Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Mega64 posted:

Fartz

Fartz

Fartz

Fartz

Fartz

Fartz

Goddammit. Playing on GBA was a terrible choice if I wanted to be one of the first fifty. I gotta pick up the pace. D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

KharlanTree posted:

Goddammit. Playing on GBA was a terrible choice if I wanted to be one of the first fifty. I gotta pick up the pace. D:

I've made peace with that fact that my Fartz probably won't among those. I'm just rolling with it and enjoying the game.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

So on one hand, I feel like the party I got doesn't have too much synergy. On the other hand, I have Chemist and Mystic Knight so I don't think it really matters.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Final team is Mystic Knight/Summoner/Red Mage/Red Mage. Bleh.

What are my chances on superbosses?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

theshim posted:

You can kill shinryu with the wonder wand and phoenix downs/golem, Omega is possible but Id say not worth the effort.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

So on one hand, I feel like the party I got doesn't have too much synergy. On the other hand, I have Chemist and Mystic Knight so I don't think it really matters.

Plenty of synergy, actually. !Drink or !Mix on the Monk to boost levels which also boosts the Monk's attack, as well as giving out double HP on game's highest Stamina. By the same token, the Chemist can take Barehanded for the same synergy in any battle where you feel !Mix is overkill. Mystic Knight can take Barehanded for extra Strength or !Gaia with not awful Magic for free back row attacks for randoms and such. Geomancer loves Barehanded for actual power, Sword Magic for making daggers not awful, or anything from the Chemist because Chemist.

Just because something's not !Dualcast !Summon doesn't mean synergy isn't there.

theshim posted:

For Shinryu, you can Berserk/Golem. For Omega, your best bet is Reflect Rings plus !Dualcasted Thundara. I'm pretty sure that the bug involving Reflecting not the full quantity of spells off your team hasn't been fixed in the GBA version (if you're using that). In that case, only use three Reflect Rings. This way, you won't provoke his counterattacks.

Alternatively, you can use Bahamut or Ramuh. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you offhand which would be more effective. !Summon would, of course, provoke counterattacks, but hey, the option's there. Another option is !Spellblade on everyone and swing in with Thundaga attacks with daggers. You're far less likely to hit this way, and I think the damage drop off past the Assassin's Dagger would be too much, but the option's there for at least one or two characters

I have no idea if Omega is beatable, mind, as he's good at murdering. I can say that you can actually damage him with reasonable chances, which is more than some parties can boast.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Any advice for:

Knight/Berserker/Beastmaster/I haven't unlocked slot 4 yet?

There's going to be a pronounced lack of healing, but a 2handed berserker is hilarious, and Beastmaster will allow me to get past Sandworm easily. I've seen good things about !Calm spam, too.

LiquidFlame was a real pain in the rear end since I kept getting Blaze-countered from my zerker hits. But Garula went down in like 3 seconds, and I easily could've gotten the last 2 elixirs I punted on in Karnak castle: Iron Claw went down in like 3 seconds too.

Surrealities
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll go down the list and try all of them in order of grind needed and see what sticks.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
How long does the fiesta run? I'm interested in making my first completed run of FFV during this event (I've gone to World 2 once before) but timing's an issue due to an impending move 130 miles away next week. (Well, money too but that's a separate issue.) I couldn't find an answer on the official site, so figured I'd ask here.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

theshim posted:

you might actually be able to pull omega with that team, spellblade thundaga's going to do decent damage (5-6k on a hit probably) and all three MKs and RMs can use it. you'd only need ten or eleven hits to kill it. no clue if you could actually win, he's a shithead, but you've got a poo poo

also what up shim

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I am doing this for fun and I didn't notice this before the registration so I couldn't do the risk, but I am having a fun normal run anyhow. This is my first time through 5, the first random got me a White Mage, which I know will be nice later but right now it is making the early game a bit of a drag, I just got the water crystal jobs and I Gilgabot handed me... Berserker. :suicide: So uh, any advice going forward for a total newbie?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

axelsoar posted:

I am doing this for fun and I didn't notice this before the registration so I couldn't do the risk, but I am having a fun normal run anyhow. This is my first time through 5, the first random got me a White Mage, which I know will be nice later but right now it is making the early game a bit of a drag, I just got the water crystal jobs and I Gilgabot handed me... Berserker. :suicide: So uh, any advice going forward for a total newbie?

Berserkers can be a bit frustrating, but theyre decent damage and can carry you through most of the early bosses with proper healing. Just be ready for a mildly painful byblos, it might require a little bit of grinding to kill him since he has a drain counter.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if you have a class that can break rods then no matter what else is in your comp you can usually just use 2 or 3 flame rods to win

Wolverine Tamer
Jul 29, 2013

Just made it to world 2.

I'm going to miss those sand bears, I feel like we had a connection.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

you might actually be able to pull omega with that team, spellblade thundaga's going to do decent damage (5-6k on a hit probably) and all three MKs and RMs can use it. you'd only need ten or eleven hits to kill it. no clue if you could actually win, he's a shithead, but you've got a poo poo

also what up shim

Problem with that is no reliable way to stop him, and no auto-hit command, so you're going to have to contend with all of Omega's incoming attacks and his 95% Physical Evasion.

Because Omega is a loving dick.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

Geomancer loves Barehanded for actual power, Sword Magic for making daggers not awful, or anything from the Chemist because Chemist.

I wanted to add that +LV from !Drink and !Mix add a lot more capability to the Geomancer by opening up the higher level Gaias and ensuring that they have a higher chance to hit. Geomancer's main problem is their frustrating probability, so you can get more consistent results out of them (and much higher damage) by boosting levels.

And yeah, +LV makes Monk go from "Worst Endgame Class" to "Holy Christ those numbers". Of all classes that benefit from +LV, Monk and Geo are two of the big ones

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Wolverine Tamer posted:

Just made it to world 2.

This sounds like the least fun run imaginable, holy poo poo.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Wolverine Tamer posted:

Just made it to world 2.

Enjoy releasing dragons at everything.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Poque posted:

This sounds like the least fun run imaginable, holy poo poo.

Hey mang, Beastmasters are fabulous, Mkay?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

axelsoar posted:

Buffs and debuffs matter in this one. Effective use of protect and shell will make a huge difference in keeping your team alive, and lots of things can be confused, berzerked, or silenced to good effect.

There is a weapon in world 1 that'll give your zerker a chance of casting doom, and this works on a surprising number of targets.

There are also some breakable staves you can get to your white magi.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Well sheesh, I ended up with the pretty drat busted team of Time Mage/ Mystic Knight/ Ranger/ Chemist.

I'm now kinda glad I picked the natural option by sorta mistake, mixing those classes together would make the game a tad too easy even if this is my first fiesta.

I'm still pretty confident about the rest of my run.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I've got Zerk/Zerk/RM/Bard

What sealed weapon should I nab for my Red Mage?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
For most purposes Red would rather have an Enhancer/Enchanter, which you get for free in Istory Falls and The Void. They can make use of assasin dagger, Magus Rod, and Sage Staff.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hey dudes, my first run for this year ended up Knight-Berserker-geomancer-Dragoon.

How possible are the super bosses? What should I be looking to do to prepare for World 2 Exdeath? ....and is this team better than I think it is? Because right now I'm a little down on it.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

@Ilyich_SA can now use the Earth Job 'Samurai'. Gil = 0

Final team is White Mage, Berserker, Ninja and Samurai. Pretty solid mix I think.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Two Geomancers with a Ninja and Red Mage. Anticipating this will be considerably less fun once I hit World 3 and throwing scrolls doesn't kill a lot of things anymore.

and apparently giving a Red Mage !Gaia doesn't give them the Geomancer's magic stat, which sucks because that was my plan for breaking rods. No buffs besides Protect... eesh.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ShadowedFlames posted:

How long does the fiesta run? I'm interested in making my first completed run of FFV during this event (I've gone to World 2 once before) but timing's an issue due to an impending move 130 miles away next week. (Well, money too but that's a separate issue.) I couldn't find an answer on the official site, so figured I'd ask here.

The Fiesta runs through the end of August. You've got plenty of time.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My team is now full: Thief / Mystic Knight / Ninja / Dancer. Some Sword Dance questions:

1) Does it work with two weapons?
2) The "use Sword Dance more frequently" items don't stack, right?
3) Is it modified by row?
4) Does it use Spellblade spells?

And another random question: right from when I got them all the way through the Ronka Ruins, my two ninjas whiffed constantly. Am I just unlucky, or is there some accuracy penalty for ninjas or two weapons or daggers or something?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OzFactor posted:

My team is now full: Thief / Mystic Knight / Ninja / Dancer. Some Sword Dance questions:

And another random question: right from when I got them all the way through the Ronka Ruins, my two ninjas whiffed constantly. Am I just unlucky, or is there some accuracy penalty for ninjas or two weapons or daggers or something?

yes yes yes yes no.

More specifically, if Sword Dance triggers, it'll Sword Dance both weapons, while if the other spells trigger, then your entire attack will be replaced. Sword Dance Up doesn't stack, it just replaces Tempting Tango with another Sword Dance. The other two answers are mostly obvious, I feel, though it's worth noting Spellblade won't affect the non-Sword Dance dance results.

As for your ninjas missing, there's no accuracy penalty or anything. In fact, daggers halve the target's evade! However, since your ninja is attacking twice as much, there's twice as many chances for them to miss compared to a non-dual-wielder. This will skew your perceptions some.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

1) Sure does.
2) Nope. This is why at endgame you wear Ribbon, Rainbow Dress, and Hermes Sandals.
3) Yeah.
4) Absolutely.

There's no accuracy penalties (aside from Blind) - were you using Spellblades at all? If the target is immune to your current spellblade, it is guaranteed to miss.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks friends! So basically I'm going to dance everything to death from here on out and punch myself in the face with fire swords to heal.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

For most purposes Red would rather have an Enhancer/Enchanter, which you get for free in Istory Falls and The Void. They can make use of assasin dagger, Magus Rod, and Sage Staff.

Yeah Ill grab the istory stuff I just got the sage staff for free raises for now because the only other sealed stuff I needed was the harp and the rune axe.
I'm thinking I'll grab the wonder wand too.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fungah! posted:

also what up shim
sup man :buddy:

So Omega will probably be a huge bastard to beat but possible, Shinryu should be straightforward, and NED is going to be a joke. Sounds good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aaaaand Berserker, for a final team of Ninja/Berserker/Samurai/Berserker. Glad I ground out 4 death sickles. Might grab a couple more for when I can put dualwield on my berserkers and Equip axes on my Ninja.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Aaaaand Berserker, for a final team of Ninja/Berserker/Samurai/Berserker. Glad I ground out 4 death sickles. Might grab a couple more for when I can put dualwield on my berserkers and Equip axes on my Ninja.

twinlance/chicken knife is way better endgame damage than two axes. axes are imo one of the worst weapon types in the game

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Fartz!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:siren: The chosen one is streaming :siren:

http://twitch.tv/everhate

He's level 80 now, btw.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Question: is the Dancing Dagger of any real use to a team of White Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai? I'm sure I don't need it, but I'm curious as to what, if any, utility it offers me.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

axes are imo one of the worst weapon types in the game

If you ignore bells, harps, fists, bows, and spears, maybe. I mean, seriously. Axes are crap until you get Death Sickles which are good enough to carry you all the way to Gaia Hammer/Rune Axe/Titan's Axe/Thor's Hammer, all of which are very good endgame weapons that happen to have the downside of not being the Chicken Knife/Masamune/Defender. So I guess if you're basing a weapon class's quality off of the Walse to Ancient Library stretch, sure, they're one of the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Maleketh posted:

Question: is the Dancing Dagger of any real use to a team of White Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai? I'm sure I don't need it, but I'm curious as to what, if any, utility it offers me.

Beastmaster can proc Swords Dance for some extra damage if they don't need to be doing anything else, I guess. Maybe give it to one of the mages for the chance of an Osmose?

Use it as a stat stick? I'm really reaching here.

Kyrosiris posted:

:siren: The chosen one is streaming :siren:

http://twitch.tv/everhate

He's level 80 now, btw.

He's at Exdeath again, so if you're gonna tune in, now's the time.

• Locked thread