Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I hope they scale down all the bullet hell in the game currently post-hardmode

at some point there's nothing for skill and all for just getting the right equipment necessary to survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Wyvernil posted:

I'm assuming those are new biomes they showed off. I wonder what they could be? Underground Desert? That second biome with the medusas and skeletons in Roman armor looked like it could be that or an expansion to the floating islands.

That third biome with worms and scorpions could be a desert expansion as well, or an alt/expansion to the Hallow since some of the enemies dropped Souls of Light there.

Does this mean we'll need to generate a new world to see all the new stuff? Or is it safe to keep building my ice palace?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Duke posted:

I hope they scale down all the bullet hell in the game currently post-hardmode

at some point there's nothing for skill and all for just getting the right equipment necessary to survive
Yeah the combat is lame as hell when it inevitably becomes a SHMUP where you fly around trying to dodge dozens of projectiles while you sink your ranged weapon/spell of choice into enemies.

I still love the hell out of this game though and I'm super impressed that they have continued updating it this long... FOR FREE. I wish I could give them MORE of my money so I usually buy a few copies when it goes on sale to gift to poor saps who don't have it yet. Over 139 hours into this game and I'll probably put another 20+ in when 1.3 drops.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jabarto posted:

Does this mean we'll need to generate a new world to see all the new stuff? Or is it safe to keep building my ice palace?
Yes, absolutely start a new world. Lots of new worldgen stuff is happening.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd bought this and played a while (some 60ish hours) a long while ago, giving up on the wall of flesh. Then I picked it up again a couple weeks ago, sunk some 100 hours and more or less finished Hardmode two days ago (beat all the bosses other than Duke Fishtron and got two biome chests anyway). So pretty good timing for 1.3.

Also after getting my rear end royally handed to me when I got a pirate invasion and having all the NPCs die in the process I rebuilt my headquarters a bit to the west of the origin, making a large grey brick mushroom construct. I thought it was big work but then I saw the stuff in the OP and Jesus loving Christ. :stare:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So when will this patch be coming to the PS3 version?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.3 - It's Like A Land-Based StarBound

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Terraria: Bringing Space to You Since 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It's Like Starbound But With A Story

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's Not Like Starbound At All And Is A Fun Game Let's Not Put Starbound In The Title

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've been waiting for 1.3 for soooooo long. why does it have to come out now after the steam sale after witcher 3 after batman, I hate my life now I have no time for video games. kill me

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The pre-hardmode progression works super well and I hope when they boast new boss mechanics it means it'll be less about damage sponges and more about doing different things around the map.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Blind Duke posted:

The pre-hardmode progression works super well and I hope when they boast new boss mechanics it means it'll be less about damage sponges and more about doing different things around the map.

I have pre-emptive bad news for you

(but seriously I'd be amazed if it's anything other than a pile of hp and more bullets)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

victrix posted:

It's Not Like Starbound At All And Is A Fun Game Let's Not Put Starbound In The Title

It's like Starbound but good, so actually not like Starbound at all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JohnnyCanuck posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.3 - It's Like A Land-Based StarBound

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.3 - More Player Lasers Per Second Than StarBound

:unsmith:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Senor Candle posted:

It's Like Starbound But With A Story Good

Fixed.

vvvv: I'll allow it.

Malek fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 24, 2015

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

It's Like Starbound But With A Story

It's Like Terraria But BAD.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Please do not mention Starbound in the title. This was here first.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

Please do not mention Starbound in the title. This was here first.

:thejoke:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.3 - Please do not mention Starbound in the title

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.3 - A game that actually gets updated

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.3 - A game that actually gets good updates

Actually a shame from Starbound, released in Dec of 2013 and still unpolished.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

victrix posted:

I have pre-emptive bad news for you

(but seriously I'd be amazed if it's anything other than a pile of hp and more bullets)

Well there is the Eye of Cthulhu weaving all over the place in the trailer. I think expert mode was meant to change monster behaviors from the start.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm really excited. For this update.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Same

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I've been playing for years and I just keep getting dragged back in my massive expansion packs that make the game better and better. I'm really excited to see more new blocks and furniture sets. Also, apparently there's working chimneys now. I'll won't lie that I've been playing the game more like Fantasy Deathworld Homemaker than anything else for a long time.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It'd be nice if they added life leech to something other than Vampire Knives. They aren't the most damaging weapon but for mooks and healing during bosses they're amazing. The Spectre Armor nerf gimped it a bit too much and it'd be cool if there was a little bit of leech available for ranged.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Rutibex posted:

So when will this patch be coming to the PS3 version?
Different team behind console/mobile so hard to tell. They do work in proximity to the base game devs at least.

OTOH I am not even really that confident that the GOG version will get a speedy release of 1.3.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

It'd be nice if they added life leech to something other than Vampire Knives. They aren't the most damaging weapon but for mooks and healing during bosses they're amazing. The Spectre Armor nerf gimped it a bit too much and it'd be cool if there was a little bit of leech available for ranged.

Well Melee has Vampire Knives and Magic has the Spectre Armor + anything magic... does Ranged have any life steal weapons yet? That's really what I want.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Well Melee has Vampire Knives and Magic has the Spectre Armor + anything magic... does Ranged have any life steal weapons yet? That's really what I want.

There's no dedicated ranged with life leech at the moment.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty sure Red's said more than once that ranged weapons not having lifesteal is by design. While he might have changed his mind since then, he made it clear he didn't want ranged weapons to have lifesteal.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kenny Logins posted:

Different team behind console/mobile so hard to tell. They do work in proximity to the base game devs at least.

OTOH I am not even really that confident that the GOG version will get a speedy release of 1.3.

Console isn't even up to 1.2.4 yet, it'll be a good while until it gets 1.3

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't see myself playing this new content for long, if the post-wall content is still a chore. I suppose I could keep using my previous character, but a fresh character means I can actually use the new stuff I find.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Eventually I learned how to build a farm for the light and night souls, digging a big area underground, creating platforms in the right places. I actually liked that I was using the building aspect of the game for something practical.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure Red's said more than once that ranged weapons not having lifesteal is by design. While he might have changed his mind since then, he made it clear he didn't want ranged weapons to have lifesteal.

I can see where he's coming from with that decision, really I'd just like some different melee weapons with lifesteal, maybe an autoswing sword or something.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

I'm looking forward to new materials and objects to play with more than anything else. Even as the combat gets less fun for me, Terraria has pretty good building/sandbox appeal.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Can anyone invite me to the Steam group? http://steamcommunity.com/id/poxin

I've been playing with a few buddies waiting for the 1.3 update. Haven't personally touched this game since before hardmode was even added. A much better game now!

On a side note, I currently have a dedicated server up and running the latest version. When 1.3 is released I'll update it and start a new goon world if there is enough interest.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
So I'm coming back after not having really played since before Hard Mode was introduced. I'm trying to make a farm for different herbs. Is it still possible to put every plant but mushrooms above ground in their own little mini-farm? My plants are growing REALLY slow including in their native environments.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I hope they don't do any of those things because current Terraria's combat is perfectly serviceable and fun and I don't want this to turn into another Starbound :colbert:

Genuine question, what's the deal with starbound? I got it for free and tried to launch it, it didn't work and I never bothered trying to figure out how to fix it but apparently it's really awful???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Last I played it I thought it was alright, lot of potential not met, decently fun to play but the content felt really samey.

• Locked thread