Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ryoshi posted:

"This game where a man dressed as a bat punches a lady who is telepathically linked to trees lacks proper gravitas" is not a good point you fuckin' nerd, get lost before I give you a swirly

I want to see someone with a Batman avatar where he punches a surrendering thug.

"Batman lacks proper gravitas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It was all downhill after Asylum. Turning the game full-on open world just made it kind of a clusterfuck.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sardonik posted:

It was all downhill after Asylum. Turning the game full-on open world just made it kind of a clusterfuck.

Games became a clusterfuck as soon as they had graphics. Text4Lyfe

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Sardonik posted:

" I need to have content arbitrarily locked to have fun"

How someone can say being the goddamn batman in an open city is not fun is just peak goon if I've ever seen it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Those people are probably the people who firmly believe the series should have stayed a Metroidvania game and not an open-world exploration game

Which is dumb, Batmanning around Gotham owned in Arkham City

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the level and world design was much better in Asylum than City, and also got tired of there being snipers on every other roof by the end.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

kazil posted:

Games became a clusterfuck as soon as they had graphics. Text4Lyfe

Look at this basic bitch who needs TEXT to play a game, how about you git gud and play something REAL like Go

pissbaby

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oxxidation posted:

The time has come, the walrus said, to get real fukken mad about some video games.

Of thugs, and guns, and knights of night, and hatters that are mad. Of predator encounters, and whether clowns have grins.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Jun 23, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

mind the walrus posted:

You know I only remember you even exist when I see you making a smarmy comment about me or some other poster. Do you just haunt my post history waiting for opportunities to be a dingleberry, or are you naturally that much of a bottom-feeder?

You're constantly in video game threads saying really obvious poo poo in a long-winded, spazzy yet condescending way. I think more than one person has noticed this.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the level and world design was much better in Asylum than City, and also got tired of there being snipers on every other roof by the end.
Yeah, this is what I mean, also it was a lot more difficult to track down all the drat riddler trophies and riddles. City especially was bad about this, a lot of layered underground areas there. Origin by comparison was actually much better in this respect.

E:

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jun 23, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

You know I only remember you even exist when I see you making a smarmy comment about me or some other poster. Do you just haunt my post history waiting for opportunities to be a dingleberry, or are you naturally that much of a bottom-feeder?

There's a difference between pulp that goes down smooth and pulp that doesn't. Pacing and dialogue does matter when the game stops you frequently to chit-chat with the villain-of-the-moment in semi-locked cutscenes. Sorry I made good points about that.

the fact you kept this post under 5 paragraphs is admirable, but basically

swamp waste posted:

You're constantly in video game threads saying really obvious poo poo in a long-winded, spazzy yet condescending way. I think more than one person has noticed this.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

The second one.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Alouicious is a good poster, actually.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alouicious is my Posting Pal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

swamp waste posted:

For whatever it's worth I'm grateful you're able to articulate this. Most people are condescending prats in their own right like Aloucious.

"gently caress you for sharing your opinion"
"What was wrong with the way I shared it?"
"gently caress you."
"Oh ok then, I'm sure my future posts will be better for you now."

Even now he's only posted anything constructive because you did the mental lifting for him.

Alouicious posted:

the fact you kept this post under 5 paragraphs is admirable, but basically

If you don't feel like reading a wall of text then skip the gently caress over it. It ain't a sophisticated skill.

Oxxidation posted:

The time has come, the walrus said, to get real fukken mad about some video games.

Yeah that nerd. He had feelings. He cared about something he experienced. Why not grow a goatee, start dating Winona Ryder, and form a terrible coffee shop band while you're at it? Not caring is the only real sincerity anyway.

Ryoshi posted:

"This game where a man dressed as a bat punches a lady who is telepathically linked to trees lacks proper gravitas" is not a good point you fuckin' nerd, get lost before I give you a swirly

I doubt anyone gives a gently caress if the game wins a BAFTA for writing, but having solid structure and pacing in a pulp story aren't snobby pretensions to expect from a game series that up to this point had above-average structure and pacing. Even then I wouldn't care if the game let me skip straight through every bit of terrible dialogue and story to get to the gameplay, but it doesn't so I'm forced to sit through it if I want to play.

And even then my entire point was that the game design decisions are what finally got me frustrated enough to post about it, not the writing. If the game just let me into entertaining missions right off I wouldn't have posted word goddamn one, but instead I was suffering through horribly designed Batmobile tutorials and forced mission chunks in a boring and frustrating way. That's the real thing dragging the game down.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
So you love it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Came for the vidja game bitching, stayed for the meltdowns.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Back to the salt mines, son.

How come the best looking armor in Witcher 3 is your terrible starting outfit? All the Witcher gear later looks like it was made in a group home. It makes it really hard to play dolly dress-up, which is the only good reason to play games if you think about it.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

For whatever it's worth I'm grateful you're able to articulate this. Most people are condescending prats in their own right like Aloucious.

"gently caress you."

Even now he's only posted anything constructive because you did the mental lifting for him.

If you don't feel like reading a wall of text then skip the gently caress over it. It ain't a sophisticated skill.

Yeah that nerd. He had feelings. He cared about something he experienced. Why not grow a goatee, start dating Winona Ryder, and form a terrible coffee shop band while you're at it? Not caring is the only real sincerity anyway.

Oh, word?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Danger Mahoney posted:

How come the best looking armor in Witcher 3 is your terrible starting outfit? All the Witcher gear later looks like it was made in a group home. It makes it really hard to play dolly dress-up, which is the only good reason to play games if you think about it.

Pretty much this. I'm loving the Witcher 3, but I've spent basically 90% of the game looking like some drummer in a dad rock band dressed up as a jester. Why are so many of the outfits vertical, multicolored stripes?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

HairyManling posted:

some drummer in a dad rock band dressed up as a jester.

This was the target audience for the first game, I believe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's based on a polish pulp fantasy novel, that's the intended experience.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

mind the walrus posted:

"gently caress you."

I doubt anyone gives a gently caress if the game wins a BAFTA for writing, but having solid structure and pacing in a pulp story aren't snobby pretensions to expect from a game series that up to this point had above-average structure and pacing. Even then I wouldn't care if the game let me skip straight through every bit of terrible dialogue and story to get to the gameplay, but it doesn't so I'm forced to sit through it if I want to play.

And even then my entire point was that the game design decisions are what finally got me frustrated enough to post about it, not the writing. If the game just let me into entertaining missions right off I wouldn't have posted word goddamn one, but instead I was suffering through horribly designed Batmobile tutorials and forced mission chunks in a boring and frustrating way. That's the real thing dragging the game down.

gently caress you for sharing your opinion.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

lol at this bad opinion. the best armour is clearly basic feline :wiggle:

mind the walrus posted:

Not caring is the only real sincerity anyway.

:agreed:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HairyManling posted:

Pretty much this. I'm loving the Witcher 3, but I've spent basically 90% of the game looking like some drummer in a dad rock band dressed up as a jester. Why are so many of the outfits vertical, multicolored stripes?

Not exactly unheard of, in terms of design.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Back to the salt mines, son.

Are you kidding? It looks awful. His chainmail shoulder things clip right through him all the time.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not exactly unheard of, in terms of design.

Witcher 4 concept art.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HairyManling posted:

That's the opposite of a problem.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's like Skyrim. The most iconic piece of armor is out-moded by the time you hit the first anvil.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While it would mean that I would only ever wear one or two outfits in any game, I wish more games had the option to dissociate the appearance of what you wear from the stats.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Gestalt Intellect posted:

While it would mean that I would only ever wear one or two outfits in any game, I wish more games had the option to dissociate the appearance of what you wear from the stats.

One of my favorite parts of Guild Wars 2 is that you can do this. Though it's so rare of an ability for the first 50+ hours, that you're tempted to pay money for the privilege, in my experience.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Jun 24, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Captain Lavender posted:

It's like Skyrim. The most iconic piece of armor is out-moded by the time you hit the first anvil.

New Vegas has the opposite issue, where the ranger armor used on the cover and in all the promos is high-level faction armor that's really rare and then when you finally encounter it most playthroughs will be unable to actually get any practical use out of it because it's flagged as an NCR disguise.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alouicious posted:

it's based on a polish pulp fantasy novel, that's the intended experience.

If you've ever been to Poland then this makes perfect sense, yes.

pictured: probably some Lord's son in Witcher 3

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I can't believe the nerve of the fucker complaining about a game in complaining about a game thread, there should be a law

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Szurumbur posted:

I can't believe the nerve of the fucker complaining about a game in complaining about a game thread, there should be a law

Hey i think this design choice is weird
Vs.
Let me write a dissertation on the moral quandaries I'm being coerced into

Sometimes you just need to laugh with us instead of defending angrybatmannonfan

I'm still loving the witcher 3 but I really wish I could jump in combat. I was in a boat and got attacked by a siren that was stuck on the boat. I couldn't hit it or get away so I just got to stand there getting screamed at until I died.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Please lay off the guy who posted the long stupid rant about a game that had been out for something like an hour because he managed to post the rant in the correct thread on only his second attempt.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

New Vegas has the opposite issue, where the ranger armor used on the cover and in all the promos is high-level faction armor that's really rare and then when you finally encounter it most playthroughs will be unable to actually get any practical use out of it because it's flagged as an NCR disguise.

You can get it pretty easy by doing NCR quests which are heaped upon you by the dozen in the early game.

The real challenge is trying to get a ranger sequoia without killing the ranger it belongs to.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Zombie Boat posted:

Hey i think this design choice is weird
Vs.
Let me write a dissertation on the moral quandaries I'm being coerced into

Sometimes you just need to laugh with us instead of defending angrybatmannonfan

I'm still loving the witcher 3 but I really wish I could jump in combat. I was in a boat and got attacked by a siren that was stuck on the boat. I couldn't hit it or get away so I just got to stand there getting screamed at until I died.

I've only read the gameplay parts and omitted the spoilers, so if there's some moral quandary in the new Batman, a game in which you very clearly kill massive amount of people while saying you've just maimed them for life, so you're a good guy, then I personally wouldn't care. But some would, and I think people generally praised the previous two Rocksteady Batman games for writing, didn't they?

And my enjoyment of The Witcher 3 is inversely proportional to the amount of combat I have to do, I've just finished the Kaer Morhen segment with the witchers' party and it was amazing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tweet Me Balls posted:

You can get it pretty easy by doing NCR quests which are heaped upon you by the dozen in the early game.

The real challenge is trying to get a ranger sequoia without killing the ranger it belongs to.

Well, that's the easy part. You just reverse-pickpocket a better gun into his inventory, and take the Sequoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

Please lay off the guy who posted the long stupid rant about a game that had been out for something like an hour because he managed to post the rant in the correct thread on only his second attempt.

"I have severe issues with the way batman is presented which affects the overall experience on a major way, so much so that I need to post about it in PYF after 30 minutes of gameplay" is an attitude best saved for the games thread, where people who care about that game as much as he does can properly debate the ethics in game vigilantism.

The little thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the Batman Beyond DLC suit. BB was one of my favorite shows as a kid/tween, and it looks much less like a sleek batsuit used for acrobatics and more like a Razer-sponsored batsuit powered by Nvidia :smith:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/file...ers/arkham2.jpg

The suit in question. Mobile rehosting isn't working so it's just linked, not img'd

bawk has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jun 24, 2015