Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Niggurath posted:

Though I hazard to ask, exactly how large would this FLV be? Cause I could try to see if I could edit it for you, though if it's like a 20 gig file or something that'd be difficult to send through a file sharing site like dropbox.

It's 1.43 GB. I just checked and I was wrong. The next file is flv too. It's 1.03 GB. They need to be edited into roughly 30 min pieces. Keep the crash as an ending. Where should I put it, if you're willing to edit it. I'd be really thankful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It's 1.43 GB. I just checked and I was wrong. The next file is flv too. It's 1.03 GB. They need to be edited into roughly 30 min pieces. Keep the crash as an ending. Where should I put it, if you're willing to edit it. I'd be really thankful.
If you can upload it to dropbox, I can grab it off there if you give me a link. And I make no promises but I will try to get it to work though we might need to talk on skype for you to give me more specifics.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Ok. I'm putting it on google drive then making it public. What is your skype name? PM me.

Mycroft Holmes fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ok. I'm putting it on google drive then making it public. What is your skype name? PM me.
I sadly don't have PM's but on skype just search for my email dutchland_diesel at hotmail.com.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
In avidemux, the proxy keeps crashing whenever i try to save. Does anyone else have this problem?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I like the avidemux interface but it's pretty unstable in my experience so I mostly stopped using it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Polsy posted:

I like the avidemux interface but it's pretty unstable in my experience so I mostly stopped using it.

No worries. Niggurath helped me figure out how to edit. I've already posted the first video in the 2007 thread.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Can anyone recommend a windows 8 program that can save sound profiles, so I can lock in audio settings for different games I record/stream?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

ProfessorBooty posted:

Can anyone recommend a windows 8 program that can save sound profiles, so I can lock in audio settings for different games I record/stream?

Uhh by that description I'm pretty sure that's just any game's volume control settings.

Also you know Windows usually saves the last known volume configuration of a program in the sound mixer, right? As for presetting entire mixers you're probably poo poo out of luck. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does exporting a new video after trimming and joining always generally take a while or are there simple programs that do just that very well?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does exporting a new video after trimming and joining always generally take a while or are there simple programs that do just that very well?
Hmmm, well how are you trimming and joining? Avisynth or something else?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Niggurath posted:

Hmmm, well how are you trimming and joining? Avisynth or something else?

I first attempting CS2 Adobe Premiere and then Windows Movie Maker, the later was faster but it also exported an ungodly huge video file (2gb for 40 mins? Is that normal?).

I want to record footage with Open Broadcaster and then edit out the boring/superfluous bits, and join videos together should I need to (had to stop recording to get a drink and so on).

I'm investigating AvsPmod next.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Exporting a video takes its time, especially for a 2gb file, which I imagine is 1080p? Or HD at least. (My 720p videos come out at around 1gb for a 30 min video) There's not much to do but sit back and get your OP images ready, or whatever.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Crosspeice posted:

Exporting a video takes its time, especially for a 2gb file, which I imagine is 1080p? Or HD at least. (My 720p videos come out at around 1gb for a 30 min video) There's not much to do but sit back and get your OP images ready, or whatever.

Yeah it was 1080, but on the other hand the original video files were only 1 gb in total from Open Broadcaster. Is there an encoding process I should put them through?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah it was 1080, but on the other hand the original video files were only 1 gb in total from Open Broadcaster. Is there an encoding process I should put them through?
So in Windows Movie Maker, what settings were you using to save/encode your video? How did the bitrate for the Windows Movie Maker encode compare to say your bitrate from OBS? If for instance you recorded in OBS at a bitrate of 1,000 and then went into Windows Movie Maker and chose one of their crappy presets, then it probably went with a bitrate of 5,000-8,000. That might explain the file size difference between your original file and the encode, which is why normally no one here will really recommend Windows Movie Maker as it's encoding video codec is a bit poop.

Probably getting a feel of these settings might allow us to help you more, and usually a big word of warning to not go with any of the presets in Windows Movie Maker or Premiere.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Niggurath posted:

So in Windows Movie Maker, what settings were you using to save/encode your video? How did the bitrate for the Windows Movie Maker encode compare to say your bitrate from OBS? If for instance you recorded in OBS at a bitrate of 1,000 and then went into Windows Movie Maker and chose one of their crappy presets, then it probably went with a bitrate of 5,000-8,000. That might explain the file size difference between your original file and the encode, which is why normally no one here will really recommend Windows Movie Maker as it's encoding video codec is a bit poop.

Probably getting a feel of these settings might allow us to help you more, and usually a big word of warning to not go with any of the presets in Windows Movie Maker or Premiere.

Yeah I had chose the (apparently) Tablet Windows 8 settings, with a bit rate of apparently 24.19 mbps. Which apparently yeah has a default of 8000 while OBS encoded in 3000. You seem to be precisely correct sir! Would it fix it to switch to 3000 or is the codec as you say poop to the extent that won't really help, and if so should I try to see if Premiere CS2 has the settings I want or use Avsynth/avspmod?

Edit: By my calculations setting WMM to 3k bitrate from 8k seems to result in a video of approximately 800-900 megabytes. That's much better if it works out that way, I'll see how the result is once it's done.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 25, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah I had chose the (apparently) Tablet Windows 8 settings, with a bit rate of apparently 24.19 mbps. Which apparently yeah has a default of 8000 while OBS encoded in 3000. You seem to be precisely correct sir! Would it fix it to switch to 3000 or is the codec as you say poop to the extent that won't really help, and if so should I try to see if Premiere CS2 has the settings I want or use Avsynth/avspmod?

Edit: By my calculations setting WMM to 3k bitrate from 8k seems to result in a video of approximately 800-900 megabytes. That's much better if it works out that way, I'll see how the result is once it's done.
Well if you wish to test out settings, then I'd say make a small test recording (maybe like a minute or so of something action packed) and test with encoding settings on that. And also realize that avisynth is for editing but you'll still need something Megui to do the encoding.

Also if you need quicker assistance, I'd be willing to talk via skype if you wanted.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Niggurath posted:

Well if you wish to test out settings, then I'd say make a small test recording (maybe like a minute or so of something action packed) and test with encoding settings on that. And also realize that avisynth is for editing but you'll still need something Megui to do the encoding.

Also if you need quicker assistance, I'd be willing to talk via skype if you wanted.

Yup, it encoded at 860mb's, you were 100% correct. To ask you for help with Avisynth and Megui via Skype do I pm you for your contact info? Right now it's midnight and about to head for bed but the next time I do this I would definitely appreciate your assistance.

Thank you for your help, it's helped me immensely.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yup, it encoded at 860mb's, you were 100% correct. To ask you for help with Avisynth and Megui via Skype do I pm you for your contact info? Right now it's midnight and about to head for bed but the next time I do this I would definitely appreciate your assistance.

Thank you for your help, it's helped me immensely.
I left my email address a little bit earlier on the page to help another person; you can still use that and add me as a contact on there tonight if you wish.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I had an idea of live co-op where I'd control the game but my co-commentator would solve the puzzles. The problem is, when I screenshared in Skype, the fullscreen game wasn't visible for them. I thought making it windowed might help but I can't figure out how to make the game windowed. There are no in-game options, Alt+Enter doesn't work, and the steam launch settings don't help. Anyone know a way around these problems?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

XSplit can act as a virtual webcam, its what I use for fullscreen games that have no windowed mode, or that act funky in windowed mode! The only thing is that you have to set the xsplit window to be 640x360 otherwise the output looks blocky as hell and xsplit only captures a very small amount of the window. As long as you're not actually using xsplit to record (and why would you?) that part shouldn't be a problem though!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

XSplit can act as a virtual webcam, its what I use for fullscreen games that have no windowed mode, or that act funky in windowed mode! The only thing is that you have to set the xsplit window to be 640x360 otherwise the output looks blocky as hell and xsplit only captures a very small amount of the window. As long as you're not actually using xsplit to record (and why would you?) that part shouldn't be a problem though!

I don't really use XSplit a lot. Is this something I can do without paying for the full thing or is there a OBS equivalent or something? I suppose I could just stream it but I'd prefer the lessened delay.

Edit: Hmm, I tried recording it with OBS to test if I could stream it well and my recording was only game audio and no footage. Any idea why?

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 26, 2015

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Hey guys, got some video questions here for yall. I've read the OP, but I'm kind of a scrub when it comes to videos, so hear me out--

I'm in the middle of a mostly screenshot LP of Tales of Innocence, here on our fine SA LP subforum. Tales Of Games tend to have kind of neat battle systems, so I wanted to be recording the boss battles, as kind of a way to shake up the pacing of just screenshots, so I've been doing that.

I'm playing the game on an HP laptop running Windows 7 Professional, 8 gigs of ram, and a 2.5 Ghz processor. I'm using the emulator DeSmuME (I own the game Tales of Innocence, and dumped the rom myself, so it's legal to play on an emulator).

Here's the major problem though: no matter what I try, my video quality looks like poop that's been pooped on.

This was recorded with FRAPS and xsplit (in order to not record the whole screen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNrE-CmcXo

Not pretty.

This one was recorded using Camtasia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvmQCjfT-0

Slightly less poop!

And this test was recorded with DeSmuME's built in AVI recorded, and cropped and edited within Camtasia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftGHBaIJJX8

Looks to be the same amount of poop as the Camtasia one. And given that using the built in AVI recorder slows the speed of the game to ~10%, it might just be better to use Camtasia.

That said, I kind of don't know or understand a whole lot about encoding and video recording, is there someone out there who happens to know the magical secret of recording DS emulators and having it look nice and pretty?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is it the general softness/blurryness that's the issue for you?
Because that's most likely caused by the upscaling method used. The DS screens have very low resolution, so to view them in any decent size you have to scale the image to a larger resolution. There's lots of ways to scale images, most of them use some sort of interpolation to "guess" at values for the new pixels created, often resulting in a blurring effect.

Try upscaling the video to a larger size using a pixel/non-interpolating resizing method. Make sure to work directly from the unedited Camtasia capture, that's probably the highest source quality.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

nielsm posted:

Is it the general softness/blurryness that's the issue for you?
Because that's most likely caused by the upscaling method used. The DS screens have very low resolution, so to view them in any decent size you have to scale the image to a larger resolution. There's lots of ways to scale images, most of them use some sort of interpolation to "guess" at values for the new pixels created, often resulting in a blurring effect.

Try upscaling the video to a larger size using a pixel/non-interpolating resizing method. Make sure to work directly from the unedited Camtasia capture, that's probably the highest source quality.

Yeah-- the screenshots I'm taking are taken at the DS screens normal resolution and then blown up to 2x the DS's screen resolution using IrfanView, and they look pretty good--
Here's just a random screenshot as an example:

So I was hoping that recording the screen at the normal resolution and then just blowing up the video would be around the same quality, but it wasn't. So you recommend using the camtasia capture and a more accurate scaling method?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Darth Numbers posted:

Yeah-- the screenshots I'm taking are taken at the DS screens normal resolution and then blown up to 2x the DS's screen resolution using IrfanView, and they look pretty good--
Here's just a random screenshot as an example:

So I was hoping that recording the screen at the normal resolution and then just blowing up the video would be around the same quality, but it wasn't. So you recommend using the camtasia capture and a more accurate scaling method?

You want to blow it up using something with a nearest neighbor algorithm. Most resizing algorithms in video editors, I've found, tend to use a bicubic one, which is really annoying for low-res games like DS ones. If you're willing to learn AVISynth, then you could probably use one of those functions to resize up by an integer amount, or if not, do your edits in Camtasia and output at native res, then just run your video through MeGUI with a simple AVISynth script that just takes the video, doubles the resolution and encodes that. Also, you definitely wanna hit at least 720 pixels on your video height so you can get YouTube's HD processing, which is much, much better than everything below it. For a DS game, that'd mean you're outputting a video with a height of 768 and a width of 1024.

Edit: Also, don't be afraid to use DesMuMe's AVI recording. The emulator itself does play a little slowly compared to usual when recording, the final video that's played back will run at full speed, so you really only have to deal with slowdown when playing the game.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

You want to blow it up using something with a nearest neighbor algorithm. Most resizing algorithms in video editors, I've found, tend to use a bicubic one, which is really annoying for low-res games like DS ones. If you're willing to learn AVISynth, then you could probably use one of those functions to resize up by an integer amount, or if not, do your edits in Camtasia and output at native res, then just run your video through MeGUI with a simple AVISynth script that just takes the video, doubles the resolution and encodes that. Also, you definitely wanna hit at least 720 pixels on your video height so you can get YouTube's HD processing, which is much, much better than everything below it. For a DS game, that'd mean you're outputting a video with a height of 768 and a width of 1024.

Edit: Also, don't be afraid to use DesMuMe's AVI recording. The emulator itself does play a little slowly compared to usual when recording, the final video that's played back will run at full speed, so you really only have to deal with slowdown when playing the game.

I've just started messing around in AviSynth-- figured out the trim and crop commands from the awesome tutorial posted on the OP!

On the resize page of the AviSynth wiki, it lists like a bajillion different resize command, but you mentioned nearest neighbor algorithm, and the only one with that on the page I found was this:

"PointResize is the simplest resizer possible. It uses a Point Sampler or Nearest Neighbour algorithm, which usually results in a very blocky image. So in general this filter should only be used, if you intend to have inferior quality, or you need the clear pixel drawings. Useful for magnifying small areas for examination."

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about? The whole "quality is going to be lowered" thing feels like what I'm trying to avoid, but if I understand it correctly that's what you recommended? I'm still getting the hang of this ^^;

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Point Resize is nearest neighbor, yes, and it doesn not impact quality in any way as long as you ONLY resize by integer factors. 2x, 3x, 4x is good, 2.5x is a big no.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mathematically speaking, resampling an image in any way, any algorithm, will "lower the quality". Just, for different kinds of images, different resampling algorithms will feel better visually.

It can be okay to point resize by a non-integer factor, but only when the factor is sufficiently large.
If you resize by factor 2.5 then every other pixel will end up 50% wider, which looks really awkward, especially in motion.
If you resize by factor 10.5 then every other pixel will end up 10% wider, which is much less noticeable.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Thanks for all your help guys! I trimmed, cropped, and resized the video using Avisynth, then converted the .avs file to an .avi using virtual dub, and just uploaded it, so it went from

before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RziyVg9nT5s

to after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u32TI69Uyw

And just like you said, it has the HD option!

The final video is a little pixely, but it looks super crisp, what do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh rip, I just noticed I have those annoying letter boxes on the side. Is that considered like, a sin? Or should I just leave them there?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darth Numbers posted:

EDIT: Oh rip, I just noticed I have those annoying letter boxes on the side. Is that considered like, a sin? Or should I just leave them there?

No that's just the format the video is in. If you tried to make the video widescreen, you'd either have to crop away some of the top or bottom (bad) or have to stretch things out of proportions (bad). Pillarboxing is just a fact of life for less wide video on widescreen displays.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

nielsm posted:

No that's just the format the video is in. If you tried to make the video widescreen, you'd either have to crop away some of the top or bottom (bad) or have to stretch things out of proportions (bad). Pillarboxing is just a fact of life for less wide video on widescreen displays.

Ahh, got it! Thanks for all your help guys, I'm really happy with my videos looking better now ^^

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

ThatPazuzu posted:

I had an idea of live co-op where I'd control the game but my co-commentator would solve the puzzles. The problem is, when I screenshared in Skype, the fullscreen game wasn't visible for them. I thought making it windowed might help but I can't figure out how to make the game windowed. There are no in-game options, Alt+Enter doesn't work, and the steam launch settings don't help. Anyone know a way around these problems?

ThatPazuzu posted:

I don't really use XSplit a lot. Is this something I can do without paying for the full thing or is there a OBS equivalent or something? I suppose I could just stream it but I'd prefer the lessened delay.

Edit: Hmm, I tried recording it with OBS to test if I could stream it well and my recording was only game audio and no footage. Any idea why?

I want to re-ask this because I really like my concept and would be disappointed if I couldn't do it. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ThatPazuzu posted:

I want to re-ask this because I really like my concept and would be disappointed if I couldn't do it. :(

Just a shot in the dark, but give this program a try. I used it to force Startopia into a borderless windowed mode, which should let OBS capture it as if it was windowed. I know OBS randomly hates fullscreen stuff depending on it's mood, and likes to just spit back a black screen :froggonk:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Danaru posted:

Just a shot in the dark, but give this program a try. I used it to force Startopia into a borderless windowed mode, which should let OBS capture it as if it was windowed. I know OBS randomly hates fullscreen stuff depending on it's mood, and likes to just spit back a black screen :froggonk:

Welp, it didn't work. Thank you, though. If I can't work out a solution this weekend I might just go the traditional post commentary route since Fraps can still record it fine.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

When guns are homosexual, only homosexuals will have guns.
Does anyone have guides/advice about phone LPs? Specifically, I'm hoping to run a basic VLP of Monument Valley and from my Note 3 and have comically little idea of how to post or encode videos.

Sorry about being so open-ended, I'm just hoping to get any problems out of the way now.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

ThatPazuzu posted:

I figured out how to do it with this. Posting this in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

When guns are homosexual, only homosexuals will have guns.
What I have so far is here and it just doesn't look like it uploaded in full quality. I'm a little new to editing, are there post op programs I can run or is there something obvious I'm missing in Premiere?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trenchfoot posted:

What I have so far is here and it just doesn't look like it uploaded in full quality. I'm a little new to editing, are there post op programs I can run or is there something obvious I'm missing in Premiere?

Looks like it isn't in a HD resolution. Is your encoded/rendered file in at least 720p, i.e. at least 720 lines tall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

This has probably been asked; but what program allows live video and audio sharing?