thanks to the below posters to mention the right options.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 23, 2015

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SiGmA_X posted:

Yes. Max it and start throwing money into taxable accounts, too. Unless you make under 37k and maxing your IRA may be a stretch.
After maxing IRA, shouldn't he consider some sort of solo 401k before a taxable account?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I was about to say: as a 1099 worker, once you max your IRA, you can set up a solo 401(k) as a self-employed individual. See: http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/One-Participant-401%28k%29-Plans

It's really cool, actually: depending on how much you make and how much you can afford, you can actually put way more money into a 401(k) per year than a regular employee, because as your own employer you can make big employer contributions for yourself.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Facepalm, yes definitely. It's one of *those days*, I helped my mom setup a Individual 401(k) a couple of years ago at Vanguard. She + her company (single member LLC) can stick a solid amount of money into retirement savings by doing that.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 23, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Leperflesh posted:

It's really cool, actually: depending on how much you make and how much you can afford, you can actually put way more money into a 401(k) per year than a regular employee, because as your own employer you can make big employer contributions for yourself.

I had always wondered why the self-employed limit was so much higher than the employee limit. Now that you put it that way it's blindingly obvious :doh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. Typically employers give you anywhere from nothing, to matching a few percent, perhaps with a vesting period. But they could be pouring tens of thousands of dollars into your 401(k) for you!

They just don't. It turns out you make a better boss of you than the corporate bosses do.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Huh, I never thought about that. So essentially I could drive uber and put 100% of the earnings into a self employment 401k?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I understand it right, there are limits.

quote:

Example: Ben, age 51, earned $50,000 in W-2 wages from his S Corporation in 2014. He deferred $17,500 in regular elective deferrals plus $5,500 in catch-up contributions to the 401(k) plan. His business contributed 25% of his compensation to the plan, $12,500. Total contributions to the plan for 2014 were $35,500. This is the maximum that can be contributed to the plan for Ben for 2014.

quote:

Contribution limits for self-employed individuals

You must make a special computation to figure the maximum amount of elective deferrals and nonelective contributions you can make for yourself. When figuring the contribution, compensation is your “earned income,” which is defined as net earnings from self-employment after deducting both:

one-half of your self-employment tax, and
contributions for yourself.

Use the rate table or worksheets in Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 560, “Retirement Plans for Small Business,” for figuring your allowable contribution rate and tax deduction for your 401(k) plan contributions. See also Calculating Your Own Retirement Plan Contribution.

So there are limits, I guess you can't just dump 100% of your business income into a 401(k) and call it a day. But you can get a lot more in than you typically can as a W-2 wage slave.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 24, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Edit: Beaten!!

Dead Pressed posted:

Huh, I never thought about that. So essentially I could drive uber and put 100% of the earnings into a self employment 401k?
There are % limits based on the companies income in addition to the annual dollar limit.

quote:

Employer nonelective contributions up to:
25% of compensation as defined by the plan, or for self-employed individuals, see discussion below
Eg, you make 10k at Uber, you can put a max of 2.5k in as the employer contribution.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for the clarification, and bringing this up in the first place. I'll have to dig into this a bit. We airbnb our place out, drive uber, and my wife consults on top of her regular employment. We probably have $ 25k of extraneous income we could defer this way.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dead Pressed posted:

Thanks for the clarification, and bringing this up in the first place. I'll have to dig into this a bit. We airbnb our place out, drive uber, and my wife consults on top of her regular employment. We probably have $ 25k of extraneous income we could defer this way.
It sounds like you could definitely stick some more money in a solo. Lucky!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I work for an employer that does not offer 401k, can I set up a solo 401k? Or am I boned?

I get a w2 form, not a 1099.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

CannonFodder posted:

I work for an employer that does not offer 401k, can I set up a solo 401k? Or am I boned?

Afaik, no go. It's a big problem. I thought when the Obama administration rolled out the myIRA, I hoped it would have some sort of reasonable limit for under served people who work for crappy companies without a 401k. My hopes were dashed, it's just an IRA and counts against existing IRA limits vs 401k limits.

Something you may have the option to do would be an HSA, which can be invested. That's a great option, but doesn't come close to 18k...

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
What are the best savings accounts right now? I wasn't paying attention to the rate on mine and it is awful, ~0.15%

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

dms666 posted:

What are the best savings accounts right now? I wasn't paying attention to the rate on mine and it is awful, ~0.15%

discover and ally bank are both 0.9% i believe

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Dead Pressed posted:

Well, possibly not in that particular example since there was just a labor commission ruling that Uber drivers are considered employees!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/technology/uber-employee-ruling/?iid=EL

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 24, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mr. Glass posted:

discover and ally bank are both 0.9% i believe

Ally bumped up to 0.99% last year :toot:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

Ally bumped up to 0.99% last year :toot:

The 'best' as in highest interest rate and FDIC insured is probably Synchrony (1.05%) - https://www.synchronybank.com/banking/promotions/onlinesaving - but I don't know if it's worth chasing them for 6 bps.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I've had an Ally account for two years and it's really nice. Easy to sign up, easy to use.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bisty Q. posted:

The 'best' as in highest interest rate and FDIC insured is probably Synchrony (1.05%) - https://www.synchronybank.com/banking/promotions/onlinesaving - but I don't know if it's worth chasing them for 6 bps.

Synchrony's website interface/password system/etc. is not worth the extra 0.05%. Go with Ally.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ETB posted:

Synchrony's website interface/password system/etc. is not worth the extra 0.05%. Go with Ally.

I use it and it's not bad for something you dump a pile of money in, then maybe dump a few bucks a month into, but mostly let it sit and earn interest.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I use it and it's not bad for something you dump a pile of money in, then maybe dump a few bucks a month into, but mostly let it sit and earn interest.

I just had a bad time setting up and then closing my account, so my views are a bit tainted, I think.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I've used Capital One 360 since they were ING Direct and have been very satisfied with them as my main bank. Their saving rates are only .75% but you get interest on checking account balances too, and if you have a lot of money the checking actually pays .90%

Plus the integration with Capital One seems to be going well and you can use their branches and ATMs for most of the same banking stuff.

No more bright orange color scheme though. I am hoarding my remaining orange checks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Synchrony's interface got a lot better a couple months ago but I'm leaving them to go to Ally to consolidate all my accounts with one bank because my credit union isn't really worth it anymore and .06% a year is negligible.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 24, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah the solo 401k is intended for people who run a small business without any employees, so you need things like self-employed income to qualify.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm slowly transitioning to banking with Schwab instead of BoA because I have the option of using Schwab to handle my stock rewards at work (that and banking with BoA in the first place was a terrible mistake). I wish they still dealt with credit cards so I could consolidate more, but at least their savings interest rates are ten times as good as BoA's: 0.1% instead of 0.01%. :confuoot:

I wouldn't prioritize interest rates when picking a bank/CU - customer service and convenience are king. Even with a 0% APY the cost to maintain your emergency fund's value after inflation is negligible and you shouldn't be holding on to too much more than that. There's a Schwab brokerage two blocks away from me or I might have gone with Ally, though.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I'm actually transitioning away from Schwab because it's so inconvenient. Even though brokerage branches are easily accessible, I can hardly do anything banking related there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Huh. Well my actual banking needs are minimal and I'd heard good things about their customer service that matches what I've experienced so far from them without going into a brokerage yet.

Really I just want to move away from BoA and Schwab seemed the best choice. If there's a real problem a brokerage can't handle I have actual Schwab Bank branches within a few subway stops.

The runners up were ally, alliant, and chase. The biggest downside is Schwab not doing credit cards but I was already spreading myself out a bit for other reasons.