Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I built a computer I just went all in and got 16gb.

Best decision I made, I can leave a zillion things running and not give a poo poo. That was a couple years ago, if I were buy a new machine it would still probably be plenty. 32gb would be just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Basticle posted:

Going from 4 to 8 gb is a huge quality of life improvement that everyone should do (also a solid state drive) and not even for strictly gaming reasons.

Where is your av from? It's on the tip of my tongue.

never had an issue with 8gigafarts

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Where is your av from? It's on the tip of my tongue.

never had an issue with 8gigafarts

Terminator 2

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Basticle posted:

Going from 4 to 8 gb is a huge quality of life improvement that everyone should do (also a solid state drive) and not even for strictly gaming reasons.
Without a question, 8GB is really nice for day-to-day multitasking and I'd say it's critical for gaming. To go a bit "PC Master Race", even the console "peasants" have 8GB now.

xzzy posted:

32gb would be just silly.
Can confirm, I have 32GB (RAM was really cheap when I built my PC, it cost less than $200 to max out so why not?) and if I didn't go nuts with VMs every now and then I'd never have touched that second half.

There are some really nice RAM caching solutions though if you happen to have "too much" RAM, you can use it to make SSDs feel like normal disks by comparison.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So I gotta ask, was the McLaren F1 as poo poo to drive IRL as it is in PCARS? It was always heralded as the king of 90s Supercars but I could take a corner faster when I drove a loving Ford Tempo back in the day.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EvilJoven posted:

So I gotta ask, was the McLaren F1 as poo poo to drive IRL as it is in PCARS? It was always heralded as the king of 90s Supercars but I could take a corner faster when I drove a loving Ford Tempo back in the day.

From what I've read, the F1 is understeers by a lot at low speed.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I am not an open wheel driver, but i bet these cars are set up to corner and maneuver flat on the gas and come right off onto hard braking. A journalist's afraid tendency to cruise around off throttle would i bet, result in a lot of weird under steer.

I had a lot easier time with wings and slicks cars after i figured this out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I am not an open wheel driver, but i bet these cars are set up to corner and maneuver flat on the gas and come right off onto hard braking. A journalist's afraid tendency to cruise around off throttle would i bet, result in a lot of weird under steer.

I had a lot easier time with wings and slicks cars after i figured this out.

Not the F1 car, the 90s McLaren F1 supercar, the one with three seats.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

wolrah posted:

Can confirm, I have 32GB (RAM was really cheap when I built my PC, it cost less than $200 to max out so why not?) and if I didn't go nuts with VMs every now and then I'd never have touched that second half.

There are some really nice RAM caching solutions though if you happen to have "too much" RAM, you can use it to make SSDs feel like normal disks by comparison.
Leaves plenty of free space for Windows' file caching. If you have a Samsung SSD, you can let its RAPID driver use another 4GB as cache, too.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Leaves plenty of free space for Windows' file caching. If you have a Samsung SSD, you can let its RAPID driver use another 4GB as cache, too.
Don't use RAPID if you have <16GB though. I have 8GB and pCARS stuttered for me a hell of a lot until I turned off RAPID.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Basticle posted:

yes, I chucked an SSD in for no reason and I'm wondering how I lived without it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

I had a quick go with pCars last night and found that one of the tyres appears to be made of plastic, spinning up the wheels in 3rd and 4th. The other set of tyres seemed to work better once warmed up, although its still a bit of a beast.

Even though it was heralded as the best supercar of the time it was pretty twitchy on the limit and tyre tech has come a long way since the 90s.

Quick question about another McLaren, is it just me or is the 12c very difficult to drive? It feels like any tiny steering input under braking from a decent speed results in a spin, the F1 and P1 dont seem to have this problem? Is it a setup issue?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Technically 8GB is more then enough for games, but having 16+ is great all around because it means you can have more stuff running. SSD's are also gods one true gift to the world. Those are the most amazing pieces of hardware ever, especially the PCIe versions.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

track day bro! posted:

Quick question about another McLaren, is it just me or is the 12c very difficult to drive? It feels like any tiny steering input under braking from a decent speed results in a spin, the F1 and P1 dont seem to have this problem? Is it a setup issue?

The 12c has an open differential which makes it very prone to rotate when you unload the rear end. Use its electronic wizardry, the car is a supercomputer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big 'ol list of notes for the upcoming patch:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes

Tires got a lot of love.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
* Fixed an issue where a pit crew character would at times appear floating above the race track on various tracks.

:ghost:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Full VR support :)
And they mention hud elements in VR, so I will know when I need to pit. Been disqualified a few times cause I miss the audio to pit.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

some good fixes. interested in seeing the new penalty boundaries on the circuits, particularly monaco

still missing:
the bug when the race loads and no inputs work except ctrl+alt+delete
xbox one controller ffb fix
no mention of tires being invisible after losing one and then repairing

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
"* Improvements to AI navigation to lessen collisions during cramped race starts, improve detection of other cars during cornering, and improve clean overtaking"

I probably have higher hopes for the potential of this note than I should.

"* Reduced the effect of damage to the car’s cooling system when suffering aero damage. This prevents engines from overheating and blowing at an unrealistic rate."

I feel kind of dumb to not expect this to have been a bug. I don't plan on playing PCars till this patch hits (career at least) since this bug is a big piece of why I was getting so pissed over collisions with bad AI in my endurance races with multi-class. Which it to say: even minor hits made a pit stop mandatory, despite zero visual damage to the car (any audible impact pretty much meant I was boned). LMP cars not even having the radiator at the front made it so confusing; there seemed no logical reason why a front-end bump would send engine cooling out the window when I'm pretty sure the scoop atop the car is the air intake for the engine/cooling (?).

"* McLaren F1 - Fixed an issue that caused the car to use the wrong default tyre compound."

Maybe this'll fix some of the gripes with the F1.

"* Ford GT40 MK4 – Reworked in several areas to improve handling and match the real car closer - Bump stops settings exposed in setup with better tuned setup defaults, increased wrap around stiffness of the tire carcass, rebalanced base vs tear grip, rebalanced player vs AI rain performance against the AI."

Hopefully no longer an irredeemable shitpile?

ethanol posted:

no mention of tires being invisible after losing one and then repairing
Wasn't that supposed to be fixed last patch? Guess I haven't lost tires often and usually, when I have, it's in practice so I just return to pit.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

bUm posted:

"* Ford GT40 MK4 – Reworked in several areas to improve handling and match the real car closer - Bump stops settings exposed in setup with better tuned setup defaults, increased wrap around stiffness of the tire carcass, rebalanced base vs tear grip, rebalanced player vs AI rain performance against the AI."

Hopefully no longer an irredeemable shitpile?

*dosent make it past Microsoft QA*

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

"* Improvements to AI navigation to lessen collisions during cramped race starts, improve detection of other cars during cornering, and improve clean overtaking"

I probably have higher hopes for the potential of this note than I should.

"* Reduced the effect of damage to the car’s cooling system when suffering aero damage. This prevents engines from overheating and blowing at an unrealistic rate."

I feel kind of dumb to not expect this to have been a bug. I don't plan on playing PCars till this patch hits (career at least) since this bug is a big piece of why I was getting so pissed over collisions with bad AI in my endurance races with multi-class. Which it to say: even minor hits made a pit stop mandatory, despite zero visual damage to the car (any audible impact pretty much meant I was boned). LMP cars not even having the radiator at the front made it so confusing; there seemed no logical reason why a front-end bump would send engine cooling out the window when I'm pretty sure the scoop atop the car is the air intake for the engine/cooling (?).

Contact in the karts is basically an express ticket to a blown engine. I had 3 straight races where someone slammed into me on the first corner and my engine blew a few laps later. Also practice sessions where my engine kept blowing as soon as I left the pits because they never thought to fix it before I left the pit box.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm excited to play pcars with this patch out. I figure by the end of summer, it'll be 99% there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For my purposes the game is already "there" as I have fun with it just about every day.

I think the only feature I'd like to see is a Forza style rewind just to reduce the number of laps before I can figure a track out.. instead of trying something, loving up, and doing another lap to try again if I could tap rewind and fix the error. That'd be super nice.

All starting free practice with warm tires. C'mon guys. :argh:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh, I've dumped tons of hours into it already. Not so much into races as the ai flaws with tire wear and weather were irritating.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I just want more old cars. Give me Vintage Trans-Am, SMS! :argh:

Also, old muscle cars in general. Or classic sports stuff. Or normal road cars. I get that a lot of people enjoy the racing spec LMP and high end GT1 stuff and that's cool, I just want more vintage muscle and touring and road cars :(

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
"Few weeks" they estimate until it is available. So many of these things are hotfix-bait. I hate cross platform SO MUCH.

Also, from the PC Sim Racing thread, I've learned that a racing sim I've never played (LiveForSpeed) apparently has exactly what I think every single racing sim should have: "... the hotlapping part of the game lets you set your starting tire temp and custom starting position (so you don't have to do an entire outlap, or start where the game puts you)."

That'd be wonderful, wouldn't it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I mean, when was the last time Lewis Hamilton hit the track on cold tires?

I don't understand the point of not having virtual tire warmers.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I've dumped in over 100 hours (according to Steam... think my Driver Profile has ~80 actually racing). Have had plenty of enjoyment; PCars is plainly not a turd, but it definitely needs polish and general convenience things to be a more stably enjoyable experience.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm excited to play pcars with this patch out. I figure by the end of summer, it'll be 99% there.
Supposedly AMD cards are much better off (though still not close to what they should be for parity with nVidia based on other games) on Windows 10 so maybe taking a full month or more off might not be the worst thing anyway for AMD users. :v:

xzzy posted:

I think the only feature I'd like to see is a Forza style rewind just to reduce the number of laps before I can figure a track out.. instead of trying something, loving up, and doing another lap to try again if I could tap rewind and fix the error. That'd be super nice.

All starting free practice with warm tires. C'mon guys. :argh:
Time Trial is probably better for learning a track (rolling starts you just before the line with warmed tires, low fuel [no fuel use]). It's just a pain in the rear end if you're trying to tune a setup at the same time since (unless it changed last patch) I'm pretty sure you have to exit out to change the setup.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
You sure do. Tuning setups is one of the worst things about this title. The fact that you only get one setup to save for every car/track combo makes inexperienced setup artists like myself want to give up and run stock.

"Gotta bump up gear 6's ratio a bit more to see if I can be just under redline on that straight!" *waits 15 seconds to exit the garage and pit lane, then proceeds to do a full outlap to get a good last turn before the straight in question to ensure a good top speed test.*

Ugh, I'm getting bored/annoyed just typing about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

I mean, when was the last time Lewis Hamilton hit the track on cold tires?

I don't understand the point of not having virtual tire warmers.

I forget if it was Assetto Corsa or Raceroom or what what but a sim I played recently did have "tire blankets" as an activateable option in practice. Outlaps in solo practice especially really piss me off, mostly in iRacing. If I'm in a practice session with other cars then sure start me from the pits but if I'm out there alone I should be able to start from the last corner.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Basticle posted:

:siren: Next Goon Event :siren:

Info is here on the same google doc, new tab (maybe put this in OP?)

Group A
Thursday June 25th, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Hey Basticle, how are we organizing for this? Is there a mumble server or something like that?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

There is but im phone posting atm so if someone could post that again that'd be great

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

mumble info is mumble.goonrathi.com 64738 password mellon

I'll have a lobby up around 8:30

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
lobby is up, waiting on you nerds to join

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

mumble info is mumble.goonrathi.com 64738 password mellon

I'll have a lobby up around 8:30

I'll hopefully be home from work by the time you start, might miss the first race but I'll try to at least race once tonight.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
Racing is over, Cosworth supremacy confirmed.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So this post from last month

has resulted in trolls and/or very sincere Nintendo fans who dont even have any interest in Project Cars invading their forums threatening the developers

:allears: Ian

Basticle fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 26, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's not SMS fault that Nintendo is horrible at planning ahead and seeing where the direction of game development is heading. The Wii U was suppose to be a strong 3rd party console too, but Nintendo had to quickly abandon that idea because again, poor planning on their part. SMS has every reason to dislike Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I like the Wii U myself, as a gamer, the system is fine, but I can see why game developers do not like it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
"the wii u community"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Nintendo haven't made a good console since the N64, and the userbase is pants on head retarded if they make the conscious choice to buy a wii u over a gaming capable PC, PS4 or Xbox One.

It's pretty much like showing up to a F1 race with a Formula 3 car and crying when you either a) get told to go home or b) get curbstomped so hard it's actually tragic.

• Locked thread