Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

in america we refuse to say any word that ain't at least 70% consonants

no time for vowels, friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

in america we refuse to say any word that ain't at least 70% consonants

no time for vowels, friends

All Hebrew has to say is: עזוב אותך, באמא שלי.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's weird that in canada power has only ever swung between the tories and libdems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC1GtIhwpSk

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Dreylad posted:

it's true I just really don't want to get my hopes up after what happened in the UK

But the NDP doesn't seem as lovely or stupid as Labour though?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

do maoris ever get elected to anythin

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

it's weird that in canada power has only ever swung between the tories and libdems

this is a side of jack bauer i've never seen before

PupsOfWar posted:

they have quota seats iirc

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Exclamation Marx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Foppery posted:

But the NDP doesn't seem as lovely or stupid as Labour though?

yeah there's a lot of differences that make the same situation from playing out unlikely. The equivalent of Labour would be the liberals. The NDP (Lib dem) never joined in unholy alliance with the conservatives and instead have been official opposition for the last four years for the first time forever. also the fact that alberta could elect a provincial NDP government of all places means that Harper's strategy of ignoring quebec and building a coalition with ontario and the west may not work out this time.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

PupsOfWar posted:

yeah, i voted for this guy last time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c1K7aH2Y7Q

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

honestly I'd be down with quota seats in USA

if proportional to population we'd have 13 black senators and 55 black congressmen

2 native-american senators and 9 native-american congressmen

16 latino senators and 70 latino congressmen (granted it would be hard to sort out who qualifies here)

all significant improvements

Now, if I recall/assume correctly, the countries that do ethnic quota seats don't have 'em as proportional to the population, so if this were actually implemented in the House it'd probably just resemble what we have currently with districts gerrymandered along ethnic lines

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

That's reverse racism. If the natural process of democracy causes a certain race to be excluded, then that is because that race is inferior. If you want to force the better races to vote for them then that is called reverse racism and perhaps it is you who is the true racist.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Dreylad posted:

yeah there's a lot of differences that make the same situation from playing out unlikely. The equivalent of Labour would be the liberals. The NDP (Lib dem) never joined in unholy alliance with the conservatives and instead have been official opposition for the last four years for the first time forever. also the fact that alberta could elect a provincial NDP government of all places means that Harper's strategy of ignoring quebec and building a coalition with ontario and the west may not work out this time.

plus the tories have been in power for a while and the SNP equivalent is already dead

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cool Bear posted:

reverse racism

:frogleave:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

honestly I'd be down with quota seats in USA

if proportional to population we'd have 13 black senators and 55 black congressmen

2 native-american senators and 9 native-american congressmen

16 latino senators and 70 latino congressmen (granted it would be hard to sort out who qualifies here)

all significant improvements

Now, if I recall/assume correctly, the countries that do ethnic quota seats don't have 'em as proportional to the population, so if this were actually implemented in the House it'd probably just resemble what we have currently with districts gerrymandered along ethnic lines

i dunno about ethnic quotas but i used to research gender quotas which are pretty common. they're usually set around 30%, the so called "critical mass" of women necessary to represent their interests, which is pretty lol

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cool Bear posted:

That's reverse racism. If the natural process of democracy causes a certain race to be excluded, then that is because that race is inferior. If you want to force the better races to vote for them then that is called reverse racism and perhaps it is you who is the true racist.

cool bar as a kentuckian ah holt plenny w/ racism agen whatfolk

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mods it is currently 9:08 pst and i have yet to be made pope. please rectify this situation soonest. i have some serious ex cathedra shitposts to issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paranoid randroid posted:

mods it is currently 9:08 pst and i have yet to be made pope. please rectify this situation soonest. i have some serious ex cathedra shitposts to issue.

Y'all really over-estimate what mods can do.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Exclamation Marx posted:

of course

lol no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryi7k4V1fWE

maori is cool, all syllables end with a vowel (like japanese???) so u can sound it out pretty easy:

Ao-te-a-ro-a

good

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mods fix my sink

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

mods fix my sink

only plat account holders can be pope

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

im currently watching this and it is amazing and i dont know why i havent seen it before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYID4Gs25c

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PupsOfWar posted:

Read this as Marios

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
if we ever got into eurovision this would def be our guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWhAoZZh8fc

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Wait, isn't the NDP to the left of the Liberals?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Foppery posted:

Wait, isn't the NDP to the left of the Liberals?

i was gonna comment on that too, but i think he was talking in terms of party size rather than ideological positioning

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

that's some nice ownage at the end

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

i wanna be antipope

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

if necessary i will collide with the pope destroying us both

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

waht the gently caress

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
make me ecumenical patriarch mods

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

3. loving. Hours.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

Don Lemon is going insane and it is very fun to watch.

also I support paranoid randroid for chathread pope. He is the clearest choice.

the real question, to my mind, is who should be antipope

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

wait what

:psyboom:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

i'm wondering whether the rightwing media thread should be opened up to bad media in general, since cnn is so insanely bad

does anyone here post there?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

3. loving. Hours.

there used to be a better version that broke it up into 10-minute snippets, cut with music and racially-loaded imagery

Exclamation Marx posted:

i'm wondering whether the rightwing media thread should be opened up to bad media in general, since cnn is so insanely bad

does anyone here post there?

well it is cnn so it would still just be right-wing media

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ny-times-columnist-defends-calling-for-obama-to-apologize-for-slavery/

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

found it

it is a whole youtube channel

2010's worst perversion of John Williams

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU