Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Some of these OC numbers for the 980ti are simply aftermarket card values too... so its not like the majority of 980ti buyers from this point on have to touch a single setting to soundly beat the fury x.

I woke up hoping it'd be at least a little better across the board while winning heavily in some odd category or two but this isn't great. Could be worse I guess.

I am digging the upbeat attitude from these review sites lol.

HardOCP ripped AMD a new one in their conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Guess whos not getting gpus to review anymore

:colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Wait they got a card?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

Guess whos not getting gpus to review anymore

:colbert:

Lol thats what I was thinking

Also

HardOCP posted:

AMD's GPU program for the first time has truly reminded us of its CPU program.

:iceburn:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I am digging the upbeat attitude from these review sites lol.

Sort of have to be upbeat about it or AMD will refuse to provide review samples. :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nvidia's $649 price point on the ti really hosed them

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia's $649 price point on the ti really hosed them

Yep. That card being that soon after Titan X and so close in performance was brutal. Fury X would've done fine against Titan X.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
So to stay positive about it, you can at least say if you bought a Fury X you aren't a dumbass. Also, if you wanted the small form factor but had a spot for the radiator it might even be the best choice for some people.

Anyways, off to buy a 980ti :v: lol

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
They're probably kicking themselves now that they could have charged $700 or $749 even :homebrew:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ouch, that hardocp review really is damning.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/11

quote:

The new AMD Fiji GPU and Fury X video card looks awesome on paper, but has underwhelmed and disappointed us when it comes to real world gameplay. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X feels like a proof of concept for HBM technology.

In terms of gaming performance, the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X seems like better competition for the GeForce GTX 980 4GB video card, rather than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. GTX 980 cards are selling for as low at $490 today. This is not a good thing since the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is priced at $649, the same price as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

(Editor's Note: AMD's Fury X is starting to show up at Amazon and Newegg this morning.)

Usually trying to decide between two video cards at the same price point is a wash, with very even and split performance. However, this is not the case this time with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and GeForce GTX 980 Ti. There is a definite pattern that leads to one video card being the best value for the money, and it is GeForce GTX 980 Ti, not the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Closeout pricing on fury X has already begun

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9777989

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If AMD was actually trying to manipulate reviews and gave HardOCP a card, that's ridiculous in the extreme. Those are the guys who if I remember right pulled a DIRT game because its features favored AMD, and are now running Project Cars and talking poo poo at AMD for not magically making it run well. I simply cannot believe that AMD was trying to ransom cards for good coverage and those guys got one.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lol :wtc:

xthetenth posted:

If AMD was actually trying to manipulate reviews and gave HardOCP a card, that's ridiculous in the extreme. Those are the guys who if I remember right pulled a DIRT game because its features favored AMD, and are now running Project Cars and talking poo poo at AMD for not magically making it run well.

I dont know what they've done in regards to AMD, but they are a rough bunch. To be fair, they aren't easy on a lot of things. Also they happen to be right this time :x

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I get access denied on that link? Is that the joke?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

I get access denied on that link? Is that the joke?

I doubt it will pan out though

edit: Well, it let me buy it :confused: I now own a Fury X. Hmmmm...

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 24, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

xthetenth posted:

If AMD was actually trying to manipulate reviews and gave HardOCP a card, that's ridiculous in the extreme. Those are the guys who if I remember right pulled a DIRT game because its features favored AMD, and are now running Project Cars and talking poo poo at AMD for not magically making it run well. I simply cannot believe that AMD was trying to ransom cards for good coverage and those guys got one.

...? There's no Project CARS test in the HardOCP review or any of their other recent reviews.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

repiv posted:

...? There's no Project CARS test in the HardOCP review or any of their other recent reviews.

They copped a metric ton of poo poo for it. Glad to see it's gone.

And they gave the 960 a bit of a hard time on the way to a silver award so they do tend to give a harder time in general.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 24, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Did they retcon their reviews? Not a single one they've written since PCars came out mentions the game.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol :wtc:

I dont know what they've done in regards to AMD, but they are a rough bunch. To be fair, they aren't easy on a lot of things. Also they happen to be right this time :x

Lmao what on earth :wtc: is right

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

That TessMark is indeed :saddowns: are we sure the Fury has Tonga blood in its veins?

Otherwise gotta agree with HardOCP, nice demo and a sign of life from ATI but really no point in buying one.

sauer kraut posted:

Is that the watercooled X top model failing to beat a 980ti with factory 1.2GHz OC? Good luck selling it plus that Star Wars game for more than 550$

TigerDirect know what time it is.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 24, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don't know. I might be an uncaffinated idiot who mixed up sites, but I can't even seem to find any coverage of the game and I'm pretty drat sure they at least did an article on it.

And yeah, if they somehow decided to go with Hawaii ROPs and everything, that would make a lot more sense on where it ends up in some cases.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 24, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

That TessMark is indeed :saddowns: are we sure the Fury has Tonga blood in its veins?

Tonga was only competitive with first gen Kepler, better than what they had but still miles behind:

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 24, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, okay, 980 Ti it is for me. Sorry, AMD.

It's weird. I consider myself someone who operates on a strict price/performance basis, and I've owned and used various Intel/AMD or AMD/Nvidia rigs in the past, but I don't feel good about going Intel/Nvidia.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, okay, 980 Ti it is for me. Sorry, AMD.

It's weird. I consider myself someone who operates on a strict price/performance basis, and I've owned and used various Intel/AMD or AMD/Nvidia rigs in the past, but I don't feel good about going Intel/Nvidia.

Don't feel bad you're about to have an awesome combo!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I sure hope AMD can whip out some driver/bios magic in the next few weeks, for their sake.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

El Scotch posted:

I sure hope AMD can whip out some driver/bios magic in the next few weeks, for their sake.
I'm more hopeful about the form factors HBM will give us in the long run. The age of foot-long video cards should have been done long ago.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Would I have an easier time selling my G1 980s if I sold the cards and water blocks separately? Would I even be able to sell the blocks by themself?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Would I have an easier time selling my G1 980s if I sold the cards and water blocks separately? Would I even be able to sell the blocks by themself?

Water cooling enthusiasts are probably gonna all want ti's or titanx's. Id definitely part them out.

If the g1 is a reference PCB then does the block work on 980's, ti's and x's?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I mean, you shouldn't feel "bad" it's just a product. We as consumers are under no obligation to prop up inferior products. It sucks to think that AMD could be gone some day and Nvidia and Intel will be all there is, but there's not a lot we can do about it.

I do think AMD will have good products in the future, but they are going to have a hell of a time getting to the future. I thought Fury/Fury X would be strong to at least partially offset the rebadge mess, but oh well. They will just have to weather the next year or so and be ready to fully revamp their product line with strong parts...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Part of it i think is setting expectations. I mean you want to hype your product but dont be unrealistic. Plus the whole telling 390x buyers they need 8gb for 4k and then telling fury x buyers that 4gb is enough.

Also this

"Fiji's use of HBM is a totally new thing and the driver modifications needed to properly manage 4GB of memory on a wider, but slower, memory bus are still being perfected. AMD told me this week that the driver would have to be tuned "for each game". This means that AMD needs to dedicate itself to this cause if it wants Fury X and the Fury family to have a nice, long, successful lifespan."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm more hopeful about the form factors HBM will give us in the long run. The age of foot-long video cards should have been done long ago.

Aye. I really want the Fury X2 to be worth it, because I love the idea of sticking a HBM powerhouse in an itx case and downsizing. If AMD can't make it viable, there's no incentive for Nvidia to do it with Pascal - aside from a new $3000 Titan Q or whatever the hell they call it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
In my opinion AMD introduced the new HBM stack in the wrong order - the high end card shouldn't have come so soon. Fury Nano or maybe Fury Not-X would have been a better introduction, and the 4GiB of VRAM easier to swallow, and then boom, throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Most cards fit in most itx cases anyway.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

In my opinion AMD introduced the new HBM stack in the wrong order - the high end card shouldn't have come so soon. Fury Nano at a good price would have been a better product, and then boom, throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.
Unfortunately, the market demands flagship cards first, which is why Nvidia shuffled their Maxwell test bed (750ti) in a previous gen line instead of calling it the 940/950 or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yep.

It isn't our responsibility to reward companies for simply existing, it isn't our fault AMD isn't competitive, it's AMDs.

Nvidia already has a monopoly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

beejay posted:

I mean, you shouldn't feel "bad" it's just a product. We as consumers are under no obligation to prop up inferior products. It sucks to think that AMD could be gone some day and Nvidia and Intel will be all there is, but there's not a lot we can do about it.

I do think AMD will have good products in the future, but they are going to have a hell of a time getting to the future. I thought Fury/Fury X would be strong to at least partially offset the rebadge mess, but oh well. They will just have to weather the next year or so and be ready to fully revamp their product line with strong parts...

Exactly. If you want to help support the company with bad market share, you time the market so you can buy a good product they make at a good price. Buying a product that doesn't make the most sense to you because of the brand is why the market is such a mess.

HalloKitty posted:

In my opinion AMD introduced the new HBM stack in the wrong order - the high end card shouldn't have come so soon. Fury Nano or maybe Fury Not-X would have been a better introduction, and the 4GiB of VRAM easier to swallow, and then boom, throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.

That might have gone better, but they did have to worry about the 980 Ti poaching all their market share. They probably should have gone non-X first to get time for overvolt support though, decent OC could have brought it up to competitive.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

xthetenth posted:

Don't know. I might be an uncaffinated idiot who mixed up sites, but I can't even seem to find any coverage of the game and I'm pretty drat sure they at least did an article on it.

And yeah, if they somehow decided to go with Hawaii ROPs and everything, that would make a lot more sense on where it ends up in some cases.

It certainly looks like they did: http://techreport.com/review/28499/amd-radeon-fury-x-architecture-revealed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.

Yeah about AMDs ground-up low-level driver path being their saving grace

quote:

Initially, I tested BF4 on the Radeons using the Mantle API, since it was available. Oddly enough, the Fury X's performance was kind of lackluster with Mantle, so I tried switching over to Direct3D for that card. Doing so boosted performance from about 32 FPS to 40 FPS. The results below for the Fury X come from D3D.

:suicide:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

xthetenth posted:

That might have gone better, but they did have to worry about the 980 Ti poaching all their market share.

Yeah, but what they've done now, they could have tested themselves in the labs before they let the cards out for review, and seen the future. The future where Fury X makes no difference to the 980 Ti's marketshare at all.

repiv posted:

Yeah about AMDs ground-up low-level driver path being their saving grace
:suicide:

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Odd. I wonder why they didn't go with Tonga? Yield problems?