Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Trabisnikof posted:

The limit is 50lbs. But you're only allowed to buy it to use for your guns, which is an interesting consideration.

Besides, black powder alone doesn't make that great of a bomb, so you get results like the Boston Bombing, which resulted in fewer fatalities than this shooting. To get big, building destroying results you need more complex or larger explosives. There's no evidence Roof had the complex knowledge to make high explosives (otherwise he'd have found a better racist occupation) and there's no reasonable way he could have wheeled a suitcase anfo in bomb and then asked everyone to stand around it and still killed nine.

And its pretty hard to kill 9 people when you do it. As evidenced by those same continual arsons.

I know only 3 people died but the Boston Bombing still left 264 people injured. If they weren't in a city with such a great medical community, more people probably would have died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Spacebump posted:

I know only 3 people died but the Boston Bombing still left 264 people injured. If they weren't in a city with such a great medical community, more people probably would have died.

That was outside, though it was a packed crowd.
This probably isn't the best conversation, however.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

With trade votes expected this week, the House Freedom Caucus is meeting in the Tortilla Coast basement tonight. :tinfoil:

Does that little cabal have enough members to affect anything?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vertical Lime posted:

And as it turns out, the Jefferson Davis Highway in Arlington was part of a planned cross-country highway bearing that name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Jefferson_Davis_Highway

I think it is reasonable to keep Davis around.

He was a statesman prior to the war and during the war he was constantly begging the confederate states to coordinate the war effort but the southern political class were anarchocapitalists so he was herding cats. His life story is a lesson on why federalism trumps anarchy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, but churches are generally not as crowded as marathon finish lines. The Boston bombing was perhaps one of the best targets for backpack bombs, and it was still not as large a loss of life as our usual mass shooting.

Its just not realistic to assume that Roof could have easily built a bomb that would have killed as many people as he did. You can look to Columbine as another example of explosives' relative ineffectiveness versus guns.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

Does that little cabal have enough members to affect anything?

It has somewhere between 30-40 members, so if the Democrats vote as a bloc and the HFC votes as a bloc, they can stop whatever the Republican leadership wants to do.

Note: the HFC never, ever votes as a bloc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pohl posted:

That was outside, though it was a packed crowd.
This probably isn't the best conversation, however.

I'm with you this really isn't the best conversation.

Is anyone else amazed at all the random people changing their Facebook profile pictures to the Confederate flag? I find the most ignorant people on the topic only briefly covered the Civil War in high school but somehow believe they have more in-depth knowledge than any history majors that try to debate with them. They also never provide sources for their incorrect version of history.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which one James O'Keefe has a teachable moment but instead decides that the Obama administration JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH AND IS OPPRESSING POOR JOURNALISTS FREEDOM OF SPEECH FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Is anyone else amazed at all the random people changing their Facebook profile pictures to the Confederate flag? I find the most ignorant people on the topic only briefly covered the Civil War in high school but somehow believe they have more in-depth knowledge than any history majors that try to debate with them. They also never provide sources for their incorrect version of history.

I'm from NC and I've seen zero people do this. What region of the country are you in?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Guy down the street from me today was flying one of these:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Guy down the street from me today was flying one of these:

HERMIT'S LODGE NOT HATE!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Spacebump posted:

Any San Antonio goons here? Last time I was there, I noticed a massive Confederate flag flying next to a big highway/interstate. Anyone know which company is flying it?
When were you last here, and what area of San Antonio were you in? Because I don't remember seeing a giant confederate flag anywhere, although I may not have gone by it depending on where it was/maybe is.

I did find this story though:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Husband-of-former-San-Antonio-mayoral-candidate-6344887.php

quote:

A large local flag manufacturer said Tuesday they will no longer sell Confederate battle flags as major retailers across the country pulled their products following a fatal shooting in South Carolina.

"We are not selling Confederate battle flags anymore," Pete Van de Putte — owner of Dixie Flag Manufacturing Company and husband of former mayoral candidate Leticia Van de Putte — told the San Antonio Express-News on Tuesday afternoon.
:toot:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “What I’m trying to figure out is there something that could get the support of the 60 votes that we would need in the Senate.” ~ Pat Toomey (R-PA), on gun control.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Spacebump posted:

My feed is like 90% ex military and deep red state conservatives and I haven't seen a single one do it yet. Gotta question what element you are friends with dude.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spacebump posted:

Only facebook image shift I've seen has been the palmetto flag -- > 9 doves one and frankly it's a beautiful image.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Broin' out, watchin' the TPA vote today.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

You can look to Columbine as another example of explosives' relative ineffectiveness versus guns.

Mostly because Harris and Klebold did such a poo poo job that they couldn't even make Molotovs that went off, let alone bombs big enough to take down a cafeteria.

McDowell posted:

He was a statesman prior to the war and during the war he was constantly begging the confederate states to coordinate the war effort but the southern political class were anarchocapitalists so he was herding cats. His life story is a lesson on why federalism trumps anarchy.

Yeah, but he was also literally the leader of a rebel state that existed for no reason other than preventing the US government from stopping them from enslaving black people. He owned over 100 slaves and was known as a pre-war statesmen for supporting slavery. He was as much of a poo poo as the rest of the pro-slavery South.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

Tell you what, you pick a murderous despot from history and I'll generate a near identical paragraph to the one you wrote for them

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

funtax posted:

The dude that wrecked it?

29 year old Mohammed Abdulla Jamali, who was subsequently arrested and charged with reckless driving due to the use of improperly adjusted brakes.

It's not hard to get your car to look like the General Lee, though. Even if you're NYPD!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Tell you what, you pick a murderous despot from history and I'll generate a near identical paragraph to the one you wrote for them

Kim Jong Il :munch:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

I really think Obama lucked out getting Biden as his VP. Politics aside, I'm sure I'd like to think Biden was his best friend during all of this.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 24, 2015

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My old family name is Calhoun and I'm one of his last male descendants, somehow. I was offered a full ride to Clemson without applying.

It's odd seeing him being tossed around now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd miss the monuments if they were torn down. I love a good monument.

I wonder if anyone's going to complain about Stone Mountain. What would you even do about that? Drape a giant curtain over it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What would you even do about that? Drape a giant curtain over it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYYBlPWYb7Y&t=105s

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd miss the monuments if they were torn down. I love a good monument.

I wonder if anyone's going to complain about Stone Mountain. What would you even do about that? Drape a giant curtain over it?

Leave it up ironically.

A lot of the stone went to build the lincoln memorial.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Joementum posted:

Speaking of which, I guess the TPA is "the most progressive trade deal in history" now. News to me!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If we can't just blow it up how about carving an addition that says "Racist Assholes ->"?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

listen you fuckers if you've never gotten drunk as poo poo on PBR and watched a laser show about the South winning the civil war at stone mountain then I don't know what to tell you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

STAC Goat posted:

If we can't just blow it up how about carving an addition that says "Racist Assholes ->"?

Or, like the Crazy Horse Memorial opposite Mt. Rushmore, carve a big WT Sherman next to it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Warner Bros. is officially removing the Confederate flags off of all Dukes of Hazzard merch: http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/dukes-hazzard-confederate-flag-warner-bros-stop-licensing.html

I'm genuinely surprised at how sudden and extreme the backlash against Confederate imagery has been the last few days. Even if none of this results in an actual discussion of institutional racism, it's at least a cultural course correction that should have happened decades ago.

deoju posted:

A series of adds for Autotrader.com came out a while back featuring the General Lee and the Duke Boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6syCBrvmJ68
All of the shots are real low angles so you can't see the roof. I wonder if it was at the request of WB or the website. Either way, somebody knew the flag was bad for business. Here is an article for adweek.
This has been happening for a while, even before the Charleston shooting. I recall a Dukes of Hazzard videogame for the XBox and PS2 that omitted the flag from the roof and I want to say the movie with Johnny Knoxville kept it off their version of the Lee.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Americans shouldn't deny their history. Like I said, Jefferson Davis is a character worth remembering. Don't try to blank out history.

“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” - Stephen King

War is War. War is hell. How easy it is to forget.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

Mostly because Harris and Klebold did such a poo poo job that they couldn't even make Molotovs that went off, let alone bombs big enough to take down a cafeteria.

Yeah, but he was also literally the leader of a rebel state that existed for no reason other than preventing the US government from stopping them from enslaving black people. He owned over 100 slaves and was known as a pre-war statesmen for supporting slavery. He was as much of a poo poo as the rest of the pro-slavery South.

To be fair, making a bomb that blows up when you want takes some serious know how. Any ol jackass can slap some nitro groups on an organic and blow himself up.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I did not know this bit and it makes me deeply, fundamentally happy.

quote:

As soon as O’Keefe and his partner-in-crime left the ACORN location, Mr. Vera called the police to report the entire incident. It turns out that Vera had been playing along with O’Keefe in an effort to ensnare O’Keefe and Giles whom Vera believed were in the act of breaking the law by proposing to engage in the importing of young women to become prostitutes.

Oops.

As part of the settlement, Mr. O’Keefe was required to say that he “regrets any pain” he caused Mr. Vera—although I have some doubts as to whether O’Keefe has been losing any sleep over his illegal behavior and the harm he did to Mr. Vera.

Why might I feel that way?

Because Mr. O’Keefe’s lawyer—Los Angeles attorney Michael Madigan—wasted no time in characterizing the $100,000 payment as a “nuisance settlement.” Apparently, when releasing videos smearing an innocent man by suggesting he is willing to participate in the flesh trade turns out to do that individual serious damage, it counts as nothing more than a nuisance to Mr. O’Keefe and his attorney.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
NM misread the story.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XKhRx3udxk

Keep in mind the Panthers and Bojangles owner, Jerry Richardson, grew up in SC and just donated 100,000 to cover the burial costs for all the victims.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Four days ago: Hillary Clinton speaks in front of a flag with a Civil War motto on it.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

McDowell posted:

Americans shouldn't deny their history. Like I said, Jefferson Davis is a character worth remembering. Don't try to blank out history.

“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” - Stephen King

War is War. War is hell. How easy it is to forget.

This is why we have a Holocaust museum, but we don't have statues of Nazi war criminals in public spaces. You can memorialize history without celebrating it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:qq:

quote:

“This is the beginning of communism,” said Robert Lampley, who was standing in the blazing sun in front of the South Carolina State House shortly after the Legislature voted overwhelmingly to debate the current placement of the Confederate battle flag. “The South is the last bastion of liberty and independence. I know we’re going to lose eventually.”

“Our people are dying off,” he went on, before encouraging a white reporter to “keep reproducing.”

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

listen you fuckers if you've never gotten drunk as poo poo on PBR and watched a laser show about the South winning the civil war at stone mountain then I don't know what to tell you.

:respek:

I don't know if they actually show this part anymore but it's hilarious (they bring the confederate generals back to life with lasers).

https://youtu.be/hiFsPQlyKI4?t=42s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Well I hope he's right about that Communism bit

• Locked thread