Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ferrinus posted:

The craft and sorcerous workings systems really need to be combined into one system in which you can earl appropriately-colored XP from finishing small projects or discovering cool things and then spend it on larger projects, etc.

I'm probably going to replace all XP costs with a cost in Adventures as a patch. It's not a system or anything, just, yeah waive the XP cost and in exchange you gotta go hunt a siege lizard or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Nihnoz posted:

I'm probably going to replace all XP costs with a cost in Adventures as a patch. It's not a system or anything, just, yeah waive the XP cost and in exchange you gotta go hunt a siege lizard or something.

That's not a bad plan, but using XP isn't the worst.

Sure, you are incrementally more suboptimal in your build, but your projects help you take the spotlight. XP buys you narrative weight, whether you spend it on charms or projects, and that's ok.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Green Bean posted:

Is there a link to that? I remember looking at all the roll-affecting charms out there and trying to figure out which were good and which were traps.

Since I'm the one who ran the math, I'll save you time and post them here.

Flawless Handiwork Method (x2)
Experiential Conjuring of True Void
Unbroken Image Focus
Mind-Expanding Meditation
First Movement of the Demiurge
Arete Shifting Prana
Sublime Transference
Craftsman Needs No Tools

The first six are your roll good engine, the other three let you have points to do whatever you want. You may have some trouble with the absolute hardest projects but that's about it. The full charm package to craft literally anything you give a gently caress about is those nine, plus everything leading up to Holistic Miracle Understanding, plus full repurchases, and comes out to 14 charms, which is easily obtained on the way to E2 while still having six or seven charms for your secondary and tertiary foci. The other Power charms can be disregarded - they're nice (like the free excellency 1/week), but they don't actually let you hit your target numbers if you couldn't otherwise.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Also, I've found that it's a good idea to be very generous with giving refunds on sorcerous workings at the end of stories. Just ask if they are still getting a noticeable benefit from having this working in place. If not, give them the xp back. If so, the xp is still worth it.
Examples include: Creating creatures for short-term purposes, even if the creature survives; warding a location against spying, if they then move on and don't use it any more; giving a minor enchantment to an item that they give away, especially to an ally who won't be available all the time

This encourage people to do awesome stuff with Sorcerous Workings, and also doesn't permanently punish them for doing minor sorcerer-stuff. I really like the idea of Sorcerous XP, may find some way to work it in. Maybe call it Workings XP and use that General Project Management adaptation of sorcerous workings someone put together.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mile'ionaha posted:

That's not a bad plan, but using XP isn't the worst.

Sure, you are incrementally more suboptimal in your build, but your projects help you take the spotlight. XP buys you narrative weight, whether you spend it on charms or projects, and that's ok.

Well, doesn't it also result in getting essence later unless you're using a house rule?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Wait, its based on XP spent, not earned?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Mile'ionaha posted:

Wait, its based on XP spent, not earned?

Raising Essence posted:

The characters’ Essence ratings increase automatically once they have earned and spent enough experience
points on other traits.

I do not see why that XP wouldn't count.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
To increase your Essence quickly, spend as much XP as you can on fragile sorcerous workings that are easily destroyed and therefore refunded.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

To increase your Essence quickly, spend as much XP as you can on fragile sorcerous workings that are easily destroyed and therefore refunded.

That's not earned XP, sadly. You can't really speed it up without a reactor.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Transient People posted:

I do not see why that XP wouldn't count.

My bad, i'd misremembered how it worked

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Transient People posted:

That's not earned XP, sadly. You can't really speed it up without a reactor.

The real secret to increasing Essence early is to be a Craft guy who converts craft points into real XP to get ahead of everyone else.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Roadie posted:

The real secret to increasing Essence early is to be a Craft guy who converts craft points into real XP to get ahead of everyone else.

You can't do that in chargen. And I don't mean 'it's hard', you literally can't make it happen because you run out of charms even if you funnel BP into it. Craft's use as an XP reactor is greatly overstated, because you need 20 charms to get Exegesis of the Distilled Form up, running, and workable. Exegesis is basically just a belated form of payback for the Craft Core Package being six charms bigger than Melee's or Brawl's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The very presence of the term "XP reactor" is loving ridiculous I'd say. Has XP become a literal fungible material, like Essence, yet? Can you actually torture the XP out of someone?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Nessus posted:

The very presence of the term "XP reactor" is loving ridiculous I'd say. Has XP become a literal fungible material, like Essence, yet? Can you actually torture the XP out of someone?

For Exalted, I don't see why not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That was true in 2nd edition, but is outrageously discordant with 3rd edition's sensibilities. Of course, in its usual style, the 3E design team doesn't actually understand how good its own ideas are and so doesn't realize when it's betraying them.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

The book's done, according to Holden on twitter. Barring some last minute silliness, start counting down the days for the backer PDF.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Transient People posted:

The book's done, according to Holden on twitter. Barring some last minute silliness, start counting down the days for the backer PDF.

He didn't say it was done; he said he was pleased with the first pass over the proofs.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

He didn't say it was done

This could practically be the thread title.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Maybe they're making the book using the new Crafting Rules. Not a surprise it takes so long.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Fans posted:

Maybe they're making the book using the new Crafting Rules. Not a surprise it takes so long.

No, that would use Linguistics. Read the book again!

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Bedlamdan posted:

No, that would use Linguistics. Read the book again!

the text of the book would be a craft project because it's a technical manual, but the admonishing sidebars are done with Linguistics.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nihnoz posted:

the text of the book would be a craft project because it's a technical manual, but the admonishing sidebars are done with Linguistics.

No, crafts would be used only to mass produce the book, the actual writing and layout process is most certainly linguistics.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Theyre using that charm that plucks a manuscript fully formed out of the Wyld, that's why it's taking so long since each time they want to make a revision Holden has to hop on the onyx path yacht and stare meaningfully into the deep ocean

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
It's still not out yet, is it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
It's the best gift ever. Perpetual Christmas!

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
Perpetual Christmas Eve.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

Look, we'll tell you when it's out.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sexpansion posted:

No, but layout is coming along nicely.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

Look, we'll tell you when it's out.

Or your descendants will beam it directly into our brains via the hypersphere, whichever.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Or your descendants will beam it directly into our brains via the hypersphere, whichever.

Your disembodied brain in a jar will be beaming "is it out yet" for at least a few thousand times before then.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

We got a few layout spoilers this weekend, so that's another bit of progress. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a proper peek at the layout as a KS update this week.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
It got in my head a few weeks ago, now I can't picture this book layout process as anything other than some hand-illuminated work not unlike the St. John's Bible.

I'm planning on making a Destiny reskin of this game, and just having the player's Ghosts do the offscreen research/linguistic stuff, and have the PCs be pure weapons. I'll post if it works out!

edit:

Transient People posted:

We got a few layout spoilers this weekend, so that's another bit of progress. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a proper peek at the layout as a KS update this week.

That's certainly optimistic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Layout spoilers? Really? Those are spoilers now? :mediocre:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Layout spoilers? Really? Those are spoilers now? :mediocre:

Everyone knows what's in the book now, so getting to see what the book is like is all that's left. So that probably meanseither art, or layout.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Transient People posted:

You can't do that in chargen. And I don't mean 'it's hard', you literally can't make it happen because you run out of charms even if you funnel BP into it. Craft's use as an XP reactor is greatly overstated, because you need 20 charms to get Exegesis of the Distilled Form up, running, and workable. Exegesis is basically just a belated form of payback for the Craft Core Package being six charms bigger than Melee's or Brawl's.

He isn't incorrect that that was how it worked in the first leak though so I don't blame him for getting confused.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Lovable Plutonis would like to know where are the PDFs.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Lovable Plutonis would like to know where are the PDFs.

This week awesome update:
RT here: 4th Layout Proof PDFs Devs comments sent back to Maria, she is smashing her way through those changes, but no overt progress to announce.

Last week's!:
RT here: 4th Layout Proof PDFs Devs comments sent back to Maria, along with my own. Devs getting us a marked up EX 1 or 2 character sheet to show the changes they need.

ALMOST ON OUR WAY TO THE 5TH LAYOUT PROOF.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

This week awesome update:
RT here: 4th Layout Proof PDFs Devs comments sent back to Maria, she is smashing her way through those changes, but no overt progress to announce.

Last week's!:
RT here: 4th Layout Proof PDFs Devs comments sent back to Maria, along with my own. Devs getting us a marked up EX 1 or 2 character sheet to show the changes they need.

ALMOST ON OUR WAY TO THE 5TH LAYOUT PROOF.

this book will never come out in finished form

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mexcillent posted:

this book will never come out in finished form

Fear not, because:

quote:

RT here: 5th Layout Proof PDFs Devs comments sent back to Maria, we should have some spreads to share with backers this week as we move into the fine-tuning part of layout. I’ll be noting things like the text being to tight to the side of a sidebar, or whether a chart is in the right place on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Isn't that what layout is? Making sure all your poo poo is in the right page? Sweet Igneous Sol. Forget being stuck in creation, this book will go through another year of editing before we get it.

• Locked thread