Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Indie and AAA developers are living my dream of trolling everybody. We can't go a week without some sort of gaming related hilarity. I really need to learn UE4 so I can poo poo out a "game" as fast as possible even though I have no idea what I'm doing. Game doesn't run? Your computer sucks. Game is buggy? Works on my computer. Low framerate? Gamers are entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

iuvian posted:

Holy poo poo it's so loving broken. They're literally blaming everything and everyone except themselves and retroactively changing the system requirements.

Still no mention of all the visual effects that are missing either.

It really is amazing how much better the PS4 version looks next to the PC version. Little details like the water on Bats' suit, or how particle effects alter in color based on whatever light source they pass in front of all look more pronounced on consoles. On PS4, it feels like the rain is actually coming down really hard, which does far more for the game's atmosphere than a shoddily implemented interactive smoke effect from your tires.

It feels like we got a last gen console version of Arkham Knight on PC, except in a lot of ways it looks less impressive than City does maxed out. Utter, utter garbage :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The Batmobile would be easy to control if there weren't constant FPS issues when you use it (along with other things in the game).

gently caress you!! Let me play your dumb game

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I've had no problem with the FPS, I've had no problem with the VAs, the only problem was that the GCPD cars look like something outta the Dreamcast!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Anime Curator posted:

I've had no problem with the FPS, I've had no problem with the VAs, the only problem was that the GCPD cars look like something outta the Dreamcast!

Maybe they ported it from the Xbox One. :hehe:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm rolling with some old drivers on my 970, cause experience tells me simply not to trust new drivers blindly, but there's either some memory leak going on or I dunno, cause I tend to have to restart the game a bunch when it starts to chug.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Eurogamer really likes the PS4 version at least. Looking at the videos and even though that's 30 frames too, it looks solid. I didn't get that in the PC version. :smith:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

I'm rolling with some old drivers on my 970, cause experience tells me simply not to trust new drivers blindly, but there's either some memory leak going on or I dunno, cause I tend to have to restart the game a bunch when it starts to chug.

There's a known memory leak, but Rocksteady has decided it does not exist and it's all in our heads.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
whenever someone mentions pc master race i will whisper in their ear and just say the words arkham knight

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not sure about the others, but did you turn on "ignore DS4" in DS4Windows? I was able to use it just fine.

No, but I'll give that a try next time I play. I settled for going wired for my last playthrough, but it would disconnect if I held the controller a certain way. Hate how fragile micro USB ports are.

Also, this game runs fine in combat areas, but jumping in the Batmobile turns the game into a slideshow for a good 3-5 seconds, as does drifting. Low textures were absolutely unbearable, like comically bad, so I had to turn that up despite having a GTX 770 2gb. I really hope they get some good optimization going soon, because I love how the game plays, but lovely performance takes me right out of the fun.

On the subject of actual in-game stuff, I love the new takedowns they gave us to play with. A bit sad I have to waste a few upgrade points on a point-wasting multitakedown move in order to get my beloved Disarm & Destroy, but everything else looks solid. Throw counters are pretty satisfying. The detective stuff is cool as always, and I like the variation the game throws at you. Fighting, driving, flying, Batmobile combat, Riddler stuff, sidequests... 's good.

Oh, and they referenced one of my favorite BTAS episodes on a poster in the clocktower. Awesome.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 24, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Anime Curator posted:

whenever someone mentions pc master race i will whisper in their ear and just say the words arkham knight

Not Window's fault Nvidia purposely fucks up Gameworks so it fucks up the game. I bet if somebody found the source code it would be full of sleep commands.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Not a great release.
Nice effects(which do look great) are detracted by:
Lack of decent aa , so staircasing looks awful.
30fps cap by default
Lack of ambient occlusion
Frequent frame skipping and random frame rate drops down to 20
Such a step back from the previous games.

This is on an 4.4ghz i7 with 8gb ram 980gtx and a spare 680 running as dedicated physx card.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The best predator takedown I've found thus far is the one where you hack an escalator when a thug is on it. I'm sure that broken neck is not fatal. :unsmigghh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I got the Batmobile up to the power winch in the second Riddler challenge, and everytime I fire the winch at it, it bounces off and Batman goes "I can't do that while I'm standing here" or "I need to get clear first." Did I forget something fundamental about how the winch works?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jump scares are scary. And cheap.

Really happy I got this for $30, considering the problems.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Really happy steam refunds are a thing now

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Can't get the game to recognize my dualshock 4 wirelessly. Tried three different wrappers, works in other games still, just not this one.

rip

I'd really assume it'd work natively, seeing as the controller screen shows the DS4 with no controller plugged in.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well, looks like the right choice was ordering Arkham Origins Complete Edition for 10€, that will keep me busy a while.

Seriously, I hope enough people use the new return option on steam to make an impact.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A friend of mine preordered the game, he has an i7 4790k, GTX 980, an SSD and 16 Gb of RAM. GeForce Experience is telling him to run the game with everything on the lowest possible settings at 1360x768.

How the gently caress does this even happen? It may honestly be worse than the Saints Row 2 PC port.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So what are the telltale signs for the watchtowers you have to take out? I flew around the first island looking for the obvious thing (aka, big fuckoff tower), but couldn't spot anything. I did take out all the drones though.

I do like how slowly dismantling Arkham Knight's entire army is broken up into a series of "collectathon" style tasks. It really does feel like i'm cleaning out the city. I've not really seen any impact on taking out the APC's or the one road checkpoint i cleared yet though. And the road mines seem to have no immediate impact on the situational environment, they're just there for you to safely detonate because of reasons it seems.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A friend of mine preordered the game, he has an i7 4790k, GTX 980, an SSD and 16 Gb of RAM. GeForce Experience is telling him to run the game with everything on the lowest possible settings at 1360x768.

How the gently caress does this even happen? It may honestly be worse than the Saints Row 2 PC port.

I've found his problem. Never listen to geforce experience.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

ethanol posted:

indeed, although I highly recommend he also pick up the witcher 3 because it's also very good and runs well on xbox

Verily, this man speaketh the truth.

Also, I feel like your avatar should be that musclebound oiled up saxophone player from The Lost Boys.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Honest Thief posted:

lol WB on the whole performance debacle http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/June-23-Update-on-PC-Performance-PLEASE-READ-FIRST/m-p/572903#U572903

basically "have you guys tried the settings?"

I ain't ever going to trust WB pc releases, MKX, Batman, don't just kick the sourcecode to an outsourced team and call it a day, this ain't 2003 no more!

What the gently caress.

I am actually getting angry at a video game. They monumentally hosed this up, and I can only play this piece of poo poo game I wanted for like 10 minutes at a time because it's chugging up everything.

At least give me the goddamn courtesy of removing your piece of poo poo motion blur without digging into the .ini file and making it crash.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Good news to those who bought the game cheap from Green Man Gaming, for the first time ever they're going to offer refunds if you bought it through them.

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/06/batman-arkham-knight-pc-guidelines.html

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Oh yeah, what's with the boxes of cockroaches on the airship?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

slev posted:

Really happy steam refunds are a thing now

Yeah i'm super pleased with this as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they should have renamed this game "Batman And His Annoying Robot Dog You Have To Constantly Care For" jesus how did he ever manage before without constantly needing to go through this Lost Vikings bullshit of switching between him and babysitting this big dumb car. I'm only just finished with ace chemicals and I already was just saying "really???" everytime I needed to USE THE CAR or FIND A WAY TO GET CAR HERE

also lol at Rocksteady not being able to resist (probably big early spoiler)
putting the loving Joker in again and finding a way to shoehorn his rear end here. funny enough I think this idea has a lot of potential, even if batman has ZERO reaction to this poo poo

Regardless of slow start and car shenanigans I think it's fun so far and the game looks so loving gorgeous on PS4, big step up from AC. Combat in general really feels like you get a shitload of new things to do but the enemies right off the bat, like chargers and medics, even the odds a lot. Sentry guns change up predator poo poo, too. It's good to see the Rocksteady guys already surpassed whatever "new" poo poo Origins though it could bring to the table.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kin posted:

Oh yeah, what's with the boxes of cockroaches on the airship?

If you remember that secret Scarecrow room in Arkham City it says Scarecrow bought a bunch of bugs for "medical research", might have something to do with that

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is this game really that terrible on PC? I bought a pre-order key from Kinguin, so I can't get a refund.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Multiple failures on the very first Riddler thing and I already want to murder everyone at Rocksteady who made this trash that no one wanted. That's what Arkham needed - lovely racecourses in a squirrelly car that flips at the slightest bump and takes 5 seconds to come to a complete halt (because Batman wants to be careful not to damage his invincible super-vehicle?) before it can flip back over.

And the overpriced season pass includes more of these does it? Not a 'nope' big enough to express how not down for that I am.

Is there an upgrade for the Batmobile that makes it not control like rear end?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ChibiSoma posted:

Multiple failures on the very first Riddler thing and I already want to murder everyone at Rocksteady who made this trash that no one wanted. That's what Arkham needed - lovely racecourses in a squirrelly car that flips at the slightest bump and takes 5 seconds to come to a complete halt (because Batman wants to be careful not to damage his invincible super-vehicle?) before it can flip back over.

And the overpriced season pass includes more of these does it? Not a 'nope' big enough to express how not down for that I am.

SO IT BEGINS

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The game seems to have slight performance issues even on PS4. Frame rate drops now and then driving the Batmobile around. Also forget going to the XMB during some segments because it will become a slide show if it doesn't lock up.

Game is still real fun though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do I blow up the turrets in the first airship?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

ChibiSoma posted:

Turn on Battle Toggle in Gameplay so that you can brake and have your thumb do other things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To everyone complaining about how useless driving the Batmobile is, just wait until fear toxin covers the entire city in a massive cloud of fog and you have to fight Arkham Knight in his super cloudburst tank with 5 extra cobra tanks protecting him at like 10 fps

If after that you still tell me Batmobile handles well you are a filthy loving liar.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

How do I blow up the turrets in the first airship?

Back of the airship. Access it via the floor in the main hangar area

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harlock posted:

The game seems to have slight performance issues even on PS4. Frame rate drops now and then driving the Batmobile around. Also forget going to the XMB during some segments because it will become a slide show if it doesn't lock up.

Game is still real fun though.

yeah the only slight FPS drops are when I'm jettisoning at mach speed in the batmobile, which I guess is to be expected, but other than that I'm stunned at how well this looks and feels on PS4.

batmobile poo poo is the top reason why I'd never buy season pass, I'd rather pick and choose DLC than buy a lump that includes horrid car poo poo.

ChibiSoma posted:

haha my GF was laughing her rear end off saying "why do you have to do this??" as I failed that thing over and over. in hindsight it wasn't as hard as I made it out to be but I was still really pissed at it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

also lol at Rocksteady not being able to resist (probably big early spoiler)
putting the loving Joker in again and finding a way to shoehorn his rear end here. funny enough I think this idea has a lot of potential, even if batman has ZERO reaction to this poo poo

The Joker poo poo is really well done. I laugh most times he opens his mouth.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Arkham Knight makes me so glad I bought a PS4 instead of joining the PC Master Race. Though even on the PS4 I'm still getting the occasional slowdowns, and sometimes the action just freezes for a second before everything goes back to normal. It's a shame that Arkham Knight is having so many issues, because it's a pretty fun game and probably the prettiest drat one I've seen so far.

The rain effects are pretty strange though. What the hell is wrong with Bruce's office at the Wayne Headquarters that the rain actually penetrates the building into his room?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am really appreciating that they they just said 'gently caress it' and gave you a bullet time suit and a rocket launcher and a tachikoma and a half-dozen gadgets and the ability to shoot yourself into geosynchronous orbit in the first 30 minutes of the game.

Also the remote-controlled batarang lasts an entire minute now and you can crash it into poo poo and it just bounces off and keeps going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Saint Freak posted:

I am really appreciating that they they just said 'gently caress it' and gave you a bullet time suit and a rocket launcher and a tachikoma and a half-dozen gadgets and the ability to shoot yourself into geosynchronous orbit in the first 30 minutes of the game.

Also the remote-controlled batarang lasts an entire minute now and you can crash it into poo poo and it just bounces off and keeps going.

Yeah I really like how if you glide into a wall at an angle instead of just pausing on the wall Batman will just kick off it and keep going instead

• Locked thread