Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Palpek posted:

the punchline

it's u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

graph posted:

whered you learn all this

sailor moon was on ytv after school

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
when i was a kid, the cartoons on tv were tmnt, gi joe, he man, gummi bears, muppet babies, etc....

not all of them were good, but none of them were japanese

i feel sorry for the generation that grew up with japanese anime stuff instead of real cartoons as kids

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sniep posted:

when i was a kid, the cartoons on tv were tmnt, gi joe, he man, gummi bears, muppet babies, etc....
yeah, we had this too

and anime

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sniep posted:

i feel sorry for the generation that grew up with japanese anime stuff instead of real cartoons as kids

cool racism i guess?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

i remember a couple of japanese cartoons. "battle of the planets" and the one with the space battleship and its "wave motion gun" that was the whole front of the boat

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i dont recall those. idk

my bff has a 6 year old, so i occasionally get to see some modern cartoons

did oyu know that all cartoons now are 3d render shat out from computers? like one time at bring your kid to work day, he had inspector gadget on some of the monitors, and it's loving all re:boot style instead of normal cartoon.

its weird

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

i dont recall those. idk

did oyu know that all cartoons now are 3d render shat out from computers? like one time at bring your kid to work day, he had inspector gadget on some of the monitors, and it's loving all re:boot style instead of normal cartoon.

its weird

i remember when they started making bugs bunny cartoons that had some kind of 3-d shading effect on them. it made me uncomfortable

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

and now I'm a programmer for a living

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the only japanese show i saw on tv growing up was speed racer. is that anime?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sniep posted:

i dont recall those. idk

its weird
oh yeah, i've seen something like that and as somebody working in a visual medium it's terrifying to me and i'm imainging it's frying anything what is left of the kids' visual sensitivity

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the only japanese show i saw on tv growing up was speed racer. is that anime?

Yes.

French Canada was pretty much all Anime that never even got an English release. We didn't have Transformers, we had Goldorak. :france:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Palpek posted:

oh yeah, i've seen something like that and as somebody working in a visual medium it's terrifying to me and i'm imainging it's frying anything what is left of the kids' visual sensitivity

i wonder if its just because it's cheaper to produce since its just a half hour of dragging wireframes then hitting [RENDER], or if it's more easily digestible by autismnals, or both?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

echinopsis posted:

man that is about as fat as elvis really ever got

significantly smaller than most yosposters

check out that 70s makeup drat

man in the states people wouldnt even consider him fat thats so wild
still good to be so much thinner than the king, rip

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

w00tmonger posted:

same

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
the space battleship one i mentioned was "star blazers", and apparently the ship was named "yamato", which is the name of a wwii battleship, which seems like pretty poor taste

e: i'm not posting a picture because that would be anime

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 24, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

i dont recall those. idk

its weird

"2D" anime fighters also do this now since it's cheaper but they structure their animation and render filters so it looks drawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_xYdKaIyNM

They also do a camera-pan effect when the finishing blow lands since gently caress it, the structure's in place to do it easily

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCt7BJYvfw0

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

"2D" anime fighters also do this now since it's cheaper but they structure their animation and render filters so it looks drawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_xYdKaIyNM

They also do a camera-pan effect when the finishing blow lands since gently caress it, the structure's in place to do it easily

guilty gears faux 2d is done really well. they heavily distort the models to fake animation smears then render them offscreen as 2d projections so they can overlap the rest of the sprites and stuff properly.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2107579&postcount=241

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

yospos i liked speedracer and some of old 80's animes tell me its ok to like and that i am not some weeaboo human being for liking them

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

univbee posted:

Yes.

French Canada was pretty much all Anime that never even got an English release. We didn't have Transformers, we had Goldorak. :france:

And Sol the Clown in school. (i grew up in the prairies but in french immersion)

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Linux Pirate posted:

yospos i liked speedracer and some of old 80's animes tell me its ok to like and that i am not some weeaboo human being for liking them

you are a weaboo human being and we're gonna have to get the weaboo paddle out now

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
like none of you watched transformers when you were little too.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Linux Pirate posted:

i'm sorry, sir. you've got the animes

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

you are a weaboo human being and we're gonna have to get the weaboo paddle out now

but if we waste any more time on weeaboo we'll be bankrupt by the end of the month

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

the moomins cartoon was also an anime :rip:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

prefect posted:

the space battleship one i mentioned was "star blazers", and apparently the ship was named "yamato", which is the name of a wwii battleship, which seems like pretty poor taste

e: i'm not posting a picture because that would be anime

Space Battleship Yamato is one of the better-known old animes and it is something like recovering the wreck of the Yamato and turning it into a spaceship and having space adventures with it idk I've never actually watched it. There's some new remake about it, but the important thing is the Yamato itself, IIRC it was the literally biggest battleship that got built but then the Japanese lost all their carriers in Midway so they spent the rest of the naval front being too scared to use the ships they did have and the Yamato got sunk without ever seeing battle. Anyway point is the Yamato is a really iconic ship and probably the first thing someone would know about Japanese naval history.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Linux Pirate posted:

but if we waste any more time on weeaboo we'll be bankrupt by the end of the month

:allears:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quick reminder that there is an existing term for japanese cartoons and that word is "cartoons"

there is no need to invent a term for cartoons from a specific country

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Space Battleship Yamato is one of the better-known old animes and it is something like recovering the wreck of the Yamato and turning it into a spaceship and having space adventures with it idk I've never actually watched it. There's some new remake about it, but the important thing is the Yamato itself, IIRC it was the literally biggest battleship that got built but then the Japanese lost all their carriers in Midway so they spent the rest of the naval front being too scared to use the ships they did have and the Yamato got sunk without ever seeing battle. Anyway point is the Yamato is a really iconic ship and probably the first thing someone would know about Japanese naval history.

the liveaction movie was pretty good

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i enjoyed voltron as a wee lad

it seemed like it aired randomly tho, i forget which channel. usa maybe ?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
gi joe was on after roller derby in the mornings

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Stymie posted:

quick reminder that there is an existing term for japanese cartoons and that word is "cartoons"

there is no need to invent a term for cartoons from a specific country

"ban all japanese cartoons" doesn't sound as good as "ban all anime" though.

Boxturret posted:

the liveaction movie was pretty good

Do we count live action versions of anime as anime for purposes of board rules?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The question was rhetorical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmFSflNiQU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
on saturday mornings you had to suffer through muppet babies which was trash garbage in order to make it to peewee's playhouse and then after that was garfield and friends which was alright

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

univbee posted:

Yes.

did you get French anime? I watched French anime in Sweden in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE3-UAiy0Ks

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Inspector Gadget was french.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
what the gently caress google

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

w00tmonger posted:

They're rebooting reboot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

YF-23 posted:

"ban all japanese cartoons" doesn't sound as good as "ban all anime" though.

i'm fine with banning discussion of cartoons in general

• Locked thread