Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GlyphGryph posted:

So, let's ignore your pet hobby horse and your need to make every situation about it and it alone, and talk about what you would want us to do, as the next (but not final) step, that is better than denormalizing symbols of racial hatred and oppression?

Make it harder to get a handgun? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, go find the national news story that's about the endemic and entrenched societal racism that led to this shooting. I'm sad because the national conversation about this is apparently over, and it didn't even take a week.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

McDowell posted:

Slavery was becoming obsolete because of technology, so inevitably it becomes a question of how human beings are compensated for their labor. It is hard to imagine slavery surviving the shift from 1860 (with 50+% of people working in agriculture) to today.
This isn't really the scholarly consensus to my understanding, though it's not my sub-specialty. Slavery might not have made it to today, but it was insanely profitable and was on no path towards becoming less so for at least decades more.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Drone posted:

Sorry, sorry, I mean in terms of fighting the whole racism/white supremacy thing. Left out a couple words on the rewrite.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

People are saying that it's fine if the only outcome from the national discussion on race engendered by the AME shooting is that you can't buy a Stars n Bars belt buckle at Wal Mart. They are also saying this is real and meaningful change.

"We took the flag down because it's a symbol of racism and white supremacy and therefore has no place in society outside of tombstones and museums" - PROGRESS

"We took the flag down because Dylann Roof enjoyed waving it around and we want nothing to do with him, plus everyone else was taking it down at the time and we didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb" - NOT PROGRESS

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"We took the flag down because it's a symbol of racism and white supremacy and therefore has no place in society outside of tombstones and museums" - PROGRESS

"We took the flag down because Dylann Roof enjoyed waving it around and we want nothing to do with him, plus everyone else was taking it down at the time and we didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb" - NOT PROGRESS

If it relegates the Confederate flag to the dustbin of history, then I don't give a poo poo why they took it down/stopped selling it.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Drone posted:

Meaningful gun control? That's all? It's so simple! Why didn't I think of that?

But seriously, that'd be nice and all, but it isn't remotely possible. Even assuming broad popular support for that (which doesn't exist) the Senate could never pass anything with any real teeth.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Again, go find the national news story that's about the endemic and entrenched societal racism that led to this shooting. I'm sad because the national conversation about this is apparently over, and it didn't even take a week.

You mean the national conversation about racism is over because people are finally accepting that the confederate flag stands for racism? :confused:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AhhYes posted:

Meaningful gun control? That's all? It's so simple! Why didn't I think of that?

But seriously, that'd be nice and all, but it isn't remotely possible. Even assuming broad popular support for that (which doesn't exist) the Senate could never pass anything with any real teeth.

One week ago everyone would've said the same thing about the flag backlash.

botany posted:

You mean the national conversation about racism is over because people are finally accepting that the confederate flag stands for racism? :confused:

Yeah and the argument and discussion is "Is the flag racist" instead of "is our damaging and polarizing political rhetoric radicalizing white power youth" or any number of actual salient issues.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rhesus Pieces posted:

That Haley had all but encouraged it's continued existence on private property pretty much tells you which of these scenarios are most likely

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fried Chicken posted:

What Zoux's argument really comes down to is that that Zoux knows better than the black people who are pushing this about what will help black people, and that Zoux knows better than the activists who have been building these organizations about what these organizations can presently accomplish.

zoux posted:

Haha yeah that's my argument. That's what I'm arguing. Good poo poo Buddy.

zoux posted:

I do support it, I'm just dismayed that the national conversation has shifted so readily onto a symbolic tangential issue. This position has made some posters in this thread Extremely Mad.

Gun screening protocols would be positive and measurable change.

So again,

Fried Chicken posted:

What Zoux's argument really comes down to is that that Zoux knows better than the black people who are pushing this about what will help black people, and that Zoux knows better than the activists who have been building these organizations about what these organizations can presently accomplish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hm actually it sounds to me like YOU are the white paternalist, tbqf.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
On the contrary, I'd say this is a huge step forward and has some pretty big ramifications going forward. Open support for the country's biggest symbol of white supremacy just got eroded overnight. It's not going to magically make racism go away, but it's a much needed course correction that exposes those dogwhistles for what they truly are. Part of the reason why racism is so prevalent is because people grow up in environments where openly racist symbols are seen as normal. Anything that lessens that is important progress.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't actually care whether or not the absolute loving morons that populate America understands the dynamics of whatever at a collegiate level as long as they stop doing things that encourage and normalize racial oppression and help to prime youths like Roof towards radicalization.

You're calling for a deep and frank National Discussion towards an audience that has the political and intellectual depth of a puddle.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
Look at that fat guy out for a run! He's probably just doing it to *look* better, not because he's learned true mind body discipline. And he'll probably just go eat a million bowls of ice cream and get fatter now anyway, I'm assuming. This running nonsense is just a meaningless distraction and I'm against it!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

berzerker posted:

Look at that fat guy out for a run! He's probably just doing it to *look* better, not because he's learned true mind body discipline. And he'll probably just go eat a million bowls of ice cream and get fatter now anyway, I'm assuming. This running nonsense is just a meaningless distraction and I'm against it!

You're 'bout these false equivalencies today huh. In your analogy, going for a run would be what I want them to do, stapling up thinspiration photos on their bedroom walls is what you think is plenty of progress towards a goal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

berzerker posted:

I don't know why he's bothering either, to be honest. I mean, even if he truly believed it would help, he's still going to be fat after he's done running for the day, so can you call it a meaningful effort? And in like half an hour he's probably just going to stop, you know? So much for that!

zoux posted:

You're 'bout these false equivalencies today huh. In your analogy, going for a run would be what I want them to do, stapling up thinspiration photos on their bedroom walls is what you think is plenty of progress towards a goal.
Man, you're bad at analogies. The comparison doesn't work at all unless... oh, wait, I get it, this is self-deprecation on your part, isn't it?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Drone posted:

Didn't Roof pass a background check? His only "crimes" to date was drug possession IIRC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Didn't this guy pass a background check?

I believe that he was gifted the gun by his father because he was ineligible due to past felony convictions. Hey, maybe that's something the media could look into! How straw purchases allow felons to circumvent gun control laws!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

zoux posted:

I believe that he was gifted the gun by his father because he was ineligible due to past felony convictions. Hey, maybe that's something the media could look into! How straw purchases allow felons to circumvent gun control laws!

Okay but my point is his crime was non-violent and victimless. And how could you realistically enforce--before the shooting--background checks between family members anyway?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Hey, maybe that's something the media could look into! How straw purchases allow felons to circumvent gun control laws!

Scour the country clean of symbols and statues and reverence of an institution of brutal slavery, racial oppression, and hatred?

No, no, why don't we instead focus on my specific pet issue.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Actually I think the story yesterday was he bought the gun near (25 min drive in SC is near) his home with his parents' birthday money.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I believe that he was gifted the gun by his father because he was ineligible due to past felony convictions.

I'm still unsure at this point because I heard it was either that or his convictions didn't go through to the national database.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

Scour the country clean of symbols and statues and reverence of an institution of brutal slavery, racial oppression, and hatred?

No, no, why don't we instead focus on my specific pet issue.

Why was slavery bad?

The answer should be more complicated than 'it was racist'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's not my pet issue. That's just one of many issues that I wish we were talking about in the media. Getting rid of the confederate flag is literally the least we could do.

computer parts posted:

I'm still unsure at this point because I heard it was either that or his convictions didn't go through to the national database.

It's too bad that we don't have some sort of system to investigate and report on things to people. Oh well, here's Don Lemon on if the Confederate Flag is worse than Obama saying the n-word.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

zoux posted:

What honestly makes you believe white america's gonna bother with gun control laws in the aftermath of a guy killing 9 black people when they couldn't manage that after 20 white children were slain?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Impermanent posted:

What honestly makes you believe white america's gonna bother with gun control laws in the aftermath of a guy killing 9 black people when they couldn't manage that after 20 white children were slain?

You're right, maybe we should just never bother with anything ever again.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

The whole point of a straw purchase is that it's all but impossible to stop beforehand anyway soooo :shrug:

Good to see some leftists applauding someone they disagree with losing rights solely based on drug indictments, not convictions, though.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

zoux posted:

That's not my pet issue. That's just one of many issues that I wish we were talking about in the media. Getting rid of the confederate flag is literally the least we could do.
The least we could do is nothing, like after Sandy Hook.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

The whole point of a straw purchase is that it's all but impossible to stop beforehand anyway soooo :shrug:

Good to see some leftists applauding someone they disagree with losing rights solely based on drug indictments, not convictions, though.

I don't agree that gun ownership is a right.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zoux posted:

We are bothering with something right now, you're just upset because we are bothering with something that you don't think is a big deal, even though we've done it your way after most of the previous shootings.

zoux posted:

In America? Would you like to make any additional statements about how your opinions are not in fact based on reality but rather on wishful thinking? I think it really helps your arguments.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
All of this aside, zoux complaining that there's not actually a national discussion on race and racism in America is a straight up falsehood. Just now I easily pulled up a dozen journalism pieces and articles discussing the Charleston shooting giving context and depth to it while specifically calling out multiple problems with American society that contribute to the undercurrent of racism.

If you're expecting Fox News and CNN to give collegiate level presentations then you are a drooling moron and will literally never ever be satisfied. You've forgotten just how straight up unintelligent the majority of our voters are, let alone our non-voters. The Debate On Race is happening right now and it's there if you go look for it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

It's far more important than a right, it's something white people feel entitled to.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

So again,

zoux posted:

Hm actually it sounds to me like YOU are the white paternalist, tbqf.

No less a person than Ta-Nehisi Coates demanded the Confederate flag to be taken down a day after the Charleston shooting.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

zoux posted:

That's your pet cause, not mine. I'm just happy the confederate flags are going down. Then I'm going to paint a big mural that says "RACISM IS DEAD FOREVER" and donate my life savings to Wal-Mart, amazon, ebay and NASCAR. Because even that would be a more realistic response than expecting a national news story about the endemic and entrenched societal racism that led to this shooting.

The whole point of white supremacy is that it confers invisible benefits to the privileged class. White america is not going to step down and start an earnest discussion about race because you want it to.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

zoux posted:

He bought it with birthday money, the press already did look into it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

zoux posted:

Do you agree it's probably bad policy to restrict someone from, like, anything solely because they were accused of a crime? It's cliche but liberty does involve accepting some otherwise avoidable risks, dawg.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Do you agree it's probably bad policy to restrict someone from, like, anything solely because they were accused of a crime? It's cliche but liberty does involve accepting some otherwise avoidable risks, dawg.

I think in this case it would've been good if Dylann Roof didn't have a gun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
GUN CONTROL?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

quote:

In the wake of the Charleston shooting, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) are considering ways to renew their failed push to expand meaningful background checks on gun purchases.

In separate interviews Tuesday night, at a reception before a ceremony hosted by Sandy Hook families where Toomey was honored, the senators discussed their desire to find a new way forward.

“We want to make sure we have the votes. Pat’s going to have to, and I’ll work with him, to get some of our colleagues on the Republican side,” Manchin said, adding that he hasn’t talked directly to Toomey about a revival.

Manchin specifically mentioned an effort aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of people diagnosed with mental illness.

Though the effort is far from being fully formed, Toomey also said he’s looking for opportunities to reintroduce something related to combating gun violence.

“What I’m trying to figure out is, is there something that could get the support of the 60 votes that we would need in the Senate,” Toomey said. “Joe Manchin was and is a great partner and someone I will continue to work with, and I’m open to exploring what is possible.”

He added that nothing was imminent, “but if we stay at it I think we’ll find a way to make progress.”

If the two senators team up to tackle any facet of gun control, it would mark a significant shift in the political debate nearly a week after nine people were killed at a Bible study group in downtown Charleston, S.C.

President Obama noted last week that once again, someone got a gun who shouldn’t have had access to it.

“Now is the time for mourning and for healing, but let’s be clear: At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency,” the president said on Thursday.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Tuesday that something must be done to expand background checks.

“Is that asking too much? Couldn’t we at least do this little thing to stop people who are mentally ill, people who are criminals from purchasing guns?” Reid said on the Senate floor.

But any sort of gun-control effort would face an uphill battle in the GOP-majority Senate. Since Manchin and Toomey’s effort to tighten background check rules for firearm purchases narrowly failed in April 2013, there’s been precious little debate on the subject.

Accepting his award on Tuesday night, a visibly emotional Toomey said that despite some of the political fallout from his conservative base, he’d “do it again in a heartbeat.” He said he does have two regrets, however. One, that the 2013 bill didn’t pass. And, “that it took me so long before I raised my voice on this very important issue,” he said.

Before becoming the GOP face of the background check fight, Toomey, a conservative fiscal hawk mostly famous for forcing the late Arlen Specter to switch political parties, shocked the political class by co-sponsoring a gun-control bill with Manchin.

Toomey, who is up for reelection next year, has spoken little about the 2013 failure, refocusing his policy fights on his budgetary wheelhouse.

Until now.

Toomey was honored Tuesday night by families who know too well the unspeakable pain of losing a loved one in a senseless mass killing.

He was there to accept the inaugural Champion Award from the group Sandy Hook Promise whose members are related to some of the 20 elementary school children and six educators murdered in Newtown, Conn., in December 2012. In the absence of political will, Sandy Hook Promise uses marriage equality as a model for how public pressure can force change.

“Sometimes you need a good failure to spur you on for success. It was a lesson we learned that not everything can be solved through legislation and politics,” said Nicole Hockley, whose son, Dylan, died at Sandy Hook, before the event.

It was the horror of that massacre that spurred Toomey to defy his political party and partner with Manchin on the background-check bill.

The day the bill failed, with only Toomey and three other Republicans supporting it, as Sandy Hook families looked on from the Senate gallery, Obama called it “shameful.”

Just this week, during an interview with podcaster Marc Maron, Obama said that day was “the closest I came to feeling disgusted. I was pretty disgusted."

But but but America isn't discussing or deliberating any meaningful action! The national conversation is already over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Senator Pinckney's last trip to the statehouse :(

A good amount of people there but not a ton, there's open viewing from 1-5pm I'll probably head back and get some more pics of the crowd.

• Locked thread