Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Being able to give my Monk and Dragoon Death Sickles for the crystals fight was admittedly pretty nice.

I guess my only option for Omniscient is to run him out of MP with the Monk and Dragoon and send the two Berserkers over to the Minotaur side, kinda lovely but I want that other Aegis Shield and the Titan's Axe.

No Such Thing posted:

just got past world 1 and my team ended up as Black Mage/Beserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. It's not the worst team comp, but it feels like there's not a whole lot to exploit apart from catch/release, any advice or tricks i can look out for given the team comp?

Equip Whips is great on Berserker, and Black Mage can use Lance to restore its MP which can cut down on Ether/Elixir costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Omega and Shinryu are down.

I'll take down Ex-Death tomorrow (I forgot that shell halves Almagest so I'm either going to have to cycle the Wonder Wand back or grind until someone can facetank it).

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Berserker killed neo just before I would have wiped. Team was monk/berserker/ninja/dragoon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
And world 2 is down. And entire 1/4 of the game down in about 3 1/2 hours of playing. Not nearly as good as some of the people in here but still not too bad for an evening's work. Especially since I'm not taking the cheap route (so to speak) of Tossing Gil at everything in sight. I may have to adjust that policy soon though, given how quickly my Hi-Potions are being outclassed at this point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Beat World 2 Exdeath on my third try. Having a Reflect Ring helped. Having the Bone Mail as the only armor my Dragoon could equip did NOT help, and I was not in the mood to try and leave Exdeath's castle to go buy something else, so I charged bravely ahead. Got pretty lucky that he didn't use Level 3 Flare too, since 3/4 of my party was level 33...granted, I had a Reflect Ring on one of them, but given that my Dragoon was 33 and wearing Bone Mail, losing one of my two item chuckers wouldn't have been pretty.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Another #victory in the bag. Now to go fulfill my pledge...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
10 hours in (At least one of which was just sitting on the menu screen while I was elsewhere), and my final team makeup is Blue Mage/Berserker/White Mage/Summoner. I've already mastered Blue Mage on two characters, and gotten everyone to White 3. Obviously I'm gonna have trouble losing at this point even if I don't optimize, but does anyone have any advice for things I should hunt down before I leave World 1?

I remember Call shenanigans were mentioned on occasion, could someone go into detail on those? I only have Ifrit for summons so far.

e: Also, the speed trap failed to catch me.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dareon posted:

I remember Call shenanigans were mentioned on occasion, could someone go into detail on those? I only have Ifrit for summons so far.

Since the Call ability only chooses from summons you have available, by getting as few summons as possible you increase the chances of getting good stuff for free from Call. The only two summons you're required to get are Ifrit and Titan, so by skipping everything else but Syldra, it gives you a 33% chance at using Syldra for free every turn. You do probably want Golem too though, which would make it a 25% chance, which still isn't bad.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I read the !Mix effortpost linked in the OP, and it's very helpful, but I've never actually used chemist before (fiesta or otherwise). What store-bought materials do I want to prioritize getting lots of? Do I want to grind out a turtle shell stockpile before leaving World 1?

This is late, but prioritize Maiden's Kisses. A huge chunk of the top tier/broken mixes use them. Levisalve, Succubus Kiss, Dragon Kiss, Kiss of Blessing... Eyedrops are good but you'll only use them for Hasty-Ade and Resist Fire until what point that you're facing Shinryu.

Turtle Shells are worth grinding (Hasty-Ade is important, and Succubus Kisses are your main offense for a Chemist) but you shouldn't need more than 20 before leaving World 1. In World 2 there's a much better place for them (the grasslands outside Surgate Castle has a 4x Cure Beast/2x Land Turtle 1x Cure Beast/2x Land Turtle/1x Land Turtle encounter table, meaning you'll get a crapload of Turtle Shells and even a few elixirs) where you'll probably want to grind to 99 shells, especially if you're taking on Omega/Shinryu.

Dragon Fangs are... nice, but you shouldn't absolutely need too many of them unless you have a weak team composition or are taking on superbosses. I grabbed 40 in my last Chemist run and ended the game with 10 to spare.

Dark Matters are overrated unless you have a way of killing Prototypes, and even then it's not worth grinding more than a tiny handful. You'd only ever want ten or less for Death Potions over the entire game, and more than half of those are in World 2 or earlier.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Since the Call ability only chooses from summons you have available, by getting as few summons as possible you increase the chances of getting good stuff for free from Call. The only two summons you're required to get are Ifrit and Titan, so by skipping everything else but Syldra, it gives you a 33% chance at using Syldra for free every turn. You do probably want Golem too though, which would make it a 25% chance, which still isn't bad.

See, I've never really gotten the appeal of fixed !Calling. The convenience of early Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh and late Leviathan and Bahamut (especially if you've got a Chemist for Elemental Powers to boost Leviathan to absurd levels) for me outclass not having to spend MP, especially with the ease of farming Elixirs and Gold Hairpins being a thing.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Rolled through the rift, easy peasy, stopping only to deal with some unfortunate RNG on Catastrophe...

Smash through Necrophobe, everythings fine....

Get to the man himself and realize... "I really have no way of dealing with White Hole."

Prioritize slamming face through phase 1, shuriken flying... get through without getting hole'd...

... and full party wipe to Almagest. 150% damage to Bone Mail Lenna. I guess I'm not using the Bone Mail.

And here I was hoping all the fights from keeping the Brave Blade perfect would mitigate some of the grinding I'd have to do...

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Another Fartz victory! I managed to beat Omega, but despite a bunch of attempts at Shinryu I couldn't get him down. I just couldn't win in a damage race against him and when he was Berserked he could just wipe my entire team before we could do anything.

Anyways, the screenshots:

Now to start another run! I haven't done 750 before, so I'll give that a shot, I think.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

NBHS posted:

And here I was hoping all the fights from keeping the Brave Blade perfect would mitigate some of the grinding I'd have to do...

Almagest is "can you handle ~1700 holy element magic damage as a team every other round or so". Full stop. It is a giant wall of damage you have to be able to handle.

Considering your team, this shouldn't actually be a problem. The Almagest part is vulnerable to Stone, and you have a Mystic Knight, no? Magic Lamp the spellcasting part, Break Sword the Almagest part, and then you just have the last two parts to deal with. The occasional physical attack and Grand Cross. Easy as hell.

Jack Van Burace posted:

Another Fartz victory! I managed to beat Omega, but despite a bunch of attempts at Shinryu I couldn't get him down. I just couldn't win in a damage race against him and when he was Berserked he could just wipe my entire team before we could do anything.

Apollo's Harp does x8 damage to dragons. If you give your Berserker Equip Harps and Hermes Sandals, you can Berserk Shinryu and put everyone else on Phoenix Down duty.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm stuck at Manticore and can't seem to beat it. My jobs are Black Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Samurai but Galuf has left the party so I can't decide on proper job assignments. Right now I have Bartz as a fresh Samurai, Lenna as Bard and Faris as Red Mage. All of them can cast black magic and Bartz/Faris can use some white magic. Manticore just destroys me before I can even really damage it.

Do I just need to grind? :(

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Trasson posted:

Almagest is "can you handle ~1700 holy element magic damage as a team every other round or so". Full stop. It is a giant wall of damage you have to be able to handle.

Considering your team, this shouldn't actually be a problem. The Almagest part is vulnerable to Stone, and you have a Mystic Knight, no? Magic Lamp the spellcasting part, Break Sword the Almagest part, and then you just have the last two parts to deal with. The occasional physical attack and Grand Cross. Easy as hell.

Apollo's Harp does x8 damage to dragons. If you give your Berserker Equip Harps and Hermes Sandals, you can Berserk Shinryu and put everyone else on Phoenix Down duty.

Hrm, all right, I'll give Shinryu a few more tries before registering for a new run in the morning. Still debating 750 versus chaos anyways, but if I can get through the 750 run fast enough I should have time for both before I get busy again. Just gotta get the wonder wand back to Berserk again.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bufuman posted:

See, I've never really gotten the appeal of fixed !Calling. The convenience of early Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh and late Leviathan and Bahamut (especially if you've got a Chemist for Elemental Powers to boost Leviathan to absurd levels) for me outclass not having to spend MP, especially with the ease of farming Elixirs and Gold Hairpins being a thing.

The best luck I had with !Call was by picking up all the good lategame summons and Golem. By making it more of a 60% chance to do good damage it became the shovel I used to clean out the driveway that is the endgame, without hurting the Summoner's ability to be a utility caster or have fight specific summons.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm stuck at Manticore and can't seem to beat it. My jobs are Black Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Samurai but Galuf has left the party so I can't decide on proper job assignments. Right now I have Bartz as a fresh Samurai, Lenna as Bard and Faris as Red Mage. All of them can cast black magic and Bartz/Faris can use some white magic. Manticore just destroys me before I can even really damage it.

You kind of just need to burn Manticore down. Break rods if you aren't ideologically opposed to them and the fight will be over in two rounds.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Can you Stop it with Romeo's Ballad?

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
I've been slacking off and only just beat the first Gilgamesh fight with my Thief/Zerker/Beastmaster/Samurai team. It could be a lot worse, but it's frustrating that my only serious offence is Releasing monsters and Zeninage, so I'm poo poo out of luck in regular encounters. I had to spend a bunch of time stealing Hi-potions from Ramuh to get enough healing to survive Sol Cannon, but no other bosses have posed a real threat.

Looking ahead, I can beat Omega by spamming Calm with three characters while the Zerk slowly whittles him down, and he can also wield the anti-dragon whip while the rest of the party desperately spams phoenix downs to beat Shinryu. Tedious but doable eventually.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Throw money at it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Mirthless posted:

You kind of just need to burn Manticore down. Break rods if you aren't ideologically opposed to them and the fight will be over in two rounds.

I am most definitely not opposed to breaking some rods. I was just hoping there was a way around it. Better go buy some more.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Can you Stop it with Romeo's Ballad?

I'll try this as well, thanks!

edit: Wooo Romeo's Ballad did the trick! I am a terrible Bard. I'm not used to relying on statuses in older FF games so I didn't even consider he'd be open to Stop.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 24, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Wow, up to 21 already!

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Monk is actually really good in the lategame when you have a chemist to boost their levels, mine could one or two-hit kill most rift bosses. And here I was thinking they were completely junk, when they were actually only mostly junk! Red Mage is still loving awful, though, I wish Gilgabot would stop giving me them :sigh:.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
First ever run is a triple crown! Admittedly I had Chemist.

(odd. I guess VBA exports at the true device resolution instead of the rendered one)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mega64 owes the fiesta another dollar!

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009
http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=Rixaxun

Well, poo poo. Does Gilgabot read this thread? I bet he does. gently caress you, Gilgabot. I asked for no more red mages!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Triple clear for my first chaos run. Faris the Geomancer was actually my MVP as far as damage goes. Equip Axes plus Rune Axe plus Geomancer's magic stat adds up to a lot of damage. Of course she did get fed a bunch of Sampson's Powers. A lot of the time I just Berserked/Hasted/Blinked her with that one mix too.

On Neo Exdeath Krile beat up on the dragon part with a dragon whisker over and over for 9999 damage and I ended up having to tank 6 meteors while I killed the last part. Having to work around your berserker can be pretty fun.

I'm ready for round 2 as soon as my victories get approved.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 24, 2015

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

I think gilgabot has liked me less and less as time goes on.

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009
Finally got my first triple crown. The chemist carried the run of course, though having to grind to level 40 for Sand worm made most of the game easy anyway.

Also, getting to the end of the void and realizing you don't have enough Mix materials to beat Ex-death really, really sucks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, so I've rolled Mystic Knight/Ninja/Dragoon/Dragoon.

How feasible are the superbosses? And what exactly should I be looking out for in Worlds 2 and 3? I managed to get through World 1 by just throwing as much damage at bosses as I could and praying to god that I killed them faster than they killed me.

I think my current strategy is to get Faris to Master Ninja, switch her to Dragoon for Double Lance jumps and then get Fartz to Master Ninja for the same thing. Have Lenna master Mystic Knight and then switch to Ninja for Dual Wield Sword Magic and Galuf, well he's going to Master Dragoon and then switch to Mystic Knight and be a bit screwed because of it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Yorkshire Tea posted:

How feasible are the superbosses?

You can handle Shinryu with some careful Jump timing. Omega should be possible with Dualwield & Thundaga Sword but will be a huge pain in the dick.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

How feasible are the superbosses? And what exactly should I be looking out for in Worlds 2 and 3? I managed to get through World 1 by just throwing as much damage at bosses as I could and praying to god that I killed them faster than they killed me.

I think my current strategy is to get Faris to Master Ninja, switch her to Dragoon for Double Lance jumps and then get Fartz to Master Ninja for the same thing. Have Lenna master Mystic Knight and then switch to Ninja for Dual Wield Sword Magic and Galuf, well he's going to Master Dragoon and then switch to Mystic Knight and be a bit screwed because of it.

If you've got the patience, you can steal Dragon Lances and outfit your team in them: that'll make Shinryu cry. So will just !Throwing Fuma Shuriken.

Omega's a little worse. At level 40, Thunder Scrolls will do about 900 damage or so while Fuma Shuriken will do 1100. The real secret is in !Jump. !Jump autohits, do just go with !Sword Magic on your Dragoons and !Jump on your Mystic Knight. Chicken Knife, Assassin's Dagger, and Enhancer all amped by Thundaga Spellblade should do a healthy amount of damage. Your Ninja can also use !Sword Magic, but the number of good daggers is really low by that point. Sasuke's Katana is good, but then after that it's either the Thief Knife or, if you feel like being cheeky and flipping off the RNG, the Dancing Dagger. Either way, your Ninja's not likely to hit, and double counters from Omega isn't especially nice. Still, it's an option. No matter what, the problem is that you'll need to get several such attacks off in order to kill Omega, and he's likely to just blow you up in response. Good luck!

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Blah, I couldn't down Shinryu, mostly just because I kinda wanted to start over again. Also my team just wasn't quite buff enough, I suppose. New run begins with a Blue Mage, so this one shouldn't be too hard, but I get the feeling team 750 runs are kinda easy mode anyways.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm playing this for the first time with the fiesta since literally everyone on my Twitter list is doing it. Though I've hit my first road block in Garula at the water crystal. Any advice? My team is 4 monks at level 9 right now.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

njsykora posted:

I'm playing this for the first time with the fiesta since literally everyone on my Twitter list is doing it. Though I've hit my first road block in Garula at the water crystal. Any advice? My team is 4 monks at level 9 right now.

Garula goes into a counterattack phase when he gets under half HP or so. That's where the real pain comes in, since his damage otherwise is pitiful.

Monks have two ways around this. For funsies, see if you can guess them before mousing over.

1) Counter attacks don't trigger other counter attacks. Monks have counter innate, so how can you use that to your advantage?

2) Counterattacks are based on getting hit. Monks have !Focus to do twice as much damage in a single attack. Normally the wait time is a big cost, but what are you after in this case?

Surrealities
Apr 11, 2010
I'm currently attempting to down Byblos with White Mage and Berserker as my available classes. Does anyone have a good idea of what level might be sufficient to out damage his drains at the end of the fight? I can easily get him that low, but I can't rely on my Berserkers to overcome his healing. I'm currently level 14. Also, any good grinding spots available to me right now? Thanks!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Surrealities posted:

I'm currently attempting to down Byblos with White Mage and Berserker as my available classes. Does anyone have a good idea of what level might be sufficient to out damage his drains at the end of the fight? I can easily get him that low, but I can't rely on my Berserkers to overcome his healing. I'm currently level 14. Also, any good grinding spots available to me right now? Thanks!

At level 21/22 you hit an M of 10, which with Mythril Daggers and the Berserk passive, is just enough per hit to be more than a Drain, so I'd start there.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Surrealities posted:

Depending on your gear loadout and any bonuses to Str/Agi that might affect your multiplier, Berserker Galuf at ~16-17 with the Main Gauche should be doing about 200 a swing into Protect, which is still enough to outpace Drains as long as he can avoid Dischord. The grinding is miserable, so I really suggest just hurling yourself at Byblos in that fashion until you get a good run.

Grinding spots all suck at this point - pick something you can kill without having to pay a lot of attention and just mindlessly slam into it until you're wherever you want to be.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 24, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jack Van Burace posted:

Blah, I couldn't down Shinryu, mostly just because I kinda wanted to start over again. Also my team just wasn't quite buff enough, I suppose. New run begins with a Blue Mage, so this one shouldn't be too hard, but I get the feeling team 750 runs are kinda easy mode anyways.

750 mode is best fiesta. Fi-best-a. My current one is my third in the past two years, it's just too fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Trasson posted:

Garula goes into a counterattack phase when he gets under half HP or so. That's where the real pain comes in, since his damage otherwise is pitiful.

Took the bastard down with this, though lost 2 people in the process. Got Red Mage as my second job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Surrealities posted:

Alternative answer: Use Mythril Hammers for the Berserkers, or at least on two of them. Drain is a counterattack upon being damaged, so if you attack with the Hammers you can have a chance of scoring bigger hits while not being punished as much for missing.

• Locked thread