Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

Rinkles posted:

I'm missing the connection between the Leyline and Day's Undoing.

I believe it's because it's Timetwister if cast on someone else's turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ysera posted:

I was remembering LoA wrong. I thought it was nonland permanents. Still seems silly, or dare I say, winmore.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually seems like gas in Modern Storm. Most conventional removal can't kill it game 1 (dodging Decay is neat) and the scry would really help with going off.

Doesn't Storm want to be going off by the time it would be able to play this?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's been a lovely set so far, I want to be optimistic about at least two cards :shrug:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Jace's Basement

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If Storm's at 4 mana, it's either playing Past in Flames or Gifts Ungiven and going off. Scrying after that is pretty much pointless since you'll probably draw your whole deck anyway. If it cost 2, it would replace Electromancer. If it cost 3, it may still see play. But 4 is way too much.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
an enchantment that does nothing the turn it comes down which is the turn most of the major decks in the format win on will surely be the tool modern storm needs to get over the hump

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I know it's a running gag to talk about putting spoiled cards in EDH decks, but there are a few in Origins that I actually am looking forward to trying in some EDH decks. I'm not displeased with this set so far. :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ysera posted:

Also it ending your turn is irrelevant if you can go off at instant speed.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I know some people are banking on quicken but what's the bet there's a lovely blue enchantment that costs a billion mana that makes sorceries instant speed

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wurzag posted:

I know some people are banking on quicken but what's the bet there's a lovely blue enchantment that costs a billion mana that makes sorceries instant speed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A Vintage-playable lovely enchantment at that!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Aranan posted:

I know it's a running gag to talk about putting spoiled cards in EDH decks, but there are a few in Origins that I actually am looking forward to trying in some EDH decks. I'm not displeased with this set so far. :)

That's because EDH is the superior format, friend

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

That's because EDH is the superior format, friend

:eyepop:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Went to a lgs last night and saw a new batch of fakes that were insane. Goyf, lily, and everything else you could think of. Pretty much anything without the holographic sticker has been figured out by the chinese or whoever. It appears they have started making shock lands and all the fetches in the same high quality as the staples. I mean gently caress, even abrupt decay was being faked.

Although things were argued to no end, the only way it really seems someone can tell the difference is the dots under a loving magnifying lens and even then it wasn't obvious unless you knew what you were looking for. These seem to bend just the same as real magic cards although good luck talking someone into letting you bend their goyf for any reason. If you are just someone looking to buy fake cards and sleeve them up to play, well I honestly doubt you will ever be caught.

So unless deck checks for modern and legacy start being run by judges with forensic bags, we are probably going to see some relief sooner or later in pricing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Went to a lgs last night and saw a new batch of fakes that were insane. Goyf, lily, and everything else you could think of. Pretty much anything without the holographic sticker has been figured out by the chinese or whoever. It appears they have started making shock lands and all the fetches in the same high quality as the staples. I mean gently caress, even abrupt decay was being faked.

Although things were argued to no end, the only way it really seems someone can tell the difference is the dots under a loving magnifying lens and even then it wasn't obvious unless you knew what you were looking for. These seem to bend just the same as real magic cards although good luck talking someone into letting you bend their goyf for any reason. If you are just someone looking to buy fake cards and sleeve them up to play, well I honestly doubt you will ever be caught.

So unless deck checks for modern and legacy start being run by judges with forensic bags, we are probably going to see some relief sooner or later in pricing.

Good.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, this isn't exactly anything anyone didn't see coming with the quickly improving quality of fakes. I'm sure given time, the holographic bit will be figured out too, there's too much money in the future of Magic not to. And with a steady flow of stuff coming in, there will probably have to be some change in the reprint policy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sickening posted:

As long as someone isn't trying to sell fakes on to other players, I 100% support playing Magic as cheaply as possible

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Jabor posted:

A Vintage-playable lovely enchantment at that!

which is kinda missing the shitloads of mana part but ok

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Swagger Dagger posted:

As long as someone isn't trying to sell fakes on to other players, I 100% support playing Magic as cheaply as possible

Assuming they're being printed in any sort of mass quantity and are actually close to genuine quality, fakes are going to end up in general circulation with many people unaware of what they have.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
http://mtgstocks.com/cards/3314

:dogbutton:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:captainpop:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Every couple of months people talk about the next level of Chinese fakes there's a mild tizzy or panic and whenever I run into one of the fakes in the actual world they are nothing to worry about.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Huh the planechase 2012 set symbol looks quite alot like the origins one

EDIT: and on a seperate not the very fact that a site exists called mtgstocks.com is pretty sad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Absolutely hilarious. I swear to god that magic players will invest so much time and effort to make minimum wage profits.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Looks like someone found some sweet tech with Erhnam Djinn as well http://mtgstocks.com/cards/11918

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Every couple of months people talk about the next level of Chinese fakes there's a mild tizzy or panic and whenever I run into one of the fakes in the actual world they are nothing to worry about.

I will agree that there are still some really terrible quality fakes still out there.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

netcat posted:

Looks like someone found some sweet tech with Erhnam Djinn as well http://mtgstocks.com/cards/11918

:captainpop::captainpop::captainpop:

What in the gently caress is wrong with people?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

:captainpop::captainpop::captainpop:

What in the gently caress is wrong with people?

Tarmogoyfs #5-8. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

netcat posted:

That seems like more a collector thing with someone buying up the Arabian Nights version for some reason. It was in Chronicles at common, so you'll never not be able to get a white-bordered version of it for a nickel if you want it. No one's actually playing Erhnam Djinn in a deck.

If you're willing to pay a premium for black border you can always shell out 30 whole cents for a Judgement version.

Prices on cards from the first four magic expansions have zero to do with playability for the most part, it's all about them being collector's items for being the orignal versions of iconic cards.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 24, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

I will agree that there are still some really terrible quality fakes still out there.

The best were genuinely the last generation. Blue core paper, decent backs, proper finish and appropriate card stock, good print images, solid quality all around.

Problem was that printer or printers only had 2 sheets of 56-ish cards.

The demand for different cards and custom orders really took off and so they had to change the methodology somehow and now the most recent copycats are a big step backwards. Black core paper, glossy finish, plasticky-feeling cardstock, some very poor images, really off-fonts.

I don't think the counterfeits are ever going to get much better. They are mediocre and they sell tons and tons of them to dumb people so as long as that continues to be the case I don't see why they will ever make the effort to perfect their counterfeits.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 24, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

netcat posted:

excuse me ernham djinn was at least a tier 1.5 card in 1994

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Problem was that printer or printers only had 2 sheets of 56-ish cards.

That's still... 250 cards? 242? I don't think it's enough to even make a dent in the actual supply, right? Or am I getting something wrong?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can already play with any decent quality counterfeits since everyone double sleeves their cards and won't be able to tell anyway. Just use crusty old perfect fits that are cloudy.

Get some more legacy play in

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

normal Jace art:

clash pack dromoka and seeker and hierarch(the bad one):

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 24, 2015

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Elyv posted:

excuse me ernham djinn was at least a tier 1.5 card in 1994

Ernham-Geddon was literally the best deck for a while.

Then Maro-Geddon.

Okay anything-Geddon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

~One of these things is not like the other things~

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Now here's a cycle.

Infectious Bloodlust looks like a card you'd run in a Sligh deck, holy poo poo.

Edit: Actually I like all of these sans the white one, honestly.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 24, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Love the farie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Love the farie.

quoted for truth and for confirmation of faerie love

kind of sucks that the first one doesn't draw you but i mean being just a good faerie 1 drop is p cool please reprint spellstutter sprite wotc :getin:

• Locked thread