Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

This is from a shitload of pages back, but this reminds me of when you go to the eye doctor and they have a rack of new frames for you to try on.

Okay, my contribution to the thread. When my husband was attending Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, they started building a new School of Management, and he and I both goggled at the sketches going "okay, but it's not actually going to look like THAT when it's finished, is it?"

This was our introduction to Frank Gehry.

This thing is super-fun to drive past on sunny days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Khazar-khum posted:

That's not the best part.

The best part are the Nationality Rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality_Rooms

I love the fact that the Welsh room was the one that took the longest to be incorporated! Everyone forgets the Welsh.

Anyway, I was looking to see if that Frank Gehry guy had designed any building in the UK and it turns out he did. This is the Maggies Centre in Dundee:

That is probably why he doesn't design many buildings in the UK.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Palette Cleanser: The Cathedral of Learning

Man, that really is an amazing building. The national teaching rooms are also all wonderful. I like the approach they took with those to have them funded and designed by local communities.

Random aside, it is a "palate cleanser" not a palette one. It refers to a drink or little bit of food served between courses clear the taste of the last course before starting the next one, hence cleansing the palate.

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I love the fact that the Welsh room was the one that took the longest to be incorporated! Everyone forgets the Welsh.

Anyway, I was looking to see if that Frank Gehry guy had designed any building in the UK and it turns out he did. This is the Maggies Centre in Dundee:

That is probably why he doesn't design many buildings in the UK.

That's actually one of the better Gehry buildings I've seen...

I should try and dig up some photos of my old school. Brutalist to a fault but actually rather nice. It really helps that they actually painted the concrete white... That said the utilisation of interior space wasn't that efficient.

The photos I've found online are kinda so-so:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

spacing in vienna posted:

This is from a shitload of pages back, but this reminds me of when you go to the eye doctor and they have a rack of new frames for you to try on.

Okay, my contribution to the thread. When my husband was attending Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, they started building a new School of Management, and he and I both goggled at the sketches going "okay, but it's not actually going to look like THAT when it's finished, is it?"

This was our introduction to Frank Gehry.

This thing is super-fun to drive past on sunny days.

I imagine that most civil engineering departments now have a secret class that all grads have to pass which instructs how to spot an aspiring Geary replacement and how to dispose of the body (without messing with the structural integrity of the pour).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The "TF" on the building is because it's the Headquarters of "Tapir Force," right?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Munin posted:

Random aside, it is a "palate cleanser" not a palette one. It refers to a drink or little bit of food served between courses clear the taste of the last course before starting the next one, hence cleansing the palate.

Clearly you've never scrubbed palettes for a living.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eu9QGD41mk

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Palette Cleanser: Redux

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Palette Cleanser: Redux

That is a really expensive bonfire. (Then again you save a lot in construction cost so it's probably +-0 in the end.)

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
Once PBS aired an entire documentary by the 'master' Frank Gehry, showing him learning to make a film with prosumer camcorders and iMovie. He was such an auteur that he was able to deploy the same techniques as a hundred thousand film students a year, but since hes a famous architect a TV channel with millions of viewers gave him the time of day. He spoke of his art!

He, like most architects, is nothing but an authoritarian dolt who plays for the patronage of the elite. His sole purpose outside of the history books will be to make the ultimate garbage architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, look good with his leaking ceilings and lovely design that made dumb americans and randians happy.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Pallets are different from palettes are different from palates guys let's get it together.

Also I want to live in the Cathedral of Learning forever and ever.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Pallets are different from palettes are different from palates guys let's get it together.

There are also pellets!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

http://www.wadeweissmannarchitecture.com/portfolio/Portfolio.aspx?categoryID=2&workID=54
If you're exercising in a place this fancy, you can afford your own pilates cleanser.

Pontius Pilate's pool needs some cleaning.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
But enough about paləts:

That is aggressively ugly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks as if that entire siding comes down like a shutter at the end of the day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Are they trying to stop armour piercing RPG attacks?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As carparks go it's not too bad.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The house of our student nation, Urdsgjallar (named after a drinking horn of Viking mythology) in Espoo, Finland deserves a mention.

Teknologföreningens Urdsgjallar [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], by J-P Kärnä (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

It's neither remarkably ugly or pretty as far as brutalist buildings go, but it has the most impractical floor plan I've ever seen. Approximately a quarter of the building consists of hallways or stairs. The latter also serve to make it remarkably wheelchair-unfriendly and hauling stuff around is a pain in the rear end because you can't really use a trolley or a pallet jack. The basement, which contains a third of all floor space, also lacks windows completely.

Reminds me of the UAA ANSEP building, which is supposed to look like a canoe made by one of the indigenous Alaskan tribes:

It's goofy but I like it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

padijun posted:

Reminds me of the UAA ANSEP building, which is supposed to look like a canoe made by one of the indigenous Alaskan tribes:

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

kremlins
May 9, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

There's this

It's a house.

There was originally grass growing on those slanted roof panels but they're too steep so it all fell off the first time it rained.

you motherfucker, I live a handful of blocks from the darth vader house.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

padijun posted:

Concept looks nice but I'm not sold on the material they eventually made it with.

That said it is curious how often the sandcrawler comparison can be pulled out.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I mean, really. I do expect better of SA! :colbert:

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

gently caress you pig the unusual dog is a masterpiece

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That dog is challenging my preconceptions and inspiring greater empathy.

Edit: Although I do believe he could be contemporized by the addition of perforated side-paneling.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

For a proper palate cleansing, have a pullet surprise!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
One of these days I gotta take a picture of my uncle's garage door house out in the sticks.

My place isn't much better, I bought it for 50k "as is"
Been here for 4 years, lot of weird things were done including my own weird additions.

Prior to me ever selling it, will probably get an inspection to see how much poo poo is actually hosed up.

But my mortgage is $300/mo so, eh.

This neat thing is also in the neighborhood

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

One of these days I gotta take a picture of my uncle's garage door house out in the sticks.

My place isn't much better, I bought it for 50k "as is"
Been here for 4 years, lot of weird things were done including my own weird additions.

Prior to me ever selling it, will probably get an inspection to see how much poo poo is actually hosed up.

But my mortgage is $300/mo so, eh.

Are The Herculoids good neighbors?

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

branding!

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

It looks much better with the defense grid up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Xlorp posted:

For a proper palate cleansing, have a pullet surprise!

I wish it weren't so deeply red, now it sounds stupid when I say "wow that looks pallid"

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

spite house posted:

Los Angeles, despite its underwhelming downtown skyline, has some great architecture. Also some terrible architecture. It's kind of all-or-nothing with this place.

My least favorite buildings in town at the moment are the ghastly, cheaply-built-though-not-at-all-cheap, hosed-out-hideous quasi-Italianate termite mounds that take up what seems like half of the stretch of the 101 between downtown and and Hollywood. They're called the Visconti and the Medici, and the best I can say about them is that they might look pretty cool after Armageddon comes and they turn into the Kowloon Walled City.

Pictures don't do these monstrosities justice. They're just VAST. Also sparsely inhabited by exactly the kind of bourgy jerks you'd expect.

And their official signage is in loving Papyrus.

As if that weren't enough, the developer responsible, Geoff Palmer, may be literally Satan.

Then, last December, something magical happened.

Earlier in the year, Palmer thumbed his nose at everyone with any sense who's ever had to endure looking at his awful buildings, and started to build another complex much like the others except even bigger and even stupider. It was to be called the Da Vinci, and it was almost finished when:

Yep. Arson. Nobody was hurt, and it was spectacular, and everyone in the neighborhood really hoped they wouldn't catch the guy who did it. Unfortunately he got sloppy. Pour one out.

Mr. Palmer does not understand, and can only conclude that his critics are plebes who do not appreciate "classical beauty".

Are these ugly faux-Italians the ones up on Sunset? Like Cesar Chavez north of downtown? Yes, they are loving ugly.

Also when that fire happened I could see it out my apt window all the way from Olympic/Alvarado. It was loving epic. You could feel the heat like a mile away.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Maybe it's just me, but when I look at this I'm thinking "asbestos". Specifically the sprayed stuff that was used to coat steel beams etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

Maybe it's just me, but when I look at this I'm thinking "asbestos". Specifically the sprayed stuff that was used to coat steel beams etc.

Why would you need to coat steel beams with asbestos? I mean it's not like anything can melt them anyway!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why would you need to coat steel beams with asbestos? I mean it's not like anything can melt them anyway!
noooooooooo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's so the jet fuel can soak in, obviously.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Shifty Pony posted:

I imagine that most civil engineering departments now have a secret class that all grads have to pass which instructs how to spot an aspiring Geary replacement and how to dispose of the body (without messing with the structural integrity of the pour).

I took that course. The key is the architect is buried by the neutral axis of your basemat :ssh:.

The secret for us structural engineered that in general, we aren't paid nearly as well as architects and construction managers, so overambitious architects are a great way to rack up huge engineering fees since you have to custom design connections, spans, etc. Some of the best paid structural guys are the ones that can hold their nose working for them to make their projects happen.

You dispose of them after you get paid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I might be outing myself, but that looks cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Gehry wannabes,

Thankfully, this never got built.

• Locked thread