Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
her final challenge is to say "halter tops are so fetch right now" without vomiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Egg.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Havent seen a little sprite jig in quiet some time.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Egg!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That's our girl! I am quietly proud.

Also, isn't that Karkat's crabtop Dave is sitting in front of on the inset panel?

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Roxy: Celebratory sportsball spike

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Eridan: come out of nowhere and hopesplode the egg again

KoB
May 1, 2009
HB eat the egg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yay Roxy! What a pretty update.

Blackheart posted:

Eridansprite: come out of nowhere and hopesplode the egg again

FTFY

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Gettin' to see some other, non Zodiac, Troll symbols here.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Felt real good to see one of those little dancing sprites again.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Prison Warden posted:

Gettin' to see some other, non Zodiac, Troll symbols here.

Any of those Kickstarter trollsona symbols?
e.

Davinci posted:

Felt real good to see one of those little dancing sprites again.
agreed!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm so glad to see the triumphant return of the EGG! sound effect

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, isn't that Karkat's crabtop Dave is sitting in front of on the inset panel?

It is, actually. Maybe he's asking Karkat for advice on meeting one's dancestor :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think this was obvious from the start if you look at how Roxy's panels on the overview progress.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

RZApublican posted:

It is, actually. Maybe he's asking Karkat for advice on meeting one's dancestor :v:

Maybe he and Dirk are bonding over SBaHJ.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Pretend I made like a hundred loving posts that are just

HELL

YES

over and over.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I think I'll use the eight-pronged diamond-centered troll symbol one on the left for my trollsona. Yes. That seems the most special-snowflake of the lot.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Calliope is so boring she makes otherwise interesting characters boring just by being around them.

It's sorta been said before, but the last few updates have emphasized pretty strongly that, just as Caliborn is a literal representation of the uptight "super-fan" of Homestuck who hates what the fandom has to offer to the point of literally trying to destroy the comic, Calliope is a literal representation of the more passive "super-fan" of Homestuck who represents the creative, loving side of the fandom.

In this light it's pretty obvious that Calliope is a figurative embodiment of the Mary Sue who is destined to "save" the comic. Her boring nature is literally foundational to her character in the way it is foundational to a Mary Sue. Indeed, the way these things "happen around" her, that she has a dark brooding alter ego who is destined to save the world through sacrifice, the fact that she literally comes back from the dead, hell, even all of the recent conversations point to classic Mary Sue tropes like the main characters thanking the Mary Sue for her help (despite the Mary Sue's modesty):

quote:

ROXY: you were still helpful though!
ROXY: you were the force in our lives that gave us hope that we could all get together some day

the main characters complimenting the character unironically even though it is weird and out of place:

quote:

JANE: I think both Roxy and the enthusiastic cat girl are correct.
JANE: Your natural appearance is quite handsome!

and even characters clearly making the assumption that she is critically important in the final battle:

quote:

ROSE: I don't mean to badger you. I'm just wondering how you fit into all this.
ROSE: Getting to wear a one-of-a-kind ring, and returning to join a group about to wage a pivotal battle,
ROSE: That strikes me as the profile of someone meant to do something important.
ROSE: What do you think you'll do?

I'm not saying that Calliope is written badly because Hussie is a bad writer (we can go back and forth on that, but it probably wouldn't be Calliope's fault), so much as she is written badly because Hussie appears to be stressing the Mary Sue-ness of her character (which is interesting in relation to the fundamentally meta nature of the story and Rose's recent musings as to whether or not humans have story arcs to begin with). The question is: why?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 24, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Maybe he and Dirk are bonding over SBaHJ.

Yeah that's what I assumed too.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's sorta been said before, but the last few updates have emphasized pretty strongly that, just as Caliborn is a literal representation of the uptight "super-fan" of Homestuck who hates what the fandom has to offer to the point of literally trying to destroy the comic, Calliope is a literal representation of the more passive "super-fan" of Homestuck who represents the creative, loving side of the fandom.

In this light it's pretty obvious that Calliope is a figurative embodiment of the Mary Sue who is destined to "save" the comic. Her boring nature is literally foundational to her character in the way it is foundational to a Mary Sue. Indeed, the way these things "happen around" her, that she has a dark brooding alter ego who is destined to save the world through sacrifice, the fact that she literally comes back from the dead, hell, even all of the recent conversations point to classic Mary Sue tropes like the main characters thanking the Mary Sue for her help (despite the Mary Sue's modesty):

the main characters complimenting the character unironically even though it is weird and out of place:

and even characters clearly making the assumption that she is critically important in the final battle:

I'm not saying that Calliope is written badly because Hussie is a bad writer (we can go back and forth on that, but it probably wouldn't be Calliope's fault), so much as she is written badly because Hussie appears to be stressing the Mary Sue-ness of her character (which is interesting in relation to the fundamentally meta nature of the story and Rose's recent musings as to whether or not humans have story arcs to begin with). The question is: why?

Very likely to have her fail, miserably.

We can go back and forth about how Hussie might "lampshade the lampshades lampshade" until we all forget what the outcome would be, but I think this is going to just be a straight up brick wall for the Mary Sue in question. She's going to fail at her attempts to stop her brother through selfless self-sacrifice (the culmination of a Mary Sues storyline is almost always "She was right along that her power was better and strong even if it seemed bad, weird, or limited").

Hussie always strikes me less as "arbitrarily poo poo on tropes, cliches, and concepts" and more "play them out to their logical conclusion until the harsh 'reality' sets in that this is not a fair story"

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Doing the voidy thing itt

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meenah is going to fork the hell out of both those Vriskas.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Any of those Kickstarter trollsona symbols?

Nah, but it was mentioned in a interview that they made up a whole drat chart of troll shirt crests for the game. I wonder if these correspond to any new characters?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Okay but while John, Rose, Jane, and Terezi are talking about both Calliope and Roxy John is only thinking about one of those parties

Also I'm curious as to what's going to happen when we pass the repeat pairs on this faux-select screen, with regards to the where-are-they-now pseudo-panels.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Who?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She calls it a Mayonegg.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I like Calliope and think she is sweet.

Tumblr has pointed out, and I think they're right, that all the new troll symbols are jade-green, including the symbol that is shared by The Dolorosa and Kanaya. It's not just the troll race coming back, it's an entire section of the hemospectrum.

Plom Bar posted:

Also I'm curious as to what's going to happen when we pass the repeat pairs on this faux-select screen, with regards to the where-are-they-now pseudo-panels.
We saw that today. There are two different pseudo-panels that include John, Rose, Jane, and Terezi.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tumblr has pointed out, and I think they're right, that all the new troll symbols are jade-green, including the symbol that is shared by The Dolorosa and Kanaya. It's not just the troll race coming back, it's an entire section of the hemospectrum.

:doh: Someone it failed to click with me that there's green blood coming out of that skull. I must be blind.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Finally we learn what the "eggy loking thign" [sic] is.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I like Calliope and think she is sweet.

We saw that today. There are two different pseudo-panels that include John, Rose, Jane, and Terezi.

What is even the implication you are getting at here? A section of the hemospectrum is included in the entire troll race, yeah, duh.

What Roxy was doing was going from general to specific, trying to grasp the essence of the troll race and what the egg means, like what she told Calliope.

She started with Alternia as a whole, then some examples of Trollhood, then the jade-bloods (care-takers of the mother grubs), then EGG!.

edit- the silhouette of Alternia and its moons stays the whole time, also

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 24, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still reading Jojo, and goddamn there's some Felt-level bullshit in there. Spoilers for part 5: King Crimson's power to "erase time" is just as nonsensical as any of the Felt's, and just as hilarious to see. He even punches someone's future trail!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

What is even the implication you are getting at here? A section of the hemospectrum is included in the entire troll race, yeah, duh.
Bother, my memory's messed up. There was an entire range of greenbloods that was deliberately exterminated, and I confused that with the jade blood of Kanaya, Porrim, and the Condesce.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bother, my memory's messed up. There was an entire range of greenbloods that was deliberately exterminated, and I confused that with the jade blood of Kanaya, Porrim, and the Condesce.

but, but, but, the condesce has fuscia blood. Like purple. Perhaps you mean the dolorosa?

but naw, yeah, the limebloods will probably come back too, yeah, I'd assume, although Calliope's trollsona is a limeblood which is a mark against them that probably suggests they just don't deserve to come back.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Real talk, those jadeblooded symbols look really swell. Does anyone recognize them?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Meenah is going to fork the hell out of both those Vriskas.

Nah, she clearly gives no shits about the current goings on.

Girl just wants to swim with the fishes and/or mad loot.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Real talk, those jadeblooded symbols look really swell. Does anyone recognize them?

There was an interview where they said they made a whole chart of troll shirt runes for every blood caste for the game. They said they made more than they needed though, so no guarantee they'll show up in game.

If you're asking if they have any real world origins, I'm pretty sure they just doodled some stuff that looked virgo-ish, or was connected to Kanaya, like the diamondy ones or the one that looks like a bat. A couple of them resemble Japanese characters, specifically the hiragana yu (ゆ,) which denotes a hot spring or bath house, and the katakana nu (ヌ) which as far as I know is just a letter.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still reading Jojo, and goddamn there's some Felt-level bullshit in there. Spoilers for part 5: King Crimson's power to "erase time" is just as nonsensical as any of the Felt's, and just as hilarious to see. He even punches someone's future trail!

Kinda-sorta big fat Jojo spoilers: How Stands Work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have to say, I halfway expected Roxy to CHAOS DUNK that egg.