Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Manatee Cannon posted:

Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience. Spider tank was the highlight and the rest is just a bunch of nothing. I like the commentary but the game itself is basically white noise for me.

Same here. The game is bad and its story terrible, but not any truly amusing ways like with Rogue Warrior or Duck Dynasty. Without the commentary, it's just boring, a huge pile of wasted potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Our E3 streams are now up on our website!

E3 2015 Streams

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SectumSempra posted:

I always wondered if people who hate open worlds are completionists. I have no problem just experiencing a game loving around for a few hours doing silly poo poo then forgetting it exists,( like prototype, this game, some rear end creeds). Occasionally when I like the characters or some particular element I'll toss myself fully in (infamous, saints row, gta, yakuza)

I think more people hate boring open world games than hate open world games period. Watch_Dogs looks like a boring game to go loving around in and while Chip is doing a game job of finding ways to do so exploring faux-Chicago and using not-Foursquare and playing drinking minigames seems like it'd get really dull really fast compared to loving around in Saints Row or the better GTAs, Prototype, Crackdown, Sleeping Dogs, etc. Spider Tank is cool, but Spider Tank is like an entire other game someone snuck into Watch_Dogs, not really part of the Watch_Dogs experience.

tl;dr when all the game has to offer for you loving around is the occasional funny civilian AI interaction and dead grandpas that doesn't sound like something worth spending even $20 on to gently caress around in.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Open world games in general tend to get rather boring quickly, but that could be a personal preference thing. I know I tend to lose interest not long after the main plot is finished.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I started playing Shadow of Mordor recently, and holy poo poo, that's how you do an open world game. I've done almost no story missions, because I am actively involved in seeking to sabotage the "political" aspirations of orcs and get revenge on orcs that have killed me. Each time you face them they adapt based on your previous encounters, and their armor/scars are based on how you hurt them last time. At one point, do to being bad at the game, I had allowed 3 different orcs captains to reach max level, and it was a disaster, because they would be roaming around the world, and I would be on a mission to kill a really easly, low level orc when in the middle of the battle my nemesis would show up bring me to my knees. So I had to hunt him down and kill him once and for all. A task that was not easy, because other elite and legendary orcs would try to stop me. And all of these orcs are dynamically generated.

Also it's assassin's creed with arkam asylum combat, so...

I got it on sale on ps4 for like $23. i don't know if that sale is still going on, but if it is, everyone should get Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I almost completely ignored it because I don't care about Lord of the Rings games, but the IP is like, not important at all, but lends a good amount of depth the setting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The story missions in Shadow of Mordor are basically just one long tutorial for all the abilities you learn. It's telling that the game's other modes are mostly just score attacks that drop you into a fresh map with fresh captains.

Plus, having to figure out what an orc is or is not weak to is something they really should have had in Assassins' Creed games a long time ago. The whole Nemesis System they cooked up would be so neat if someone figured out how to apply it to different games.

And you have arrows that let you teleport to guys by shooting them.

EDIT: and regarding E3 reveals, it sure looks like Fallout 4 is going to have a lot of STUFF for you to just mess around with because you can make your own settlements and towns out of salvaged junk now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

The story missions in Shadow of Mordor are basically just one long tutorial for all the abilities you learn. It's telling that the game's other modes are mostly just score attacks that drop you into a fresh map with fresh captains.

Plus, having to figure out what an orc is or is not weak to is something they really should have had in Assassins' Creed games a long time ago. The whole Nemesis System they cooked up would be so neat if someone figured out how to apply it to different games.

And you have arrows that let you teleport to guys by shooting them.

EDIT: and regarding E3 reveals, it sure looks like Fallout 4 is going to have a lot of STUFF for you to just mess around with because you can make your own settlements and towns out of salvaged junk now.

Yeah, Shadow of Mordor is kind of a one-trick pony, but it's one trick is so good. It's downright embarrassing the features that it has that assassin's creed doesn't. It's the third-best assassin's creed game, after 2 and Brotherhood. I really liked the story of Revelation, but that was the beginning of "let's barf every minigame we can think of into the franchise without any concern for the overall feel of gameplay". Shadow of Morder has a very cohesive feel to it, and its mechanics work very well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh. Considering how cyber-warfare and blackmail are a thing in Watch_Dogs...

Instead of Talion branding an orc by jamming his magic hand onto their face, Aiden Pearce has blackmail information on his phone, so his "branding" move is grabbing a guy and holding his phone next to their ear.

(Or if we were more properly cyberpunk, we'd do a Ghost in the Shell-style brainhack where we stick a wire into a guy's neck-socket to turn him, but that's less funny)

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I'm not sure where else to put this so I'll put it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo8kZZQa4HU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, timed watching this update well, with that privacy invasion. Call an ambulance or something Aiden, jeez.

With that AR thing, is that the only graveyard in the game? Because it seems really silly to put both the wacky graveyard race and the Big Serious Thing in the same place. The Running Dead made me laugh too.

Also yes, Shadow of Mordor rules and it also has parkour beardogwolves you can mind control.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

E3 2015 Streams

That freak-out at the beginning of the Square-Enix video was amazing.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

E3 2015 Streams

I don't think I've ever heard Chip yell as loud as he did during that Final Fantasy 7 reveal.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

RareAcumen posted:

I did not expect it to happen but holy poo poo

It was spectacular watching Chip scream that loudly, I did not even think he could reach that level.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chip Cheezum posted:

E3 2015 Streams

Thanks for the entertaining streams, Chip. Watching them live was pretty drat cool and helped me from being a super cynical bastard like every other E3. I'm actually excited about video games now.

EDIT: So I guess you guys were bored with the Sqenix conference but wasn't there an expanded bit from FFVII in there?

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 22, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RareAcumen posted:

I love how everyone's getting some Platinum love. Scalebound, Star Fox Zero, NeiR 2, and that Transformers game are all in the works simultaneously. I hope they don't get stretched too thin.

I also hope the concept of "give this franchise to Platinum" continues for years to come.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

McDragon posted:

With that AR thing, is that the only graveyard in the game?

IIRC, there's one in Pawnee too, but it's a lot smaller.

Really the crazy thing with watch dogs is that most of the side activities and minigames are actually fairly fun (some of the digital trips C+I haven't shown off are pretty fun) and the world itself (despite not resembling real Chicago much) is a pretty decent chaos playground. It's just the main plot and characters are so awful that they drag everything else down.

I hope C+I show off the other trips (besides maybe psychedelic as it's just a weird jumping thing) as they're all pretty decent minigames even if Spidertank is the cream of the crop.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Chip Cheezum posted:

E3 2015 Streams

As hilarious as Chip is, VoidBurger laughing at the end of the EA at Darth Vader being out in the middle of Hoth was quite possibly the best thing I've ever heard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

I love how everyone's getting some Platinum love. Scalebound, Star Fox Zero, NeiR 2, and that Transformers game are all in the works simultaneously. I hope they don't get stretched too thin.

I also hope the concept of "give this franchise to Platinum" continues for years to come.

Bethesda farms out Fallout: Neo-Tokyo to Platinum, watches internet explode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Speedball posted:

I'd play it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

EDIT: So I guess you guys were bored with the Sqenix conference but wasn't there an expanded bit from FFVII in there?

Nope. I was watching Chip's stream live, while they showed the FFVII remake trailer again they didn't really say anything new about it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd play it.

I'd buy it for systems that I don't even have. I can only imagine what kind of madness we'd end up in.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I only caught the end of the Nintendo World Championships so I watched the stream you did and it looks like I didn't miss much. I'm glad I re-watched the end though, because I lost it at "DON'T TOUCH GOOMBA."

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I only caught the end of the Nintendo World Championships so I watched the stream you did and it looks like I didn't miss much. I'm glad I re-watched the end though, because I lost it at "DON'T TOUCH GOOMBA."

#MINIWHEAT

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Speedball posted:

No joke, they'd probably do a much better job with it than Bethesda did. I mean they actually dealt with the aftermath of a nuclear attack.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Speedball posted:

Finally, a Fallout game I could get all the way through.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

The NWCs could have just been a series of Super Mario Maker levels, I think. They did a great job of making that game look amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I kind of love that with all the Chip-bait announced at E3, the one game that wasn't was Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Always next year, especially now that the "Duke Nukem Forever-like" is a thing and companies realize they can get mad publicity by releasing long-awaited titles.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
So, in the other LPs of this that I've seen, I didn't get that the scene at Lena's grave was a flashback. I assume the sudden transition from clear weather to rain, and sisterwife suddenly appearing out of nowhere, just came from lovely cutscene design.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Alien Arcana posted:

So, in the other LPs of this that I've seen, I didn't get that the scene at Lena's grave was a flashback. I assume the sudden transition from clear weather to rain, and sisterwife suddenly appearing out of nowhere, just came from lovely cutscene design.

The "press triangle to remember" prompt and the vignette filter weren't enough?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Patter Song posted:

I kind of love that with all the Chip-bait announced at E3, the one game that wasn't was Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Always next year, especially now that the "Duke Nukem Forever-like" is a thing and companies realize they can get mad publicity by releasing long-awaited titles.

How soon folks forget I'm the only person on the internet that still uses a BG&E avatar.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

How soon folks forget I'm the only person on the internet that still uses a BG&E avatar.

Have you seen your avatar recently?

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

Astro Ambulance posted:

Have you seen your avatar recently?

I think he's talking about his Twitter.

Nomad175 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 23, 2015

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

dreezy posted:

The "press triangle to remember" prompt and the vignette filter weren't enough?

Don't think I noticed the button prompt, and I assumed the filter was part of the weather effect.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That freakout over NieR was kind of amazing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I wish game companies would do more subtle game shirts. Like one that's just aidens logo or maybe a Blume Corporation / ctOS work shirt.

Most games should have work polos for their fictional companies.

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen already. It's gotta be cheaper and possibly more popular to make something like this than a very expensive ICONIC HAT AND COAT.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen already. It's gotta be cheaper and possibly more popular to make something like this than a very expensive ICONIC HAT AND COAT.

I think they were really banking on Aiden reaching the level of the Assassins in popularity. It was already meant to be a AAA franchise starter, but the fact that they went out the door with an endless array of special editions and merchandise and marketing expensive replicas of Aiden's costume pieces suggests that they really convinced themselves that Aiden would be the next hot gaming character.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Color me surprised that "some guy" didn't catch on immediately. When the most iconic thing about your character's design is a baseball cap with lines on it, you can't expect him to get the crowd to pop.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That's what always surprised me about the online invasions and the multiplayer modes in general when the game first game out. On your screen you are always Aiden so i watched people run around trying to search the crowds in vain i'm just sitting here like "oh my god how can you not pick out Aiden loving Pierce out of a crowd i'm right here you moron".

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That's what always surprised me about the online invasions and the multiplayer modes in general when the game first game out. On your screen you are always Aiden so i watched people run around trying to search the crowds in vain i'm just sitting here like "oh my god how can you not pick out Aiden loving Pierce out of a crowd i'm right here you moron".

That's actually the most interesting part of the game for me, from a artsy fartsy design perspective... you're always aiden and so is the other player to themselves.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

That freakout over NieR was kind of amazing.

That was glorious.

I was over at GIant Bomb for E3, any other good Chip moments from the stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

That was glorious.

I was over at GIant Bomb for E3, any other good Chip moments from the stream?

NieR and the total breakdown that was the Sony conference were the highlights.

• Locked thread