Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If you ever need to submit the video as evidence can't you just transcode it and strip the audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I would imagine there would be some issue with submitting 'edited' video, especially one from one of the claimants. Chain of Evidence and all that.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Today when I went out to leave for work I found my G1W shell popped open and the very bloated battery hanging down by two wires. Glad it didn't catch fire.

Time to order a mobius.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Don’t forget the supercap for the Mobius.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

drukqs posted:

ordered

can't wait !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-JdKQmMSA

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

I *may* have mild tourettes

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

nm posted:

Good idea. Dash cams are specifically legal to windshield mount in CA if you put them in the right place (generally window mounting is illegal) and either don't record sound or have specific notices posted. Ca is also a 2 party consent state.

There is no legal expectation of privacy in a public space. It's 100% legal to film and record audio of anybody in public. 2 party consent only applies to private conversations, like with passengers in your car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm pretty sure that if I spent more than about 20 minutes in your car I would have a splitting headache. That drone...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

oxbrain posted:

There is no legal expectation of privacy in a public space. It's 100% legal to film and record audio of anybody in public. 2 party consent only applies to private conversations, like with passengers in your car.

Yes, and for some reason that just might apply to a dashcam. . . .

nm fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 18, 2015

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

I'm pretty sure that if I spent more than about 20 minutes in your car I would have a splitting headache. That drone...

There are exhaust systems out there for this engine/this car that don't drone at all or... at least not as badly but... They're significantly more expensive, and I think they are FAR too quiet and muffled.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

drukqs posted:

There are exhaust systems out there for this engine/this car that don't drone at all or... at least not as badly but... They're significantly more expensive, and I think they are FAR too quiet and muffled.
This train of thought isn't surprising, given you rev your engine at Lamborghinis. And for no reason, at random, apparently.

nm posted:

Yes, and for some reason that just might apply to a dashcam. . . .
I don't allow people who would take legal issue with my dashcam recording audio in my cars.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 19, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'd like to buy my brother a dash cam as a gift. That Lukas LK-7900 looks great, but it's around $500 in Canada. Is there a generally recommended cam that would cost in the ballpark of $100-200?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'd like to buy my brother a dash cam as a gift. That Lukas LK-7900 looks great, but it's around $500 in Canada. Is there a generally recommended cam that would cost in the ballpark of $100-200?

Mobius ActionCam.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
^^^ :arghfist:

http://www.amazon.ca/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2

Mobius is 95 of your Canadian Dollars

smax
Nov 9, 2009

A Mobius with a wide angle lens and everything needed to mount and hardwire it is well within that range, and it works perfectly. The only trade off is that it has no screen.

I love mine, and if you wire it properly it looks great.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Awesome, thanks for your help!

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

For you guys that have the mobius, do you run it off batteries or wire it directly to the car? Are they any good guides for doing the latter?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Diplomat posted:

For you guys that have the mobius, do you run it off batteries or wire it directly to the car? Are they any good guides for doing the latter?

You shouldn't run it off batteries: one of the key benefits of a dashcam is auto starting when you turn on the ignition.

I just take the easy option and run it off the cigarette lighter.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Diplomat posted:

I have mine wired to the car, but it also has its internal battery. Turns on and starts recording when you power the car on, turns off when you shut the car off.

Guides will be highly specific to each car, but here's a quick generic run-down of what I did, complete with typos since I typed this all up on my phone (I'll try to edit it tonight).

Parts needed:
-Multimeter
-Add-a-circuit (the type that fits in a fuse slot, make sure you get the right size)
-12V to 5V USB converter
-Appropriate length USB cable
-Mounting adhesives/zipties (as needed)
-Tools to remove trim (as needed)

Steps to install:
-Locate a suitable interior fuse box. Usually there's one somewhere in the drivers' side footwell.
-Use multimeter to select a fuse that has switched (accessory) power.
-Solder or crimp the power converter to the add-a-circuit, locate a suitable ground point (a bolt/nut on the body of the car is good), and hook up the ground on the converter.
-Put a 3A fuse in the add-a-circuit for the 12V converter and put the fuse that you located in step 2 in the pass-through slot in the add-a-circuit.
-Put the add-a-circuit into the fuse slot from step 2.
-Test the add-a-circuit and converter. I like to plug my phone into the converter to do this: it should charge when you turn the car on or into the accessory position and it should stop charging when you turn the car off.
-Mount the camera where you'd like it to live. Note: plug the USB cable into the back of the camera when you do this since it can stick out pretty far and interfere with rear-view mirrors or other things. You can also use different a USB cable or a 90-degree adapter to help with this too.
-Working from the camera back toward the fuse box, start placing your cable. Several notes here: This depends heavily on the type of car and the location of the camera. Level of effort will range from just pushing the cable along the headliner and A-pillar to a full removal of the dashboard and A-pillar to make it look right. Use your creativity, and be sure not to interfere with any airbags or other safety systems. Also be sure to leave a little slack on both ends of the cable so you can move things around if needed.
-When you reach the fuse box, plug everything in and use your adhesives and zip ties to package everything up out of the way, and control any excess cable you may have.

Edit now that I'm home: added some links to the parts list; minor revisions to text.

smax fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 23, 2015

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for the rundown, I'll definitely be referencing it when I install my cam.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A little hard to see but the SUV to my right attempts to cut me off as we exit the roundabout.

Let the name calling commence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8YIcWUdqAU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

By "attempts to" do you mean "completely succeeds in his attempts to"?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Technically so!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Are you supposed to/allowed to change lanes in the middle of a roundabout?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Yes otherwise people on the inside lane would be trapped going in circles for eternity.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tuna posted:

Yes otherwise people on the inside lane would be trapped going in circles for eternity.

Depends on local laws, actually. In Alberta, you are not permitted to change lanes in a roundabout. The person in the outer lane must give way to the person on the inside of the traffic circle when they signal to exit the traffic circle.

No, it doesn't make sense. Yes, it is the law.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

In the video posted (from Australia) if you are in the inside lane you are permitted to turn right or go straight through the roundabout. in both instances, you have to exit the roundabout in the same lane you entered in.

so if you enter the roundabout in the inside lane like the black SUV did, you are expected to stay in the inside lane when you exit.

That way, people entering to turn left in the outside lane of any entries to the roundabout can do so while ignoring the traffic on the inside lane (because the assumption is that they are not going to cross paths at all, unless you're a fuckwit, like the SUV driver)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

tuna posted:

Laserface posted:

In the video posted (from Australia) if you are in the inside lane you are permitted to turn right or go straight through the roundabout. in both instances, you have to exit the roundabout in the same lane you entered in.

so if you enter the roundabout in the inside lane like the black SUV did, you are expected to stay in the inside lane when you exit.

That way, people entering to turn left in the outside lane of any entries to the roundabout can do so while ignoring the traffic on the inside lane (because the assumption is that they are not going to cross paths at all, unless you're a fuckwit, like the SUV driver)

This is what I mean. Looks to me like Cartoon entered the roundabout in the right lane and then switched to the left lane to exit the roundabout, which is the exact same thing the SUV did, but the SUV just did it too late and ended up cutting him off. Looks like 2 lanes both exit the roundabout as well.

Maybe it's fine there, I don't know.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
In NSW, so far as I am aware and I checked the rules, If you are going right from a round about you can choose which lane to exit from. Because the crossing (ahead of the exit) was in use I thought ahead and when the traffic occupying the outer lane went forwards (as they are required (at this intersection to do) I jumped into the now very vacant outer lane (after checking). That meant that I was going to enter the left most exit lane (which I might add has a solid line) and not block traffic. Further to this, just past the first crossing there is a right hand turn only lane which if you exit the roundabout from the inner lane you are now in.

In my mind the issue was the other driver not looking before crossing a solid line to enter the lane I was in. Even if I hadn't changed lanes there was a possibility that a vehicle from the oncoming traffic may have entered to turn left. They wouldn't have seen that vehicle either.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Turn signal, what's that? :downs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw84CnRuM-w

I like how she creeps into the shot from the right like loving Jaws. Dun dun.

vvv So she was relying on the element of surprise? That is horrifyingly possible.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 24, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Turn signal, what's that? :downs:

It's a device that is used to let other drivers know they need to speed up to cut off what would be a perfectly reasonable and safe lane change.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartoon posted:

In NSW, so far as I am aware and I checked the rules, If you are going right from a round about you can choose which lane to exit from. Because the crossing (ahead of the exit) was in use I thought ahead and when the traffic occupying the outer lane went forwards (as they are required (at this intersection to do) I jumped into the now very vacant outer lane (after checking). That meant that I was going to enter the left most exit lane (which I might add has a solid line) and not block traffic. Further to this, just past the first crossing there is a right hand turn only lane which if you exit the roundabout from the inner lane you are now in.

In my mind the issue was the other driver not looking before crossing a solid line to enter the lane I was in. Even if I hadn't changed lanes there was a possibility that a vehicle from the oncoming traffic may have entered to turn left. They wouldn't have seen that vehicle either.

IMO you're both bad drivers and I would honk furiously at your bullshit.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

The Locator posted:

It's a device that is used to let other drivers know they need to speed up to cut off what would be a perfectly reasonable and safe lane change.

After they enter the roadway, the continued lane changes are not acceptable, at least in my jurisdiction.

Ohio law forbids a lane change from occurring within 100ft of an intersection. That driver changes lanes IN the intersection.

What is with these troll posts?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Laserface posted:

IMO you're both bad drivers and I would honk furiously at your bullshit.
:toot:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wickerman posted:

After they enter the roadway, the continued lane changes are not acceptable, at least in my jurisdiction.

Ohio law forbids a lane change from occurring within 100ft of an intersection. That driver changes lanes IN the intersection.

What is with these troll posts?

Did not realize that it was unlawful to attempt to make a semi-related joke on the SA forums.

Carry on Mr. Serious.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

The Locator posted:

Did not realize that it was unlawful to attempt to make a semi-related joke on the SA forums.

Carry on Mr. Serious.

:toot:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

You listen to ABC Radio National, that makes you the arsehole.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Here's some good merging lane assholery I saw today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMFent0gXc

After all of that, notice how drat easy it is to merge onto this road. It's always that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Tangentially related - any one have experience with inexpensive body cams? I'm looking for something simple for indoor use by parking lot attendants.