Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Irish Joe posted:

After this season of Game of Thrones, its nice having a show that takes the time to get you invested in the characters and their stories rather than just frantically bouncing from set piece to set piece.
I certainly am glad this show keeps getting better, a few missteps aside, while GoT goes completely off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, Lily just got a lot more interesting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The picture was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Finally, the picture. I thought it was done very well.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I thought he was going to strangle Angelique with the scarf

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought they'd never show the picture because it couldn't live up to the mystique, but then it was really good.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Goddamnit I hate Frankengoon.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Sir Malcolm being alienated and disgusted by the love addled fool he'd become and overcoming the enchantment was awesome as hell.

Not really feeling the makeup job they did on his zombie family though.

Exclamation Marx posted:

I thought he was going to strangle Angelique with the scarf

Yeah, they staged that shot beautifully. Nice bit of foreshadowing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Victor has every reason to arrange for Emostein's death now too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Victor has every reason to arrange for Emostein's death now too.

To be honest, Victor's arc is pretty weak at the moment and he could very easily 'go away' now and not affect the plot or quality of the show in the slightest.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, Lily just got a lot more interesting.

Did we miss a scene where she found out she was dead or when her past memories came back? That was a really good scene with Frankengoon as Lily was essentially acting in place of the audience to call him out on his bullshit and then totally playing him to do what she wants.

I think I also missed another bit but are the devil and Dracula the two brothers?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

Did we miss a scene where she found out she was dead or when her past memories came back?

No scene of her admitting it that I can recall, but I think they're probably saving that reveal for when she confronts Frankenstein.

That scene was really good. I didn't think Billie Piper had it in her after the first season.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

No scene of her admitting it that I can recall, but I think they're probably saving that reveal for when she confronts Frankenstein.

That scene was really good. I didn't think Billie Piper had it in her after the first season.

There was the part when Dorian was taking her through the waxworks that they came upon the recreation of the grave robbing because "a doctor wanted fresh cadavers for experimentation." It also seems like she's remembering more of her past. The only way I can see Frankenstein surviving to Season 3 is if Lily and Caliban become the new villains - it'd work because I can't really see Ethan easily killing what *was* Brona.

You could also say that now that Caliban seems to be "heeled," in the space between this episode and the next, I could *totally* see him spilling the beans in their entirety, wanting so desperately to ~unburden~ himself to someone who 'understands.' Then again, I could totally see Lily kill Caliban and then demand Frankenstein make her a *pretty* companion instead...or she'll just try to do that with Dorian when she finds out he can't be killed by strangling.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 23, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Brona's old accent seemed to slip through when she was basically making GBS threads on Caliban during her monologue. I would also imagine yeah, the previous night probably get some old memories out, seeing how quick she basically turned on Victor (probably remembering he "killed" her).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In all fairness, violent mood swings seems to be a common characteristic among the frankensteins.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Isn't Caliban pieces of multiple people put together? She isn't, that's why she has retained her memories. I think there was some big foreshadowing with this with Proteus being just one body that was reanimated and how fast he started to figure out his former life. Lily/Brona has been around a lot longer than Proteus has at this point. Honestly Frankenstein would have probably realized "Wait, didn't Proteus start to remember some things pretty fast, hey, what about my new creation?" if he didn't have the stress of the witch situation, the translation, and Mr. Clare constantly being on his rear end.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Isn't Caliban pieces of multiple people put together? She isn't, that's why she has retained her memories. I think there was some big foreshadowing with this with Proteus being just one body that was reanimated and how fast he started to figure out his former life. Lily/Brona has been around a lot longer than Proteus has at this point. Honestly Frankenstein would have probably realized "Wait, didn't Proteus start to remember some things pretty fast, hey, what about my new creation?" if he didn't have the stress of the witch situation, the translation, and Mr. Clare constantly being on his rear end.

Victor really didn't have a tremendous amount of choice in the matter when it came to procuring and then reanimating Brona.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm not saying he had a choice, I'm asking whether or not Caliban is made out of multiple corpses, and am I right in remembering that Proteus was one person, just like Brona/Lily is?

Because Proteus was definitely remembering his former life, and if he could, and he was one reanimated whole body, then that sets precedent for Lily/Brona doing the same while of course Caliban who is human processed product cannot remember anything from before he was "created". This has character implications, especially with his certain kind of fixation on his Creator vs. Lily/Brona's attitudes.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Feminazi Francestein vs Friendzone Frankenstein :colbert:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Lily as an antagonist is a pretty good direction for her character and I still can't believe that Billie Piper could act so well.

Can't say I can see Frankengoon as a competent villain though. All its going to take is a kind word from Vanessa and his rage will subside (until he sees Vanessa with Ethan and then proceed to spend all of season three brooding about 'alpha males' :v:)

This show has no right to be this good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty disappointed with Angelique's role in the show if thats it. Seems like a long way to go around just to have Dorian poison her because he found something new and she saw his picture. Could have achieved the same thing with just a random party guest.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 24, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I guess the argument could be made that Angelique gave us some important insight into Dorian's character. Dorian's not a guy who will gently caress anything that walks, but he specifically seeks out the broken and the outcast because he sees himself as blah blah blah.

They basically did the same thing last year with Victor's first Frankenstein, who's sole purpose was to develop Victor's character and to be a counterpoint to Caliban.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty disappointed with Angelique's role in the show if thats it. Seems like a long way to go around just to have Dorian poison her because he found something new and she saw his picture. Could have achieved the same thing with just a random party guest.

It was an out-and-out fridging. I'm not real thrilled with it.

Kegslayer posted:

Lily as an antagonist is a pretty good direction for her character and I still can't believe that Billie Piper could act so well.

Can't say I can see Frankengoon as a competent villain though. All its going to take is a kind word from Vanessa and his rage will subside (until he sees Vanessa with Ethan and then proceed to spend all of season three brooding about 'alpha males' :v:)

This show has no right to be this good.

I love this direction for her. I'm very curious to find out how much she remembers, and how she seems to know so much. Perhaps, as others have suggested, she already remembers everything? IIRC I said in the OP of this thread that Billie Piper can actually act and she might do quite well if she drops the ridiculous Irish accent; I am pleased to be proven right. I even thought the accent's brief return when she was stressed was well-done.

As for Frankengoon, he won't be a competent villain; he'll be her incompetent, conflicted henchman.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kesper North posted:

It was an out-and-out fridging. I'm not real thrilled with it.

Its not a "fridging" by definition because no one gives a poo poo about Angelique.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Its not a "fridging" by definition because no one gives a poo poo about Angelique.

Was Dr. Frank N. Furter a prominent character in old penny dreadfuls? Maybe its just a call back. Still holdin out hope for Jekyll and Hyde.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Finally got to watching last week's episode, and I was cheering during Brona/Lily's entire monologue. gently caress yeah, undead lady. Murder all of the men.

This whole season has been about the women claiming their power. And it's been awesome.

I also thought that in the hands of anyone besides these amazing actors (Beale, McCrory, Kinnear, Treadaway, Green, Sapani, etc) the heavy-handed somewhat corny dialogue would make this show a loving joke. But the cast chews the scenery with such amazing depth and gravitas, that's really what makes the show so addicting for me.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Helen McCrory is pretty amazing in Peaky Blinders too, without witchcraft she is a formidably powerful presence.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

CeeJee posted:

Helen McCrory is pretty amazing in Peaky Blinders too, without witchcraft she is a formidably powerful presence.

Oh man, I didn't even realize that was her. She's amazing :allears:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Was nobody watching this tonight?

Holy poo poo everything is hosed and everyone is eeeevvviiilllll.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Kegslayer posted:

Was nobody watching this tonight?

Holy poo poo everything is hosed and everyone is eeeevvviiilllll.

I just finished the episode.

............. THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Pretty cool though because the only outs they have now are chandlerwolf goes apeshit and the witches are like OH NO THIS WAS A BAD IDEA or they finally find out how much badass poo poo vanessa learned from the "disappointing sister" cutwife

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Was anyone else telling Sembene to at *least* go up to the landing instead of standing *right* in Ethan's sightline? I mean, even money that Ethan goes through the barrier or goes up the stairs...but it's better odds than WAITING RIGHT loving THERE.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, the American dude with bad face prosthetic plotline sure went nowhere then.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I don't think I can possibly give less of a gently caress about Lilly and Dorian Gray. I'm just not invested in them. Put them in the cage next to the Creature and be done with them, I say.

Lyle going "Really?" at the revolver before being handed the tiny pocket pistol was great.

Stare-Out posted:

Well, the American dude with bad face prosthetic plotline sure went nowhere then.

I think he was mostly around to introduce us to the inspector who's probably gonna have a bigger role next season.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
More people should be watching this show.

I think any complaints I have with this season just melted away with the last two episodes. In hindsight, the killing of Angelique made a bit more sense since it shows that Dorian isn't really after the freedom he claims he desires, he needs the chains and a master to feel complete.

So many good scenes this episode. especially with Frankengoon from him knowing that Lily was totally playing him but was still happy to accept damnation to the sweet innocent blind girl being as monstrous as the wax figures she creates. I also loved the fact that everyone, from the audience to the characters, hates Frankengoon and his stupid poetry.

I'm kind of surprised they bought Frankenstein and Lyle along since I'm not sure what they could have been able to do to the witches but then again, having the entire Scooby gang defeated by the mighty power of a locked door was pretty hilarious.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Is the inspector an allegory of anyone? It's a shame Sembene went out like a chump. African werewolf in London? :pray:

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

Is the inspector an allegory of anyone? It's a shame Sembene went out like a chump. African werewolf in London? :pray:

Assuming it isn't a fake-out, I'm disappointed in Sembene going out this way. It fits with his character but he's too good of a character to lose, really. :(

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

I'm kind of surprised they bought Frankenstein and Lyle along since I'm not sure what they could have been able to do to the witches but then again, having the entire Scooby gang defeated by the mighty power of a locked door was pretty hilarious.

They're all pretty terrible at the whole monster fighting business. A shame Van Helsing is dead, he could have been their Rupert Giles.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Really hoping the online ratings are as good as some folks seem to say they are, because the Nielsen's are sort of a bummer, as is the level of activity on this thread (not knocking anyone, obviously). I'm wondering if they're already looking ahead to wrap this after three seasons or if the show has a longer, healthier future ahead. Last night's episode was fantastic and, as someone else already mentioned, made up for all of the sins of this season (aside from a really weird decision by Vanessa to go face the witches alone to save Sir Malcolm who was only in need of saving because he made the same weird decision the week before. I blame witchery. Or chicanery.)

I honestly could see either Vanessa or Ethan going antagonist next season, but I think it's less likely since Lily is being pretty clearly set up for that. I don't think we'll be getting any more classic horror trope monsters added to the mix, but I'll admit I'm kind of curious who their next pick would be if they decided just one more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
always thought frankenstein and especially his monster were by far the weakest part of the entire show

• Locked thread