Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

It looks like the new Tau Commander is a Crisis Suit (based on the Burst Cannon attachment + art), so he might have some more stuff there? That said, the product page for the first pack says that the Tau commander features "unlikely allies", which doesn't sound too promising for suits.

As for Kroot, Carnivore Pack owns - it's one of the few Tau cards with any staying power at all and it works really well with Aun'shi decks, since its death often gives you the resources you need to send in an Aun'ui Prelate and clean up.

Tau really needs some good medium strength units. They have a bunch of solid 1-2 drops and their Elites are pretty okay, but Carnivore Pack and Fire Elite and Prelate now are pretty much the only 3-4 drops worth playing. The fact that most of their units (and arguably cards in general) in the last cycle were pretty bad doesn't really help much, unless I'm missing something sweet with like, the Grenadiers.

Which is a shame because I really like Shadowsun :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Tau are really good though. Aun'shi has crazy options in terms of battles, tons of mobility, good economy and there is a crapload of ethereal synergy, with ranged-when-ethereal, +2atk/+1command per ethereal, stat buffs-when-ethereal and everything's armor bane. Hell Tau can shift Ranged AoE Armorbane around multiple battles.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Beyond the stuff geared for Aun'shi, there's some pretty good stuff for Tau in general and Shadowsun. Bork'an Recruits and Tense Negotiations are just fantastic cards in general, and Aun'ui Prelate is a nice combat trick for decks with lots of Tau units, regardless of Ethereal nonsense. I think Heavy Marker Drone is really solid in Shadowsun, both for being another cheap attachment and dealing with tough units. I also think the Sa’cea XV88 Broadside is pretty useful in a Shadowsun deck, as it gives more flexibility in getting out some Area Effect.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Heavy Marker Drone is fantastic yeah. Aun'shi loves it because it counters the one thing he has trouble with - units that have more HP than his entourage (or he) can do in one attack. Nazdreg Orks really screw with Aun'shi for that reason, and Marker Drone helps a lot with it.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I miss my shadowsun deck but I parted it out to baharroth because his flap flaps get silly with ion rifles.

Also ranged units helps with my metas current favourite: Ranged IG hits you for 30 damage in the ranged phase before you can react

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

I miss my shadowsun deck but I parted it out to baharroth because his flap flaps get silly with ion rifles.

Also ranged units helps with my metas current favourite: Ranged IG hits you for 30 damage in the ranged phase before you can react

If the Coteaz ranged combo decks are getting you down, the uncommonly played Seer's Exodus is actually a really good counter to them.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Why yes.... Yes it is

Also keeping the ranged too because solid 1/1 is still solid

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Night's Watch preview is up for GoT2. Interesting that they seem to be very, very defense oriented.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
GoT2 is really looking fantastic. I'm thinking of cashing in my Star Wars collection and buying into it as my second LCG this fall. I still like SW but can't quite get the wife into it as much.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
How far in advance of GenCon do you think it'll be before we get a full GoT2 spoiler and pdf rulebook? I signed up for the single box tournament and I'm excited about brewing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Karnegal posted:

How far in advance of GenCon do you think it'll be before we get a full GoT2 spoiler and pdf rulebook? I signed up for the single box tournament and I'm excited about brewing.

They are doing a house a week (Baratheon is next) and are giving everyone with any kind of following exclusive spoilers like AGoTCards, podcasts, Team Covenant etc. I would imagine after they finish the previews, the rules PDF will follow quickly. There is even an article series going up on CardGameDB just about the rules differences between the two versions here and here.

I think I've finally found a game I can get my coworkers to play :allears:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Do we at least know if it's 1v1 only or multiplayer?
I own way too many 1v1 games I can't play.

Yeah it's got multiplayer.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 17, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I've been out of the loop for a while and all I have right now are two core sets and the first three packs. Is there a good resource that can let me plug those in and give me some good deck builds? I just haven't even looked at Conquest in forever but I was asked to teach someone so now I might have another steady player!

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Depending on what those packs are your best bets are likely to be SM and maybe DE. A third core set would go a long way, giving you 2 playsets of neutrals for 2 players.

conquestdb.com should be useful, substituting cards you don't have for others you do have.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

EvilChameleon posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while and all I have right now are two core sets and the first three packs. Is there a good resource that can let me plug those in and give me some good deck builds? I just haven't even looked at Conquest in forever but I was asked to teach someone so now I might have another steady player!

Hmm, I'm not sure if there's a "two core set only" search option on CardGameDB or ConquestDB. That said, what sorts of decks are you looking for? I can draw up some pretty solid decklists for whatever you're interested in.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Fetterkey posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure if there's a "two core set only" search option on CardGameDB or ConquestDB. That said, what sorts of decks are you looking for? I can draw up some pretty solid decklists for whatever you're interested in.

I was just looking to see if there was anything that looked decent. I pulled up some decks on CardGameDB from around the time the third pack came out and made up two of those, substituting some fo the extras I didn't have with other cards that aren't as good. I'm just working on teaching someone, and hopefully having a decent deck at the same time. Is Conquest still popular out in the worlds not near me? Or did whatever the latest LCG is come and wipe it out?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Conquest is pretty dead in Taiwan. People here don't really have the disposable income to support multiple LCGs and Netrunner is still the strongest. Conquest took forever to get a Chinese version as well, by the time that can out the players who were interested moved onto other games like Doomtown, back to Netrunner or decided to wait for the Game of Thrones LCG.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Toronto is pretty thriving, we managed to beat out netrunner last week for our league week 1

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

EvilChameleon posted:

I was just looking to see if there was anything that looked decent. I pulled up some decks on CardGameDB from around the time the third pack came out and made up two of those, substituting some fo the extras I didn't have with other cards that aren't as good. I'm just working on teaching someone, and hopefully having a decent deck at the same time. Is Conquest still popular out in the worlds not near me? Or did whatever the latest LCG is come and wipe it out?

Conquest is second fiddle to Netrunner in my area but still has a fair few players, and Tyranids look to potentially bring in a surge of newcomers.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Fetterkey posted:

Conquest is second fiddle to Netrunner in my area but still has a fair few players, and Tyranids look to potentially bring in a surge of newcomers.

Conquest is third fiddle in London, after AGOT and Netrunner

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Netrunner is in a bit of a slump in our group at the moment, so Conquest is more popular at the moment. Several people have also expressed interest in playing once the Tyranids are released.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

House Baratheon preview up. Preorders are also available at CSI, which is probably a good thing to go for if you have any interest since the first run of these LCGs always runs out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

House Baratheon preview up. Preorders are also available at CSI, which is probably a good thing to go for if you have any interest since the first run of these LCGs always runs out.

This going to be a 3x core set or a 2x like SWLCG?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PJOmega posted:

This going to be a 3x core set or a 2x like SWLCG?

I estimated 3x, given that there are 8 factions (see Conquest). I imagine as release date approaches, you can adjust down.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Any idea which Conquest producers will be out pre-Gen Con? I'm seeing conflicting dates on the first deluxe box and first pack of the second cycle.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Karnegal posted:

Any idea which Conquest producers will be out pre-Gen Con? I'm seeing conflicting dates on the first deluxe box and first pack of the second cycle.

The first deluxe box will maybe be out before GenCon. I would be extremely surprised if the first pack of the second cycle was.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I'm still fairly new to Conquest, but I'm trying to help a buddy out by building him an Ork deck. He wants to focus on the core set for now, but I have enough core sets to do 3x of everything. Here's what I put together. Thoughts?

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Nazdreg (Core Set)

Army Unit: (19)
4x Nazdreg’s Flash Gitz (Core Set)
3x Crushface (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)
3x Rugged Killa Kans (Core Set)
3x Shoota Mob (Core Set)
3x Sniveling Grot (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
1x Cybork Body (Core Set)
3x Dire Mutation (Core Set)
3x Rune-Encrusted Armor (Core Set)

Event: (11)
2x Bigga is Betta (Core Set)
3x Battle Cry (Core Set)
3x Promise of Glory (Core Set)
3x Snotling Attack (Core Set)

Support: (13)
1x Kraktoof Hall (Core Set)
3x Bigtoof Banna (Core Set)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)
3x Promethium Mine (Core Set)
3x Tellyporta Pad (Core Set)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Your economy is going to be pretty drat hard to support. I'd recommend swapping out the Goff Boyz and Sniveling Grots for Void Pirates and Rogue Traders. Enraged Orks are also super good meat walls, and they soak up Ork Kannons very well. I'm not the biggest fan of Shoota Mobz either, since Nazdreg favors things with a lot of HP and orks tend to poo poo out a lot of incidental damage that will murder the Mobz. Case in point, Weirdboy Maniak is really, really good against DE and probably Eldar to murder all their Khymera, and I'd probably trade the Promise of Glory for it.

In general, I'd want to have a few Elites to play during the last rounds. It makes for something that the enemy has to deal with, and putting something like a Cybork'ed Boss Nob out there can almost single handedly win a planet against, unless you get swarmed or something. Warpstorm helps against that, and is also super useful in general in Orks since A) you have the HP to survive it and B) it's a huge damage swing when all of your dudes now do +2 ATK as long as Nazdreg's on the planet.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Banna or the Mine.

Recommended Cut:
3x Goff Boyz
3x Shoota Mob
3x Sniveling Grot
3x Promise of Glory
3x Bigtoof Banna
3x Promethium Mine
1x Rugged Killa Kans

Recommended Add:
3x Enraged Orc
3x Void Pirates
3x Rogue Traders
3x Weirdboy Maniak
3x Warpstorm
2x Boss Nob
2x Promotion

Snake Bite Thug is an autoinclude when you get that. Dakka Dakka Dakka is as well, but I often just use it for shields since it's rare for Orks to be overrun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Double posting for Tyranids! Unfortunately it only shows us a warlord we already knew. When is this thing coming out?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Double posting for Tyranids! Unfortunately it only shows us a warlord we already knew. When is this thing coming out?

We already knew about him, yeah, but now we know his Signature cards! Which are awesome! As for the release date, most people are guessing GenCon.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Lots of ffg things release at gencon, that doesn't mean us plebs who can't go will get it anytime close to then.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
That's going to make nationals interesting if it pops up at GenCon

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Karnegal posted:

That's going to make nationals interesting if it pops up at GenCon

Usually when they do stuff like that, they explicitly state it won't be legal for that tournament.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I hope it's not a Gencon release, I have a CSI order being held up by this poo poo.

Anyway, speaking of Gencon releases, Targaryen preview is up. I'm not the biggest fan of anything that requires a ton of setup over rushing out and bashing, and it has a pretty interesting definition of "burn," but there it is.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Question for anyone who played first edition Game of Thrones; are the resin houses going to be usable with the second edition?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Besides the theme, what makes Game of Thrones LCG special relative to the other LCGs out there?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Besides the theme, what makes Game of Thrones LCG special relative to the other LCGs out there?

I haven't played GOT1, but the main reason I'm interested is (competitive) multiplayer. I should probably ask, how well did this actually work in GOT1?

Also, the plot card mechanic gives you a set of cards/events that you essentially always have in hand, but can only play one of per round, which can make for interesting deck building decisions.

That being said, I'd drop out immediately if Conquest opened up to 4p or something.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Question for anyone who played first edition Game of Thrones; are the resin houses going to be usable with the second edition?

Sure, they're just fancy tokens, they don't actually do anything.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I like that it's generally fast-paced and you have to be able to defend along several different lines of strategy in the same game, which can make board states and lines of play pretty complex. (It's mostly the theme though)

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, the plot card mechanic gives you a set of cards/events that you essentially always have in hand, but can only play one of per round, which can make for interesting deck building decisions.

This is the big thing that makes AGOT special. I don't think any card game is as defined by a single card as AGOT was defined by Valar Morghulis. Given the spoilers we've seen for 2nd Edition, people think we're not going to see Valar Morghulis in the Core, if at all, but we'll still have to deal with the likes of Wildfire Assault. With how important The Wall seems to be to a Night's Watch deck, I'm thinking we'll see a new version of Building Season in the Core, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This is the big thing that makes AGOT special. I don't think any card game is as defined by a single card as AGOT was defined by Valar Morghulis. Given the spoilers we've seen for 2nd Edition, people think we're not going to see Valar Morghulis in the Core, if at all, but we'll still have to deal with the likes of Wildfire Assault. With how important The Wall seems to be to a Night's Watch deck, I'm thinking we'll see a new version of Building Season in the Core, though.

The spoiler spreadsheet rules out Valar in the core unless the numbering got messed up somewhere, but there's still room for Building Season.