Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
My favorite HDTGM so far is probably "No Holds Barred" followed by "From Justin to Kelly." Tom Lennon in particular was great on the "No Holds Barred" ep.

Edit: "A View to a Kill" is a good one, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I think an important distinction about those episodes (as well as their shows for Con Air, Face/Off, etc.) is that they were recorded live. The audience really makes a difference in their performances; when they've got audience reactions to feed off of, the dynamic completely changes and the hosts become much more focused and on target with the material. It's like their improv instincts kick in when the applause starts. Plus, it's always fun to listen to the crowd react to whatever batshit theory June is spouting after a round of Jason encouragement.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
HDTGM is now basically a vehicle for Junes crazy theories and here complete lack of understanding of how movies work or even what a movie is, and Jason to play off of that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Holding up Filmsack as an example of a good movie podcast is interesting, to say the least.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Is this an appropriate thread to talk about other podcasts on film like filmspotting and battleship pretension?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't know. I originally didn't like HDTGM, but they won me over; and I'll defend it. They are pretty funny and do movies that are more accessible then, say, WHM. They can be entertaining even if you haven't seen the films they review. I see maybe one out of every 15 movies WHM does, and their episodes can drag in a way HDTGM doesn't. This past week's episode was an exception, the Jupiter Ascending episode was pretty much trash.

Next week's episode is going to be awesome though. TMNT 2, with a vague promise for TMNT 3 in a future episode

e: Jason's reaction to the second opinions theme was pretty hilarious though.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 23, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
It's perhaps my single biggest issue with WHM: they'll drift so far off topic that I'll sometimes forget what episode I'm listen to.

I'd pay for a commercial-free version of HDTGM.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What are some bad Nick Nolte movies because I need more of his impressions by WHM gang in my life.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

fatherboxx posted:

What are some bad Nick Nolte movies because I need more of his impressions by WHM gang in my life.

Well he's in the Ang Lee Hulk movie.

He's the best part of the Ang Lee Hulk movie, incidentally.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

I don't know. I originally didn't like HDTGM, but they won me over; and I'll defend it. They are pretty funny and do movies that are more accessible then, say, WHM. They can be entertaining even if you haven't seen the films they review. I see maybe one out of every 15 movies WHM does, and their episodes can drag in a way HDTGM doesn't. This past week's episode was an exception, the Jupiter Ascending episode was pretty much trash.

Next week's episode is going to be awesome though. TMNT 2, with a vague promise for TMNT 3 in a future episode

e: Jason's reaction to the second opinions theme was pretty hilarious though.

He's right though, it's terrible. They should've stuck with this one all along.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Eric's rant about the Google doodle is probably my favorite "the guys get mad at something harmless" tangent so far.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm still in the back catalog for We Hate Movies, and I only just started following along with the newest ones as well with this Summer Blockbuster Month, so I don't know how frequently they do this or when it started, but I really like the way they've had more people on episodes. They seem to have an even better time and bounce off each other better when there are more people in the room.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Vosgian Beast posted:

AH GOD drat IT HULK I'M GONNA BITE THROUGH THIS POWER LINE.

What a great WHM, just constant impressions and nonsense. I want more adventures of the classy scumbag who runs around shouting mean things at museums and poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Poor Ang Lee's Hulk. I feel like if it was edited a little bit better or if they had just tweaked a few minor things then it would be a brilliant movie instead of the ambitious artistic failure that we got.

The shock and horror at the clip was the most hilarious thing in the Son of the Mask episode to me...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Great episode and I am almost 100% sure next weeks is Terminator 3

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Random Stranger posted:

Poor Ang Lee's Hulk. I feel like if it was edited a little bit better or if they had just tweaked a few minor things then it would be a brilliant movie instead of the ambitious artistic failure that we got.

The shock and horror at the clip was the most hilarious thing in the Son of the Mask episode to me...

Among failed Superhero movies, The Hulk is probably the most interesting and worth seeing.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I didn't mind the Jupiter Jones HDGTM, except for the guy calling Mila Kunis "Myla". For some reason it drove me crazy.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Are there any good podcasts with the tone of WHM or HDTGM, but with a focus on movies the cast enjoyed? The Face Off and Fast and Furious episodes are some of my favorites because not only is everyone losing their mind over the more insane aspects of the films, but they're genuinely having a great time, and it's fun to listen to.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Is this an appropriate thread to talk about other podcasts on film like filmspotting and battleship pretension?

What is BP like? I've been listening to More than One Lesson (which I guess sort of qualifies for this thread if you consider that they've covered several 'Christian-marketed' movies, most of which are not good).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Crisco Kid posted:

Are there any good podcasts with the tone of WHM or HDTGM, but with a focus on movies the cast enjoyed? The Face Off and Fast and Furious episodes are some of my favorites because not only is everyone losing their mind over the more insane aspects of the films, but they're genuinely having a great time, and it's fun to listen to.

Have you tried just making friends?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Irish Joe posted:

Oh, Irish Joe. :allears:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Kangra posted:

What is BP like? I've been listening to More than One Lesson (which I guess sort of qualifies for this thread if you consider that they've covered several 'Christian-marketed' movies, most of which are not good).

What is more than one lesson like? They mention it at the end of most BP episodes and I've never bothered checking it out because a look at movies from an explicitly christian perspective didn't strike me as that interesting.

I enjoy BP, although they can wander off track quite a bit. Also, they talk about reality tv way too much, but at least they save it for the end of the episodes, so you can skip over them easily.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CountFosco posted:

I'm not sure what there is to talk about Filmspotting except how tone deaf they are sometimes to issues of race (I'm thinking specifically of their review of The Impossible). But I otherwise like them and they make some pretty decent points sometimes, and I think their Top 5's are sometimes fun to think about. They're also really good about pushing the non-blockbuster/mainstream stuff, which is something that I appreciate.

I loved everything to do with the "director's cut" bit on the latest WHM. That was amazing.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 24, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

CountFosco posted:

What is more than one lesson like? They mention it at the end of most BP episodes and I've never bothered checking it out because a look at movies from an explicitly christian perspective didn't strike me as that interesting.

I enjoy BP, although they can wander off track quite a bit. Also, they talk about reality tv way too much, but at least they save it for the end of the episodes, so you can skip over them easily.

Most of the full-length episodes don't get deep into the explicitly Christian analysis (and yes, that includes reading from the Bible) until after a lengthier discussion of the film, so you can sort of skip out once that happens [although sometimes it happens in between the main film and the companion]. Of course it is infused with a Christian world view — they tear into Eat Pray Love because they think living only for yourself is selfish and wrong, although it's not them just saying, 'God says this is wrong'.

The 'minisodes' are pretty much free of the Christian-perspective discussion, intentionally so, and only cover one film or other topic. I'd give one of those a try to see if you like the host[s]. The early episodes, as with most podcasts, are not that good and should probably be avoided. I haven't really liked any of the 'special guest' episodes that much, except for the Corbin Bernsen episode, which is a must-listen.

They often trash the movies that are marketed to Christians or have found a Christian audience but they find fault with (The Blindside is a good example, and the episode on Darren Doane's Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas is another good one ). In some ways they almost seem like a counterpoint to some of the more toxic ideas in American Christian culture; I just listened to Braveheart and they have harsh words about the "Wild at Heart" philosophy it inspired. Tyler Smith, the host, is a bit right of center and comes off as very reasonable and contemplative.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Crisco Kid posted:

Slightly different tone/feel, but I'd definitely recommend Black on Black Cinema. They do review some lovely movies marketed at black people, but they also review movies they think are excellent and really enjoyed - but they talk a bit more about social issues and go into more analysis than WHM, meaning that the episodes come across a bit more like Alcohollywood without the drink. So that wasn't really what you were asking for, but it's a great podcast and I thought I'd mention it.

RE lovely movies they've reviewed - definitely listen to their episode on N-Secure (the black version of The Room?) and The Wiz.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Irish Joe posted:

We yell at each other about Fury Road on the regular, but fresh voices yelling at me during commutes would be welcome.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Slightly different tone/feel, but I'd definitely recommend Black on Black Cinema. ...
Thanks! I'll check it out. When it comes to film/lit podcasts, I enjoy both thoughtful analysis and raging enthusiasm, but getting both in one show is my favorite.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Much obliged for the intro to WHM thread, I've been listening to this poo poo for months, it's great. Can't reliably match voices to names though.

This Pokemon episode of Animation Damnation is pretty great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The How did this get made about TMNT was fantastic. June functionally just asked 'what IS a turtle, though'.

Also yea, WHM being utterly baffled by Pokemon ruled, as a huge poke-dork I loved it.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I felt like the episode missed out on a great source of hilarity by missing the fact that team rocket is actually a criminal organization like the poke-mob or something instead of just another team of trainers.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Giovanni would do well with a claw hand.

That first season of Pokemon really was nuts though, it's like Duelist Kingdom, no rules, just as much weird poo poo as possible.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there no WHM Prime episode this week?

Also my inner child was nerding out at their Pokemon ineptitude, I must confess. :v:

Oh, they're starting the summer break I guess?

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Episode 210 - Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

This isn't quite the sweet, sweet release that Son of the Mask is but it's a pretty loving good contender.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh, they're starting the summer break I guess?

Summer break is the month of August this year around, from what they've mentioned.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Only 10 minutes in but man, John Goodman as Dr. Robotnik would be amazing whether it's in a Terminator sequel or not.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

weekly font posted:

Holding up Filmsack as an example of a good movie podcast is interesting, to say the least.

Do people hate Film Sack?

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

I've now listened to two podcasts that talk about Jupiter Ascending and still have no idea what's going on in it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NewtonFig posted:

I've now listened to two podcasts that talk about Jupiter Ascending and still have no idea what's going on in it.

Mila Kunis is the janitor-queen of earth and she fucks a dog-man. What's the confusion?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NewtonFig posted:

This is what happens when you start with a 600 page script.

Seriously, Jupiter Ascending reminds me those lovely scifi novels where the writer is far more interested in background details than the plot or the characters. It's like the film adaptation of an RPG sourcebook...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I hope next WHM is Medicine Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

This is what happens when you start with a 600 page script.
HDTGM brings up script length a lot, so I looked it up and it's generally accepted that a "normal" script would be about 110 pages, with one page being about one minute of screentime.

Going by that, a 600 page script would be about 10 hours of movie.

quote:

Seriously, Jupiter Ascending reminds me those lovely scifi novels where the writer is far more interested in background details than the plot or the characters. It's like the film adaptation of an RPG sourcebook...
Particularly those sourcebooks that the author has been working on for ages, not realizing that nobody besides himself cares about the fine details or ancient historical points the players would never know or ask about.