Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Personally writing and story are the aspects of game I care about the least, even in role playing games. I'm way more interested in the core gameplay and ancillary aspects like the free exploration of worlds and the environment, things books don't handle very well.
Ya that stuff is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr Tastee posted:

It's a pretty restricting role. I'd like to be not straight when I could be my actual orientation in the last game and am dealing with a medium already oversaturated with heterosexual protagonists.

Bisexual people exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As do beards, even moreso in the 1950's!

Hmm, is the female-equivalent of a beard a Merkin?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah but then you have to choose two perks instead of just one :argh:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Bisexual people exist.

So? They're saying they're gay and the game prohibits them from expressing that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Frankston posted:

Fallout 4 is gonna be loving awesome and I can't wait

I honestly have no idea about this. The game (but not the war) has changed to the point I'm not 100 percent sure we'll have anything even close to the same experiences we had last time with Bethesda games. Flying power armor, base building, voiced protagonists and weird-rear end crafting, plus a story we know very little about ( I mean, yeah, it won't be on par with Obsidian's stuff but most writing isn't). It might be good? It might be a mess? I'll wait for reviews this time, I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It will be a mess even more glorious and enjoyable than the last several messes they released. Bethsoft games are always a mess, they're just fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I honestly have no idea about this. The game (but not the war) has changed to the point I'm not 100 percent sure we'll have anything even close to the same experiences we had last time with Bethesda games. Flying power armor, base building, voiced protagonists and weird-rear end crafting, plus a story we know very little about ( I mean, yeah, it won't be on par with Obsidian's stuff but most writing isn't). It might be good? It might be a mess? I'll wait for reviews this time, I think.

It's going to be just like every Bethesda game. Bad but still somehow pretty enjoyable (less bad with mods).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

So? They're saying they're gay and the game prohibits them from expressing that.

What a terror, the protagonist of a piece of fiction isn't identical with me, I'm literally shaking.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Bethesda has been making variations on the same game for over 10 years now so I wouldn't be worried

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

What a terror, the protagonist of a piece of fiction isn't identical with me, I'm literally shaking.

I dunno, doesn't seem crazy to me to want to see yourself represented in an area you usually aren't. Especially when it was something previous iterations of the games made easy.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well TV and film use the things unique to the medium in order to achieve things books aren't capable of.

Yeah, like interactivity, reactive storytelling... no, wait, that's video games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again, I maintain that your character simply starts with the option of a beard whether or not you modify their facial hair.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nevets posted:

Yeah, like interactivity, reactive storytelling... no, wait, that's video games.

I'd say that the reactive storytelling in videogames isn't much more advanced than what books can do with choose your own adventure style works.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Nevets posted:

Define "reactive storytelling"

Sharkopath posted:

I'd say that the reactive storytelling in videogames isn't much more advanced than what books can do with choose your own adventure style works.

Ya and when I was a kid I owned a choose your own adventure book titled "YOU ARE A SHARK" so video games have a ways to go

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

Today's Save was yesterdays dog-eared page.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Define "reactive storytelling"

Ya and when I was a kid I owned a choose your own adventure book titled "YOU ARE A SHARK" so video games have a ways to go

Could you be a transexual black shark though?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regardless of how well it fares in comparison with other media, talking about the story is perfectly fine, and "Why don't you try some James Joyce, you troglodyte?" in the middle of a video game thread in which people are discussing the story from that video game series is taste being wielded as cultural capital, and obnoxious, no matter which way you frame it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Run, Lola, Run did reactive storytelling better than any game, and that's just the first example that came to my mind.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Reason posted:

Could you be a transexual black shark though?
I don't think that is a thing

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

frajaq posted:

Yeah but then you have to choose two perks instead of just one :argh:

I have console commands, I can simply take whatever I want.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Fallout 4 might be a good game.

A dangerous opinion on the internet.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Regardless of how well it fares in comparison with other media, talking about the story is perfectly fine, and "Why don't you try some James Joyce, you troglodyte?" in the middle of a video game thread in which people are discussing the story from that video game series is taste being wielded as cultural capital, and obnoxious, no matter which way you frame it.

That's not what I said. I said books are better written/better stories.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So many people cynic about this game

have some fanart to cheer you up! remember fallout is silly and fun!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

steinrokkan posted:

I'm also real mad there aren't any zombie survival games with Stephen Hawking as the protagonist :mad:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't think that is a thing

You need to read less and google more, nerd.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

That's not what I said. I said books are better written/better stories.

That is the thing which I described (i.e. wielding one's taste as cultural capital by injecting an unrelated thing into a thread discussing the topic of said thread), and the exact words I put in place of the ones you typed are hyperbole designed to illustrate the pompous smugness contained between the lines. I hope this helps you understand.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's not unrelated. I don't understand why, when game mechanics and style are almost completely divorced from the writing, reading a book isn't a better alternative. You don't have to be so rude

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Media which utilize story are going to have that story discussed and analyzed as a part of the experience of those media and "novels are better at story" is in fact a red herring.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I love how imposing and mechanical they seem to be making the power armor in this game. In F3 and New Vegas, the power armor was just, well..Tougher armor. It didn't affect the way you moved, it didn't give you big boomy footsteps. It was all slightly underwhelming. Nobody even reacted to you becoming a walking tank.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

News today! Stories have better stories than video games!

Up next. Do Hats have thoughts? This reporter says that no, they do not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hihohe posted:

News today! Stories have better stories than video games!

Up next. Do Hats have thoughts? This reporter says that no, they do not.

It's like those Alpha Protocol news blurbs

"Is terrorism still a threat? Leading authors with books on terrorism say yes."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Media which utilize story are going to have that story discussed and analyzed as a part of the experience of those media and "novels are better at story" is in fact a red herring.

Well duh but if, as is the case with Fallout imo, the story is almost completely segmented off from the actual gameplay then what's the point? The writing itself is never going to compete with a well written book, of which there are, y'know, soooo many. Why not just read a book?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

In one of the preview videos they show the PC getting into the PA, pulling off a mounted minigun from a crashed vertibird, and going to town on some raiders. I'm hoping the plinking noises in the video are small caliber fire ricocheting off your armor rather than just the environment. I want to trundle along being tickled by 9mm and not have it do anything but scratch the paint.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

I love how imposing and mechanical they seem to be making the power armor in this game. In F3 and New Vegas, the power armor was just, well..Tougher armor. It didn't affect the way you moved, it didn't give you big boomy footsteps. It was all slightly underwhelming. Nobody even reacted to you becoming a walking tank.

It's the same with Fallout 1 and 2. Walk around starving and dehydrating peasants wearing hulking 8 feet tall metal power armor and they're all like "Hey what up, fellow starving and dehydrated peasant."

Could anyone imagine if Beth were to use power armor being like the driving parts in FPS games of the past. That is, they only happen at a certain part of the storyline and in a confined area. Considering how we see the PC suit-up, maybe this means it's being treated as more of a vehicle and less like 'clothes'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

In one of the preview videos they show the PC getting into the PA, pulling off a mounted minigun from a crashed vertibird, and going to town on some raiders. I'm hoping the plinking noises in the video are small caliber fire ricocheting off your armor rather than just the environment. I want to trundle along being tickled by 9mm and not have it do anything but scratch the paint.

I just had a thought.

This could be the best Space Marine game since, well, Space Marine.

Big beefy dude running around in power armour smashing mutants up with a thunder hammer and an assault pack.

Oh god I want to sperg out making every Bolter pattern in the entire rulebook yessssssss

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's not unrelated. I don't understand why, when game mechanics and style are almost completely divorced from the writing, reading a book isn't a better alternative. You don't have to be so rude

I sit here like a pleasant cherub, self-satisfied with my lot in life knowing that despite your valiant efforts to defend bookery against the onslaught of clumsy video storytelling, that this thread continues to be an enjoyable thread in a forum filled with threads - the vast majority of which I would probably consider unenjoyable - because I accept postings like this as digestible sidebar towards a game I am looking forward to playing that won't be released for another five months.

This is a post about reading your post.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nevets posted:

If I'm remembering right, Caesar only sees the legion as a means to an end, and he doesn't want it to last. When he started he only had a bunch of unreformable killers to work with, so he used them to do the only thing they would do, kill. The legion pacifies the land by killing the killers who wouldn't submit, and recruiting the killers who do, and it leaves behind all the peaceful and productive people. They get culturally homogenized to give them a sense of national pride and make them less rebellious. It's like a wildfire, burning up the dead brush and leaving behind fertile soil; but like a wildfire it's also always hungry and difficult to direct, so the legion has to continue marching west to keep it burning. Caesar's plan is brutal and inhumane but it would pacify the wasteland and create a large and strong nation state alot faster than the NCR would. Eventually after a few generations of oppression the New Rome would have recovered enough both economically and culturally that a new middle class of educated citizens would start pushing for democratic reforms and eventually revolution. And now you have a new USA that can condemn the actions of it's ancestors while still benefiting economically from their legacy.

So the legion is evil, and worse than the NCR, but it's not like Caesar is just balls to the wall wackadoo. The NCR is trying to build the new USA, Caesar is trying to conquer an empire that will birth the new USA.

Caesars plans are actually better than that. He want's to conquer the NCR specifically because he know that holding civilized territory will make his legions civilized. That is why he desperately wants to conquer the NCR before he dies and the legion disbands. Once they have beaten the NCR Caesar is unnecessary, in combination the Legion will purge the NCR of corruption and the NCR will civilize the Legion. He knows his system can't continue indefinitely.

It's all about the dialectics man!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Suave Fedora posted:

I sit here like a pleasant cherub, self-satisfied with my lot in life knowing that despite your valiant efforts to defend bookery against the onslaught of clumsy video storytelling, that this thread continues to be an enjoyable thread in a forum filled with threads - the vast majority of which I would probably consider unenjoyable - because I accept postings like this as digestible sidebar towards a game I am looking forward to playing that won't be released for another five months.

This is a post about reading your post.

Uhhh okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why having a wife and kid in 1950 is mutually exclusive with being gay.

• Locked thread