Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember, disemboweling a guy and lifting him over your head and tearing him in half so his blood splashes all over you is the best way to make a silent takedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
the first time you find sandra renton she's getting raped by jojo fine

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Hold on a second, I need to drop something. Heh-heh

*Rips homeless man's head and shits a LAM down his neck*

edit: What a rotten way to die.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 23, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

It's sexier than deu sex

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Segmentation Fault posted:

the first time you find sandra renton she's getting raped by jojo fine
dude noooo dont make me laugh at rape jokes.

I played deus ex and ss2 for their first times quite recently and I don't think they need any mods. I do have a very high tolerance for awful 1995-2000 era graphics though so YMMV

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Both games are ugly as hell, and System Shock 2 doesn't even have a half-decent graphics mod to make it not look like poo poo.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Mill Village posted:

I'm playing that Prodoomer mod. The RPG elements seem to be well done, and the spells are useful in their own way (especially the sandbags), but then it takes graphics and sounds from a bunch of games and makes this weird mishmash. This does mean there's a huge variety of enemies, though. Some of them are really overpowered, especially the Vores introduced in Level 9. Having homing projectiles that can follow you all over a level and kill you in one hit is not a good idea.

The levels are pretty big, some of them are horrible switch hunts, though. I had to noclip a couple of them because I flipped all the switches I could find and I still couldn't advance. There's also Sonic Rings hidden in every level, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get most of them without cheats. This mod has a serious case of "if I can find it, everyone can" syndrome. I don't think it was play-tested very well.

I can't help but keep playing it, though, just to see how bad it can get.
I actually liked it quite a lot, some levels aren't great but all of the gameplay stuff blends together surprisingly well, although I feel that may of been just of been by sheer accident rather than intentional. I'd reached max level right near the end of the game and I was using nearly every spell at my disposal. The levels and music gave the whole thing a really arcade-like kind of vibe. I wouldn't recommend it to a purist at any level but for something different it was pretty neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Both games are ugly as hell, and System Shock 2 doesn't even have a half-decent graphics mod to make it not look like poo poo.

So it's to be graphical torture?

I can cope with torture. man-in-:black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

:frogout:

Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I guess I am a weirdo because a year or two ago I installed a few of the bigger graphics mods for SS2 and I feel like it doesn't look too bad. It's got a pretty clean aesthetic, the higher resolution textures aren't so high that they clash with the simple geometry, and the model replacements work well enough. I think the thing that still bugs me the most are the awful explosions--they seem to only contain a handful of frames, and it spends too much time rendering each frame. It's like an ugly, slow motion fireball that doesn't feel like an explosion at all. If I could figure out some way that the game only spent a fraction of the time rendering each frame, the blasts would feel more violent and you wouldn't notice how bizarre they look.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of explosions, my favourite have to be from Half Life 2. It's literally a bang, with ringing ears if you're close enough, and maybe things catch on fire. Nothing too flashy, and that's great. Makes it seem more serious.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of explosions, my favourite have to be from Half Life 2. It's literally a bang, with ringing ears if you're close enough, and maybe things catch on fire. Nothing too flashy, and that's great. Makes it seem more serious.

I liked it when they used the same effect in SiN Emergence. Over the top shooters have some realistic effects makes them more enjoyable for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Michael Bay eat your heart out.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jblade posted:

I actually liked it quite a lot, some levels aren't great but all of the gameplay stuff blends together surprisingly well, although I feel that may of been just of been by sheer accident rather than intentional. I'd reached max level right near the end of the game and I was using nearly every spell at my disposal. The levels and music gave the whole thing a really arcade-like kind of vibe. I wouldn't recommend it to a purist at any level but for something different it was pretty neat.

There's a V2 of prodoomer out, if anyone cares. :shrug:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Biomod rebalances skills and augs to remove lovely trap choices from the game, which makes it objectively better for a first playthrough by someone who's never played Deus Ex before. It also adds small convenience tweaks like stacking items in the inventory or mantling.

Play it vanilla to see what vanilla is like on your second playthrough if you want, but telling people they should play it vanilla on their first playthrough is dumb purism.

Likewise, SCP is bug fixes and a couple of balance tweaks. There's literally no reason not to use both with their respective games.
Eh, I don't think there's anything in vanilla Deus Ex that's so broken that it absolutely needs a mod for a first playthrough. It benefits a lot from being so rigorous about providing multiple solutions to every problem - even if you spend all your skill points on Swimming and Environmental Training, you're unlikely to get stuck or have a bad time because of it. It's not like System Shock 2 where the default balance is straight up crazy town, or Human Revolution where you'll get to a boss fight only to find out that you've made all the wrong choices when building your character and have to suffer for it.

There are a lot of differences in opinion when it comes to mods like this. I think Biomod's balance changes to overpowered augs like Regeneration make for a more challenging, fun experience, but I know some people consider becoming an invincible god-king later on in the game to be an essential part of Deus Ex. It's one of those things where everyone has their preferences and there's no one mod for everybody. I'm not saying that people shouldn't use Biomod for a first playthrough, but maybe just read the feature list and see if appeals to them first.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Enivronmental Training is actually really drat useful because it boosts the effectiveness of Ballistic Armor and how long armor in general lasts. An 87% reduction on most enemy attacks is a life-saver and Thermoptic Camo becomes very useful when you can use it for over a minute.

Swimming is fun if only to see JC "swim like a dolphin" when you master it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

closeted republican posted:

Enivronmental Training is actually really drat useful because it boosts the effectiveness of Ballistic Armor and how long armor in general lasts. An 87% reduction on most enemy attacks is a life-saver and Thermoptic Camo becomes very useful when you can use it for over a minute.

Swimming is fun if only to see JC "swim like a dolphin" when you master it.
Environmental Training suffers from the way the game treats equipment as timed, one use items, like a power up in an arcade game or something. It clashes really badly with the rest of the gameplay and my impression is that most players barely use them as a result. Even if used to its fullest potential, a skill that governs the use of fairly limited, extremely expensive (seriously who came up with those prices?) items is going to have a hard time competing with other skills that can be utilized far more often with a much lower associated cost.

But yeah, one of the amazing things about Deus Ex is that no matter how obscure or useless you thought something was, somebody somewhere has figured out a way to use it to their advantage.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you're going to play Deus Ex, don't forget to bind all the good augs to cool keys and stuff, cus the default binds are a freaking nightmare imo.

Also the funnest way to play it is going LO TEK :black101: allowing you to smash open all the dudes and the doors ( which i believe some mods nerf btw...)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pretty much all the marginal skills in DX have very low XP costs, putting points into them is fine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371180/

E: http://steamcommunity.com/app/371180/discussions/0/598198356189183291/

quote:

Wow isn't this poor use of the Doom engine?

Excellent observation, but that would be because it uses the Wolfenstein 3D engine not the Doom engine.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 24, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

It seems sort of arrogant to have a bunch of pictures of yourself all over the ark god commanded you to build.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Thankfully, the itch.io purchase I did within the past year transferred over to this, so I am the only person I know on my friends list to own this weird oddity

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Jblade posted:

The music is a nice touch. I mean, none of its original, but it seems like the creator put some effort into picking a song for each level. That remix of Duke Burger for the Doom Burger level was cool.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm playing Sunlust and wow this sounds awful in OPL sound mode.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm playing Sunlust and wow this sounds awful in OPL sound mode.

I had some weird stutter and had to change the driver settings, if that's what you're experiencing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, it's more that the instruments are the worst possible choices so everything is an awful super high pitch.

Actually it looks like it's Zandronum's OPL emulation more than the wad, it sounds fine in GZdoom.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
After some guy earlier in the thread told some other guy about quakespasm I set it up myself. Quake 1 for the first time in my life woop!
This game is impressively barebones. It's fun and good and eh, level design is good? It's hard to describe but I really get the potential shining through this game. The verticality is wonderful, it kinda sucks that fps didn't evolve into even more abstract and weird levels like this. Ziggurat Vertigo was bloody amazing and most of all levels have a part where they give me this feel. Like it gives me a sense of place, like the architecture actually came from someone reading about architecture and not a million nerds doing their best to find the right balance between vaseline blur and tesselation inside a video game corridor. I like it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

After some guy earlier in the thread told some other guy about quakespasm I set it up myself. Quake 1 for the first time in my life woop!
This game is impressively barebones. It's fun and good and eh, level design is good? It's hard to describe but I really get the potential shining through this game. The verticality is wonderful, it kinda sucks that fps didn't evolve into even more abstract and weird levels like this. Ziggurat Vertigo was bloody amazing and most of all levels have a part where they give me this feel. Like it gives me a sense of place, like the architecture actually came from someone reading about architecture and not a million nerds doing their best to find the right balance between vaseline blur and tesselation inside a video game corridor. I like it!

My god, this makes me want to play Quake again.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

They're giving the ECWolf guy a % of the sales which is chill.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Squeezy Farm posted:

They're giving the ECWolf guy a % of the sales which is chill.
It looks like it's actually the other way around. This whole project was set up by the ECWolf developer, and Wisdom Tree is allowing him to use their game as long as he pays a small licensing fee for each copy sold.

It's cool as hell, even if the game sucked I'd buy it just to support ECWolf but it's actually surprisingly fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I maintain that ziggurat vertigo was the best FPS map (3d and 2.5d) made during that decade.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

I maintain that ziggurat vertigo was the best FPS map (3d and 2.5d) made during that decade.
It's a great map but it's a major pain in the rear end on Nightmare from shotgun start.

Why oh why are there so many shamblers?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just started playing Prodoomer after hearing about it on the last page.

If there's a way for a wad to be so bad it's good, this is it. :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

arcsig posted:

It's a great map but it's a major pain in the rear end on Nightmare from shotgun start.

Why oh why are there so many shamblers?

It's a secret level. "Bullshit hard on high difficulties" is pretty standard for those in Quake iirc.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that Ziggurat Vertigo is the only gimmick level. I would love to see more, though I'm not sure what other gimmicks they could throw at you.

I feel like playing Quake again too. Maybe I will! I actually never played it with a source port before so it's time to do that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

It's a secret level. "Bullshit hard on high difficulties" is pretty standard for those in Quake iirc.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that Ziggurat Vertigo is the only gimmick level. I would love to see more, though I'm not sure what other gimmicks they could throw at you.

I feel like playing Quake again too. Maybe I will! I actually never played it with a source port before so it's time to do that.

House of Cthon is a gimmick (and also the only thing like it in the game).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

House of Cthon is a gimmick (and also the only thing like it in the game).

Oh, right. I guess I forgot about that level because it's poo poo

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, it's kind of a shame that Quake (disregarding the expansions) only really has the two boss fights. I guess they couldn't think of any more unorthodox ways of beating enemies beyond having giant tesla coils electrocute them or telefragging.

Like, I suppose they were setting up the Vile Vore to be a boss character at the end of Episode 2, but then Viles Vores start showing up everywhere so it kinda loses the impact.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 24, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, it's kind of a shame that Quake (disregarding the expansions) only really has the two boss fights. I guess they couldn't think of any more unorthodox ways of beating enemies beyond having giant tesla coils electrocute them or telefragging.

Like, I suppose they were setting up the Vile to be a boss character at the end of Episode 2, but then Viles start showing up everywhere so it kinda loses the impact.

From what I remember they just straight up ran out of time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When you think about it a boss battle that isn't boring takes a ton of custom scripting and testing, so it makes sense to cut bosses that would only be a short battle of the whole game anyways, and something that while novel the first few times eventually gets repetitive and boring. Better to focus on the strength of the main game.

A boss is like designing an enemy that's 10 times as complicated but only appears 1/100th as often. :v: Although they can be setpieces unto themselves, the way C'thon is.

That's why they started using viles as enemies instead of leaving it as just a boss; after doing all the work to make it actually exist it seems like a waste to only have them in one room.

It is super wonky though that Quake only has the two bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They're called vores :mad: